MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2023 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

2 hours ago, Vitruvius said:

Dioramas like those from Jurassic Park or BAck to the future would be amazing...

Boy do I have news for you....

(It's jurassic park. They did a diorama like this for Jurassic park last year.)

3 minutes ago, McMurder_them_softly said:

Certainly possible. However, they were also located on the far side of the diorama, it would be odd to not have the royal guards visible. Would love to be wrong though! 

Not to mention it's not like they were sitting on the exterior of the death star, so it doesn't really make sense for them to be situated behind that window.

1 hour ago, Archer said:

I don't really see anyone as excited as i am that we are getting an updated 1999 fig! 

I am! I was only thinking the other day he was probably going to be a boring repeat of the same minifigure and that his episode 6 variations were going to have that awful wig piece for eternity .. And then this. :excited: Doesn't quite make up for the fact that Royal Guards flanking the front of the diorama would have really made it something special and worth the price, but it is certainly a welcome improvement. 

Edited by BacktoBricks

To be completely honest, it would be inaccurate to add them here, they're guarding the front / back of the throne room, not where the throne is, this part is where Luke tries to strike Palpatine but Vader defends the Emperor with his lightsaber.

3 minutes ago, Goofster said:

To be completely honest, it would be inaccurate to add them here, they're guarding the front / back of the throne room, not where the throne is, this part is where Luke tries to strike Palpatine but Vader defends the Emperor with his lightsaber.

r2d2 and c3p0 are inaccurate too in trash compactor diorama. They were not behind the trash compactor. They were on level where was millenium falcon I think.

Do you think it will include the lightnings accessories of the emperor ? Maybe a robe piece with slop for him like for Elrond and Gandalf in the Rivendell set ?

I really like the throne room and will probably pick it up at the opportunity, even though I have the previous throne room playset

Endor chase feels lacking in foliage detail to me and doesn't look nearly as good as throne room 

10 minutes ago, omegabadbatch said:

r2d2 and c3p0 are inaccurate too in trash compactor diorama. They were not behind the trash compactor. They were on level where was millenium falcon I think.

It was a part of the scene, and also because they could add them, the Royal Guards weren't really part of the fight but more rather just background characters at the start.

this set represents the iconic throne, not the throne room itself in entirety.

Don't really care about the Endor diorama but wow the Final Duel looks so great, it might actually be the first diorama I end up getting. My biggest problem with it (as seems to be the case for everyone else) is that it just seems way too expensive. Even when you factor in inflation and Star Wars tax, it's obvious that the black base is eating up a ton of parts that are really not necessary. If it goes on sale for a reasonable price then I will likely end up buying it, but this year is already going to be pretty expensive for me so it feels difficult to justify at full price.

1 hour ago, omegabadbatch said:

luke and leia have ponchos in endor diorama? or ponchos are printed?

Hard to say since the picture is so blurry.

My guess would be that those are printed so it's easier to display them while they're sitting.

I hope this question gets noticed in this onslaught of comments: do I understand correctly that there's another 1000+ pcs set rumoured apart from 75354? I read something about a possible Amazon exclusive a few pages back, but I'm not going to sift through all those comments to find the source.

Pictures of the back of the boxes on instagram as of a few mins ago. 

As if you thought the Endor diorama couldn't be worse, wait til you see these.

Throne room is still cool but the price is killing it. Also looks like Palpatine has no pupils too. 

Edit: Luke should have come with another face of him in agony or something. Him laying their getting lightening'd to death by palps like 😐 is kinda hilarious tho.

Edited by EvanHnuel

1 hour ago, Big_Daddy said:

I hope this question gets noticed in this onslaught of comments: do I understand correctly that there's another 1000+ pcs set rumoured apart from 75354? I read something about a possible Amazon exclusive a few pages back, but I'm not going to sift through all those comments to find the source.

I think 75364 is also 1000+pcs rumored. Rumored to be attached to Ahsoka. 

Edited by McMurder_them_softly

It's a shame, because I like the look of both of these sets; would be an easy buy if they were cheaper. But lmao, if you sold these without the black bases they'd be like $40 playsets.

I love Endor, but $80 for 3 figs on 2 simple bikes plus some foliage? Simply absurd pricing 😂

It's a huge downgrade even when compared to the 2002 versions. It's the 2016 Death Star all over again. It's a worse update with the benefit of a new hair piece.

22 minutes ago, Jenga Fett1 said:

It's a huge downgrade even when compared to the 2002 versions. It's the 2016 Death Star all over again. It's a worse update with the benefit of a new hair piece.

