_JW_

[WIP] Aventador Ultimae 1:8 MOC

In my first post I am going to introduce you to my first real project. My goal is to create a realistic Lamborghini Aventador in 1:8 scale.

Functions:

• All-Wheel Steering
  • All-Wheel Drive
  • Pushrod Suspension (maybe with lift in front)
  • Gearbox (7-N-R) with V12 Fake-Engine
  • Scissor-Doors
  • Adjustable Spoiler
  • Adjustable Seats

• Modular Chassis/Bodywork
  • Red or white Bodywork, dark-tan Interior
  • Sian Wheels

My Progress so far:

Front Axle with angled Brake-Calipers (sausage idea: [WIP] Lamborghini Aventador SVJ 1:8 - LEGO Technic, Mindstorms, Model Team and Scale Modeling - Eurobricks Forums):

52321840299_fc7725915f_c.jpg

Rear Axle with Gearbox, Steering and two Brake Calipers per wheel, like in the real car:

52321859570_bba387aba6_c.jpg

52321731433_360f3b7dc2_c.jpg

Testing:

52321840304_f89a2ab1a3_c.jpg

Had to throw out Gearbox (as seen in pictures above), because the Reverse Gear did not work properly. 

Problems I am facing right now:

• All-Wheel Steering: different angle of turning the wheels
  • Lift system is complicated, shock absorbers might be too long, can´t push them to the outside of the car without wheels scraping while turning
  • Gearbox: Reverse Gear is hard to implement, caused by Steering and Driving Axles that need to go through it
  • Can´t find information about the Aventador having a center differential or not (at the moment i don´t think so, Lego did not use one in their Sian, but the well known Centenario from T Lego got 3 Differentials. But since the Centenario and the Sian are based on the Aventador and got the same transmission in real life, it should be the same technology in all three cars. Correct me if I´m wrong)

As this is my first project and I´m studying car engineering right now, please be patient, I do not know how often i can post progress pictures. Also, English is not my first language, so please excuse my grammar mistakes.

Critique or Ideas are always welcome :)

Cool project and nice presentation! You might be able to adjust the steering angle of the rear wheels by using a smaller pinion, like an 8T gear, or by doing two stages of gearing somewhere (one bringing it to the side, and then another to bring it back to the center), with some degree of reduction.

I don't know if this car specifically has a central differential, but I would assume it does, just given that it is a road car. Lego isn't always very realistic, so I don't think the fact that they left that differential out of the Sian is too meaningful.

Good luck!

33 minutes ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

Lego isn't always very realistic

Are you saying the new Technic slogan is hollow?!?! :distressed:

lego-technic-cat-bulldozer-review-21.jpg

Good Luck with this project! The big shocks will look so good on a car like this. Maybe I need to do a complete revision of my Centenario one day...

I can't really comment much because there is barely any visible progress at this stage, however one suggestion which you could experiment with: Use a 12 tooth gear in the steering rack for the rear axle and a 28 tooth gear in the rack of the front axle, coupling them directly (no gearing). This way you get the difference in turning angle and minimize play at the same time, which is crucial for a properly functioning 4 wheel steering setup. 

Looking forward to whatever is comming next!

19 hours ago, astyanax said:

Are you saying the new Technic slogan is hollow?!?!

Always has been :D

Lamborghini says

transmission typeElectronically controlled all-wheel drive system (Haldex gen. IV) with rear mechanical self-locking differential

I think, there is no central diff, both axles are coupled trough haldex visco coupling. So You could use latest inline clutch or similar.

Good luck with your project :classic:

The new shocks look great with this layout for sure! And you avoid the issue of having them off-center like they are in the back of the SP3.

Would definatly recommend red as the bodywork instead of white. You have much better part availablity in red and the final result will look much better. 

On 8/30/2022 at 2:58 PM, 2GodBDGlory said:

I don't know if this car specifically has a central differential, but I would assume it does, just given that it is a road car. Lego isn't always very realistic, so I don't think the fact that they left that differential out of the Sian is too meaningful.

