Sign in to follow this  
madjelly

Getting into Pirates

Hey everyone,

I wanted to get into Pirates, but is seems the ship has sailed, har har har. Apart from the current Creator set, other more or less reasonably priced options are Barracuda Bay (21322) and Brick Bounty (70413), which are discontinued. Anything else I should be looking out for that might have great parts for the theme?

Edited by madjelly

I know the online LEGO pick a brick has some pirate mini figures parts, windows and doors, that type of thing if you wanted some more basic parts and some good mini figures.

Myself I absolutely love the Pirates of Barracuda Bay and have purchased plans for MOCs that share similar design aesthetics. Regardless there is a lot of great content to partake in here on Eurobricks, and there’s the Classic Pirates Blog too. I also like a YouTube channel by the name of MOCYourBricks that does videos showing MOCs being assembled of pirate ships he’s designed. I just missed ou on buying the Barracuda Bay set but plan on buying the parts I need to recreate it overtime. I would feel bad at this point buying one new in the box as they cost quite a bit more than they did when released and opening the box would devalue the set, and I want to build and display it, not look at a cardboard box. As always we can hope that they’ll release new Pirate theme sets. The 3 in 1 Creator set is a pretty cool set that gives you three things to build, and is also agreat source of pieces like cannons and mini figs and other stuff even if you just wanted to combine the parts with other elements like OG hull pieces and cloth sails.

Edited by Pirate_King_1982

If you are new to Pirates, i think its good think to look in the section Useable Parts for Pirates (or so). You should also look on ebay for some older sets. If you have a bricklink account you could find a lot of parts and sets in different price categories. If you want some information on older sets. Brickset is your place to be. When you choose the pirate section, all sets from 1989 up to now will be revealed. If you have no problem with digital 3d editors i would highly recommend stud.io its the software from bricklink. Its updated constantly. For some of us (i'm one of them) its the tool where we build most of our mocs. Apart from beeing a tool to build digital lego mocs its also a really good tool to learn lego bricks/elements. You can also see information on a brick with a link to bricklink. before i used it i didnt know what a modified brick is. This tool is really valuable. When you need minifigures who are relativly new and you are a friend of the more imperial side of pirate thinks i can recommend the torsos of the set 10297. The Boutique Hotel.They are green and i think they are a really good torso for a green guard or so. if you can get hands on some Morions (The Helmets of Spanish Conquistadors), you should search on bricklink, the christmas elf torso is a nice torso for an imperial armada marine or soldier.

If you need shiphulls (the 16 stud wide) in a different color you could find them on pick a brick (online). Set 71391. Bowsers Airship. If you have questions to certain parts i could show much more. 

On Pick a brick (online) they have a category: Ship parts https://www.lego.com/en-us/pick-and-build/pick-a-brick?page=1&filters.i0.key=variants.attributes.subcategoryId&filters.i0.values.i0=73

Also you should search for other categories; Minifigure Hair [232] Minifigure Handheld Accessories [380] Minifigure Heads [205] Minifigure Headwear [195] Minifigure Tools & Accessories [139] Minifigure Torso & Legs [454]Signs, Flags & Poles [151]

You will find a lot of things you can use for pirate figures, such as Flags, Bicornes, Tricornes, flintlock pistols/Guns, sabers, other swords (Katanas...), nautical instruments, and also some torsos and legs.

Edited by CaptainPolluxofOrion

On 9/6/2022 at 9:21 AM, madjelly said:

Anything else I should be looking out for that might have great parts for the theme?

There be this minifig:

image.png

57 minutes ago, Mister Phes said:

image.png

That's a new one to me. Which set does it come from?
Its especially interesting for the recolored hat+hair combo, but the torso is nice as well.

Actually that torso comes from a set, 75292 The Razor Crest and now it is also available at Build a Minifigure in Lego shops.

