MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2023 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

10 minutes ago, Goofster said:

Dude, i really doubt they're gonna make another Realistic Bo-Katan just to

Hide contents

change a single detail on the arm print, they already made one with new arm prints, they aren't gonna change it for a REALLY minor detail, at least not for this wave or year.

That's what I was saying... 'If she's not in another set this wave'

46 minutes ago, MKJoshA said:

I respect all you who like the Prequel sets better. But I'm an OT guy myself and would buy OT over Prequel any day. I think you all are spot on when pointing out that the designers are problem more like me and so their love for the OT shows more. But that will change over the next few years I'm sure. And who knows, maybe 20 years from now we'll have people saying they're bigger fans of the Sequels than the Prequels!

In an ideal world, everyone would be getting a good breadth of sets from every era eh? Lego certainly had an easier job of doing that until mid-2015.

Things are rapidly accelerating with new content and I think the LSW team are going to struggle picking things to make as the years go by. Summer 2021 was an extremely Mando-centric wave and even that, I can’t see happening ever again given the cadence of new content we’re getting. Not to mention newcomers to the theme who’ll want their classic ships.

Edited by Kaijumeister

1 hour ago, MKJoshA said:

I respect all you who like the Prequel sets better. But I'm an OT guy myself and would buy OT over Prequel any day. I think you all are spot on when pointing out that the designers are problem more like me and so their love for the OT shows more. But that will change over the next few years I'm sure. And who knows, maybe 20 years from now we'll have people saying they're bigger fans of the Sequels than the Prequels!

There’s nothing wrong with being an OT fan! I think the sets are great, in fact better designed and they feel more complete than any other era, except the first wave of each of the sequel trilogy movies. 

I just think we need a better balance, but striking that balance is becoming especially tricky considering the influx of new content each year. I also tend to find the prequel sets are far less ‘complete’ which is super frustrating. There’s never a perfect set which is highly frustrating because the design team has all the tools and incentives to do exactly that. 

I am almost certain we will see sequel sets return and fans to be happy about that. I think there’s quite a few nice stuff, especially from TROS they omitted. I don’t think the love for those movies will be on the level of the prequels, unless they really expand that universe in a similar way to how The Clone Wars transformed the in-universe period. It seems clear to me that they’re slowly doing exactly that, especially with that Mando s3 episode the other week. 

19 minutes ago, Kaijumeister said:

In an ideal world, everyone would be getting a good breadth of sets from every era eh? Lego certainly had an easier job of doing that until mid-2015.

Things are rapidly accelerating with new content and I think the LSW team are going to struggle picking things to make as the years go by. Summer 2021 was an extremely Mando-centric wave and even that, I can’t see happening ever again given the cadence of new content we’re getting. Not to mention newcomers to the theme who’ll want their classic ships.

I think the Star Wars team are pursuing a strategy of ‘hyper relevance’. They’re looking for sets that either appear directly in new shows, or represent vehicles and ships that crossover so that not only are they appearing in Mando but have been previously seen in other content.

The Kenobi show is a perfect example of this. We got so many sets related to Kenobi as a character (Starfighter, AT-TE, Kenobi show sets). The summer of 2021 was quite similar too with the Duel on Mandalore stuff coinciding with Mando s2 E.g., Bo Katan. 

Personally, I’m not a huge fan of this strategy at all, although it does make sense.

However, what has thrown me off quite a bit is this years summer wave. It all seems a bit too random. No sets really connect with each other. I was convinced we were going to see loads of Ahsoka sets E.g., Interceptor, Gunship etc. 

Edited by ArrowBricks

13 hours ago, Gontron said:

I'm not going to defend the clowns who harassed Lego's social media employees and designers over not getting a battlepack or Clone trooper in a 400$ display model set but I think a lot of this stems from the fact a lot of kids who grew up with TCW now have disposable income and want to get Lego sets of vehicles and scenes they couldn't afford as a kid. It sucks when you wanted a Republic Gunship or AT-OT as a kid but couldn't afford it, however now that you can Lego isn't producing them and the aftermarket has surged them to ludicrous prices (ESPECIALLY minifigures, its absurd how expensive some Clones are). For example, Jango's Slave 1 went from 100$ used with minifigures 5 years ago to close to 400$ now. 