Got the same thought at first, but after watching a video of the real transmission I couldn´t find any center differential. That´s why I assumed that Lego did it right this time.

On 8/30/2022 at 5:30 PM, T Lego said:

I can't really comment much because there is barely any visible progress at this stage, however one suggestion which you could experiment with: Use a 12 tooth gear in the steering rack for the rear axle and a 28 tooth gear in the rack of the front axle, coupling them directly (no gearing). This way you get the difference in turning angle and minimize play at the same time, which is crucial for a properly functioning 4 wheel steering setup. 

That´s actually a pretty genius solution. Just have to make sure that the gear isn´t sticking out to the bottom and the turning direction of the rear wheels needs to be changed, but maybe I can try and place the steering rack at the opposite side of the front wheels to change turning direction. There´ll always be a way to do it!

On 8/31/2022 at 11:07 AM, langko said:

The new shocks look great with this layout for sure! And you avoid the issue of having them off-center like they are in the back of the SP3.

Would definatly recommend red as the bodywork instead of white. You have much better part availablity in red and the final result will look much better. 

The new shocks were definitely exclusion criteria... Thought about building a 812 Superfast or McLaren P1 at first, but I weren´t satisfied with the solution of the suspension. Don´t like using thin liftarms and stuff in that area.

As I got most parts in white, I really hoped for fender pieces in that colour for quite a while, but we all know what happened, no cars in white :(

Appreciate the kind words and support, I´ll try to post new pictures as soon as possible.

Update:

Started building the middle section, which is quite challenging. Gear mechanism is nearly complete, steering and driving axles are already connected. 

52356430262_5671edd417_c.jpg

Steering is now connected directly, a 28 tooth gear at the front and a 12 tooth gear at the rear steering rack resulting in a different turning radius. Thanks to T Lego for this idea!

52356430272_32dfeb0af3_c.jpg

Red: Driving Axle

Yellow: Steering

White: 2x Gear Shifting

52357694739_94b10359e9_c.jpg

Gearbox and engine are also working, now the 8th gear needs to be blocked somehow, as the real car only has a 7-speed-gearbox. Maybe I can fit in some mechanism in the front of this section. There´s some space left between the 12 tooth gear and the 16 tooth gear. 

I decided to not use a center differential, as it would have complicated a lot of things. This way I could also place the engine as low as possible.

52357380281_940bb336d8_c.jpg

52357801180_a7e03689cc_c.jpg

52356430242_9a1bbaaa98_c.jpg

Feel free to comment or criticize!

Looking good, Yes, making a nose lift/adjustable ride height is extremley hard because the shocks are just so stiff that if you try to compress them, it will, due to backlash, start to move  the ride height mechanism. Even a worm gear still has enough backlash to move the ride height to its lowest position, and that (in my case) was with an extra hard 6.5L shock, never mind these new ultra hard shocks.

One idea might be something like this, though it still has a lot of backlash:

That pushrod suspension looks great. I bought a set of those shock absorbers in blue and Im almost certainly using them for either a 1:8 aventador or some type of 1:8 off-roader.

Excited to see how this turns out

Update:

As I was quite busy the last few months, there is not that much progress, but I still want to share some updates!

52897408804_a33bd311f6_c.jpg

The main chassis will be devided into two modules: the rearaxle with gearbox and the monocoque including the front axle. At first i wanted to split it into three instead of two modules, but due to the AWD and limited space between monocoque and front suspension I decided to not make three sections. It would be possible, but when splitting the front-axle from the monocoque the black 12-tooth gear would fall out and I don´t like to break my fingers each time I assemble it again :)

52897631480_5a57beeb0d_c.jpg

The shifting mechanism will be HOG without the option of shifting from the inside of the car. But the paddle-shifters will move while shifting. The mechanism is not as smooth as I want it to be, maybe I have to rebuild this area.

