Sign in to follow this  
blaz62

[MOC] Volvo FH16 750 with large knuckle boom crane

Hello

I can finally present you my new model, which I have been made for more that 2 years. This is Volvo FH16 truck with the most powerful D16 engine, 750 hp with large knuckle boom crane. For this model, i made a completely new chassis, which is much more rigid than previous models. The drivetrain is also completely new. I manage to make 8x6 configurations (previus was 8x4). It is realy robust and can tow or drive more weight. Specly large crane.

VolvoFH-small-3.JPG 

Truck specs:
-Modular design (chassis, cab, engine, rear outriggers)
-Full suspensions
-Cabin is sprung with 4 shock absorbers
-Working linear 6 clyinders Volvo Penta D16 engine. The engine can be removed from the vehicle and placed on a stand. Stand instructions are included
-Detail cabin
-PF Lights can be added to the cab. (front lights and cabin lights on top).

For that truck i made new version of crane. This is my biggest Lego Technic truck knuckle boom crane. The total length with two additional fly JIBs is 110 cm. It arose from the knowledge and ideas I used in my past crane projects. I tried to get as close as possible to the real version. The crane is completely manual and does not contain any electric motor.

L-crane.JPG

I got the inspiration for the crane from the manufacturer Palfinger and their model PK 165.002 TEC 7. This is their largest side mounted kuckle boom crane for trucks. It has a maximum lifting capacity of 32,000kg and the range of 36.1m (with fly JIB).

In the design of the crane I wanted to make the best ratio between design and functionality. Lego bricks are plastic and have their limitations. The crane can lift up to 400 grams of loads on the first boom. With greater length the lifting force is reduced. The second additional arm (JIB) is just for decoration and cannot lift a larger load. At higher loads, there may be difficulty turning the arm through the mechanism. So it helps turn by the hand. Bending of certain axes can also occur at higher loads.

All functions are made so that they can be easily performed. All major movements are performed via rotating gears, which have a suitable ratio. The extension of the boom is made via levers or gear racks depends on the segment.

L-crane-9.JPG

Crane functions:
Crane:
-massive supestructure with 8 connections points
-support legs for maximum stability. They can be fold up
-360° infinite rotation
-Lift the first and second segments
-3-stage extensiom boom of the first arm
-Removable winch
First JIB:
-removable additional arm with 2-stage extension boom
-adjustable angle
Second JIB:
-removable additional arm with 1-stage extension boom
-adjustable angle
-stored above the oil tank

VolvoFH-small-15.JPG

After crane you can instal flatbed or fifth wheel.

VolvoFH-small-13.JPG

Complete truck with crane have 4351 parts

VolvoFH-small-27.JPG

VolvoFH-small-29.JPG

VolvoFH-small-22.JPG

More photos: 

https://bricksafe.com/pages/Sthrom_Creations/volvo-fh16

https://bricksafe.com/pages/Sthrom_Creations/large-knuckle-boom-crane

I made some episod while making the project:

Separate video for crane:

I also made instructions for all of them, which are available:

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-118230/sthrom/volvo-fh16-750-8x6-with-crane/#details

Edited by blaz62

I was following your progress on YouTube and must admit that I'm very very impressed with your Volvo :thumbup:

Unusual solution with 16 tooth gear and planetary hubs 

i also saw this on YT.  Lots of projects going on, but I would really like to build this someday.  Beautiful build.  Thanks for sharing... 

32 minutes ago, Jeroen Ottens said:

Wow! This is like a supercharged 8258. That crane is just insane. Very well done.

Do you have a photo of the engine as well?

Its in the YT video.  It is pretty good looking.  

@Milan Wow, thank you. i'm honored!

@1gor  it was one of the different variants. In the end, I'm chose the another one, which was stronger. 

@Jeroen Ottens

VolvoFH-small.JPG

Here is more photos. I also made instructions only for engine and are free. 

Edited by blaz62

@blaz62 at the end (if I understand correctly) you use 2 coupled PF Large motors that transfer from 24 tooth gear to old 4L differential and over old gray differentials to planetary hub reduction from 42099 set...

Oh man, really great work!

The crane is impressive, also I find it very funny you first went with pneumatics and then changed to large LAs, I went the other way around :D

Also very clever to make a sprung cabin. Love the looks!

7 minutes ago, blaz62 said:

@1gor that's right 

I have tried the same on my Fastrac but ended up very slow; something like 42099 set, so I'll keep reduction hubs for something more heavy than Fastrac and much much slower...

@1gor the speed is not very fast. I wanted more torque, because the truck is quite heavy...

Axadder thank you. I put the most effort into this part.

Few more pics.

volvo-4.JPG

volvo-6.JPG

Edited by blaz62

Now you are tempting me to make FM (orange since I have some orange parts and in 1:15 scale with wheels from black cat or batmobile) as container truck or to tow bigger agriculture machinery 

Very detailed and beautiful. Getting goosebumps at your dedication & the amount time that you put in to make it perfect.

While I wait for a shipment for my version of the Airbus helicopter I have decided to build this.  Started the trek of gathering pieces now!

This truck is very well built, with the huge crane it is even better. In the video I saw a really nice trailer with steered axles, is it also yours and will there be instructions for that trailer?

On 9/19/2022 at 8:00 AM, nerdsforprez said:

While I wait for a shipment for my version of the Airbus helicopter I have decided to build this.  Started the trek of gathering pieces now!

So I finally got around to completing this build and creating a little video.  So happy I did.  Very awesome build.  Here are a few of my observations: 

- @blaz62 I'm not sure you mentioned in your presentation about the locking diff locking to two rear axles.  It is obvious from the drivetrain pic you posted but this is such an awesome function.  I demonstrated the utility of this in my video near the end.  Driving on rough carpet approaching a rug the vehicle could not overcome the rug driving only the one axle.  But switching to all 3 drive axles and it drove up the bump flawlessly.  

- No joke the torque on this is quite impressive.  I used two of the Mouldy King L motors, which are more powerful then Lego L PF motors, and as can be seen in the video, I could climb a 22 degree slope with 1500 grams in the back.  Quite impressive indeed given that no real semi would attempt a 22 degree slope hauling a load.  Or at least, it is not common to climb that grade here in the US.  

- The crane is a lot of fun to play with.  I spent hours making the video.  Usually I am not a fan of filming, but I enjoyed playing with this model enough to make the process enjoyable.  Strong crane.  I also lifted some relatively heavy things.  Had it lifting my  Megalodon teeth collection (silly, I know, but diving/excavating for teeth is my other hobby) (pic below) 

- Also don't think the OP mentioned the working windshield wipers.  Again, another plus.  Working doors as well.  OP already posted the other functions, I thought I would just add these as they are not listed in the initial posting.  

Wonderful build @blaz62.  Highly recommend.  Looks impressive among my collection.  Sure I will be keeping it around for quite some time.  

20231125_073950edited_smallII

20231125_073820_small

20231125_065736small

20231125_074837