On 9/9/2022 at 5:27 PM, CaptainPolluxofOrion said:

If you are new to Pirates, i think its good think to look in the section Useable Parts for Pirates (or so). You should also look on ebay for some older sets. If you have a bricklink account you could find a lot of parts and sets in different price categories. If you want some information on older sets. Brickset is your place to be. When you choose the pirate section, all sets from 1989 up to now will be revealed. If you have no problem with digital 3d editors i would highly recommend stud.io its the software from bricklink. Its updated constantly. For some of us (i'm one of them) its the tool where we build most of our mocs. Apart from beeing a tool to build digital lego mocs its also a really good tool to learn lego bricks/elements. You can also see information on a brick with a link to bricklink. before i used it i didnt know what a modified brick is. This tool is really valuable. When you need minifigures who are relativly new and you are a friend of the more imperial side of pirate thinks i can recommend the torsos of the set 10297. The Boutique Hotel.They are green and i think they are a really good torso for a green guard or so. if you can get hands on some Morions (The Helmets of Spanish Conquistadors), you should search on bricklink, the christmas elf torso is a nice torso for an imperial armada marine or soldier.

If you need shiphulls (the 16 stud wide) in a different color you could find them on pick a brick (online). Set 71391. Bowsers Airship. If you have questions to certain parts i could show much more. 

On Pick a brick (online) they have a category: Ship parts https://www.lego.com/en-us/pick-and-build/pick-a-brick?page=1&filters.i0.key=variants.attributes.subcategoryId&filters.i0.values.i0=73

Also you should search for other categories; Minifigure Hair [232] Minifigure Handheld Accessories [380] Minifigure Heads [205] Minifigure Headwear [195] Minifigure Tools & Accessories [139] Minifigure Torso & Legs [454]Signs, Flags & Poles [151]

You will find a lot of things you can use for pirate figures, such as Flags, Bicornes, Tricornes, flintlock pistols/Guns, sabers, other swords (Katanas...), nautical instruments, and also some torsos and legs.

Thanks a lot for the useful info. I will do more research for specific parts and will keep an eye on the nice sets at good prices.  

Edited by madjelly

5 hours ago, Yperio_Bricks said:

Actually that torso comes from a set, 75292 The Razor Crest and now it is also available at Build a Minifigure in Lego shops.

Ye be thanked, Sir.

12 hours ago, GeoBrick said:

Please, elaborate then?

Aye yes - I replied to your message early in the morning when I was half asleep.

A more helpful answer is:

I got mine from Bricks Megastore (which is a LEGO® Certified Store) as part of the LEGO® Build a Minifigure (3-Pack) offer:

https://lego.bricksmegastore.com/collections/lego-build-a-minifigure-3-pack

Lego knows there's a bunch of hardcore pirate fans that can be milked semi-regularly, so no doubt there will be more pirate-themed sets released sporadically over the coming years.

Sadly the last time a full theme was released was 2015, but since then we've had a Pirates of The Caribbean ship, the Creator 3in1 set and the Pirates of Barracuda Bay Ideas set as well as a couple of piratical minifigs in the collectible minifig line.

If you want to get started at the moment the Creator 3in1 set is the obvious choice and there's also a pirate accessory pack https://www.lego.com/en-au/product/pirates-and-treasure-vip-add-on-pack-40515 that might be relatively easy to obtain. An aftermarket Barracuda Bay set also shouldn't be too expensive if you can find one.

Resurrecting the thread so I guess it is about zombie pirates now :pir-skel:.

Anyways, so after looking around and seeing the prices, I ended up getting the Lion Knight's Castle 10305 since it made more financial sense for me. I got interested in pirates again this year and being in a better financial situation was able to get Barracuda Bay 21322 set. Just wow! Amazing set even after building something like the castle. 

I am eyeing Brick Bounty 70413 under $200 USD. Seems like a good set to pair with Barracuda Bay. Is it actually a good set or should I maybe look into something better for a bit more $?

Edited by madjelly

I don't know if you have already done it, but I would go for the already available sets like Eldorado Fortress and the creator ship. This ship did not impress me when it was revealed but I really like it now.. It has many details and scales really well with buildings like the Fortress or the original imperial port.

