MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2023 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

3 minutes ago, Retro Brick Reviews said:

If we get a UCS Mando N-1 before we get an actual UCS Phantom Menace N-1... I would be completely unsurprised by LEGO's poor decision-making.

10026?

1 hour ago, Agent Kallus said:

And it also depends on what the NWH set is like too :grin:

Unless we get around 3-5 new and exciting minifigs in the Mando / Ahsoka sets, the NWH set is winning by default for its minifigs alone :laugh:

I mean, come on. The 2021 2HY sets gave us Bo-katan, Moff Gideon, a Darktrooper, Fennec Shand, the Armorer, TCW Maul, and the Bad Batch. Last year’s counterpart wave brought us Omega, a new Cad Bane, Taun We, Cody, new versions of the Inquisitors, Ned-B, Peli Motto, and two(!!) BD-Droids.

This year? Nothing, so far. Granted, we don’t have minifig lists yet. However, my point is, something like those two lists is pretty much impossible to achieve with what we know so far :tongue:

Edited by BrickBob Studpants

11 minutes ago, Retro Brick Reviews said:

If we get a UCS Mando N-1 before we get an actual UCS Phantom Menace N-1... I would be completely unsurprised by LEGO's poor decision-making.

What about a 2 in 1?

3 minutes ago, Agent Kallus said:

What about a 2 in 1?

The amount of parts that would need to be swapped to do this limits it somewhat. Usually 2-in-1s have to have the same colors.

Not sure why everyone's whining so much about the UCS X-wing. It's been a decade since the last one, and it's one of the three most iconic star wars vehicles. Is anyone actually surprised?

31 minutes ago, Retro Brick Reviews said:

I don’t think that it’d be that poor of a decision, certainly not from the financial side. The Mandalorian is huge and I fully believe that a UCS Mando N-1 would sell better than a Naboo one. Not that a TPM version would do poorly, I just think that the Mandalorian/Grogu association would draw a much bigger crowd at this time. The Razor Crest is probably one of the few occasions that Lego has dedicated a Star Wars UCS set to such a recent property (aside from the inclusion of a few ST figures in the Falcon and a few of the early UCS sets that were prequel-based) and that’s purely because of how much of a hit The Mandalorian has been.

In any case though, I’m not predicting a UCS model of this coming until maybe 2024 or more likely 2025 anyway. It took us about three years to get the UCS Razor Crest but that would also be a much more complex design.

28 minutes ago, Alpha Draconis said:

As long as R2's top half is correctly scaled to the model - I'm assuming it is since only Luke is the rumoured minifing - then it's already an improvement in my opinion. 

Promobricks specified both Luke and R2 as the minifigures coming with the set. If Lego doesn’t include a properly scaled R2 to actually go in the X-Wing, you could always try to find the May 4th polybag from a few years ago.

Speaking of Luke, I love the dual molding and arm printing on him. Kinda funny that it’s a better version of Luke than what you can get in the UCS AT-AT, which is about $600 more. (Granted, Luke shouldn’t even be wearing his X-Wing pilot outfit in that set. He should be wearing the Snowspeeder jumpsuit.)

Edited by The Stud

Well that's an easy pass. We didn't need a remake of Red 5 when there are so many more vehicles that are deserving of the UCS treatment. 

9 minutes ago, The Stud said:

Promobricks specified both Luke and R2 as the minifigures coming with the set. If Lego doesn’t include a properly scaled R2 to actually go in the X-Wing, you could always try to find the May 4th polybag from a few years ago.

bummer, I really hoped they wouldn't do that.

Now that we know what the May 4th UCS set is we can probably make a (slightly more) educated guess as to what the May 4th promo will be. I really hope they stick to the last year's format where it had some connection with the UCS set

My prediction: something to do with the rebel hangar or Home 1 - I think someone here already took a similar guess 

Just now, omegabadbatch said:

no bad batch sets this year?

Doesn't look like it.

UCS X-wing is a pass from me as well, just not much of a UCS guy. 

Curious to see what the other Mando szn 3 set is tho. But as I said, Swamp Speeder is a buy from me if it has Luminara or Aayla and the Felucia clones, I'm willing to bet anything the T-6 is coming out for Ahsoka so I'll get that one too and I'll be more than satisfied with that.

10 minutes ago, Alpha Draconis said:

Now that we know what the May 4th UCS set is we can probably make a (slightly more) educated guess as to what the May 4th promo will be. I really hope they stick to the last year's format where it had some connection with the UCS set

I still wish they went back to polybags. Like those awesome minifig stands we had for the RO, TLJ, and Solo sets! Imagine what we could‘ve had if they continued with those. Last year‘s promo was a step in the right direction, but please something other than OT content this time. I‘m getting sick and tired of it

2 hours ago, Retro Brick Reviews said:

Thinking on it further, while I definitely understand LEGO wanting to remake a UCS X-Wing, am I the only one who would've preferred if they'd done the black Sequel Trilogy version? It would be an original set, it has a sleeker and arguably cooler design, would have better potential for an exclusive minifigure (Poe with a new head in the warm tan color and the helmet from TSS), and we are REALLY overdue for more sequel sets, it's going on three years now. 

I know the reason we don't get sequel sets is because a lot of people have an irrational hatred for those movies (though six years ago I could've said the same about Attack of the Clones), but it's still a shame.

A ST X-Wing would be much more interesting but I could see people getting angry over it due to being a ST UCS. If we get a ST UCS soon though I hope its the Tie Silencer or Atmospheric Assault Lander. 

