Sign in to follow this  
Legorigs

[MOC] MACK Cruiseliner 'Pig Pen'

Build after the co-star in the 1978 movie 'Convoy'. It's in scale 1:13 and it took me quite a while to get all the dark purple and bulk white bricks.

I set off starting to build the black 'Rubber Duck' MACK R700 fromt the same movie, but I changed my plans after Anders Gaasedal finished his version in that year and I ought to thank him for that because it made me start on this model.

The MACK Cruiseliner brought a lot of new challenges and it was not that I could copy the red Cruiseliner that I've build earlier. Most challenging was finding the parts in the color dark purple. It isn't that common and some parts that I would like to use, are not available. So, with the available set of parts, I started of designing digitally in Leocad. After that I was able to import the partslist into Bricklink, to find out that the 1x1 plate in dark purple had a huge pricetag. To overcome that financial issue, I had to replace all the 1x1 plates in the design for more affordable alternatives. With orders for other projects I collected the parts I needed for building the cabin.

After the cab I started on the chassis and the MACK camelbacksuspension on the rear, and with some chromed parts it allready looked great. Next was the V8 engine, that eventually made me to rebuild the interior of the cabin, to get it fitting over that engine. I designed the striping and lettering so it resembles the prototype.

Impressive as the MACK is, it wouldn't be 'Pig Pen' without the reason for the alias. So I had to design the livestock trailer. Leocad proved to be great for my numerous failed attempts. In the end I got to this way to make the trailer. Although it looks fragile, it's rather sturdy.

52337135747_88d6c0ec1e_b.jpg

Edited by Legorigs
Posted a bigger picture.

Hi @Legorigs

Nice to see you posting your awesome models here :thumbup:
I have moved your topic to the Technic/Scale Modeling Forum.
It would be great if you could post a few more pics of the Mack, and a more descriptive description, so we can frontpage it, and attract more attention.

6 hours ago, Milan said:

It would be great if you could post a few more pics of the Mack, and a more descriptive description,

+100

Awesome! Convoy was the first movie I ever watched on VHS, back in 1982 when I was 7. When I was 5 to 9 years old I was obsessed with big rigs.

Well done!!!

Wow! This is not about the vehivle - it's a part of Great America!

It would be nice to see more photos and descroption, as Milan says.

I absolutely love this. The detail is spot on. It's so cool.

l saw the Conoy movie at the cinema with my Dad when it first came out and it's been one of my favourites ever since. 

I've never seen that movie, but the truck looks awesome regardless. I love those old foam tyres, in my opinion the best ones ever made for Technic.

This is amazing!! Watched the movie Convoy so many times and always wanted to build this one. I did the Rubber Duck and i think this will look very fitting next to it. You've motivated me to start my own project. Great job!!!