MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2023 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

4 minutes ago, Jenga Fett1 said:

There is already a LAAT/i on shelves. Far fewer people would get the UCS version if a much cheaper one is available. I know UCS sets and regular sets have been on shelves at the same time a bunch but I would not imagine that the AT-AT sets and Millennium Falcon sets are having much competition between editions.

The UCS X-Wing is coming out in May yet a 50 dollar X-Wing is also still for sale. 

The rumor for a gunship is currently false but making a gunship based on that mando episode just makes sense IMO. It’d be both a Prequel Era Set and Mando Era set. Would come with army building figures and a brand new Jedi+a remake of the BARC Speeder with SideCar (which is also a 400 dollar set on the after market) 

3 minutes ago, Jenga Fett1 said:

Keep in mind that people buying UCS Prequel sets are in fact a smaller amount of people. Most adult collectors are going to be buying OT and Mando stuff.

Most people buying UCS sets are going to be older fans in general simply due to cost, rather than source material. Play sets are more affordable, and generally have simplistic designs catered towards younger audiences. I’d wager most adults would prefer a UCS gunship even if it’s not minifig scale because any playscale gunship will look vastly inferior to the UCS version, hampered by play functions and more primitive building techniques. 

26 minutes ago, EvanHnuel said:

In terms of Swamp Speeder, there's nothing at all backing the Luminara+Rex rumor other than just wishful thinking atm right?

One of the r/legoleaks mods mentioned that those were two of the figures they’d heard as possibly coming in the set, but other than that, there hasn’t really been much evidence one way or the other.

I could honestly kinda see Lego basing a new Gunship off this flashback but I don’t see it as likely. I think just getting a new BARC Speeder with Sidecar on its own is far more likely.

Whatever this Amazon Exclusive ends up being, I’m excited to see it. The Amazon Exclusive Star Wars sets have had a good track record with Vader’s Castle and the Razor Crest. Like I’ve said previously, I think anything’s on the table for this set and the 1080 piece set. Wasn’t someone suggesting that we’d be getting a rebel capital ship this year, like Home One? Or was that speculation about what ended up being Yavin IV?

Edited by The Stud

24 minutes ago, Jenga Fett1 said:

If anything I would not expect a LAAT/i until next year when the UCS set is off shelves.

This logic doesn't hold. Currently both UCS and playscale AT-ATs, Falcons, and Razor Crests on shelves now as well as X-Wing on the way.

19 minutes ago, The Stud said:

One of the r/legoleaks mods mentioned that those were two of the figures they’d heard as possibly coming in the set, but other than that, there hasn’t really been much evidence one way or the other.

I would actually say that's pretty solid. Still merely a rumor but those mods are always right on point. That's hype!

To be fair, the UCS gunship is said to retire by the end of this year, so releasing a new playscale one in September wouldn't be crazy from that perspective. I still think it's unlikely, but not because it clashes with its bigger counterpart.

Yeah I never understood the argument behind how UCS sets being on shelves restricts the possibility of system-scale equivalents concurrently being on the market. The past few years (this one included) have proven the contrary.

I’m starting to think it’s quite possible the smaller Ahsoka set (75362 - 599 pieces) could indeed be the T6 Shuttle. Surprisingly the one released in 2011 is pretty hefty, yet contains only 389 pieces. Of course builds have gotten far more intricate in the past 12 years, but most of the ship’s bulk is along the central fuselage and cockpit - otherwise the massive wingspan probably doesn’t require too many small pieces. Conversely, ships like the Scythe have tiny wings but the main body is quite large, hence the higher piece count.

Wouldn't mind being completely wrong here though. A large, sleek T6 with a full cockpit / interior is not something I’d scoff at. 

Edited by Kaijumeister

2 hours ago, EvanHnuel said:

In terms of Swamp Speeder, there's nothing at all backing the Luminara+Rex rumor other than just wishful thinking atm right?

Rex has some legitimacy as far as I’m aware, but in truth I know nothing on this year rumours as of yet. 

1 hour ago, The Stud said:

Wasn’t someone suggesting that we’d be getting a rebel capital ship this year, like Home One? Or was that speculation about what ended up being Yavin IV?

Speculation, 95% certain it was at the time as I was one of many pestering for more info haha. 

37 minutes ago, Kaijumeister said:

Yeah I never understood the argument behind how UCS sets being on shelves restricts the possibility of system-scale equivalents concurrently being on the market. The past few years (this one included) have proven the contrary.

A large, sleek T6 with a full cockpit / interior is not something I’d scoff at. 

Yes it’s a stupid argument, I think many here now are in agreement too. 

Oh, I’m drooling over that T6… would be a marvellous display piece. 

