Powered by Bricks

Lego City 2023 Leaks, Rumours, Speculation And Discussion

13 minutes ago, Lemerbrix said:

Yeah, in the main square set she and fendrich are alluded to, we also should have gotten an actual fendrich, instead we get him in a Santa costume in last year’s advent

Yeah! The main square set would've been the perfect time to include them. 

Interesting. I don't see any need for that 3x3 corner as the 2x2 works fine, but whatever. 

Also of not is I just noticed that LEGO not only got rid of thin baseplates, LEGO is now getting rid of 1 plate thick baseplates in City. That's VERY concerning to me, and frankly kind of lame.

Edited by Maple

The 3x3 corner is interesting! Since it allows plates to be mounted on a corner by at least two studs each it should allow for very robust connections for corners, though mostly it's only useful when you need a sharp corner on the inner side since otherwise things like the 3x3 round corner plate or corner wedge could serve the same purpose.

3 hours ago, Maple said:

Also of not is I just noticed that LEGO not only got rid of thin baseplates, LEGO is now getting rid of 1 plate thick baseplates in City. That's VERY concerning to me, and frankly kind of lame.

There are some (albeit smaller) 1 plate thick baseplates in the smaller sets

whats odd to me is that Lego just introduced the perfect plate for the road plates (2 plate thick baseplates) the same year that they phase out road plates (and yes, there is a road plate in the emergency vehicle headquarters, but it’s used as a parking lot

Edited by Lemerbrix
Misspelled road, darn auto correct (I need a shirt that says roast plate)

7 minutes ago, Lemerbrix said:

There are some (albeit smaller) 1 plate thick baseplates in the smaller sets

whats odd to me is that Lego just introduced the perfect plate for the road plates (2 plate thick baseplates) the same year that they phase out road plates (and yes, there is a road plate in the emergency vehicle headquarters, but it’s used as a parking lot

The thicker plates aren't used in the other themes either. But it's used to hold trash can in the garbage truck set and I don't like that.

Road plates aren't really phased out, if they are still using them. There are only two building and one uses them. That's a 50% user rate. The old style road plates were mostly only ever used as parking spots too.

8 hours ago, Maple said:

Road plates aren't really phased out, if they are still using them. There are only two building and one uses them. That's a 50% user rate. The old style road plates were mostly only ever used as parking spots too.

Yeah, I see what you mean, but by “phase out” I mean use less, let’s look at this year, almost every building had road plates, now this year, where there’s one road plate, also, road plates are only used in city sets (and the effiel tower, and Thor’s hammer, but I mean as roads)

60304: Road Plates will still be available in 2023, so far no replacement yet, so it's definately not looking like a sign of road plate retirement yet.

Road related but not exactly City, the Xtra theme however, seems completely done.

I know there are those new studded 2 plate high plates, also of note, they are used in a 4+ Friends set, so not entirely exclusive to City, 4+ did use 2 plate high bases before but they had a slightly different shape, not perfectly 8x16 either as 4 studs were sticking out at the side (see a set like City 2022 farm)

Edited by TeriXeri

5 hours ago, Lemerbrix said:

Yeah, I see what you mean, but by “phase out” I mean use less, let’s look at this year, almost every building had road plates, now this year, where there’s one road plate, also, road plates are only used in city sets (and the effiel tower, and Thor’s hammer, but I mean as roads)

I wouldn't worry about it. Again, there are literally only two buildings which is concerning too, last year there were 6 full buildings in January.

On 12/4/2022 at 4:48 PM, TeriXeri said:

I like how LEGO finally made some Octan-E batteries, in 60383: Electric Sports Car

looks like printed 1x2 tiles in the back of the car :

60383_alt4.jpg

Looks like a simple build but a nice parts pack, I like neon yellow, and black wheel arches are a generic useful color.

A hairpiece or neon yellow helmet would be a nice bonus but overall, I think it's a nice small set at it's price point, considering 2023, and this has all printed parts (including a solar panel)

This and the cyber stunt bike really work great together. They just look so cool. I am a sucker for all things futuristic.

...Speaking of the devil... Santa was early this year and brought me a january-june 2023 catalogue and some sets.