This sums it up perfectly. As a 22 year old now, I'm filling the gaps of the sets and minifigures I couldn't have/get as a kid. I'm sure I'm not the only person in this boat.

I don't know if Lego knows we exist as a consumer segment, but if they did, I'm sure they'd capitalize on it.

15 minutes ago, EvanHnuel said:

This sums it up perfectly. As a 22 year old now, I'm filling the gaps of the sets and minifigures I couldn't have/get as a kid. I'm sure I'm not the only person in this boat.

I don't know if Lego knows we exist as a consumer segment, but if they did, I'm sure they'd capitalize on it.

Omg me too. Same age and everything.

Let me guess, you want a Gunship too?

I have the feeling at least one of the 2 unknown large sets coming out in the fall will be Gorian Shard's Pirate Ship (I think thats his name? The Swamp Thing guy?) As for the other one...not a clue. Could be a Ghost, could be a whole lot of other ships. I think the T-6 might be the big Ahsoka set, but that's a hunch.

I also want a new Rex minifig and minifig-compatible gunship, but for a different reason: so people can finally stop bringing them up :laugh_hard: Then again, the fandom will most likely find another clone commander and / or vehicle to latch onto and complain about endlessly :tongue: 

2 hours ago, MKJoshA said:

And who knows, maybe 20 years from now we'll have people saying they're bigger fans of the Sequels than the Prequels!

Already do chief, reporting for duty.

40 minutes ago, Hhalcyon said:

Omg me too. Same age and everything.

Let me guess, you want a Gunship too?

i was actually lucky enough to get the 2013 one :D

sets I want the most are Jango's slave 1, death star, and a handful of the og clone wars ones

2 hours ago, MKJoshA said:

Can’t see that happening. The sequels were not only critical bombs in the eyes of fans, but their toys don’t sell well, and this isn’t exclusive to Lego. I have a feeling much of this is due to the redundancy of sequel vs OT design (why would the average person want a first order tie fighter or a resistance x wing when they could get the far more iconic OT version?). The other reason, personally, and this is uncomfortable to hear by many, is that the prequels are good.

25 minutes ago, omegabadbatch said:

armorer and paz visla are in every episode of mandalorian. Lego retired set with them last year. Maybe they are in 100$ mando set?

Dude, that set was meant to EXCLUSIVELY have armorer and paz vizsla, we're either not gonna see them ever again or maybe in like 20 years when the mandalorian ended and became nostalgic so lego makes a remake or something...

9 minutes ago, Flawless Cowboy said:

Can’t see that happening. The sequels were not only critical bombs in the eyes of fans, but their toys don’t sell well, and this isn’t exclusive to Lego. I have a feeling much of this is due to the redundancy of sequel vs OT design (why would the average person want a first order tie fighter or a resistance x wing when they could get the far more iconic OT version?). The other reason, personally, and this is uncomfortable to hear by many, is that the prequels are good.

The prequels were critical bombs in the eyes of fans at the time. The kids who grew up with the sequels will like them, and there'll be a whole "guys the sequels are actually really good" like there was with the prequels. Because no, the prequels are not "good", at least not significantly better than the sequels. They have terrible CGI, laughably bad acting and dialogue, etc. As much as people complain that the sequels broke characters like Luke (which don't get me wrong I hate what they did with Luke in TLJ), people complained at the time that they broke characters like Vader and Yoda. The people who grew up with the prequels were just first exposed to those versions and never had those issues. There's nothing wrong with liking the prequels, but this "the prequels are actually really good, but the sequels are terrible" is a bad take IMO.

TLDR: Just like you think the prequels are good, the people who grow up with the sequels will think they are good.

2 minutes ago, Goofster said:

Dude, that set was meant to EXCLUSIVELY have armorer and paz vizsla, we're either not gonna see them ever again or maybe in like 20 years when the mandalorian ended and became nostalgic so lego makes a remake or something...

They are much more important characters than they were in S1 and S2 though. I wouldn't discount seeing them again in a year or two.

Hot take here: none of the star wars films are actually "good", I'd argue the tv shows and now defunct expended universe books are the best we've gotten from the whole franchise. These extra forms of media trumped up the films because they filled in a lot of gaps. Prequels are my personal faves, but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't because Clone Wars helped make them more impactful.

