MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2023 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

9 minutes ago, Legofan2001 said:

Well lego could test the power of the memes on a High Ground 18+ set and see how it sells🤷‍♂️ 

I give up. Either you're trolling or just plain illiterate. Either way, for the sake of both this forum staying remotely on topic and my own sanity I will henceforth not be replying to or acknowledging your messages, and frankly I'd beseech everyone else to do the same.

Edited by Retro Brick Reviews

1 hour ago, The Stud said:

I somewhat agree with the general idea of what you’re saying though, just not specifically to the prequels. I do think Lego makes some pretty baffling decisions sometimes, especially this summer with sets like another Yoda’s Starfighter and the buildable Chewbacca. (I’d even argue that, even though I’m excited for it, it’s still a bit of an odd time to do Yavin IV as well, when it seems like there’s so much demand for other sets that could have filled that $160 range at this time.) Even though I think Lego *generally* has a good pulse on what the fans want, and what will also sell with kids, I still find myself questioning the logic behind some of their decisions.

I’m inclined to agree. There’s no denying that Lego do at least have one finger on the pulse of fandom trends - the plethora of clones, new ships, increased representation from new media, and so on go to show that they aren’t completely oblivious to what people want to see (though the quality of the end results will vary), but you are right that other decisions just seem…confusing.

I’m one of those people that will always be drawn to System-scale sets above everything else, which also applies to things like the UCS AT-AT, Razor Crest, etc. It’s from that admittedly limited viewpoint that I find the summer wave to just feel ‘off‘ from the fairly solid pace Lego has maintained since 2020.

But all the same, there aren’t just binary ‘winter’ and ‘summer’ waves anymore - across May, June, August, and September, we’re getting 3 sets from the Mandalorian S3, 2 from Ahsoka, 1 from the OT, and 2 from the prequels / Clone Wars, and that’s before bringing the dioramas, mechs, and highly anticipated buildable Chewie into the mix. That’s not such a bad mix, even if the specific choices from the PT / Clone Wars are baffling, and another Jedi game once again gets deprived of any set representation. IMO, breaking down the debut of these sets to span a longer period of time has an impact, compared to releasing them all in a single wave.

I’m going to keep an open mind and hope that the system scale sets we do get are spectacular. Star Wars is my favourite theme but I must admit, I’m glad other themes will vie for my attention as this year goes on. 

1 hour ago, Fulcrumfan91 said:

Fair enough, tho considering how good the PT sets have been, I don't think that part is true at all. Like, come on. The AT-TE from last year rules. Grievous's Soulless One from 2020, while expensive, was so beautifully done...it'd be silly to say that they hate the PT.

No, I agree with you. I'm saying the other dude's comments feel like they're fueled more by the false belief that lego has some sort of secret anti-prequel bias than anything logical.

1 hour ago, Legofan2001 said:

It’s more like they hate TPM and especially AOTC. Lego on the clone front has been doing great since 2020 (outside the fact we still don’t have P2 Rex) 

Aight, so this'll be my last response here, since now I'm pretty sure you are trolling.

No. TLG does not "hate" any of the films. They are a company. If a movie's sets are selling well, they are more inclined to make it. They could care less about the film itself. A company's goal, as it should be, is to make money, and any sort of anti-prequel bias is entirely inconsistent with that goal.

That man only wears drip. He has a glorious new outfit every season and we need Lego to make a figure for every single one.

Correct. Apollo Creed's wardrobe carried over from Rocky.

The "High Ground" scene is arguably the most iconic scene in those films. It also being a meme doesn't mean every single Star Wars scene that's also a meme will be a hot seller.

Yup. I've suggested this set be made before, but not because of the meme, because it's one of the most emotional scenes in the prequels and the finale of the third film. A high ground qoute would not be what sells the set.

3 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

No, I agree with you. I'm saying the other dude's comments feel like they're fueled more by the false belief that lego has some sort of secret anti-prequel bias than anything logical.

Aight, so this'll be my last response here, since now I'm pretty sure you are trolling.

No. TLG does not "hate" any of the films. They are a company. If a movie's sets are selling well, they are more inclined to make it. They could care less about the film itself. A company's goal, as it should be, is to make money, and any sort of anti-prequel bias is entirely inconsistent with that goal.

Correct. Apollo Creed's wardrobe carried over from Rocky.

Yup. I've suggested this set be made before, but not because of the meme, because it's one of the most emotional scenes in the prequels and the finale of the third film. A high ground qoute would not be what sells the set.

Again here’s my question why wasn’t the 20th Anniversary Slave One AOTC themed? Why did we only get Two AOTC sets for the 20th anniversary of AOTC? How is anyone supposed to know well AOTC sets would sell if lego hasn’t made any AOTC sets since 2013? (Outside the Obi Wan Starfighters) heck even for the AOTC sets we’ve gotten the past 10 years only the Obi Wan’s Starfighters and Yoda vs Dooku are the only non droid or clone based AOTC sets! Like good example why isn’t the Yoda’s Starfighter instead a Yoda vs Dooku remake? 

