MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2023 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

2 hours ago, omegabadbatch said:

even Boba?

Why would anyone want to buy the Boba mech? He’s definitely going to come in sets down the line, so why waste $20 on a single minifigure and a useless mech build?

10 minutes ago, QuiggoldsPegLeg said:

Why would anyone want to buy the Boba mech? He’s definitely going to come in sets down the line, so why waste $20 on a single minifigure and a useless mech build?

This boba is from episode 5. What episode 5 set could be made with him?

8 minutes ago, omegabadbatch said:

Yet another copy of his starship

Im estimating we'll see the September sets leak soon...mid-June, if not early July, official images around mid-July.

Edited by Fulcrumfan91

4 minutes ago, Fulcrumfan91 said:

Yet another copy of his starship

Im estimating we'll see the September sets leak soon...mid-June, if not early July, official images around mid-July.

Assuming the same standoff, then early-July makes sense. Whatr would've been great is LEGO Con reveal of actual new stuff (September sets and Venator). But we all know how that would have turned out...

16 $ for mech with 1 minifigure is not great deal. But its boba from OT with arm printing. Boba from ot was not made since 2019.

Edited by omegabadbatch

13 minutes ago, McMurder_them_softly said:

Assuming the same standoff, then early-July makes sense. Whatr would've been great is LEGO Con reveal of actual new stuff (September sets and Venator). But we all know how that would have turned out...

Agree with your statement, Im not sure why we're waiting this long for those sets, but what do you mean?? Lol sorry not sure what you were referring to in that last bit.

6 hours ago, Kaijumeister said:

The 332nd Battle Pack is nice enough, but strikes me as wholly unnecessary given the deluge of 501st content we’ve received lately. It’s quite disgusting that Lego genuinely were going to price it even higher before backtracking, but I’m glad someone making these decisions had enough sense. Really though, a small 332nd vs Mauldolorians set with Rex would’ve been much better than this.

They actually have raised the price here in the UK. The current 501st Battlepack and Snow Trooper Battlepacks are £17.99, the 332nd one is listed as £18.99 on the lego website.

On 5/31/2023 at 12:19 AM, ArrowBricks said:

Surprisingly, though, and I completely will take the slander, I will be purchasing the mechs.  

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

I'm glad everyone likes the advent Calendar so much, and I figured I'd see how it compared to the averages I calculated in my spreadsheet earlier this year. The counts in terms of figs, microbuilds, etc are actually average, as is the number of new prints. However, I think it's not so much how many figs/builds as what they are. This is the first time in awhile we've had CANON figure scaled builds in an advent calendar (ewok glider, palpatine's throne, STAP), and those 5 figures include some very desirable ones (212th trooper, endor leia, and Omega as previously mentioned). We're also continuing to get a gonk every year, which is great.

1 minute ago, Hhalcyon said:

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

This is the only correct response. The mechs are overpriced and worse than the microfighters in every conceivable way.

4 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I'm glad everyone likes the advent Calendar so much, and I figured I'd see how it compared to the averages I calculated in my spreadsheet earlier this year. The counts in terms of figs, microbuilds, etc are actually average, as is the number of new prints. However, I think it's not so much how many figs/builds as what they are. This is the first time in awhile we've had CANON figure scaled builds in an advent calendar (ewok glider, palpatine's throne, STAP), and those 5 figures include some very desirable ones (212th trooper, endor leia, and Omega as previously mentioned). We're also continuing to get a gonk every year, which is great.

Has the advent calender ever hinted at future sets? The lil baby Turbo Tank and Hailfire Droid give me a faint hope.

8 minutes ago, Hhalcyon said:

They actually have raised the price here in the UK. The current 501st Battlepack and Snow Trooper Battlepacks are £17.99, the 332nd one is listed as £18.99 on the lego website.

Ugh, guess I spoke too soon.

@Fulcrumfan91 Yeah, delaying the good sets until September is confusing, but I guess I can understand given that most of the September sets are of the >$100 variety, so they wanted to stagger the summer lineup a bit.

Edited by Kaijumeister

1 hour ago, Fulcrumfan91 said:

Agree with your statement, Im not sure why we're waiting this long for those sets, but what do you mean?? Lol sorry not sure what you were referring to in that last bit.

LEGO Con from the last 2 years. I feel they botched the Star Wars reveals both times. So if we had one this year, I would hope for September set reveals but I feel like given what happened in the past, that would have been another misstep in my opinion. 

