Powered by Bricks

Lego City 2023 Leaks, Rumours, Speculation And Discussion

11 minutes ago, dilligan said:

when I figure out some iggest disappointment for me is the lack of an actual garage building.

Same, but I will buy it anyway to expand my knowledge 60258 which lacks "tuning"

Also looks like there's a new baseplate similar to the roadplates but all the plain surfaces have now studs, really weird to see it in every building but it's better to combine with the roadplates. 

The idea of having cars that you can customise by swapping fronts and backs is interesting, but I can't have it in the town without a building for it all to go into. 

Thanks so much Lego, like the sets in 2022, absolutely bad sets, poor design/repeating design.. I won't need to spend any cents for city series in 2023!
(oh yeah.. forget all this sets would be 20%+ RRP than similar sets compare to 2022 or earlier!)

While a bunch of it is obviously "more of the same" subject matter (police/fire/medic/food vehicle/construction) , I do think at least the style of the sets is still trying new things.

I don't mind the 4+ police/fire HQs/ambulance, not my target group but existing products just came out in 2022 and will be still around.

Also there's the rescue HQ that basicly offers a fire/police/medic build in 1 (basicly an XL "starter" set, or expansion set, but also works great standalone for an outpost or new city)

Academy is nice, LEGO trying new things, more building focused sets in City are good imo, especially this one where 95% is building focused, with only a small quad bike as vehicle, so that's nice to see in City, Horse is also a big plus, and I can certainly see the building work as a nice expansion to the 2022 Police HQ (my only police building).

Clearly LEGO has thought on expanding upon 2022 sets here, with the horse in the academy (jumping bars also in the 2022 horse transporter ), or dog training from the 2022 police building.

Also the other sets look good to me, sure the outdoor monster truck thing is big, but still shows newer things to City like a campsite and some terrain/animals, otter set is also good to see followups to the cheap 2 monkey / 2 chicken sets.

The race car workshop set is very cool to see, I like the layout and colors, while not a full building, I think this is like great way to do such a set, like old 6 wide speed champ sets that came with garage/workshop areas, and in this case, I think the lack of a tow truck is a plus, not a minus, as the budget goes to the race cars and area instead.

City, and Friends build style seems to be moving closer together a bit, in terms of colors and piece style, I do think the 2023 friends buildings like the hair salon and cafetaria will fit well with the 2023 City styles.

Overall , while City is still vehicle focused, it's nice to see more terrain and side builds.

(this is all judged before taking prices into account, and reviews will certainly shift opinions around, many sets turn out bigger, or have play features etc, you can't just judge from a few pics)

Next set I'm mainly interested in to see next, will be the 3-in-1 Cozy House set , likely revealed later as it's a March set, but 800ish piece count sounds promising, especially considering 2023 Autumn's House in Friends as well.

Edited by TeriXeri

Gunge fetishist Furry on a bike is an interesting choice Lego....

I like the Soda Truck, Garbage Truck and Gaming Truck. I wish we were getting minifigs of the video game characters, but I'm liking the pink and blue hairpieces.

Great parts & recolours in the car fixing/building set and good gender equality for a traditionally "male" profession.

Otterly Adorable Otters!

Is the hard hat+ponytail combo new?

The burning popcorn stand seems like a good opportunity for comedy, I'd be surprised if it doesn't work it's way into the TV show.

33 minutes ago, Killian said:

Is the hard hat+ponytail combo new?

It was in the 60327: Horse Transporter set in another color combination (somehow can't find the part on brickset/rebrickable inventory)

16178pb02.jpg

https://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemInv.asp?M=cty1338

More detailed pictures of the sets : https://www.stonewars.de/news/lego-city-2023-neuheiten-januar/

Small green tractor set is cute, based on that small tractor planting saplings, and the forest torso in the garbage truck, and a couple burning tree fire sets, maybe forest will be a summer animal subtheme?

One nitpick could be that some terrain- side builds use rounded plates, but on the other hand that's an upside as standalone display, I think it looks more dynamic, but just won't be as cross-compatible with expandable squares/rectangle road plates.

Edited by TeriXeri

50 minutes ago, bright22 said:

Thanks so much Lego, like the sets in 2022, absolutely bad sets, poor design/repeating design.. I won't need to spend any cents for city series in 2023!
(oh yeah.. forget all this sets would be 20%+ RRP than similar sets compare to 2022 or earlier!)

What is wrong with these sets in your opinion? Other than 4+ sets they all are well thought-out and nicely design.

