MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2023 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

The biggest question for the PT is less of what hasn't been made so much as what LEGO would make as desired playsets/vehicles for kids within viable price points. It's easy to say that LEGO never made a $650 Naboo field with some cows, so they're underrepresenting Naboo in Episode 2, but no one would buy that (well, someone would, but that's an outlier). 

The thing is, we've gotten a good amount of TPM sets covering all the main scenes. We have the Podrace in 4 sets (plus the Podracer box and Watto's Junkyard), we have two Gungan Subs, two Flash Speeders, lots of N-1s, 2 Vulture Droids (E1), 2 AATs, 4 Sith Infiltrators, 1 Final Duel set, 3 Trade Federation opening scene sets (Republic Cruiser and 2 Jedi Defense sets), 3 MTTs, Naboo Swamp, Kaduu, etc. While there is definitely more they can make, and stuff they can update I don't think we can say that TPM scenes are underrepresented. They've definitely represented all of the main scenes well. If anything, the main NEW thing I could see them actually making would be a Lucrehulk at $170 or so with some microscale N-1s and such, but that wouldn't necessarily sell all that well to general audiences unless it was packed with an interior or good figs (the Rexcelsior from TLM2 was another microscale $100+ ship, and I don't think it did all that well for kids). 

For Episode 2, we've had a comprehensive Battle of Geonosis across multiple years, especially 2013, but that is the main thing. While I would agree that sets like Jango's S1 is deserving of a remake (and Bounty Hunter pursuit (or just put a new Zam in the S1 like Zuckuss was in the 2019)), there also aren't that may good vehicles or basic playsets for LEGO to make. They aren't going to do a $350 Coruscant just to have Death Sticks guy and the worms that attacked Padme in a set, just like they aren't going to have a $30 Balcony scene with Anakin and Padme's wedding. As much as the figs would be cool, they wouldn't sell for the main audience of system sets: kids, or, in the case of Coruscant, it wouldn't do well enough for them to make it at that price point most likely. 

Don't get me wrong. I would love to see some arena beasts made, or Padme's ship (in LBG, inevitably), or a remake of Jango's S1, but we also have to recognize that every set, from $25-$650, has to be something they know will sell, and a wedding scene or Naboo fields just won't, even if they "increase the catalog of Episode 2 sets." While I'm not saying that people necessarily actually want those, it is something to consider.

29 minutes ago, NoOneOfImportance said:

The biggest question for the PT is less of what hasn't been made so much as what LEGO would make as desired playsets/vehicles for kids within viable price points. It's easy to say that LEGO never made a $650 Naboo field with some cows, so they're underrepresenting Naboo in Episode 2, but no one would buy that (well, someone would, but that's an outlier). 

The thing is, we've gotten a good amount of TPM sets covering all the main scenes. We have the Podrace in 4 sets (plus the Podracer box and Watto's Junkyard), we have two Gungan Subs, two Flash Speeders, lots of N-1s, 2 Vulture Droids (E1), 2 AATs, 4 Sith Infiltrators, 1 Final Duel set, 3 Trade Federation opening scene sets (Republic Cruiser and 2 Jedi Defense sets), 3 MTTs, Naboo Swamp, Kaduu, etc. While there is definitely more they can make, and stuff they can update I don't think we can say that TPM scenes are underrepresented. They've definitely represented all of the main scenes well. If anything, the main NEW thing I could see them actually making would be a Lucrehulk at $170 or so with some microscale N-1s and such, but that wouldn't necessarily sell all that well to general audiences unless it was packed with an interior or good figs (the Rexcelsior from TLM2 was another microscale $100+ ship, and I don't think it did all that well for kids). 

For Episode 2, we've had a comprehensive Battle of Geonosis across multiple years, especially 2013, but that is the main thing. While I would agree that sets like Jango's S1 is deserving of a remake (and Bounty Hunter pursuit (or just put a new Zam in the S1 like Zuckuss was in the 2019)), there also aren't that may good vehicles or basic playsets for LEGO to make. They aren't going to do a $350 Coruscant just to have Death Sticks guy and the worms that attacked Padme in a set, just like they aren't going to have a $30 Balcony scene with Anakin and Padme's wedding. As much as the figs would be cool, they wouldn't sell for the main audience of system sets: kids, or, in the case of Coruscant, it wouldn't do well enough for them to make it at that price point most likely. 