1 hour ago, Kaijumeister said:

@Fulcrumfan91 Yeah, delaying the good sets until September is confusing, but I guess I can understand given that most of the September sets are of the >$100 variety, so they wanted to stagger the summer lineup a bit.

Probably me waffling, but perhaps this will encourage people to spend their money for August on these sets…

3 hours ago, omegabadbatch said:

This boba is ALSO from Episode 6. He could be in a Sail Barge, a Throne Room Diorama and a Skiff. Also they could put him in a Slave I. We've had a new slave I every time the last one retired for the past few years now. So a 2024 Slave I is actually pretty likely. Also they can do something with Bespin, or a super star destroyer bridge diorama with Bossk, Vader, Dengar and 4Lom. (all from ep5)

My point is, Boba Fett can appear in a lot of sets. He's arguably top 3 most beloved star wars characters in history. They can fit him in.

My other point would be: they rarely make a brand new figure just to put it in a $16 set. I'd put money on that rumored throne room and sail barge being made with him in mind but it fell through or was delayed and we got the mech now. When they DO do a new figure for a cheap set like Vaughn or the Snow Scout Trooper, it's usually just a subtle variation of an existing figure. This would not be that. It's a whole new Boba Design.

11 minutes ago, Hhalcyon said:

This boba is ALSO from Episode 6. He could be in a Sail Barge, a Throne Room Diorama and a Skiff.

In RotJ he had a gray suit and dark red gauntlets.

3 hours ago, Hhalcyon said:

Has the advent calender ever hinted at future sets? The lil baby Turbo Tank and Hailfire Droid give me a faint hope.

No, it's more of the reverse. It's generally a mix of stuff we recently got (and/or stuff prevalent in the culture at the time, such as anniversaries or new products) and just absolutely random stuff. 

I'd love a new, larger hailfire though. The 2015 one was too small. (That said, I don't get the turbo tank hype. We've had 3, I'd rather have a new venator, or even something like a frigate, SPHAT, or acclamator.)

19 minutes ago, danth said:

The back of the Stormy mech doesn't look good:

Good god man at least the marvel mechs (or the ones I have at least) TRIED to do some detailing on the back. That looks horrendous. And if I'm not wrong, that LBG mess is one piece? Why are we juniorizing the mechs? They looked fine back when they were $10!

4 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

This is the only correct response. The mechs are overpriced and worse than the microfighters in every conceivable way.

Willing to stick my neck out over the mechs but I actually really like the idea of Star Wars mechs, especially for big already over-the-top villains like Vader. They wouldn't fit in most films or series, obviously, but I'm going to unleash my inner 9 year old and make the most anime-esque Star Wars set up I can with ridiculous weapons and the Vader mech. Sometimes I just like to throw everything at the wall display-wise and just have fun with it :laugh:

Also as someone who normally is very picky about everything I have being minifigure-scale, I prefer an oversized mech to an undersized vehicle with the microfighters - I wouldn't want to put them with the rest of my Star Wars stuff just as a personal preference. So in my book Mechs > Microfighters or planets :tongue:

4 hours ago, Kaijumeister said:

Yeah, delaying the good sets until September is confusing, but I guess I can understand given that most of the September sets are of the >$100 variety, so they wanted to stagger the summer lineup a bit.

The only reason I could think is the Ahsoka show....but....honestly there are literally no spoilers for the show in these sets if their descriptions are accurate so far and so far the other sets have been accurate (seriously, I'm not joking, they're TIE vs FF level "spoilery" as in...not at all, we've seen all of that stuff in the trailer) sooooo idk to me...it's strange. But I think the reveals will happen before the show comes out. We'll at the very least see one more trailer before it debuts.

1 hour ago, danth said:

The back of the Stormy mech doesn't look good:

What about the other two? Yeah this looks bad

1 hour ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Good god man at least the marvel mechs (or the ones I have at least) TRIED to do some detailing on the back. That looks horrendous. And if I'm not wrong, that LBG mess is one piece? Why are we juniorizing the mechs? They looked fine back when they were $10!

Yeah...I was willing to forgive the new less articulated arm/leg pieces, and the price increase, but that back is horrendous. Especially for Storm Troopers who have little backpacks built in to their armor! You'd think they would do some kind of backpack on the mech.

tOvt2.jpg

2 hours ago, Fulcrumfan91 said:

What about the other two?

Other two seem fine. Fett has a jet pack. You can see the backs in the 3D view on Lego's website.

