MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2023 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

6 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Look, of course lego is going to make 4+ sets. At least this one is based on new, 4+ oriented content, right?

I get what you're saying, but we are going to have 4+ sets. It's like being upset that we don't have more 18+ sets instead of system sets.

There never used to be. More so, these 4+ sets were introduced and have existed without 4+ content E.g., Snowspeeder, AT-ST etc etc. But, I get your point. 

It’s similar, but not the same. The quality gap is significantly closer, as is the fairness of the price when it comes to system and 18+. 

9 hours ago, Fulcrumfan91 said:

Last year they revealed some sets during Celly and then...iirc, basically the whole summer wave got revealed on the same day or a few days later....not sure if that'll happen again this year mind you, but there's hope!!!

Ah, thanks. 

Regarding the dioramas, I was hoping for them to be interesting enough to justify the price. Unfortunately the emperor's throne room looks quite dull compared with its playset counterparts. I also don't like Luke's hairpiece... I get that the classic minifig hairpiece looks a bit out of place considering the vast amount of different specialized hairpieces we have nowadays (which I dislike... but that's a topic for another time), but this hairpiece somehow looks worse than the original one. I like the window build though. The Endor diorama also has big issues but those have been summed up by other users quite nicely already.

And the 4+ set... yeah, I'm not the target audience anyway (even though technically I'm 4+), but it looks like a Duplo set somehow got itself transformed into a System set. And maybe it's just me but I was under the impression that I didn't need such large parts to build something from the instructions when I was four years old. I would have loved for the  4+ range to only use more simple building techniques (i.e. no SNOT techniques) instead of adding those big specialized parts. And the minifigs... Oh well.

So yeah, no chance that I'll add a diorama or 4+ set to my collection any time soon.

9 hours ago, Fulcrumfan91 said:

Last year they revealed some sets during Celly and then...iirc, basically the whole summer wave got revealed on the same day or a few days later....not sure if that'll happen again this year mind you, but there's hope!!!

Maybe not, the summer wave was revealed at lego con 22 (june from what i remember), and also correct me if im wrong but, wasn't last celebration in may? So that's pretty close to summer time, april is too early.

Edited by Goofster

1 hour ago, Goofster said:

Maybe not, the summer wave was revealed at lego con 22 (june from what i remember), and also correct me if im wrong but, wasn't last celebration in may? So that's pretty close to summer time, april is too early.

No Legocon this year, so this will most likely be the best bet to get the waves previewed. 

5 minutes ago, Darth Malgus said:

No Legocon this year, so this will most likely be the best bet to get the waves previewed. 

Great point. Or they just get leaked and not revealed until they put in on site. 

1 hour ago, Goofster said:

Celly was May, yes, and some images were revealed in May not June. Others were later officially revealed in June.

https://brickset.com/article/77226/two-star-wars-sets-unveiled!

https://brickset.com/article/77274/two-more-summer-star-wars-sets-revealed!

Seems like we could see some Ahsoka stuff possibly if this pattern repeats itself this time around.

11 hours ago, Sneakguest said:

After seeing the latest Mandalorian episode

Hide contents

I wish they would have done the main pirate ship, more than anything else I have seen in the series so far, but I understand that probably lego would not like to take a chance with making a 1500 pieces build on something that just appeared in two episodes. 

I mean there’s still a decent chance we get it a year or two from now like we did with Moff Gideon’s cruiser. Since the Mandalorian seems to be the only show Lego cares about making sets on after the show has already released.

Review is up for Endor Speeder diorama. Sometimes I wonder what LEGO thinks when reviews happen before sets are even revealed...

NOTE: This is not an endorsement of M&R either way. Just the best look I could find so far. 

6 hours ago, McMurder_them_softly said:

Review is up for Endor Speeder diorama. Sometimes I wonder what LEGO thinks when reviews happen before sets are even revealed...

NOTE: This is not an endorsement of M&R either way. Just the best look I could find so far. 

<snip>

Think it was a fair review, for the most part. The figures look so bad. The set is pretty good, however. If the Luke and Leia figures were perfect, I’d pay £69.99 at most for the set. 

Edited by MKJoshA
Don't quote vidoes please

Oof guess my final duel Luke with Endor leis’s cloak will remain as my depiction of this outfit. Luke needed to have dual legs at the bare minimum.

3 minutes ago, ArrowBricks said:

Think it was a fair review, for the most part. The figures look so bad. The set is pretty good, however. If the Luke and Leia figures were perfect, I’d pay £69.99 at most for the set. 

