The only message we could send that would change anything is just simply not buy it!!

Everyone who buys a set (any set) shows the seller (any seller) that its price is reasonable.

1 hour ago, Erik Leppen said:

The only message we could send that would change anything is just simply not buy it!!

Everyone who buys a set (any set) shows the seller (any seller) that its price is reasonable.

+1

23 hours ago, nerdsforprez said:

Don't confuse expense with value.  I complain of the expense not because I cannot afford it but b/c of the potential of poor value (few elements, no evidence of electronics that would justify cost).  Of course, I reserve judgment for now, and I hope this product presents with enough value for me to feel good about purchasing it.  I also love cranes!  

This is the crux of the matter.

I'm fortunate that i could 'afford' the set, and in the past i've been ok with the Cat and 42100 at around £300  - i tend to only buy flagships as i have a big lego collection, so £300 per year i can be comfortable with. I could be comfortable with $600... BUT.  Its way beyond what i consider ok for a set of this size. I love big sets and i love technic, but i don't see 600+ value in it.

And i fully understand i'm fortunate, for others its simply unaffordable. If this is truly the price then i fear TLG are chasing a market that isn't 95% of people on this forum, which in turn isn't 95% of their current customer base. 

Very short sighted of them and very disappointing - i presume it will be blamed on the cost of oil, not my area but plastic is a product of the petroleum industry isn't it?

Edited by TeamThrifty

If that price is accurate. Buying a new in box Big Red will still be a much better deal. It is kind of insane that a discontinued set with more peices and collectors value is cheaper. Any set over $600 should have over 5k peices. 

The value just isn't there at that price. 

1 hour ago, TeamThrifty said:

Very short sighted of them and very disappointing - i presume it will be blamed on the cost of oil, not my area but plastic is a product of the petroleum industry isn't it?

Yes, but the cost of raw material (=oil) in the Lego bricks is almost trivially small in comparison to other factors.

At the moment we can only speculate on the reasons behind the price, assuming it's even correct. While it will surely be one of the most expensive Technic sets ever (if not the most expensive), there's no reason to make judgments regarding its value until we have a lot more knowledge of what's actually in the box. Though, even if there's all the goodies such a set could possibly contain, the supposed price is hefty, no matter the value.

1 hour ago, TeamThrifty said:

here are average prices for brent barrel (oil) till 2023, so oil price is only dirty excuse (i hear it every day from local stores; based on them you don't water plants you use oil for that :ugh:)

https://www.statista.com/statistics/262860/uk-brent-crude-oil-price-changes-since-1976/

Edited by 1gor

9 hours ago, nerdsforprez said:

If indeed the price of 680 euros is correct, and there is not something offered well above what we already know, my $$ may very well go towards a kickin' RC car or another diecast crane.  As a die-hard Lego fan, I think that really means something.   I think they are treading  a very fine line here..

This is cute but honestly not sure I understand the meaning.  Are you trying to convey that AFOLs should "stop being poor"? 

If so this is a complete missing the point.  I don't think that the complaints about the price always have to be interpreted this way.  For me it is more about not wanting to buy something of low value.  Its not about not being able to afford the overall cost. 

If that is not the intended meaning, just ignore  my post:blush: 

I agree with this. My dad and I were talking about this last night. He was talking about the LoTR Rivendell set, and mentioning that it is $500, but has 5000 or so pieces AND lots of minifigs, AND is from a beloved movie series. 

The issue is not so much the overall price, but the lack of value. There are plenty of fans who will plonk down large sums of cash for a set (Hello, UCS Star Wars), but the value has to be there.

If Lego were to reveal this set, and have it be a 7000 piece monster with amazing level of detail, I think a lot of complaints would go away. 

But as it stands, we are scratching our heads, and wondering what the €680 actually gets us.

Edited by Saberwing40k

10 hours ago, Saberwing40k said:

But as it stands, we are scratching our heads, and wondering what the €680 actually gets us.

Yes. And that's basically all we have right now :D

10 hours ago, Saberwing40k said:

The issue is not so much the overall price, but the lack of value.

Not sure about that. For some people it's more about the 'target audience'. They want to buy a large Lego crane but don't want to/ cannot spent that much money for it. Will there be another not-that-large-crane? I don't think so.

If the next excavator would costs 2000 €, would I buy it? No, no matter what. If that would be the only C+ excavator, it would be disapointing from my perspective. Eventhough it can be a very great model with great value.

But hat does not mean there would not be target audience for that. There are a lot of far more expensive RC models.

I'm sure it will be an interesting model, with a lot of new stuff.

Is there more than one source for the Liebherr price? If not, let's wait and see....

It will certainly be expensive, but the question is how stupid expensive I think :)

The Held der Steine also mentioned a 600 euro Technic set coming today, I don't know if he just has the same source as everyone else though.

On 3/4/2023 at 5:19 PM, johnnytifosi said:

The Held der Steine also mentioned a 600 euro Technic set coming today, I don't know if he just has the same source as everyone else though.

I would not belive in everything this guy says!

1 hour ago, Polarlicht said:

I would not belive in everything this guy says!

Why not? He's one of the few Youtubers that isn't sponsored by Lego... And how would he be, he has deservedly ripped them apart the past few years.

36 minutes ago, johnnytifosi said:

Why not? He's one of the few Youtubers that isn't sponsored by Lego... And how would he be, he has deservedly ripped them apart the past few years.