Peculiarly, the sets don't seem to be on the Australian site. I can find them on the US site, though. Getting to them through there and changing the url to the Aus site gives a 404 error. Not sure about other regions' sites.

7 hours ago, omegabadbatch said:

16 $ for mech with 1 minifigure is not great deal. But it’s boba from OT with arm printing. Boba from ot was not made since 2019.

The minifig doesn’t even come with a cape. And sure, it might be a couple years until we get another ESB Boba, but we definitely will get one. And he’ll also be included with arm printing in every set he appears in from now on, which will happen many times over the coming years.

It’s the same reason I’m not worried about paying a ridiculous amount of money for the C-3PO with the dual-moulded leg from Luke’s Landspeeder, because I know it’s only a matter of time before that becomes the norm in all the sets he appears in. And since he’s C-3PO, he’ll be appearing in lots of sets.

7 hours ago, Kaijumeister said:

Ugh, guess I spoke too soon.

I mean it makes sense for the Ahsoka sets, since they want to release/reveal them after the episodes they were based on are released. Although it is weird that the Gunship is seemingly a September release.

5 hours ago, Darth Shadowthrone said:

Willing to stick my neck out over the mechs but I actually really like the idea of Star Wars mechs, especially for big already over-the-top villains like Vader. They wouldn't fit in most films or series, obviously, but I'm going to unleash my inner 9 year old and make the most anime-esque Star Wars set up I can with ridiculous weapons and the Vader mech. Sometimes I just like to throw everything at the wall display-wise and just have fun with it :laugh:

Also as someone who normally is very picky about everything I have being minifigure-scale, I prefer an oversized mech to an undersized vehicle with the microfighters - I wouldn't want to put them with the rest of my Star Wars stuff just as a personal preference. So in my book Mechs > Microfighters or planets :tongue:

The scale is a valid complaint, but wouldn't a bigger issue than scale be the builds being completely non-canon and out of the SW aesthetic?

Now I'd prefer fig-scaled and canon stuff as well (And at $17, I feel like they could definately make canon stuff, probably with 2-3 figs as well. Look at the guardians headquarters for only $10.), but if it's between non-canon mechs and microfighters that, while out of scale, are at least representations of canon vehicles, I'll choose the microfighters every day.

5 hours ago, danth said:

Yeah...I was willing to forgive the new less articulated arm/leg pieces, and the price increase, but that back is horrendous. Especially for Storm Troopers who have little backpacks built in to their armor! You'd think they would do some kind of backpack on the mech.

For $7 more than the $10 marvel mechs we had in 2022, they could at least put a couple pieces on the back for that. It's kind of ironic, as the CCBS SW figures were known for actually having solid back coverage/detailing unlike the bionicles and hero factory figures of the time.

Edited by Mandalorianknight

10 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I'd love a new, larger hailfire though. The 2015 one was too small. (That said, I don't get the turbo tank hype. We've had 3, I'd rather have a new venator, or even something like a frigate, SPHAT, or acclamator.)

"we've had 3" yes and many of us were 6 years old, 9 years old and 15 years old at the time of the 3 turbo tanks we've had and as such didn't have hundreds of dollars to buy one (or several). I *could* buy one of the old ones for like $400, I *could* part out an older one for like $100.

But then what do I do when they inevitably make one as up to as early as 2024, Spend a further, let's be real, $150 on one just because i didn't have the patience to wait for the next one? And then what happens when I wanna buy a second of the new one. I've spent like $700 on turbo tanks and one of them is a decade old. The most expensive spare parts i'd ever buy.

This isn't a one-off set like the inferno squad battlepack, it'll happen again so I'm absolutely not buying a retired one. Also we ARE getting a UCS venator (well, we're like 90% sure) which I would imagine is definitely the ultimate version of that set no?

12 hours ago, Hhalcyon said:

This boba is ALSO from Episode 6. He could be in a Sail Barge, a Throne Room Diorama and a Skiff. 

He is not from Episode 6. I would like the set a lot more if it was RotJ Boba. 

We've actually only ever had one proper RotJ Boba, in the 2017 Skiff, and I was hoping this mech would have a new version of that one, with added arm printing (especially since it's the RotJ anniversary). As it is, this mech is pointless for people who already have the UCS Slave 1 or Betrayal at Cloud City versions of Boba (and he doesn't even have his cape).

I know those Boba figures are expensive so it's good for kids and casual collectors to get him but if they'd made the RotJ version it'd still be a great figure for people who just want a detailed Boba while also being good for people who want them to finally release a fully-detailed RotJ version.