21 minutes ago, Fulcrumfan91 said:

Hot take here: none of the star wars films are actually "good", I'd argue the tv shows and now defunct expended universe books are the best we've gotten from the whole franchise. These extra forms of media trumped up the films because they filled in a lot of gaps. Prequels are my personal faves, but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't because Clone Wars helped make them more impactful.

This is a Lego discussion thread for upcoming sets dude.

4 minutes ago, EvanHnuel said:

This is a Lego discussion thread for upcoming sets dude.

Tell that to everyone else debating the latest films and characters, dude. Thanks.

Not to start a film debate but I love all three sequels films and would welcome more sets, especially play sets with updated figures. And I grew up with the prequels but only really want more clone troopers - there’s no set from the prequels that I really want anymore (the 2013 gunship was the high point for me)

1 hour ago, omegabadbatch said:

armorer and paz visla are in every episode of mandalorian. Lego retired set with them last year. Maybe they are in 100$ mando set?

I was actually quite disappointed when I saw the other week that the set was discontinued. Hopefully at least the Armourer will be included in another set down the line 

2 minutes ago, Darth Shadowthrone said:

Not to start a film debate but I love all three sequels films and would welcome more sets, especially play sets with updated figures. And I grew up with the prequels but only really want more clone troopers - there’s no set from the prequels that I really want anymore (the 2013 gunship was the high point for me)

I was actually quite disappointed when I saw the other week that the set was discontinued. Hopefully at least the Armourer will be included in another set down the line 

Same, I'd wanna see more new stuff, that's why I'm looking forward to the Ahsoka sets and new Mando stuff!

7 hours ago, omegabadbatch said:

I hope bo katan will not be in another set beacuse I bought spider tank for her

I mean you can always cancel the pre-order if she shows up in the Interceptor vs. Fang Fighter set. 

8 hours ago, omegabadbatch said:

I hope bo katan will not be in another set beacuse I bought spider tank for her

You should not pre-order. Two months after release it will be $38.

35 minutes ago, Fulcrumfan91 said:

Tell that to everyone else debating the latest films and characters, dude. Thanks.

eh sorry to single you out yours was just the first i saw

4 hours ago, ArrowBricks said:

There’s nothing wrong with being an OT fan! I think the sets are great, in fact better designed and they feel more complete than any other era, except the first wave of each of the sequel trilogy movies. 

I just think we need a better balance, but striking that balance is becoming especially tricky considering the influx of new content each year. I also tend to find the prequel sets are far less ‘complete’ which is super frustrating. There’s never a perfect set which is highly frustrating because the design team has all the tools and incentives to do exactly that. 

I am almost certain we will see sequel sets return and fans to be happy about that. I think there’s quite a few nice stuff, especially from TROS they omitted. I don’t think the love for those movies will be on the level of the prequels, unless they really expand that universe in a similar way to how The Clone Wars transformed the in-universe period. It seems clear to me that they’re slowly doing exactly that, especially with that Mando s3 episode the other week. 

I think the Star Wars team are pursuing a strategy of ‘hyper relevance’. They’re looking for sets that either appear directly in new shows, or represent vehicles and ships that crossover so that not only are they appearing in Mando but have been previously seen in other content.

The Kenobi show is a perfect example of this. We got so many sets related to Kenobi as a character (Starfighter, AT-TE, Kenobi show sets). The summer of 2021 was quite similar too with the Duel on Mandalore stuff coinciding with Mando s2 E.g., Bo Katan. 

Personally, I’m not a huge fan of this strategy at all, although it does make sense.

However, what has thrown me off quite a bit is this years summer wave. It all seems a bit too random. No sets really connect with each other. I was convinced we were going to see loads of Ahsoka sets E.g., Interceptor, Gunship etc. 

It’s really odd that they’re doing a worse job at blended wave this year than in 2021/2022. Like this year we should be getting an Ahsoka interceptor to both give TCW fans something new and tie in with the Ahsoka show yet instead we’re getting a pointless Yoda remake 😐 like why don’t we have any Bad Batch sets? A Bad Batch V-Wing with Shock Troopers,and P2 whites would tie in with Mando and Bad Batch. A Gunship remake based on Mando would tie in with TCW/CW/Bad Batch as well as mando of course yet likely not happening.