As for 70413, I feel like that the bow (front) and center are quite empty. I don't know how to say it, but compared to older ships, the build is pretty basic. The stern is OK. The ship itself isn't bad, it's just less to my taste. I don't own the 2009 one but it's quite similar I think.

If you don't own the creator ship, I would go for it first.

Eldorado Fortress definitely looks nice and I am planning to get one for sure. As for the ships, from a beginner perspective, Brick Bounty seems like it has nice parts to use for future builds. Personally, I don’t like the brick sails in the creator set. But that set does have a lot of good parts and I seen conversions using aftermarket sails. Also, I am thinking that getting discontinued sets at decent price would be a priority since new sets still have some time left before retiring.

3 hours ago, madjelly said:

Eldorado Fortress definitely looks nice and I am planning to get one for sure. As for the ships, from a beginner perspective, Brick Bounty seems like it has nice parts to use for future builds. Personally, I don’t like the brick sails in the creator set. But that set does have a lot of good parts and I seen conversions using aftermarket sails. Also, I am thinking that getting discontinued sets at decent price would be a priority since new sets still have some time left before retiring.

Just remember that during the time that Brick Bounty was out, Lego has big issues with brittle Reddish Brown and Pearl Gold pieces. I bought a used one where a lot of the Pearl Gold pieces broke. But the smaller pieces can always be replaced by Lego and it shouldn't affect the big pieces, like the hulls and masts.

The brick bounty and brick beards bounty are not good ships from my perspective.

The figs in both are decent, but I’d recommend trying for either in box new or built once and displayed 2015 sets. 
 Parting them out via bricklink isn’t really viable due to the huge cost of the figs on the secondary market.

On 2/3/2024 at 12:14 PM, Jiesdeo said:

Just remember that during the time that Brick Bounty was out, Lego has big issues with brittle Reddish Brown and Pearl Gold pieces. I bought a used one where a lot of the Pearl Gold pieces broke. But the smaller pieces can always be replaced by Lego and it shouldn't affect the big pieces, like the hulls and masts.

Ah, when color matches the quality. Thanks for the heads up, I will try to be more careful. Does Lego replace pieces in the sets bought elsewhere too? I am not an expert so I always thought it was only for the purchases from them.

On 2/3/2024 at 4:44 PM, thewatchman said:

The brick bounty and brick beards bounty are not good ships from my perspective.

The figs in both are decent, but I’d recommend trying for either in box new or built once and displayed 2015 sets. 
 Parting them out via bricklink isn’t really viable due to the huge cost of the figs on the secondary market.

Yeah, Bricklink in this case didn't seem like a great option. Was able to find sealed Brick Bounty for $185 USD which was acceptable price for me. 

Your best bet is to acquire a time machine and travel back to the late 80s and 90s when the sets were still on shelves.

Or, if you're a more limited budget, travel back to the mid 2000s when the classic sets were available quite cheaply on eBay.  You could snag some terrific bargains back in those days.

On 9/6/2022 at 2:21 AM, madjelly said:

Hey everyone,

I wanted to get into Pirates, but is seems the ship has sailed, har har har. Apart from the current Creator set, other more or less reasonably priced options are Barracuda Bay (21322) and Brick Bounty (70413), which are discontinued. Anything else I should be looking out for that might have great parts for the theme?

If I were you I'd buy old Pirate sets from Bricklink or Ebay.

9 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

Your best bet is to acquire a time machine and travel back to the late 80s and 90s when the sets were still on shelves.

Or, if you're a more limited budget, travel back to the mid 2000s when the classic sets were available quite cheaply on eBay.  You could snag some terrific bargains back in those days.

I shall become a time bandit. Yarrrr!

11 hours ago, madjelly said:

I shall become a time bandit. Yarrrr!

Time Cruiser - here be yer vessel:

image.png

7 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

Time Cruiser - here be yer vessel:

image.png

Now that brings memories. Loved the mishmash of parts as a kid.