He is just not always right with everything he says. Nobody is. Thats it.

1 hour ago, johnnytifosi said:

Why not? He's one of the few Youtubers that isn't sponsored by Lego...

Are you saying that a reviewer's honesty depends on getting stuff or not from LEGO?

10 minutes ago, AVCampos said:

Are you saying that a reviewer's honesty depends on getting stuff or not from LEGO?

That's a common observation nowadays. If you don't pay for the exact sets you review suddenly you become totally incapable of justifying its value or properties. It doesn't matter if "honest non-sponsored" reviewers buy their sets from Patreon- or YouTube money, or they actually run a toy shop like HDS, they have to be the source of truth because they have a receipt in hand and they said it's an honest review, so it really has to be :) 

13 minutes ago, AVCampos said:

Ummm... yes. That's media independence basics. Keep shitting on Lego and you'd have the same treatment as Held did. If a channel depends on getting on getting a few hundred euros worth of handouts to be viable, why would I trust it over people that buy the sets themselves and review them?

...the best Honest Review is the " Independent Reviewer" who "bought the set " came from thier HARD WORKING MONEY, and share their thoughts... 

And most important is they did not know/Friends the one who design the set... 

29 minutes ago, johnnytifosi said:

Keep shitting on Lego and you'd have the same treatment as Held did.

I didn't pay much attention to the debacle, but I think Held got "blacklisted" by LEGO because of his logo (I'm not discussing whether that was deserved or not), not his negative reviews.

34 minutes ago, johnnytifosi said:

If a channel depends on getting on getting a few hundred euros worth of handouts to be viable, why would I trust it over people that buy the sets themselves and review them?

So, you're accusing well-known entities like (in no particular order) Brickset, Eurobricks, New Elementary, RacingBrick or Sariel of being brown-nosing untrustworthy liars who will say anything to get those sweet, sweet free bricks. Quite a bold statement you have there.

Here's another example: Sariel and JANGBRiCKS. I picked these two because I frequently watch both channels and in my opinion they have similar levels of positivity/negativity, knowledgeability and sincerity in their reviews. However, if I'm understanding correctly, none of that matters to you simply because the former gets the review material from LEGO while the latter buys it.

I've been on the Internet long enough to know nothing will change your views on the matter, but, to everyone else on the fence: as a former LEGO Ambassador, I know first-hand, black-on-white, that TLG wants reviews of stuff they give to always be honest and sincere, and won't punish anyone for speaking their mind. I'm sure anyone who's dealt with TLG can corroborate this.

24 minutes ago, AVCampos said:

I know first-hand, black-on-white, that TLG wants reviews of stuff they give to always be honest and sincere, and won't punish anyone for speaking their mind. I'm sure anyone who's dealt with TLG can corroborate this.

I hope, that this is not only official approach, but also unofficial one. I will not judge here lego reviewers, but I can give example of other branch: movies: If reviewer will not be positive enough, then exclusive invitations for prepremiere shows say bye bye.

1 hour ago, Dylan M said:

...the best Honest Review is the " Independent Reviewer" who "bought the set " came from thier HARD WORKING MONEY, and share their thoughts... 

And most important is they did not know/Friends the one who design the set... 

I'm sure you find lots of experienced and trustful reviewers online with full transparency who do this strictly in their free time, without monetizing videos, running ads on their websites or using affiliate links, simply because making LEGO reviews is such a fun and rewarding activity thanks to the huge overly-positive and accepting fan community.  

39 minutes ago, keymaker said:

I can give example of other branch: movies: If reviewer will not be positive enough, then exclusive invitations for prepremiere shows say bye bye.

Yes, that does happen in some industries (I think car companies, too), and I recall many years ago a reviewer showing an e-mail from a (electronics? I was a long time ago) company complaining that the review wasn't positive enough. That's most likely the reason for some people distrusting reviews of sponsored LEGO sets. But, like I wrote, that's not the way TLG (and certainly at least a few other companies) work.

13 minutes ago, kbalage said:

the huge overly-positive and accepting fan community

Haha, zing! But don't feel too discouraged: as with everything, those who dislike tend to be more vocal than those who like.

9 minutes ago, Maaboo35 said:

He's refused to buy and review sets in which he had no interest, i.e. 42133 last year.

That reminds of an interesting case: the sets he usually reviews are provided by LEGO, but not, for example, the Osprey. Therefore, according to those with the "sponsored reviews are always biased" opinion, his Osprey review is great and the others are rubbish, regardless of their actual content.

Have any of you made a Lego buying decision purely based on the opinion of a product review?

Seeing the part list, functions in action and the size in scale to other sets are pretty much the criteria I use.

4 hours ago, johnnytifosi said:

His anti-Lego attitude makes him even less trustworthy when it comes to Lego since he tends to overreact on anything he can portray negatively or sometimes just makes it up. Not to mention beeing "good friends" with some people behind some of Lego's competition.

1 hour ago, AVCampos said:

That reminds of an interesting case: the sets he usually reviews are provided by LEGO, but not, for example, the Osprey. Therefore, according to those with the "sponsored reviews are always biased" opinion, his Osprey review is great and the others are rubbish, regardless of their actual content.

My concern is that Sariel will skip past sets he considers not worth his time, and thus we won't get his take on them. What if he can't be bothered with the John Deere 948L-II? I mean, that's probably unlikely, but still. He even missed out a couple of sets from the recent January wave.