3 hours ago, Retro Brick Reviews said:

Thinking on it further, while I definitely understand LEGO wanting to remake a UCS X-Wing, am I the only one who would've preferred if they'd done the black Sequel Trilogy version? It would be an original set, it has a sleeker and arguably cooler design, would have better potential for an exclusive minifigure (Poe with a new head in the warm tan color and the helmet from TSS), and we are REALLY overdue for more sequel sets, it's going on three years now. 

I know the reason we don't get sequel sets is because a lot of people have an irrational hatred for those movies (though six years ago I could've said the same about Attack of the Clones), but it's still a shame.

I really doubt that, internet discourse is not reality. LEGO is a company if there's measurable interest in a specific subtheme of Star Wars they'll make it, they do not care if it leads to a grown adult screaming about it. The closest comparison to the current situation with sequel sets is how prequel era sets were treated, but despite the much worse response to those films there's never been a year since those films came out without a prequel set on shelves, even during the era where they were struggling to keep up with the sets for all 28 movies they released in the span of 4 years. The simple issue I think they're is with sequel content is it's just based on diminishing returns. A prequel set is very distinct from it's OT equivalent if it even has one. If LEGO wants to make a TIE, X-wing, Star Destroyer, etc why go with the version that exists solely to call back to how much people loved to OT versions when you can just cut out the middle man and do the universally loved version. Also why I doubt we'll get the clone wars Y-wing again, the only way they'll do these derivative models instead of the old favourites is if there's relevant tie in media to support it. I don't think we're ever gonna get a minifig scale (or larger) X-wing without Luke unless media supports it or if in coming years there's a massive resurgence in interest in Poe Dameron because as it is any general consumer looking for an X-wing probably wants Luke to pilot it.

Edited by Renny The Spaceman

UCS X-Wing sums up the second half of 2023 really. 

Still have hope for the Swamp Speeder, and for the Ahsoka sets later in the year. 

That 1000+ piece September set that’s unknown is another one I’m hanging onto. 

Edited by ArrowBricks

31 minutes ago, ArrowBricks said:

That 1000+ piece September set that’s unknown is another one I’m hanging onto. 

The only sets I have some hope for are the Mando and Ahsoka ones. I don‘t have much faith in that unknown one. Maybe a remake of one of the Freemaker sets, or a buildable Ben Quadrinaros :laugh_hard: Wait, those aren‘t from the OT. Buildable Moisture Vaporaptor!

I feel like a lot of people are looking at the UCS X-Wing from the perspective of an AFOL that's been collecting Star Wars for 5-10+ years (probably because most people on this forum fall into that demographic).  For someone that only recently got into LEGO or LSW, this makes a lot of sense.  I feel like the X-Wing and Millennium Falcon are the two "staples" of the theme that pretty much have to be on shelves in some form or another at almost all times.  Obviously they can do more re-releases at system scale, since UCS models only get one or two per year, but seeing that it's been a decade since the last UCS X-Wing, there's probably a very sizable portion of buyers that either missed the last one or weren't even into LEGO at the time.  Plus, the secondary market prices for UCS stuff are such that you basically have to buy any UCS/MBS model when it comes out or else pay 2-3x or more of the original price.

The Yavin set will include at least the following: Celebration Luke, Celebration Han, Celebration Leia, Chewbacca, C-3PO, R2-D2, General Dodonna, 2x pilots, and 2x fleet troopers. 

There are potentially more, but unclear at this point if so or how many.  

9 minutes ago, Renown said:

The Yavin set will include at least the following: Celebration Luke, Celebration Han, Celebration Leia, Chewbacca, C-3PO, R2-D2, General Dodonna, 2x pilots, and 2x fleet troopers. 

Firstly, there we go. Two Fleet Troopers and no Honor Guard. Debate solved.

Moving on, I'm pretty glad with this selection. "Celebration Han" is interesting, makes me wonder if we will get a new torso variant with the correct shirt. Two pilots is also good, I'm still holding put hope they'll be the two from the Battle of Yavin we've never gotten official helmets for (Red Leader and Gold Five), but chances are if we get someone from Red Squadron it'll be Biggs or Wedge.

Edited by Retro Brick Reviews

7 minutes ago, Renown said:

You have my attention. 

2 minutes ago, omegabadbatch said:

any ideas when we could see pictures from mandalorian and dioramas?

Last year we saw photos for the May wave around late March, so maybe around then again this year?

6 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Unless we get around 3-5 new and exciting minifigs in the Mando / Ahsoka sets, the NWH set is winning by default for its minifigs alone :laugh:

Not really too much to ask for though is it?

That's 5 sets so I'm sure we can get 5 new and exciting figs between them all ( hopefully one of those Babu Frik lookalikes, New republic Hera, Sabine, Mando Ahsoka and some new characters we don't even know who they are yet) a new show should have a great potential for new characters.

2 hours ago, Renown said:

That's 11 (or 10 plus R2) so hopefully more and if they are unclear maybe they could be Rogue one or Rebels figs? (Probably not, I know)

Edited by Agent Kallus

17 minutes ago, Renown said:

As expected then, not a single new minifig :tongue:

6 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

As expected then, not a single new minifig :tongue:

Let's try to keep this in perspective. 11 figs is more than any other Star Wars set this size/price has ever included, almost 2x what we typically see. I know everyone here loves to fantasize about Hera and Chopper and Rogue One figs and so on... but try to remember that this is an exceptional assortment of minifigures for a Star Wars set, more in line with Harry Potter.