2 hours ago, Flawless Cowboy said:

Lego turned the Justifier into a $170 shelf warmer, anything is possible

Whilst I think we were all surprised at The Justifier being released, Cad Bane’s appearance in TBOBF is important context behind the decision. It also made perfect sense for Omega, too who we didn’t get in the Shuttle the year before. 

Im fairly sure if you watch some of the designer videos on YT, they make clear it provided an interesting ship that they wanted to design, especially the landing mechanism. 

2 hours ago, Flawless Cowboy said:

Lego turned the Justifier into a $170 shelf warmer, anything is possible

Disproven by the recent Razor Crest UCS which also has a playset version on shelves. $400 vs $160ish isn’t remotely close to most consumers. Also, the gunship is retiring this fall so it’s a moot point altogether, there would hardly be any overlap.

Both are very valid points.

The Justifier is just priced and sized incorrectly. If TLG made it smaller and added one more fig (Lana Se perhaps) at the $100-$120 price tag it would sell really well. The build is beautiful and I really like the interior tho it is limited. Also Omega's a good fig and at $100 would be more of a draw. 

The UCS & playscale discussion is inherently dumb. There have been many instances where UCS and play scale versions have been on shelves at the same time. The gunship being a prequel UCS actually benefits it in this way because a play scale version would sell much better and to a wider audience than the UCS which is price-locked for many younger fans. 

5 hours ago, kidtheboss611 said:

Yeah, i def want more clones too, don't get me wrong, but one issue is that they all just want TCW sets and TCW only, which is outrageous, tbh, the community has gotten pretty toxic ever since the 501st campaign IMO.

21 minutes ago, Goofster said:

tbh, the community has gotten pretty toxic ever since the 501st campaign IMO.

I think “toxic” is bounded around way too often these days. 

I think the Lego Star Wars team underestimated the love for the Prequels, plus they prefer the OT as do many others. Whilst the latter is my opinion, the trends do point that way. 

They were late to realise that many of the prequel lovers now had income c. 2018. 

From a personal note, I get fundamentally more excited by a prequel era, especially a Clone Wars (Clone related) set. The difference is stark, actually. For example I’m far more likely to purchase a swamp speeder than the other sets of the wave. 

I will always defend those that want - and often loudly demand - prequel sets. Of course, when it gets daft, no go. 

A younger Star Wars design team (judging based off of who grew up with what “Star Wars”) would undoubtedly take the line in a new, better direction. But that’s for another day. 

I am looking forward to seeing this wave, and hearing more about the unknowns. It’s fairly disappointing so far which is surprising given the momentum Star Wars has had recently. 

46 minutes ago, ArrowBricks said:

W post, i ofc also prefer prequel sets over OT, anyway i also want to state that this is just my opinion and from what I've seen, i do agree with your statement too.

Yeah no, apparently there's a leaked imperial cody but i REALLY doubt those unknown sets are for bad batch lmao.

5 hours ago, kidtheboss611 said:

The UCS & playscale discussion is inherently dumb. There have been many instances where UCS and play scale versions have been on shelves at the same time. The gunship being a prequel UCS actually benefits it in this way because a play scale version would sell much better and to a wider audience than the UCS which is price-locked for many younger fans. 

I feel like it's a very "case by case basis" sort of thing.  I do think there's some merit to the argument that having two on shelves at the same time would cannibalize sales of at least one, but it would mainly be a problem if both products launched at the same time, and I think that would only be a problem for certain vehicles.

With respect to the AT-AT and Falcon being on shelves as both a UCS and regular model, they're so far apart in price that it's a non-factor.  The average consumer and/or kid going for the playscale model at $160 isn't the target consumer at all for the person that will drop $800 for a LEGO set, so having an enormous one on the shelves at the same time as a regular one isn't really a big deal.  With the Falcon especially, it's iconic enough to where they could put it out at the same time as a playscale Falcon and both would still sell, partially due to the price difference, but also just because it's popular enough to always have one on shelves.

With the X-Wing, it's probably the most famous SW vehicle (either that or the Falcon, I would say?), so having a large display version for $200 and a playscale version for $40-50 doesn't really matter too much, both will sell well because of the popularity (as evidenced by the fact that the playscale version has been on the shelves since January of 2021, when several sets from the summer of 2021 have already retired).  Again, it's also important to have the cheaper one for kids or average consumers who want something with minifigures and that's more play-centric, as opposed to the larger one aimed more at adults who grew up on the OT, or hardcore LEGO fans.

With respect to the Gunship, I feel like the UCS vs. playscale version thing would only be an issue if they launched both at the same time.  I feel like the demand for a playscale Gunship is actually higher than a UCS one (I have no evidence to support this, but at least online, more people seem to be interested in a minifigure scale model), so if they put out a $160 one and a $400 at the same time, I would guess more people would gravitate towards the cheaper one with more minifigures (probably including some desirable clone) and more playability over the large display model.  Again, that's just my conjecture based on what I've seen from various social media outlets and boards.