Lmao is this a joke?

8 hours ago, Vitruvius said:

Dioramas like those from Jurassic Park or BAck to the future would be amazing...

If they have actual molded dinosaurs I would take them, brick built Dino’s suuuuck. Specially for me since I’m a paleonerd

1 hour ago, Big_Daddy said:

There’s 75357 with 1394 pieces which I predict to be a gunship

8 hours ago, Goofster said:

If they re-release Thrawn this year, he'll have the brighter skin tone from skywalker saga right?

Is his skin tone in the game really that different from the existing Lego figure? His plaque is still inaccurate in that game too, so I wouldn’t take his character model as an indication one way or the other. Ezra on the other hand probably will have the nougat skin color they give him in the game, as his previous figure looked very white-washed and the game developers designed that Season Three model from scratch unlike Thrawn, who just uses the physical design we did get.

Regardless though, I’m still 50/50 on whether we’ll actually get updated versions of those characters this year. I could definitely see Lego saving them for a spoilery Ahsoka set in 2024.

As for these new diorama sets, I like them a lot but at the same time, they don’t blow me away and the prices make me roll my eyes yet again.

75352 was one of the Star Wars sets I was least looking forward to this year. This scene is a bit oversaturated in Lego form (three models of it in eight years versus only one $20 set of the Mustafar duel for example) and the 2015 set was actually one of my first Star Wars sets ever. That being said, this model looks fantastic. The detailing around the window and of the throne itself is very impressive. I really like the ROTJ 40 plaque as well. I’m so happy to finally see ROTJ Luke get an updated hairpiece instead of that same outdated male one. I like the updated Palpatine a lot too. Now, that face reminds me a lot of TSS in-game version.

75353, on the other hand, initially interested me a lot more than another Death Star Final Duel remake but the finished model really underwhelms me. First off is that the Luke figure looks so odd with tan printing instead of just giving him a poncho over the same torso and legs from the other set. I can’t tell if Leia has a poncho or not but I expect that figure to be underwhelming too. Aside from cost-cutting, I don’t know why Lego has gone backwards for detailing on a lot of these figures. For example, they stopped distinguishing X-Wing and Snowspeeder jump suits, they update and replace molds that really don’t need updating (cough, Iron Man helmet, cough) and they seem really wary of using any cloth accessories besides capes. 

The model itself looks so sparse with only two trees and two speeder bikes, but at the same time, it also looks so cramped because the base is so small. I saw someone sketch out how the model could look a while ago and their vision would have been so much cooler. The base should’ve been longer with more trees as a backdrop, plus another speeder bike. The start of the chase scene that this set depicts has Luke and Leia chasing two Speeder Bikes, not one. The model still looks good enough as is, but for $80!?

Lego would’ve been better off doing a normal playset for like $30 with just two speeder bikes and a tree. If this were a few years ago, we probably would have gotten just that: just compare the 2018 Yoda’s Hut to the 2022 diorama. Or the new Final Duel diorama that’s the same price as the last two for a smaller model with less figures and less of the throne room itself. 

That’s what gets me about these diorama sets. I love the concept of them because I like getting more detailed location builds but by doing them as this bland 18+ subtheme, they all just feel like too little for too much. It’s just another example of what I dislike about their recent 18+ approach: they are charging more for everything just because they slap that lame branding on there. They include a bunch of pieces for a base to fill up the piece count and throw it all in a simultaneously generic and pretentious black box because god forbid adults want to buy something remotely colorful. I guess I’m wrong though, since a good number of these 18+ sets have generally been successful.

I want to collect all of the Star Wars dioramas, but I refuse to pay full price for any of them. The Trash Compacter is arguably the most egregious one and I got that for half off at the end of last year thanks to my VIP Points. It’s really easy to find the other two 2022 dioramas for significantly cheaper on eBay for some reason, so that’s probably where I’ll shop for those two. I’ll probably do the same thing for these two new dioramas: either save up my VIP points (which will be more difficult because there’s less I want to buy directly from Lego these days) or find a good deal on them elsewhere. It’s especially crazy compared to that new Indiana Jones 18+ diorama. It’s still an expensive set, sure, but it actually feels like you’re getting a reasonable amount of content for the price.

As for the Jabba Throne Room, I hope that’s still coming and I’m less worried about it getting straight-up cancelled than the Temple of Doom, but at this point, it wouldn’t surprise me. I have no idea what Lego’s thought process is most of the time these days.

Edited by The Stud