From the front, the figures are fine, but from the sides/back, they're REALLY weak. 

4 minutes ago, ArrowBricks said:

Yeah, the figures are ROUGH. It does look nicer overall than I initially thought. Still going to pass though. 

It looks like a nice display piece, but yeah I can't lie, the price is pretty crazy for this. I don't think the figures are as bad as a lot of ppl say they are (Luke/Leia specifically), but I will say if they had had ponchos, they would've been wayyyy better. My 2 cents. Still skipping cuz frankly I can't afford all of these.

Edited by Fulcrumfan91

My take on 75353 is as follows:

The Good

• The speederbikes looks fantastic. They are an excellent upgrade from those of the past.
  • This version of the scout trooper continues to be just great.

The Bad

• Luke and Leia minifigures could have been way better and more accurate.
  • The trees in the set look terrible. I don't mind them being cut off at the tops because no one would expect a fully scaled tree. But the angular designs are simply bad.
  • The cost. $80 for this? No thanks!

Overall, I have to skip this set.
I'm not a completist and need to pick and choose what I have room for.
I have a few of these diorama and anniversary sets (ESB) already. But this one is just too expensive and too inaccurate for me to justify a purchase.
I would have considered it at $50.

I think the set has a solid display look overall, and a lot of the details (bikes, foliage, etc.) are nice. I certainly like the figures more than some people do, but if the asking price is gonna be this high, I can't accept any corners being cut. This would be a bit pricey at $60, but $80 is just absurd.

'Figures that look like a twelve year old took Sharpie too them.' (M&R Productions) :head_back: 

Lol he's not wrong, especially for Luke. The figures don't even look good from the front to me with Luke's black swathes of printing and Leia's olive green boots, let alone the sides and back. Sorry, but 'Chasing the details' is hilarious; they really do lead themselves into criticism.

3 minutes ago, BacktoBricks said:

Lol he's not wrong, especially for Luke. The figures don't even look good from the front to me with Luke's black swathes of printing and Leia's olive green boots, let alone the sides and back. Sorry, but 'Chasing the details' is hilarious; they really do lead themselves into criticism.

I just don’t get who’s approving these decisions.

No way have they looked at those figures and said they’re the best we can do. Is it laziness? Profits come first? Both? Something else? 

The fact it’s their precious OT makes it worse, haha. 

Edited by ArrowBricks

6 minutes ago, ArrowBricks said:

I just don’t get who’s approving these decisions.

No way have they looked at those figures and said they’re the best we can do.

The fact it’s their precious OT makes it worse, haha. 

Me neither, but the fact is, if this is the best they can do then I am not supporting it. Seems like they can't see the wood for the trees as the saying goes. :sceptic:

Speaking of trees, they look like they've been struck by lightning. Maybe the Emperor wasn't happy with the minifigures either.

Edited by BacktoBricks

3 minutes ago, BacktoBricks said:

Me neither, but the fact is, if this is the best they can do then I am not supporting it. Seems like they can't see the wood for the trees as the saying goes. :sceptic:

Yeah I won’t support it either. These days I’ve got to really enjoy the content depicted as well as feel Lego have produced the best set (or close to near enough) as possible. If not, but it is significantly cheaper than I think it should be I’d go for it. 

I am almost certain this is not the best they can do, nor they think it’s the best they can do either. Whilst the team got it more right than not back in the day, and now today it probably evens out, it’s not the best. 

Edited by ArrowBricks

5 minutes ago, ArrowBricks said:

Profits come first?

Bingo. Betting the higher ups have been doing the usual of stunting designers' creativity by giving them constraints...in order to build profits. Cuz really, the prices increasing do not make sense. Could also be a quality control issue.

I don’t understand why they couldn’t have just given Luke black legs and arms and Leia sand blue legs. Sure it wouldn’t be as good as dual-moulding, but it would certainly be a lot better than the ones in the set, and wouldn’t cost anything extra.

3 minutes ago, Fulcrumfan91 said:

Bingo. Betting the higher ups have been doing the usual of stunting designers' creativity by giving them constraints...in order to build profits. Cuz really, the prices increasing do not make sense. Could also be a quality control issue.

Yeah the designers have proven in the past, less so the recent past, they can create and release top quality products that even AFOL’s are all over them. 

3 minutes ago, Hhalcyon said:

I am once again reminded that I want that scout trooper in a battlepack (with black arms)

there will be books with him in my country in 2 weeks for 4-5 euro. In UK too but I dont know when

link