The blue 24-tooth gear in the front (upper one in picture) is connected to the steering.

Sadly I won´t be able to fit a lifting mechanism to the front, as the shock absorbers are simply too long with too little space inbetween them to fit a mechanism inside. The big differential underneath is also taking a lot of potential space. But thats a compromise I´m willing to take in order to have proper suspension without any wobbly lifting mechanism with a lot of backlash.

52896673352_b798aebce1_c.jpg

The door operation will be hidden in the engine bay, each door can be operated by the red thin liftarms.

Another decision I am not quite sure about is wether I should make a roadster or coupe version of the Aventador. I feel like the roadster version would look better, because the lack of stacking 3x13 panels (18944) to create a proper roof, which almost never looks good. The downside of the roadster version would be the windscreen which needs to be stable enough to hold its own weight and not just being connected to the roof.

As always, feel free to comment, criticize ;)

I think you should try the coupe version. Many people have made aventador mocs before but I have yet to see a satisfying recreation of the angled roof. I think it can be done with angled (~135 degrees) axle and pin connectors and some flex cables kinda like how LoxLego likes use in most of his models.

Im going to attempt it mysef in a 1:10 aventador but itd be interesting to see how other people accomplish it.

I feel like we're the same in how we approach driver controls. Im currently having trouble arranging all my driver controls in my 4runner moc and considering HOG only for some. I personally dont care, but I know other people on this forum will tell you that they would prefer hog and driver control options. 

Are you planning on making instructions?Id be interested in paying for the suspension and 4 wheel steering alone but the rest looks like its shaping out nicey.

On 5/15/2023 at 2:08 PM, damian_kane_iv said:

I think you should try the coupe version. Many people have made aventador mocs before but I have yet to see a satisfying recreation of the angled roof. I think it can be done with angled (~135 degrees) axle and pin connectors and some flex cables kinda like how LoxLego likes use in most of his models.

Thank you for your advice! I built several roadster windshields to test if it would work. They all were extremely fragile and would fold by the lightest touch, but if I make them more stable, it just didn´t looked good at all. I will probably go for the coupe version now, so the windshield can be structurally supported by the roof. Now the challenge is to angle the panels to get that typical angled roof.

I feel like we're the same in how we approach driver controls. Im currently having trouble arranging all my driver controls in my 4runner moc and considering HOG only for some. I personally dont care, but I know other people on this forum will tell you that they would prefer hog and driver control options.

I agree with you, that many people like HOG and driver control options for the gearbox, but to be fair, as its going to be a coupe version, I don´t think many would really want to break their fingers every time they want to shift a gear up or down. I personally would love to integrate HOG and usable paddle shifters but the advantage I have with the current solution is the aesthetics. I personally hate the look of the paddle shifters in the Chiron/Sian, stacking liftarms just doesn´t look as good as using some horn pieces. I also like the concept of putting the shifter in the center console, like Charbel and T-Lego did in their 720s/Centenario, but due to 4 axles going through there, it won’t be possible at all.

Are you planning on making instructions?Id be interested in paying for the suspension and 4 wheel steering alone but the rest looks like its shaping out nicey.

I don´t know when the car will be finished, but if I have time for instructions afterwards, I would like to make some instructions, yes. If you want, I can upload detailed photos of the front/rear axle with suspension and steering on Flickr or send them to you directly, you don’t need to pay for that.

As always, i welcome criticism and suggestions to improve the build, thank you!

Edited by _JW_

Much appreciated for offering detailed photos if you don't do instructions!

Here is what I'm thinking of for a roof idea. I'm planning on using it for my 1:10 aventador moc, but I think it could be scaled up for a 1:8 car, though it'd probably be pretty pricey...

IMG_7334

This chassis looks amazing and the new suspensions don´t do badly. I´m also building the predecessor of the Ultimae, the Aventador (scale 1:8) but it will take a lot of time to finish this Moc. I will be curious to see what this car looks like in the end. Great work so far :wink: