Sign in to follow this  
Bainter-ban

Bricklink Designer Program - Will it be back?

The program officially ended a few months ago when round 3 closed. Do you think the program will be initiated again in some form? I thought it was pretty successfull, all in all. The idea that non-selected ideas sets gets to be crowd-funded is great.

I'm not convinced it will get another round. The effort that needs to go into actually producing the sets is apparently quite high and it's just not efficient to sustain in the long run. Other than that a lot of it plays into the whole state of LEGO Ideas and how the designer program was a "dump" for entries that were scratching at the door but didn't quite make it in, but that's another discussion entirely...

Mylenium

13 hours ago, Bainter-ban said:

The program officially ended a few months ago when round 3 closed.

I'd say it doesn't end until they actually deliver the sets!

There have been loads of complaints about it. The mess up with numbers, the lack of availability for some sets due to selling out, the price hikes on the secondary market, the delays in production, the cancelling of (a minority of) orders, poor quality instructions, digital instructions, etc. For the small number of sets they sell, it wouldn't surprise me if this range causes the largest number of complaints per set out of anything else they produce.

Edited by MAB

1 minute ago, MAB said:

I'd say it doesn't end until they actually deliver the sets!

There have been loads of complaints about it. The mess up with numbers, the lack of availability for some sets due to selling out, the price hikes on the secondary market, the delays in production, the cancelling of (a minority of) orders, poor quality instructions, digital instructions, etc. For the small number of sets they sell, it wouldn't surprise me if this range causes the largest number of complaints per set out of anything else they produce.

Yeah, I absolutely agree that there have been issues with the program. But the last round went rather smooth, at least for me. I was able to order both the train station and the construction site without any issues. There are many spectacular sets that reach the 10 000 threshold in Ideas, but very few reach official production. The program enables a lot more sets to reach production, which I think is great. 

I guess the bottom line is whether Lego makes a significant profit from the program. I do wonder if the higher prices indicates a wider profit margin. The larger sets in the third round which many believed would not reach the production threshold or sell out, seemed to have gone quite quickly. Clearly the demand was there. 

19 hours ago, crowe-k said:

I guess the bottom line is whether Lego makes a significant profit from the program. I do wonder if the higher prices indicates a wider profit margin.

Most definitely not. It's an extra burden. You need to plan for it and integrate it into your production schedule and then selling 20000 or so packages is not much compared to LEGO's usual production numbers. Any extra revenue they could generate in theory is likely eaten up by the higher cost.

19 hours ago, crowe-k said:

The larger sets in the third round which many believed would not reach the production threshold or sell out, seemed to have gone quite quickly. Clearly the demand was there. 

It's still a niche product and outside the AFOL bubble or even more specifically an informed sub-set of that demographic who regularly follow the latest news people don't took any notice most likely.

Mylenium