Don't get me wrong. I would love to see some arena beasts made, or Padme's ship (in LBG, inevitably), or a remake of Jango's S1, but we also have to recognize that every set, from $25-$650, has to be something they know will sell, and a wedding scene or Naboo fields just won't, even if they "increase the catalog of Episode 2 sets." While I'm not saying that people necessarily actually want those, it is something to consider.

Make them 18+ sets in that case. The Naboo Balcony would look as a Diorama and would probably sell well as one. Honestly that’s what bugs me more than anything just how much they’re wasting these 18+ sets especially the diorama’s. 

50 minutes ago, Legofan2001 said:

but who was actually was asking for a swamp speeder remake ESPECIALLY if it ends up being Kashyyyk clones. 

Because it's not about "us" asking for these sets that Lego cares about, at the end of the day, they wanna make profits when it comes to selling toys to their primary demographic, children and more specifically, their parents. So their choices are based on what they think will actually sell well. If Kashyyyk stuff sold well in the past (seems to be the case seeing as how one of their 20th anniversary sets was a Kashyyyk playset) then they'll keep putting that stuff out. I'm pretty tired of the constant OT remakes but that's literally how this stuff works :shrug_confused: you're setting yourself up for disappointment by expecting to see x set that hasn't been remade in awhile or hasn't been released yet. Like it may come out at some point, like I've been waiting for a Naboo royal cruiser foreeeever lol I don't ever expect it to be made.

22 minutes ago, Fulcrumfan91 said:

Because it's not about "us" asking for these sets that Lego cares about, at the end of the day, they wanna make profits when it comes to selling toys to their primary demographic, children and more specifically, their parents. So their choices are based on what they think will actually sell well. If Kashyyyk stuff sold well in the past (seems to be the case seeing as how one of their 20th anniversary sets was a Kashyyyk playset) then they'll keep putting that stuff out. I'm pretty tired of the constant OT remakes but that's literally how this stuff works :shrug_confused: you're setting yourself up for disappointment by expecting to see x set that hasn't been remade in awhile or hasn't been released yet. Like it may come out at some point, like I've been waiting for a Naboo royal cruiser foreeeever lol I don't ever expect it to be made.

Here’s what I don’t understand though. Lego remakes the same crap on loop because it “sells” but how do know that a 50 dollar Bounty Hunter Pursuit also wouldn’t sell? Or a Theed Palace playset? Heck we know Boba Fett slave one’s sell so why not remake Jango’s? You can’t tell me the sales and profit margins on a Jango’s slave one would be any worse than Boba’s. 

3 minutes ago, Legofan2001 said:

Here’s what I don’t understand though. Lego remakes the same crap on loop because it “sells” but how do know that a 50 dollar Bounty Hunter Pursuit also wouldn’t sell? Or a Theed Palace playset? Heck we know Boba Fett slave one’s sell so why not remake Jango’s? You can’t tell me the sales and profit margins on a Jango’s slave one would be any worse than Boba’s. 

Because....the OT is just...a piece of film cultural history. The prequels are not (and I'm a prequel guy myself) and I don't know that they ever will be because of their clear problems as films. Not a ton of ppl are gonna buy a playset of a random area seen for a few mins in the films that are disliked next to the sequels, nor of a recoloured Slave I because that might cause confusion amongst the more casual fans. Most people remember Boba Fett, not Jango Fett. 

I think swamp speeder is with 41st. Why would lego make 327th which were seen for 2 seconds in movie instead of clones which were a lot of time. In 4 years were made 6 sets with clones. 4 of them with 41st.

Edited by omegabadbatch

4 minutes ago, omegabadbatch said:

I think swamp speeder is with 41st. Why would lego make 327th which were seen for 2 seconds in movie instead of clones which were a lot of time. In 4 years were made 6 sets with clones. 4 of them with 41st.

Yeah as much as I hate to admit it, it's very likely this is the case. Maybe with Luminara included. But it's rare that Lego creates more rare versions of clones (though the purple ones are an example of this..so who knows? I didn't even know those existed!)

2 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I might not agree with some of the "embarrassing" terminology, but you aren't wrong. Brickset definately supports that analysis. However, we can at least try to track lego's logic:

Some great analysis and discussion here, thoroughly enjoyed it. 