2 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

I also want a new Rex minifig and minifig-compatible gunship, but for a different reason: so people can finally stop bringing them up :laugh_hard: Then again, the fandom will most likely find another clone commander and / or vehicle to latch onto and complain about endlessly :tongue: 

It's not the same though, Rex more than any other clone (ignoring the bad batch....) Is a lead character, hell the finale series of the clone wars had 4 Rex episodes, 4 Ahsoka episodes and 4 with both of them. It'd be like if they made Return of the jedi sets but excluded Han entirely.

1 hour ago, Mandalorianknight said:

The prequels were critical bombs in the eyes of fans at the time. The kids who grew up with the sequels will like them, and there'll be a whole "guys the sequels are actually really good" like there was with the prequels. Because no, the prequels are not "good", at least not significantly better than the sequels. They have terrible CGI, laughably bad acting and dialogue, etc. As much as people complain that the sequels broke characters like Luke (which don't get me wrong I hate what they did with Luke in TLJ), people complained at the time that they broke characters like Vader and Yoda. The people who grew up with the prequels were just first exposed to those versions and never had those issues. There's nothing wrong with liking the prequels, but this "the prequels are actually really good, but the sequels are terrible" is a bad take IMO.

TLDR: Just like you think the prequels are good, the people who grow up with the sequels will think they are good.

They are much more important characters than they were in S1 and S2 though. I wouldn't discount seeing them again in a year or two.

Counter to the point I'm about to make but I think the sequels self contradiction is going to reduce thier ability to age gracefully. Episode 9 feels very much like a course correction of episode 8, whilst the prequels are in and of themselves a more cohesive tale.

1 hour ago, Fulcrumfan91 said:

Hot take here: none of the star wars films are actually "good", I'd argue the tv shows and now defunct expended universe books are the best we've gotten from the whole franchise. These extra forms of media trumped up the films because they filled in a lot of gaps.

What is good? No seriously if think they're not good but yet you enjoy them,what parameters are you using to define good? What scale do you use to measure the intrinsic quality of a story? Perhaps my hot take is that beyond defining my only personal tastes that to say a film is good or not is too sweeping a statement except in the most extreme cases, films may be products but are they not also art? Is thier beauty and thus Thier quality not in the eye of the beholder? 

But overall I do agree that star wars is better suited to TV.

6 minutes ago, Agent Kallus said:

It's not the same though, Rex more than any other clone (ignoring the bad batch....) Is a lead character, hell the finale series of the clone wars had 4 Rex episodes, 4 Ahsoka episodes and 4 with both of them. It'd be like if they made Return of the jedi sets but excluded Han entirely.

I was going to comment the same thing. Relative to how popular and important he has been in recent Star Wars media it's honestly shocking we haven't already gotten a new version of him. I'm sure there will be requests for other notable clones after we get Rex, but the demand for him feels very justified to me when you consider that he's one of the only recent main characters we haven't gotten in minifigure form.

23 minutes ago, Agent Kallus said:

Or like a wave of guardians sets without the main villain. Oh, wait. That's happened twice. 

Jokes aside I totally agree. Rex is a fairly major character outside the films, and he should be in a set soon. 

23 minutes ago, Agent Kallus said:

Counter to the point I'm about to make but I think the sequels self contradiction is going to reduce thier ability to age gracefully. Episode 9 feels very much like a course correction of episode 8, whilst the prequels are in and of themselves a more cohesive tale.

Even that isn't necessarily true. Lots of AOTC was in response to TPM's reception, including, thankfully, the relative lack of Jar Jar. IIRC, the plan for the villains throughout the trilogy also sort of changed on the fly, which I feel does show upon a rewatch.  The clone wars series really served to fix a lot of the weirder parts of the prequels, as I'm sure will be done for the sequels.

EDIT: I just realized that you can draw some direct connections. Ep 9 did to rose what Eps 2 and 3 did to Jar Jar (not to say Rose is anywhere near as awful as Jar Jar). The sequels also have a weird villain thing where seemingly prominent villains are killed off earlier in the trilogy leading to new ones popping up from nowhere (which, at least for the prequels it was the apprentices, and not the master, which is not nearly as bad).

Edited by Mandalorianknight