BatteryPoweredBricks

*updated* Guide to Controlling Lego Switch Tracks Remotely (PU, PF, Mindstorms, 9v)

Controlling Lego switch tracks remotely has always been a dream of mine.  I've used several methods over the years, but my favorite solution was a design by Tom Cook.  I stumbled across it in his article on the Brick Automation Project software which can be found here.  I made a few changes to his design, making it more compatible with a larger selection of motors (PF M and L, PU L, Wedo 2.0 and Boost motors).  I created instructions to build this new version (with the help of @1963maniac :classic:) which can be downloaded here.

Motorized switch track left

In addition to the new design I've uploaded a new tutorial showing many methods that can be used to control it.  I tend to use the DACTA control lab + PF motors or the BAP software with PU motors (I still haven't gotten around to testing the new Brickrail project I've seen on this forum, but will soon).  As always I am interested in any constructive feedback on the design or the video tutorial. 

This is the original video that was in this post last year.  Some info is still relevant, some is outdated.  Included for historical purposes :pir-grin:

Edited by BatteryPoweredBricks

Ah, the decedents of RailBricks Reverse Engineering Challenge #9 (p37 in RB 12). Which took heavy inspiration from many places, including this and that.

I wonder what you could do with the spear-switch idea that was unique to 9v track where the spear poked through the holes in the rails used to crimp the metal on.

Spear switch idea 1 ca 2002

micropoint17.jpg

Spear switch idea 2 ca 2008

2_switch4.jpg

Plastic track under-rail variant ca 2010

dsc03667.jpg

All of which were inspiration to "fixing the double crossover" in Railbricks 9 (ca 2011), see the pull cord in the bottom of p30.

I can see the resemblance :grin:.  The spear idea is very creative! In my case I want to retain the electrical switching capability of the switch track, since I use them for the yard.  I do need to look through the RailBricks issues, It's been a long time since I have.  I got "derailed" from my usual Mindstorms and went full steam ahead on trains lately :pir_laugh2:

On 8/28/2022 at 3:56 PM, BatteryPoweredBricks said:

I got "derailed" from my usual Mindstorms and went full steam ahead on trains lately :pir_laugh2:

Easy to do (grin)

Ah, good memories of that engineering challenge...

6864496860_38b856aedc_c.jpg

PF points motor by Duq, on Flickr

This also reminded me of this crossover project that's still on top of a shelf somewhere, waiting for a proper version (rather than just a prototype):

46814116442_de1948b080_c.jpg

Crossover prototype by Duq, on Flickr

Rather than create a new topic, I have updated the original post above.  After having issues over the past year with the two main designs I used in the original video, I started using a modified version of Tom Cook's design and have created instructions for it.

And here is the full video showing my remote controlled layout in action.  Eventually I want to find a good de-coupling solution, but I have a few more projects in the works first.  Enjoy!