And yes i can confirm the 1x2 tiles in 60383 under the rear window are printed!

w13KLu9.jpg

Edited by Polarlicht

It's  an interesting set. I noticed the driver fig does not fit when it got it's hat on, under the windscreen.

Also you get two string with end studs in this set, so one is spare.

1 hour ago, Polarlicht said:

60383, and yes i can confirm the 1x2 tiles under the rear window are printed! In fact there are NO STICKERS in this set YAY

The $10 sets haven't had stickers for several years now.

2 hours ago, Polarlicht said:

60383, and yes i can confirm the 1x2 tiles under the rear window are printed! In fact there are NO STICKERS in this set YAY

That is fantastic! Those printed curved bricks are really cool.

1 hour ago, Maple said:

The $10 sets haven't had stickers for several years now.

I honestly don't know. I don't have that much 10€$ sets.

1 minute ago, Polarlicht said:

I honestly don't know. I don't have that much 10€$ sets.

Really? They are great sets,. Plus in the USA our discounts have been really bad until recently and the $10 sets have been $6-$6.50. All the City ones don't have stickers. I think it's because they are so massed marketed. My favorite is 60323: Stunt Plane that has a bird printed on both sides of the tail pieces, yet Lego can't make prints for other things that can be used in more than one set.

I always find it ironic that cheap Lego sets come with prints instead of stickers, no problem. Yet we are always told that Lego just can't afford to put prints in more expensive sets instead of stickers. And often stickers and prints are of the exact same thing on the exact same part (think planks, logs, etc) where Lego already tooled up and did the print runs.

2 hours ago, Silverhurst said:

I always find it ironic that cheap Lego sets come with prints instead of stickers, no problem. Yet we are always told that Lego just can't afford to put prints in more expensive sets instead of stickers. And often stickers and prints are of the exact same thing on the exact same part (think planks, logs, etc) where Lego already tooled up and did the print runs.

There's actually reasons for this. Firstly, cheaper sets are almost always produced in higher quantities than more expensive ones, so the investment in a new printed part (even if used only in that one set) goes much farther. Secondly, smaller sets often require fewer decorated parts in general than larger, more expensive sets—meaning stickers go farther for those larger sets.

Let's compare: this set has exactly three new printed parts (the hood, the battery, and the minifigure torso). A $100 or more set often has many more new printed parts than that for its minifigures alone, and many, many more recolored parts, potentially leaving little additional budget for new decorated parts. But a sticker sheet costs more or less the same whether it has 3 or 30 different stickers on it, so for the cost of adding one new element (the sticker sheet), a set can add all the other essential decorations it might need. This is especially evident when you get to large, high-detail sets like the Ninjago City sets, where you might have 50 or more stickers in a single set on top of new or exclusive minifigure designs!

Regarding stickers of things like planks that printed variants already exist for, there can also be multiple reasons. Firstly, if a printed part has been gone long enough to have gone out of production, it doesn't really matter if Lego has done it before—it could cost just as much to reintroduce it as it would to introduce a new printed part. Secondly, if a set already has budgeted a sticker sheet for other new or unique decorations, it costs practically nothing to print a couple additional stickers on that same sheet. So if a set needs 10 unique stickered signs or computer screens or whatever and the designers want a couple planks to board up the exterior as well, logistically it's much easier to add those decorations to the same sticker sheet.

15 hours ago, Silverhurst said:

Because of quantity. 

Lego will sell 100 times as many $10 sets then it does $500 sets so it's worth printing.

However sometimes it is really insane and Lego is just super greedy. At the very least Lego should include an extra sticker sheet.

For anyone in the UK still sleeping on this awesome retired Lego set, it's £35 in ASDA right now. That's £20 cheaper than the RRP and it has the extra sticker sheet to turn it into an ASDA store.

!                                                                                                                                                                            s-l500

From Instagram (I am not sure of the source's reliability, so salt as-needed): 

60377 - Underwater Exploration Ship (182 Pieces) 
60363 - Ice Cream Shop (296 Pieces) 
60364 - Urban Skate Park (454 Pieces) 
60366 - Ski and Climbing Center (1045 Pieces)