MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2023 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

When I see LEGO Star Wars helmet sets, I think to myself that they are a huge waste of money. Generally not a fan of sets that are for display only and can't be interacted with aside from the build process. There are exceptions. The art sets or the Titanic for example. You can make viable arguments for those. But these tiny helmets for $70 make no sense to me. At $70, you might as well pay the extra $50-$60 for an actual display-worthy replica with weathering on it and battle damage. They look cool. 

I sometimes wonder if everyone is buying the helmets more out of a passion for collecting everything LEGO Star Wars than because there is some objective coolness to the helmets. 

Edited by Something_Awesome

2 hours ago, Something_Awesome said:

When I see LEGO Star Wars helmet sets, I think to myself that they are a huge waste of money. Generally not a fan of sets that are for display only and can't be interacted with aside from the build process. There are exceptions. The art sets or the Titanic for example. You can make viable arguments for those. But these tiny helmets for $70 make no sense to me. At $70, you might as well pay the extra $50-$60 for an actual display-worthy replica with weathering on it and battle damage. They look cool. 

I sometimes wonder if everyone is buying the helmets more out of a passion for collecting everything LEGO Star Wars than because there is some objective coolness to the helmets. 

For me the build process is the main thing I'm looking for in a set. For example I wasn't heavily invested in the Kenobi show but bought the Scythe because I thought it would be a fantastic build and it was. As an OT fan I'll probably get the Boushh helmet because I like the look of it and again it looks like an interesting build to get all the different angles. Yes a replica helmet would look more authentic but the only interaction there is taking it out of the box and putting it on a shelf.

As far as art sets go I would definitely get Starry Night and perhaps the Great Wave if money was no issue but have zero interest in sets like the Sith art, Batman, Elvis etc. as by all accounts the build process is tedious. The Titanic looks like an interesting build but I have no interest in displaying something where many people died, but that's just my personal preference.

Just as a heads-up: A EB member is currently spreading obviously made-up rumours in all the licensed threads. Don’t be surprised if they barge in here, claiming to have seen pictures of a Jedi Temple or Petranaki Arena set :laugh_hard:

8 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Just as a heads-up: A EB member is currently spreading obviously made-up rumours in all the licensed threads. Don’t be surprised if they barge in here, claiming to have seen pictures of a Jedi Temple or Petranaki Arena set :laugh_hard:

Ha, let's hope they just saw your post and then left.

5 hours ago, astroboy75 said:

Do we have the price point of the 2nd half year D2C or not yet ?

Afaik, we don't, but there is that strange US$200 set coming in Sep.

I'm curious to see what kind of set they'll do for that; how much of a display set it'll be (Display stand? Not great for figs?), what they'll do in terms of play features, whether it'll be a location or a starship, perhaps a mini-MBS style thing... it's a strange one.

24 minutes ago, AD_Bricks said:

Afaik, we don't, but there is that strange US$200 set coming in Sep.

I'm curious to see what kind of set they'll do for that; how much of a display set it'll be (Display stand? Not great for figs?), what they'll do in terms of play features, whether it'll be a location or a starship, perhaps a mini-MBS style thing... it's a strange one.

Could honestly just see this being a larger set for some show this year. We already have $170 system sets, so a $200 one-off for a show or something wouldn't surprise me.

On 1/26/2023 at 7:32 AM, Clone OPatra said:

Gotta love TLG's continued bogus "Clone Wars 20th Anniversary" celebration. They have barely touched most of the actual films' milestone anniversaries, yet here they are with 2008+ CG Clone Wars related-ish material (ish because the battle pack wasn't even based on actual Clone Wars but Battlefront), marking 20 years since an inconsequential and later retconned web series.

I'm not mad at the actual products at all - the Battlepack and getting some popular Clone helmets for the helmet line are great - but it just continues the feeling that the Star Wars design team doesn't really care about specifics.

Anyway, nice to see a RotJ helmet for the RotJ anniversary, given that it's something that actually appeared in the movie. Though, why is the whole top section brown? In the very stills features in the box, it's obvious that the whole top section is metallic/silvery.

Oh what I wouldn't give to get some sets and other products based on that original series! Roron Corobb, Dirge, armored Jedi Master Saesee Tinn-- and to say nothing of all the cool droids and vehicles that never got reinvented for the canon Clone Wars series.

21 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

B— but I took a survey! LEGO has shown me a 300€ buildable Nute Gunray set! It's coming guys, I swear!

8 hours ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

B— but I took a survey! LEGO has shown me a 300€ buildable Nute Gunray set! It's coming guys, I swear!