The Police Dog and Police Academy sets nicely fit with 2022 Police HQ (it has a tiny dog training-course in front of the guard post) and can serve as a gate to the police academy.

Emergency HQ gives us an excellent way of including all 3 emergency services into a really small city. Just add the smaller fire truck and you're good to go!

The big firetruck has a ton of play features (which kids love) on top of a great design resembling Mercedes-Benz Unimog trucks. It is also a mothership for a 2 smaller "drone" builds.

The fire boat is perfectly sized and has a BLACK hull. So it can be rebuild into every other possible ship (unlike older red boat hulls).

We've also got a back-hoe loader and a garbage truck which were long overdue.

And seriously, are you really blaming LEGO for inflation?

17 minutes ago, TheArturro said:

The fire boat is perfectly sized and has a BLACK hull. So it can be rebuild into every other possible ship (unlike older red boat hulls).

Agreed, this is one of the vehicle sets, that's the right size/price design at the €20 listed price.

Black hull definately is a good choice here, I do have the smaller 2019 red fire boat (mainly because the dock was compatible with the 2019 firestation), but seeing a built-up structure on the mid-hull is certainly nice here instead of another weird giant speedboat (2007/2013).

This has more of a proportions to a set like 4012 Wave Cops , which isn't a bad thing, black hull could even turn it into a set like that for Police.

4012-1.png

Edited by TeriXeri

1 hour ago, dilligan said:

The idea of having cars that you can customise by swapping fronts and backs is interesting, but I can't have it in the town without a building for it all to go into. 

So you're a fellow town builder, aye? Do you have a gas station in your town? Perhaps you can use them there.

Puh, mixed feelings about this wave...

especially the 4+ sets look so bad, unfinished and expensive. The 60375 fire station hasn’t even an opening gate, the fire engine is soo small and it’s just 15€ less than the 4+ farm with plenty of animals and a better building. Not keen on what Lego is doing for the target audience here.

Since they are obviously shifting focus away from buildings towards vehicles again, I really hope they introduce some light&sound system in the near future. It’s not expensive in production and really attractive for kids (though parents may think otherwise).

I set my expectations extremely low and somehow LEGO didn't even meet them. City was redone a few years ago to be only for 4 year olds. I get that it's a toy. This year I thought LEGO made a good mix of being a toy but also not overly childish. A good mix. The 2023 sets are a mess. No other way to say it, some of them are really weird. The buildings are too flat, they have no life to them. The 2022 sets have a modern architecture to them, these have none. There also feels like there is way too much black in the designs. 

If the small sets stay $10 then at least there are those. The otters look nice. Two doctor figures and two animals look good. The garbage truck is perfect and I love how LEGO is needlessly making new colors of the trash can all the time.

39 minutes ago, brimbolet said:

Puh, mixed feelings about this wave...

especially the 4+ sets look so bad, unfinished and expensive. The 60375 fire station hasn’t even an opening gate, the fire engine is soo small and it’s just 15€ less than the 4+ farm with plenty of animals and a better building. Not keen on what Lego is doing for the target audience here.

[...]

4+ sets are supposed to be like Duplo sets but compatible to normal LEGO bricks and minifgs. Their simplicity is intentional.

Price changes are due to inflation. It's not LEGO's fault here. But still it is sad and annoying that out beloved toys are getting even more expensive.

The shift of focus to vehicles shouldn't be surprising. Kids love things that can be played around with - cars, trucks, planes, boats, helicopters, spaceships etc. LEGO Friends are more focused on buildings, think of them like doll-houses.

The city wave is so very disappointing. What does Lego think does a city look like?

Look at the Friends sets, they are fantastic in comparison. Especially the International School and Downtown Flower and Design Stores.

6 minutes ago, TheArturro said:

4+ sets are supposed to be like Duplo sets but compatible to normal LEGO bricks and minifgs. Their simplicity is intentional.

Simplicity (design idea) is one thing, execution of it another. There are good examples of minimalist industrial design, architecture,... and bad ones. The same applies to toys. Lego should make simple 4+ sets but they just should look better.

Standouts for me are the food truck, glad to see they’re continuing, & the gaming truck. Honorable mention for the police dog training set for the puppy & bite suit. 

5 minutes ago, Jiesdeo said:

I'm a bit hoping that 60394 ATV and Otter Habitat is a precursor to a Park Ranger type of mid-year City theme. With bears, deer and more animal molds.

