Chapter 4 - The Storm
Chapter 5 - The Poker Game
Chapter 6 - Dancing with the Marquis
Chapter 7 - On the MSS
Chapter 8 - Practice makes perfect
Chapter 9 - Questions and Strange Relationships
Chapter 10 - Even More Questions & Stranger Things
Chapter 11 - The Past and the Present 
Chapter 12 - Showdown in Corrington (you are here)

800x595.jpg

Interrogator: After all you have told me, Lady Bonny, I have come to the conclusion that the Marquis' claim to his title is legit!

That is fantastic news. Corrington’s high society will be sooooooooooooo delighted to meet him.

800x562.jpg

Interrogator:  And I am a bit of a poker player myself. I sure would like to have a match with him some day!

Lady Bonny (sighs)

Some weeks later:

Cut to a military reception in Belson, Corrington for a special guest.

800x600.jpg

The Corrington Army never wastes an opportunity to boast some of their new uniform designs…

640x480.jpg

The Marquis rushed past the guards and towards the officer in command, who had drawn his rapier.
Obviously the Marquis was under the impression that the officer wanted to challenge him to a duel!

800x593.jpg

Seeing that the Marquis was about to draw his sword and start a fight, the interrogator stopped him in the nick of time.

Interrogator:  No, he does not want to attack you. He has raised his rapier as a sign of honour!

The Marquis calmed down again. (vous vous vous)

800x582.jpg

Then they met in a fine hall in Belson for their grand match.

Interrogator: Well, my dear Marquis, let me quickly recap the rules for our game today.
640x485.jpg

We will play draw poker, as you seem to prefer it in Eslandola. Both players will be accompanied by a second of their choice who are going to survey the course of the match.
    You seem to have appointed Mr. Herlock Sholmes of Belson. I have chosen my friend Biff.

Mr. Sholmes, is everything alright with the setup and the cards?

640x444.jpg

Sholmes: Everything is perfect. I have checked the card decks personally before the game.

Interrogator: And Biff, all clear from your perspective.

Biff: Just fine. Had a nice wine. Was good. In the mood.

Interrogator: Right, then let’s begin. We will play for exquisite gold doubloons.

Marquis: (nods)

The game commenced and both players won and lost small sums. Whenever a new deck of cards was opened, the Marquis had a tendency to lose – but he got better over time.

Then – playing with card deck number three – the tension started to mount.
The Marquis had already bet a nice amount of money and his opponent had not backed out.
The gold coins were piling up on the table, besides that ugly vase that the interrogator had insisted on being there.

It was a sure win for the Marquis. He had three of a kind and he was pretty sure that his opponent was bluffing, having nothing but four irrelevant cards of spade and one card of diamonds.

Spoiler

The Marquis’ excellent short-term memory allowed him to keep track of every card he had seen during the game

800x600.jpg

All of a sudden the interrogator called out “Biff” and his friend Biff was surprised and reacted with a sneeze – which caught Mr. Sholmes attention
… and the interrogator used this brief moment to slip the ace of spades from underneath the table!

800x600.jpg

With his sight blocked by the vase, the Marquis could not notice this cheating move.
So, when the interrogator raised the stakes again, he called. And suddenly they had both gone all in.

The Marquis presented his three of a kind …

800x561.jpg

… and with a malicious grin, the interrogator put down his cards one by one. Finally, the aces of spades. A flush. The Marquis had lost!

800x600.jpg

The Marquis stared in quiet disbelief.

800x600.jpg

- cliffhanger - 

- ok, let's go on - 

Just as the interrogator was about to collect the money, a sharp voice called out: “Not so fast, Lessiarty!”

The interrogator, Mr. Lessiarty, froze instantly.

Herlock Sholmes had risen to his feet and had fixed his eyes on the winning cards on the table:

I knew that you would cheat at some point, Lessiarty!

Lessiarty: How dare you! I have not cheated. I have not marked the cards!

Sholmes: That is correct. You have not marked the cards.
               I have.

800x557.jpg

Herlock Sholmes:     You see, I had suspected you to try something sinister since I heard that you had been questioning Lady Bonny endlessly about my friend, the Marquis.
      I think you wanted to be sure that he would not cheat. And we all know that he doesn’t. Nor does he bluff.

Before the game I have applied small markings to all of the card decks to be used.
      That is, every legitimate card on this table should now have a very small number “3” on its back, which can easily be seen using this magnifying glass here.

640x963.jpg

Lessiarty (turns red)

Sholmes: And if I start to examine those five cards now, I am quite certain that one of these cards will
    not have a mark on it. Which will make it evident that you have cheated!

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
    Elementary, Lessiarty!

800x600.jpg

With an angry cry of “Eeek” and “Vous Vous Vous”, the enraged Marquis jumped up from his chair and drew his sword!

Lessiarty also sprang up as the raging Marquis was approaching fast! Lessiarty raised his arms, shouting: "Don’t hurt me, don’t hurt me!"

800x600.jpg

But the Marquis was already upon him – and with one swift and well-placed blow he cut Lessiarty’s belt…

His trousers fell down and an utterly disgraced Lessiarty left the place of his defeat running

800x600.jpg

Herlock: No worries, inspector Destrale and my assistant Professor Sonwat are awaiting him outside.
          We have suspected Lessiarty to be a card cheat for some time.

Now I could finally bring him down, thanks to you, my friend.

The Marquis: (nods and grins)

640x532.jpg

Biff (a bit belated): What has happened?