The irony is Episode 2 only has a select number of sets where Clone Troopers could feature. The ones that have, have been done: Gunships, AT-TE’s, Homing Spider Droid etc etc. 

With the success of TCW, combined with a considerable influx of Lego Star Wars fans that want Clone Troopers, Episode 2 actually has little appeal for the designers. That is of course assuming the logic above. 

At the same time, I am surprised we have not seen a Jango’s Starship and Coruscant Chase. I think we’d all agree that we’d buy those at RRP. 

8 minutes ago, omegabadbatch said:

Lego just made a set with clones based off of random obscure action figures from 15 years ago. Any clone legion is reasonable at this point. (Kashyyyk is more likely, but it’s certainly not a guarantee.)

15 hours ago, Jenga Fett1 said:

If excluding the minifigure potential, would a Geonosis Arena really be that exciting?

Yes. One because you can’t exclude minifigure potential, and 2 it’s an iconic scene for all prequel lovers. If some right, I can imagine an amazing display piece.

1 minute ago, QuiggoldsPegLeg said:

Lego just made a set with clones based off of random obscure action figures from 15 years ago. Any clone legion is reasonable at this point. (Kashyyyk is more likely, but it’s certainly not a guarantee.)

Yeah, this. 

Swamp speeder could be anything really. 

48 minutes ago, Fulcrumfan91 said:

Yeah as much as I hate to admit it, it's very likely this is the case. Maybe with Luminara included. But it's rare that Lego creates more rare versions of clones (though the purple ones are an example of this..so who knows? I didn't even know those existed!)

44 minutes ago, QuiggoldsPegLeg said:

I think lego made purple clones only for windu. Not beacuse lego really wanted purple clones.

Edited by omegabadbatch

14 minutes ago, Fulcrumfan91 said:

Because....the OT is just...a piece of film cultural history. The prequels are not (and I'm a prequel guy myself) and I don't know that they ever will be because of their clear problems as films. Not a ton of ppl are gonna buy a playset of a random area seen for a few mins in the films that are disliked next to the sequels, nor of a recoloured Slave I because that might cause confusion amongst the more casual fans. Most people remember Boba Fett, not Jango Fett. 

I’d argue that this was true 10 years ago but I really don’t think it’s the case anymore. It also is apparent that lego knows N1’s sell very well so why haven’t the branched off to make the Royal Star Cruiser? 

Just now, Legofan2001 said:

I’d argue that this was true 10 years ago but I really don’t think it’s the case anymore. It also is apparent that lego knows N1’s sell very well so why haven’t the branched off to make the Royal Star Cruiser? 

Because the N-1 they released recently was directly based off of a very popular character from a very popular show? Who's gonna buy Padme's ship other than diehards? 

1 hour ago, Legofan2001 said:

Make them 18+ sets in that case. The Naboo Balcony would look as a Diorama and would probably sell well as one. Honestly that’s what bugs me more than anything just how much they’re wasting these 18+ sets especially the diorama’s. 

Ok, hold on. Really. You think some $80 diorama of "I don't like sand" would sell anywhere near as a single one of the existing dioramas? Really? This is... dude. Think about it.

21 minutes ago, omegabadbatch said:

The 41st were not really seen for significantly longer than the 327th. As for your stat there... yes, in the weird sample of time during the sequels' release, we got a fair amount of 41st troopers due to the vehicles being made being heavily featured on Kashyyyk. Since then, and immediately before then, we've had a variety of other legions. Don't cherry-pick data.

12 minutes ago, ArrowBricks said:

Some great analysis and discussion here, thoroughly enjoyed it. 

The irony is Episode 2 only has a select number of sets where Clone Troopers could feature. The ones that have, have been done: Gunships, AT-TE’s, Homing Spider Droid etc etc. 

With the success of TCW, combined with a considerable influx of Lego Star Wars fans that want Clone Troopers, Episode 2 actually has little appeal for the designers. That is of course assuming the logic above. 

At the same time, I am surprised we have not seen a Jango’s Starship and Coruscant Chase. I think we’d all agree that we’d buy those at RRP. 

Yes, the two above are notable outliers of sets that would hypothetically sell well.