That's what I was thinking too, with the amount of trees, mostly pine trees, and then planks and wood logs in the construction set and a polybag, something forest seems in the planning, and City often follows their nature subthemes about 1-2 years after Friends does, Friends did have horse riding and forest in 2021 and look at where City is going now, with more horses, and pine trees and outdoor dog training etc.

While of course this is just speculation, so far there were underwater themes 1 year apart, and elephants 1 year apart (friends were more asian focused but still), and Forest 2 year apart if it's happening in summer 2023.

Edited by TeriXeri

5 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

That's what I was thinking too, with the amount of trees, mostly pine trees, and then planks and wood logs in the construction set and a polybag, something forest seems in the planning, and City often follows their nature subthemes about 1-2 years after Friends does, Friends did have horse riding and forest in 2021 and look at where City is going now, with more horses, and pine trees and outdoor dog training etc.

Good points. Is the torso print new? It would be strange of Lego to spend money on a new torso print for a 9.99€ set.

Edit: As a one-off I mean.

Edited by Jiesdeo

15 minutes ago, Jiesdeo said:

Good points. Is the torso print new? It would be strange of Lego to spend money on a new torso print for a 9.99€ set.

Torso in the otter set certainly looks new, like a forest-ranger type person with a badge (which would mean either Law Enforcement / Forest Keeper / National Park ranger etc in various countries)

Which is different from the 2-leaf "park" logo introduced with the picnic in park vehicle, and now showing up on the park tractor vehicle/torso.

Even if not all forest sets would be animal focused, I'd love to see some new crooks hideout in a forest cave or something (could still have a bear/wolf/lynx/mountain lion etc), just a little bit different from 2018, less focus on police vehicles as I think the dog van and other 2022 vehicles like the mobile command are plenty already.

And maybe another bigger forest set with mainly focus on bigger built trees and optional flames, just without focus on a big water airplane this time, there's the big fire command center, which seems suited for the action.

Of course some small scale sawmill / logging type of set could still work, just no mega tree-industrial machines, but at least a place to make some planks / small logs as those printed tiles already exist and are in use.

Edited by TeriXeri

I’m pleased that we finally get otter and puppy molds!

now I’m waiting for the next summer subtheme. 

1 hour ago, Jiesdeo said:

I'm a bit hoping that 60394 ATV and Otter Habitat is a precursor to a Park Ranger type of mid-year City theme. With bears, deer and more animal molds.

2020 - Safari Off-Roader leads to Wildlife Rescue subtheme in 2021

2021 - Tractor leads to Farm subtheme in 2022

So, we don’t know which set that leads to he next summer subtheme but i surely hope it’s more animal-oriented, like Ocean Exploration, Wildlife Rescue and Farm. 

1 hour ago, Jiesdeo said:

If Lego don't make wolves soon I'm going to Billund to riot

13 hours ago, TheArturro said:

The new back-hoe loader is great! Finally a non-4+ construction vehicle set! 

The garbage truck looks exactly like the Mercedes-Benz ones from my city (other than the color-scheme).

Also I'll certainly be getting all of the new fire sets! The fire truck seems a bit too long, but that should be an easy fix to shorten it by 2-4 studs. But the fire boat is PERFECT! I only wish it had printed parts instead of stickers.

ATV and Otter Habitat is so cute it melts my heart! :wub:

Police sets... The dog-training truck looks awesome and a new puppy mold is a super addition! The emergency HQ has great vehicles but I wish the police SUV included the "police" text written on it somewhere :sceptic:. The academy looks good, but I wish it had a more direct connection to this years police station (like it was rumoured). Thankfully at least the color-scheme is matching. And the motorcycle chase seems ok for it's price point.

Oh, and the new small sports car looks so dope!

Took forever to release a new backhoe(1991), but they didn't give it a backhoe shovel or rigger lifts! The 2 previous releases had them. Once again LEGO cuts corners/leaves details out. :hmpf:

Edited by DanOfBricks

9 minutes ago, DanOfBricks said:

Took forever to release a new backhoe(1991), but they didn't give it a backhoe shovel! :hmpf:

Yep. I found that sad and ironic!

5 minutes ago, Murdoch17 said:

Yep. I found that sad and ironic!

Here are some other pics of the Backhoe. They give it a forklift attachment, but they couldn't give it a new backhoe shovel mold! Digger means backhoe or excavator shovel, not a front loader! LEGO can be really dumb and not know the terminology they use in their set names! https://www.lego.com/en-us/kids/sets/city/construction-digger-4ad0bad3f0a959fd5ce2454d0cb122b9