4 hours ago, omegabadbatch said:

I think lego made purple clones only for windu. Not beacuse lego really wanted purple clones.

Mace had his own legion in Clone Wars season 7 that would’ve made more sense to include. Lego just makes baffling decisions sometimes. Plus like others have said, the 327th aren’t that much more obscure than the 41st. 

What baffles me most is how Captain Rex still hasn’t been remade? I know fans tend to have their own favourite prominent clones, but Rex is one of those major characters that Lego still hasn’t gotten around to - and his prominence is surely objective rather than subjective.

I really thought the January battle pack and helmet set were surefire indicators that he’d finally be revisited this year, even if it was in a small set, but nope. It’s weird feeling this level of disappointment over yet another clone character given how well Lego has been covering them recently, but his omission just feels glaring.

1 hour ago, Legofan2001 said:

Again here’s my question why wasn’t the 20th Anniversary Slave One AOTC themed? Why did we only get Two AOTC sets for the 20th anniversary of AOTC? How is anyone supposed to know well AOTC sets would sell if lego hasn’t made any AOTC sets since 2013? (Outside the Obi Wan Starfighters) heck even for the AOTC sets we’ve gotten the past 10 years only the Obi Wan’s Starfighters and Yoda vs Dooku are the only non droid or clone based AOTC sets! Like good example why isn’t the Yoda’s Starfighter instead a Yoda vs Dooku remake? 

Ugh, fine. One more, but this is the last time, I swear.

Because Boba's slave one is significantly more iconic. Because lego doesn't make many sets for film anniversaries, it's not really a thing. Because they have made AOTC sets since 2013 and because if your criteria is "not based on the two main factions of the trilogy" then you could say the same thing about ESB or ROTJ. Because lego has probably found that vehicles sell better than location sets, overall, even if many of us on the forum wish it was the other way around. Granted, that last one's a fairly reasonable question, but c'mon. The rest of these are obvious.

I was pondering this, but, that one unnamed set that has like 1083 pieces or whatever, what're the chances it's an Andor set? Thinking Fondor. If it is...lol man Im gonna have difficult decisions to make on which sets I get this year!

6 minutes ago, Fulcrumfan91 said:

I was pondering this, but, that one unnamed set that has like 1083 pieces or whatever, what're the chances it's an Andor set? Thinking Fondor. If it is...lol man Im gonna have difficult decisions to make on which sets I get this year!

I highly doubt it is, but it would be pretty cool, though I'd have the same problem as you.

I think we all need to realize that honestly, we have no idea what the 1083 piece set is, we don't even have a price point. Speculating on it is, well, just baseless speculation.

1 minute ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I highly doubt it is, but it would be pretty cool, though I'd have the same problem as you.

I think we all need to realize that honestly, we have no idea what the 1083 piece set is, we don't even have a price point. Speculating on it is, well, just baseless speculation.

Ah yeah, for sure. We'll have to wait for official confirmation/images! Looking forward to all of that tho

44 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Good point. The one thing I do feel comfortable in saying is that it will almost certainly be a vehicle (ship or otherwise), as the odds of getting two large SW playsets in the $100-$200 range are very unlikely.

If I had to baselessly speculate though, I could see it being a Turbo Tank - either Republic or Imperial. It's a totally unique vehicle within Star Wars, and judging by past releases it seems to be one of LEGO's favorite designs from the prequels (this is the longest we've ever gone without one on shelves, they even released one during the sequel era when prequel sets were few and far between). And the piece count would make sense for a Turbo Tank if it was of similar size to the 2016 model with LEGO's modern level of detail.

As for era I could see it going either way. A Republic Turbo Tank would be a great set for the Clone Wars anniversary, and be an opportunity to release Phase II Rex before MandR burns down LEGO HQ. On the other hand, an Imperial Juggernaut would tie in with Mando (not sure if it'll appear in s3 but the s2 episode with it was one of the best of the series) and would give a nice beefy Empire set and fig selection to go up against the Rebels in Yavin IV (as getting at least two, probably more Fleet Troopers with nobody to fight except Stormtrooper mechs would be a weird choice, then again this is LEGO Star Wars lol).

That said, this is, again, just baseless speculation.

Edited by Retro Brick Reviews

44 minutes ago, Retro Brick Reviews said:

I could see it being a Turbo Tank - either Republic or Imperial.

On the other hand, an Imperial Juggernaut would tie in with Mando (not sure if it'll appear in s3 but the s2 episode with it was one of the best of the series) and would give a nice beefy Empire set and fig selection to go up against the Rebels in Yavin IV

Wait, do you mean an Imperial juggernaut like the ones from Mando, or an Imp version of the Republic juggernaut(/turbo tank), meaning it might be a Bad Batch set?

Edited by AD_Bricks

Jeez this thread derailed but not in the fun way.

Though just to have my 2 cents IMO well chosen iconic prequel dioramas would sell better than poorly chosen original trilogy ones like the meditation chamber, but they haven't really repeated that blunder yet so I don't think we'll see any prequel dioramas until they've exhausted the best and most suitable moments from the OT (so what 2025).

