How are the strings connected? To keep all the strings the same size you'd have use a method that does not involve knots etc I would think. Thanks!

18 minutes ago, karmajay said:

How are the strings connected? To keep all the strings the same size you'd have use a method that does not involve knots etc I would think. Thanks!

The strings are 41L LEGO strings x127c41 which have studs on each end, no knots needed. It's visible in the video.

5 hours ago, Berthil said:

Spin-off from the Ferris wheel, Planetary Lift module with free instructions:

This looks like a very interesting and - at the same time - space-friendly GBC module.

Very impressive, can't wait to see the end result. One thought if I may: To increase torsional stiffness (between center hub and outer structure/ring), the spokes/strings should NOT be pointing towards the center of the wheel, but away from it, just like in a bicycle wheel. This will make for a much stiffer/rigid construction. Of course, it's only a thought ... from a mechanical engineer  :).

Best

Edited by DrJB

@DrJB the wider center was the backup plan in case the wheel would not be strong enough but turns out it is with the current structure, it's not a bicycle wheel :). I can lift it up from the table horizontally and put upright, even without the rigid hose reinforcement. The wheel needs to be assembled flat on a table without hose reinforcement so that's how I know.

Nice slow-motion from Brick Engineering of the Planetary Lift ball supply of the Ferris wheel, should have done that in my video :)

I must have missed it the first time. The steel balls, are those to increase the mass moment of inertia and keep the angular speed somehow constant ?

They are indeed to keep speed contant as much as possible because the ball flip at the top takes more force. But you haven't missed it the first time because in the Ferris wheel ball supply there are no steel balls, only in the stand alone Planetary Lift. The Ferris wheel itself is the mass that ensures smooth movement and in fact does a better job so no steel balls needed there. For who does not know, the steel balls are from EV3 sets so 100% LEGO.

Edited by Berthil
steel balls link added

At the bottom most (no need to run the video), it looks like the spacing between the ball-carriers is different from everywhere else. Wouldn't that affect how the balls are loaded onto the wheel (their timing)?

perfect entry for this contest. To be honest, I was not so much impressed by the Ferris wheel itself (although it stands out for its scale), but by the ball feed mechanism. It's just incredible mechanics and yet works so reliably. Excellent result :thumbup:

49 minutes ago, Akassin said:

perfect entry for this contest. To be honest, I was not so much impressed by the Ferris wheel itself (although it stands out for its scale), but by the ball feed mechanism. It's just incredible mechanics and yet works so reliably. Excellent result :thumbup:

Yeah, each of the little movements and "switches" are incredible. Very great entry.

Thank you all that voted and have given support!

8 hours ago, 9v system said:

congrats on the win, i have someone who wants to build this if your going to make instructions.

At the moment I'm rebuilding the ball pod loading gate back to what it was (at the start of the video) but with a double gate to improve reliability. First results look very promising. This by the way shows the work of a GBC builder is never done :)

I have a Stud.io file of the wheel and Planetary Lift ball feed, but not of everything else. I'm not sure if I will create instructions for the entire Ferris Wheel module because it will be a lot of work and not many will build it as it is both difficult and costly to build with the 128 strings.

12 hours ago, Berthil said:

Thank you all that voted and have given support!

At the moment I'm rebuilding the ball pod loading gate back to what it was (at the start of the video) but with a double gate to improve reliability. First results look very promising. This by the way shows the work of a GBC builder is never done :)

I have a Stud.io file of the wheel and Planetary Lift ball feed, but not of everything else. I'm not sure if I will create instructions for the entire Ferris Wheel module because it will be a lot of work and not many will build it as it is both difficult and costly to build with the 128 strings.

I would be interested in the Planetary Lift part, and I believe the rest could be mostly replicated from the video with some trial and error if someone really wants to do that. I won't be though, as for all its awesomeness it's also a difficult and costly build as you said. But the Lift is interesting in its own right, so it would be interesting to make my own version of it.

On 12/20/2022 at 4:23 AM, Berthil said:

I have a Stud.io file of the wheel...

I'd love to try and build the wheel as well if you are willing to share the Stud.io file (with a promise of no further distribution of course). I took a look and need a little bit more than the video. Let me know if you would consider this. Thanks.