Herlock (ignoring Biff):  As one of the players was caught cheating, the pot goes to the remaining other player.
                                     That seems to make up a nice amount of money.
                                     I suggest we have some celebration, or say party.

The Marquis: (nods and grins)

(Destrale and Professor Sonwat enter with Lessiarty in chains)

800x520.jpg

Sonwat: Party, I hear?

Herlock: Yes, but do not let the Marquis find the drums!

800x454.jpg

But it was already too late! The Marquis was drumming away enthusiastically - and he would not stop!

The party lasted for three days …

Spoiler

Remember: Just never give a drum set to a monkey if you want to sleep at some time...

By the way, this is how Samba was finally introduced to Corrington.

800x555.jpg

And also in Corrington, the Marquis was the talk of the town.

(the end)

Some drumming evidence:

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/nge1GT51QoE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XRuO-XIGFw

That was an enjoyable storyline and actually the first one that I had almost completely written and photographed before I started to post it.:pir_laugh2:

10 hours ago, Captain Braunsfeld said:

The Corrington Army never wastes an opportunity to boast some of their new uniform designs…

:iamded_lol:

Those blue pillars are quite striking.  I kind of like the way they work with the red.  How clever of the marquis to bring a detective along. 

But what we all really want to know: where did the vase go?  It's not there in the last picture!

7 hours ago, evancelt said:

:pir-grin:

I take this as a long, elaborate verbal praise :pir-grin:

2 hours ago, Kai NRG said:

:iamded_lol:

Those blue pillars are quite striking.  I kind of like the way they work with the red.  How clever of the marquis to bring a detective along. 

But what we all really want to know: where did the vase go?  It's not there in the last picture!

The detective - how clever of me to introduce him some chapters back :pir_laugh2:

The vase: is at the wall on the very left.

Did you see that I managed to get the head and torso of one of the prize figures? Was not so easy :pir-grin:

This is a very good and funny story. :pir_laugh2: Herlock Sholmes has solved a crime. The interrogator's different facial expressions are well adapted to the story. Haha, at the end he stands there without pants.

I like the buildings at the military reception. The last 2 photos with the party are funny. It's fun to watch everyone celebrate.

So this is where everything was going?  I have to say I was not expecting that!  Lessiarty picked the wrong duo to go up against :pir-laugh:

Really fun build and I especially love that final party version! :pir-sweet:. I see even the gorilla master made it to the celebration.  And of course, never give drums to monkeys or children! :pir-grin:

11 hours ago, Captain Braunsfeld said:

The vase: is at the wall on the very left.

How did I miss that? 

11 hours ago, Captain Braunsfeld said:

Did you see that I managed to get the head and torso of one of the prize figures? Was not so easy :pir-grin:

:excited:

16 hours ago, NOD said:

This is a very good and funny story. :pir_laugh2: Herlock Sholmes has solved a crime. The interrogator's different facial expressions are well adapted to the story. Haha, at the end he stands there without pants.

I like the buildings at the military reception. The last 2 photos with the party are funny. It's fun to watch everyone celebrate.

I am quite happy with that final chapter. Almost too long for one chapter. 

And for the party pictures I thought it was good to bring back some characters that appeared during the storyline.

12 hours ago, Garmadon said:

So this is where everything was going?  I have to say I was not expecting that!  Lessiarty picked the wrong duo to go up against :pir-laugh:

Really fun build and I especially love that final party version! :pir-sweet:. I see even the gorilla master made it to the celebration.  And of course, never give drums to monkeys or children! :pir-grin:

Strange that a man with such a friendly smile as Lessiarty would be up to something bad.

And now we have arrived in the Marquis' present. So, who knows what's next.

Yes, and never give trumpets to monkeys or children!

12 hours ago, Kai NRG said:

How did I miss that? 

Can't say :pir-laugh:

Meanwhile I also have the right hat for that minifig. The lego store in our town sells custom minifigs at the checkout counter. But they only have the same bunch of minifigs for a few days (weeks?). 

I was able to catch some wizards, pirates and knights over the past few weeks, but it was never possible to come back for more - because they were presenting new minifigs by then. :pir-cry_sad:

11 hours ago, Professor Thaum said:

:grin:

Excellent !

I like this story.

And this poker duel is very intense.

Me too. Glad you enjoyed this exciting duel! :grin:

long, elaborate verbal praise from me as well! Always positive to see more poker games popping up around the brick seas! Great game.

14 hours ago, Fraunces said:

long, elaborate verbal praise from me as well! Always positive to see more poker games popping up around the brick seas! Great game.

Thanks. Fortunately/unfortunately this concludes the storyline about the Marquis. What do I do now? :pir-look:

Thanks. Fortunately/unfortunately this concludes the storyline about the Marquis. What do I do now? :pir-look:

I love to read your stories! So much fun! I hope the Marquis did not only win doubloons but also some precious Pnennys :laugh:

5 hours ago, Professor Thaum said:

There is something to dig about priceless goats :pir_laugh2:

They have a price. And I have sold one in July :pir-laugh:

2 hours ago, Yperio_Bricks said:

I love to read your stories! So much fun! I hope the Marquis did not only win doubloons but also some precious Pnennys :laugh:

I am happy to hear that. :pir-sweet:

As the marquis has gained some abilities regarding animal control, he could easily have a flock of gwuinnees following him :pir-grin:

On 9/3/2022 at 12:36 AM, evancelt said:

:pir-grin:

I had actually thought, you would say something about those red coats!

4 hours ago, Captain Braunsfeld said:

I had actually thought, you would say something about those red coats!

And a fine show of redcoat force it is!