Sign in to follow this  
Capt Wolf

[ESL – ESL mini-challenge Cat A] Willem Guilder: "Is anybody there?"

Willem Guilder made his way into the darkened Council Hall. Lighting a candle, he walked up to the Admius Legistrad’s desk at the front of the room. Peering into the darkened hall, he heard a small noise in the distance.

candlelight2b.jpg

“Is anybody there?” Guilder asked. But there was no reply. It was likely just a mouse.

For four years he led the Colonial Council from this desk. Now the streets were filled with rabble-rousers supporting Count Lewisham or cheering the return of King Fernando. And the Council Hall was empty. Eslandians had taken their freedom for granted; apathy (and greed) allowed the corrupt Count Lewisham to gain control of the Council. Lewisham was so despised, citizens now cheered King Fernando simply for standing up to Lewisham, something they could have done for themselves.

“Does anybody care?” thought Guilder.

Does anybody care that the establishment of the Colonial Council saved all Eslandians from the whims of the tyrant Fernando, who nearly got them into a war with Oleon over perceived slights that only a nightcap-throwing child could see.

Does anybody care to take on Count Lewisham? Guilder had served Eslandola his entire life. Governor of An Holli. Director of the Merchant’s Colonial Trading Company. Member of the Continental Council. Charter member of the Colonial Council. When he stepped away from public life, he thought all was in good order. But nobody cared to stand up to Lewisham’s corruption.

“Is anybody there?” he asked himself.
“Does anybody care?”
He reflected on how much good the Colonial Council had brought to Eslandians and the trade companies.
“Does anybody see what I see?” he thought, as his mind wandered …

They want me to quit
They say, "Willem, give up the fight."
Still, to Fernando, I say:
"Good night, forever good night!"

For I have crossed the Rubicon
Let the bridge be burned behind me!
Come what may, come what may
For the Council!

Lewisham’s lackies all say
That we'll rue the day
But we’ll make the Count pay
Hang him by his toes!

Through all the gloom
I can see the rays
Of ravishing light
And glory!

Is anybody there?!
Does anybody care?!
Does anybody see what I see?!

I see fireworks!
I see the pageant and pomp and parade
I hear the bells ringing out
I hear the cannons roar
I see Eslandians
All Eslandans
Free forevermore!

Suddenly aware of his surroundings again, Guilder looked around the room.

How quiet
How quiet the chamber is

How silent
How silent the chamber is

Is anybody there?
Does anybody care?
Does anybody see what I see?

*With apologies to Sherman Edwards, writer of the musical 1776.

---

I decided to try my hand again at a darkened scene. Here's the full build in normal light:

full2.jpg

If not readily apparent, this build is in support of the Council! :pir-huzzah2:

All C&C welcome.

I like the candlelit photo, it looks more interesting. One has the impression that the candle illuminates the room. Willem Guilder has a nice study.

Many wise words but Eslandians voted.

A great vignette and I really enjoyed your write-up too.  Almost makes me wish for the council... wait, what am I saying?!?

8 minutes ago, NOD said:

I like the candlelit photo, it looks more interesting. One has the impression that the candle illuminates the room.

Thanks. That was the effect I was going for. 

2 minutes ago, Kai NRG said:

A great vignette ...  Almost makes me wish for the council... wait, what am I saying?!?

:pir-grin:

3 minutes ago, Kai NRG said:

I really enjoyed your write-up

Thanks. FYI, re the lyrics, I've added a link to the song from the musical, if you care to hear Guilder's singing voice. :pir-oh:

12 hours ago, Captain Braunsfeld said:

Fine vignette!

Thank you!

12 hours ago, Captain Braunsfeld said:

I have the slight suspicion that the lyrics are not 100%  yours :pir-grin:

I never claimed otherwise. :wink:   But the song and scene were too spot on for Guilder in this situation for me not to use it.

Ah, that poem is soo perfect!  If the council was going to go the way of history I can't imagine a better way to send it off - you're making me sad already :pir-bawling:

Seriously though, as a good American there's no way I can't love this :pir-grin:  Great rendition of the council room too, and the darkened picture looks sweet and so in keeping with your story here!

such a shame the eslandolians cannot properly value a true statesman. sure Guilder hasn't played all his hands yet!