That said, my guess for Jango's is that since Boba's is more iconic and it'd be weird to have both on shelves at the same time, it just keeps getting shafted, especially with Boba's resurgence in the mandoverse. One possible way around this is to have, say, a new UCS slave one, with a system Jango's slave one alongside it, so that way both can be on shelves without feeling like too big of an overlap.

Edited by Mandalorianknight

11 minutes ago, ArrowBricks said:

Yeah I'd definitely buy both of these were they to be released. Without question.

7 minutes ago, Legofan2001 said:

"Lego knows N1s sell very well" do they? We generally got 1 every four years or so in that TCW era, but there was a 7 year gap between the last two, with the newest one being a different ship based off one of the most popular television shows of the past decade, and two of the most popular SW characters ever.

In addition, that argument is like "Lego must know x-wings sell well so why haven't they branched off to make the medical cruiser from TLJ?". Just because both ships are used by the same organization in-universe doesn't mean they'd sell just as well as eachother.

Edited by Mandalorianknight

14 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

The 41st were not really seen for significantly longer than the 327th. As for your stat there... yes, in the weird sample of time during the sequels' release, we got a fair amount of 41st troopers due to the vehicles being made being heavily featured on Kashyyyk. Since then, and immediately before then, we've had a variety of other legions. Don't cherry-pick data.

Yes, the two above are notable outliers of sets that would hypothetically sell well 

I rewatched battle of kashyyk and they are for a long time. Theyre preparing for attack, shooting, dying and 1 of them is trying to kill yoda. I mean they are longer a lot than 327th.

Edited by omegabadbatch

11 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Ok, hold on. Really. You think some $80 diorama of "I don't like sand" would sell anywhere near as a single one of the existing dioramas? Really? This is... dude. Think about it.

I mean I don’t like sand is probably of the most iconic lines from any movie even if it’s for the wrong reasons. (Granted it works far better as an anniversary set for AOTC but of course lego botched the anniversary of AOTC)

Edited by Legofan2001

8 minutes ago, Fulcrumfan91 said:

Lmao the sand line is a meme, and we got a UCS gunship and Ob1's Jedi Starfighter....Idk that I'd say it was botched per se. But that's just me.

Obi Wan’s Starfighter was 13 years ago (Meant UCS) As for the gunship they completely botched the figures and honestly they should’ve released it as the 2022 May the 4th set. 

Edited by Legofan2001

A few general remarks considering the topics discussed here lately:
-Considering to the popularity of clones I don't think it matters what clone division will be included in the swamp speeder. Personally I wouldn't mind 41st Clones because I missed out on those, but if it would make more of you people happy I'd rather have the 327th ones :grin:
-As much as I adore the PT I had to look up what the Geonosis arena looks like from the outside and what I saw doesn't look like something we'll ever see as a set, even if it was from the OT
-Dioramas don't really interest me up until now but if there were one with "I don't like sand" I'd be all over that. We shouldn't underestimate the power of memes!
-I don't know about sales in general but over the past years I've only wanted a fraction of all sets released. If there'd be more (non-clone) PT sets I would be way more interested than OT remakes, so they'd be maing more money from me personally. But as I said, I just might be in the minority there.

Edited by Big_Daddy

51 minutes ago, Legofan2001 said:

I mean I don’t like sand is probably of the most iconic lines from any movie even if it’s for the wrong reasons. (Granted it works far better as an anniversary set for AOTC but of course lego botched the anniversary of AOTC)

Do you actually think people are going to buy a set because it references a meme line, especially with that meme line being a meme because of how awful that scene was? More than that, you think "I don't like sand" is one of the most iconic lines from ANY MOVIE? I'd like to live in whatever world you seem to be in.

As for botching the AOTC anniversary, that's our fault. All signs seem to point to the AT-TE originally being AOTC based before it was changed to include P2 cody since people wanted him so badly.

54 minutes ago, omegabadbatch said:

I rewatched battle of kashyyk and they are for a long time. Theyre preparing for attack, shooting, dying and 1 of them is trying to kill yoda. I mean they are longer a lot than 327th.

Maybe in terms of percentage of screen time relative to eachother, but I think they're both on screen for under a minute or two tops. It wouldn't make a difference in lego's eyes, especially considering we literally just got a non canon legion.