I could see us getting a Mustafar diorama in 2025, given that is probably one of the easiest prequel scenes to convert into an 18+ display set and sell for $60+ (also the 20th anniversary of RotS, so who knows), and by then they may have exhausted some of the most obvious OT scenes.

In more on topic question, thinking about the maybe the 4th promo, if it is the same style as last year, what is a little scene they could do that would make sense with the X-wing and include one exclusive minifigure? ( Though only one of Beru's prints was new and exclusive iirc)

The Lars Homestead is something that LEGO had never done before. So going by that logic I could see the promo being based off something like that or something that hasn't been done in a while. 

A section of Home One with Admiral Ackbar maybe? 

3 minutes ago, Tariq j said:

The Lars Homestead is something that LEGO had never done before. So going by that logic I could see the promo being based off something like that or something that hasn't been done in a while. 

Home One seems fairly likely, since it can't really be anything from Yavin and I can't think of anything they could do for Empire. Either Ackbar or Mon Mothma would make great figures, though I think the latter is more likely because of Andor making her relevant again (like how getting Beru coincided with her appearance in Kenobi).

37 minutes ago, Retro Brick Reviews said:

Either Ackbar or Mon Mothma would make great figures […]

Personally, I‘d prefer the GWP set to be independent from the X-Wing, but if it has to be connected, Mon Mothma would be the best minifig choice by far IMO. Similar to Beru, all she‘d need is a new torso print :classic:

Also, regarding the meme set discussion: I love whenever TLG acknowledge memes, but those references tend to be  rather subtle. Good examples are the framed Spidey picture in the Daily Bugle, Obi-Wan‘s „visibly confused“ facial expression in last year‘s AOTC set, and Boromir‘s „You don‘t simply walk into Mordor“ facial expression.

Making memes the focal point of a set on the other hand is a pretty terrible idea :tongue: They‘re supposed to be fun little easter eggs, not a major selling point!

Edited by BrickBob Studpants

40 minutes ago, Tariq j said:

34 minutes ago, Retro Brick Reviews said:

since it can't really be anything from Yavin and I can't think of anything they could do for Empire.

Perhaps the room of the Death Star with the screen displaying Yavin IV and how close the DS is to targeting it? It's been done before, but not for a while, and never as its own set. It seems like the kind of thing that would be a GWP, and would go spectacularly with Yavin.

Spoiler

ST-v-SW.Net :: Death Star Acceleration

Image spoilered to save space.

1 hour ago, Retro Brick Reviews said:

Home One seems fairly likely, since it can't really be anything from Yavin and I can't think of anything they could do for Empire. Either Ackbar or Mon Mothma would make great figures

I nominate Prune Face!

2 hours ago, Retro Brick Reviews said:

Home One seems fairly likely, since it can't really be anything from Yavin and I can't think of anything they could do for Empire. Either Ackbar or Mon Mothma would make great figures, though I think the latter is more likely because of Andor making her relevant again (like how getting Beru coincided with her appearance in Kenobi).

Mon Mothma is a good shout and (although not as recent as Andor) she also appeared in Rebels and Rogue One. 

1 hour ago, AD_Bricks said:

Perhaps the room of the Death Star with the screen displaying Yavin IV and how close the DS is to targeting it? It's been done before, but not for a while, and never as its own set. It seems like the kind of thing that would be a GWP, and would go spectacularly with Yavin.

Would also give us a Tarkin figure. 

21 hours ago, Big_Daddy said:

A few general remarks considering the topics discussed here lately:
-Considering to the popularity of clones I don't think it matters what clone division will be included in the swamp speeder. Personally I wouldn't mind 41st Clones because I missed out on those, but if it would make more of you people happy I'd rather have the 327th ones :grin:
-As much as I adore the PT I had to look up what the Geonosis arena looks like from the outside and what I saw doesn't look like something we'll ever see as a set, even if it was from the OT
-Dioramas don't really interest me up until now but if there were one with "I don't like sand" I'd be all over that. We shouldn't underestimate the power of memes!
-I don't know about sales in general but over the past years I've only wanted a fraction of all sets released. If there'd be more (non-clone) PT sets I would be way more interested than OT remakes, so they'd be making more money from me personally. But as I said, I just might be in the minority there.

While the meme is popular, they aren't going to make a $70 diorama for a quote like that (since that is the price-range they've chose for these). If anything, I could see an AOTC diorama for the Droid Factory, but that would be about it. It's the only more enclosed scene that would work for a $70 setup imo. 

And I'd agree as far as only wanting a fraction of sets anymore. As an OT guy personally (and liking a lot of PT stuff as well, especially vehicles/scenes from EPIII), with so many sets being just around new material or Clones, I'm not interested in a lot. Heck, the dioramas are some of the few sets I actually collect at this point for Star Wars. If they did another solid ROTS wave like in 2014, I would be so happy, but as it is, another Clone vehicle doesn't do anything for me. 

OT Fans: I miss the desert. I miss the sea. And I miss waking up every morning, wondering what wonderful OT battle pack the new day will bring to us.

LEGO: Have some more clones

PT Fans: I hate sand

Edited by NoOneOfImportance