To be fair, focus group surveys do exist (I've taken several for Amazon Prime and watched shows and movies a couple months early), but I thought Lego's focus groups were more focused on the building experience (especially for young kids) and require a more hands on approach than just pictures.

8 hours ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

Now that’s just unrealistic. Everyone knows that we’re getting a buildable Daultay Dofine, with special “Stunted Slime” action. 

On 1/27/2023 at 11:23 PM, Something_Awesome said:

My thoughts exactly. The concept would be nifty if some MOCers would make those helmets but as an official Lego product is beyond me... It pains me to see that they take up set slots. But well, apparently there are enough people who disagree with us from Lego's perspective :tongue:

9 hours ago, Big_Daddy said:

My thoughts exactly. The concept would be nifty if some MOCers would make those helmets but as an official Lego product is beyond me... It pains me to see that they take up set slots. But well, apparently there are enough people who disagree with us from Lego's perspective :tongue:

I have often wondered myself how popular they are, just because I don't like them doesn't mean everyone else does as well. Thing is I have never even considered buying them as parts packs either, as I often do with other sets I don't particularly care for.

12 hours ago, Johnny1360 said:

I have often wondered myself how popular they are, just because I don't like them doesn't mean everyone else does as well. Thing is I have never even considered buying them as parts packs either, as I often do with other sets I don't particularly care for.

For me it depends on the helmet and the execution. Lego models have a certain charm to them, and the building experience adds to it. This isn't true for me for the nes and atari sets and they don't seem interesting in anyway, despite being very accurate reproductions. I, myself don't get the call for an attack of the clones arena, as though iconic, its not very interesting as a set. Just a wide open space. Whereas I'd love a yavin 4 conference room despite there not being much in the way of play or story features. It's all horses for courses.

On 1/29/2023 at 11:51 AM, BrickBob Studpants said:

Turns out promobricks contacted him and he showed them watermarked pictures (maybe just design prototypes) from the survey.

A UCS sail barge was one of the 12 sets. BUT promobriks further states that it does not mean that all these sets will be released. First of all, it was just a survey to find out which price the test persons would pay for the sets.

The further state that this leak does not come from their usual sources. So be cautious :laugh:

Edited by Yperio_Bricks

16 minutes ago, Yperio_Bricks said:

Turns out promobricks contacted him and he showed them watermarked pictures (maybe just design prototypes) from the survey.

A UCS sail barge was one of the 12 sets. BUT promobriks further states that it does not mean that all these sets will be released. First of all, it was just a survey to find out which price the test persons would pay for the sets.

The further state that this leak does not come from their usual sources. So be cautious :laugh:

Either this is LEGOs new leak prevention efforts or someone got some good intel. MAY CHAOS TAKE THE LEGO WORLD.  

I’m not assuming anything, but a UCS Sail Barge would be my most wanted Star Wars set ever. 

Between this potentially being a thing and the Lego Rivendell, my wallet is very worried right now. 

Edited by QuiggoldsPegLeg

32 minutes ago, QuiggoldsPegLeg said:

I’m not assuming anything, but a UCS Sail Barge would be my most wanted Star Wars set ever. 

Between this potentially being a thing and the Lego Rivendell, my wallet is very worried right now. 

As a TFOL, I selfishly don’t want any big UCS sets coming out because I cannot afford them and I know that by the time I’ll be able to, they’ll be retired and well above retail

34 minutes ago, QuiggoldsPegLeg said:

A UCS Sail Barge might be the rare time I decide 100% I'm buying a set without even seeing the thing before getting it lol. Geez, this recent flurry of leaks across multiple themes is dizzying. I know - no guarantees for any of it. But if they are true, waiting until 2024 for a lot of them - Sail Barge among them - is going to be agonizing.

Jabba's Sail Barge leaked.

Looks like... Jabba's Sail Barge. It's very accurate, but I don't think it looks interesting as a set that big.

1 hour ago, Yperio_Bricks said:

Any idea what the other sets were? 

6 minutes ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

Looks like... Jabba's Sail Barge. It's very accurate, but I don't think it looks interesting as a set that big.

I saw it too - definitely looks more like a very primitive concept than a finished product so I'm not too concerned. Same with the Barad-Dur leak, which makes sense. I think the original leaker said all he'd seen were concepts.

7 minutes ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

Dang, looks decent. Kinda small but I like it. Hope this is the real deal. 

Wow, that leaked image is… very disappointing. I was hoping for a minifig scale set (à la the UCS Falcon, AT-AT, or Mos Eisley Cantina) with minifigures. This looks like a play scale one with no figs on a stand.