In this case, though, the Gunship's already been out for a while (and must've sold pretty well, as there are several other UCS models that retired sooner in recent memory), so I feel like launching a playscale version wouldn't matter.  I'd guess by now that most people who wanted the UCS Gunship have purchased it, so I don't think having a smaller one would really cannibalize sales of the big one. 

We also saw this with the Razor Crest, where the small one was out for about a year, and then the UCS one was launched.  I'm also guessing that the small one has sold incredibly well, because I believe it's still available, and it also must've signaled that it was worth making the first non-movie UCS model (even before we got any sequel based D2C sets!  Like, if you told me we'd be getting a UCS Razor Crest before a Kylo Ren helmet, I don't think I would've believed you).

3 hours ago, Goofster said:

Yeah, i def want more clones too, don't get me wrong, but one issue is that they all just want TCW sets and TCW only, which is outrageous, tbh, the community has gotten pretty toxic ever since the 501st campaign IMO.

I'm not going to defend the clowns who harassed Lego's social media employees and designers over not getting a battlepack or Clone trooper in a 400$ display model set but I think a lot of this stems from the fact a lot of kids who grew up with TCW now have disposable income and want to get Lego sets of vehicles and scenes they couldn't afford as a kid. It sucks when you wanted a Republic Gunship or AT-OT as a kid but couldn't afford it, however now that you can Lego isn't producing them and the aftermarket has surged them to ludicrous prices (ESPECIALLY minifigures, its absurd how expensive some Clones are). For example, Jango's Slave 1 went from 100$ used with minifigures 5 years ago to close to 400$ now. 

3 hours ago, ArrowBricks said:

From a personal note, I get fundamentally more excited by a prequel era, especially a Clone Wars (Clone related) set. The difference is stark, actually. For example I’m far more likely to purchase a swamp speeder than the other sets of the wave. 

A younger Star Wars design team (judging based off of who grew up with what “Star Wars”) would undoubtedly take the line in a new, better direction. But that’s for another day. 

I am looking forward to seeing this wave, and hearing more about the unknowns. It’s fairly disappointing so far which is surprising given the momentum Star Wars has had recently. 

Just picked out some points from your post. PT / CW sets fundamentally excite me more than other eras too. In addition to everyone’s personal preferences for their favourite era, what’s even more pertinent to Lego as a toy for kids is that PT-era vehicles are simply more colourful and diverse in terms of creative designs compared to the OT. They may not be as iconic, but they certainly are visually interesting and often quite vibrant to look at. And for kids, that goes a long way. As much as I love and appreciate the OT, I’m really tired of seeing sets dominated by grey pieces, including from the Mandalorian.

Agreed about the Design Team too. They’re certainly competent (greatly so) in set designs for the most part, but I’d love to see the same sort of energy and attention to detail as, say, the Harry Potter theme.

I was initially quite disappointed in the summer lineup, but if the 4 September sets, Swamp Speeder, Yavin IV, and Fang Fighter vs. TIE Interceptor sets are solid enough, that’ll redeem the year for me.

Overall, I’m feeling more cautiously optimistic than I was in February when the initial list leaked out. If that initial list was all we’d be getting, then this would indubitably be one of the weakest years for the theme yet.

1 hour ago, Kit Figsto said:

With respect to the Gunship, I feel like the UCS vs. playscale version thing would only be an issue if they launched both at the same time.  I feel like the demand for a playscale Gunship is actually higher than a UCS one (I have no evidence to support this, but at least online, more people seem to be interested in a minifigure scale model), so if they put out a $160 one and a $400 at the same time, I would guess more people would gravitate towards the cheaper one with more minifigures (probably including some desirable clone) and more playability over the large display model.  Again, that's just my conjecture based on what I've seen from various social media outlets and boards.

You made some great points here. Building on that, I think the UCS and playscale Gunships are different enough to satisfy different types of consumers at the end of the day. I always felt the UCS Gunship is oversized and somewhat loses its charm by not being able to actually scale with minifigures, but that’s by design of course. Conversely a playscale Gunship would occupy far less space, have a tighter design, and just look ‘cooler’ by actually being able to hold minifigures in a realistic manner. Just a wild assumption on my part, but if the UCS and System-scale versions of this vehicle were on shelves at the same time, I’m sure most people would gravitate towards the latter. 

4 hours ago, ArrowBricks said:

I think the Lego Star Wars team underestimated the love for the Prequels, plus they prefer the OT as do many others. Whilst the latter is my opinion, the trends do point that way. 

They were late to realise that many of the prequel lovers now had income c. 2018. 

I will always defend those that want - and often loudly demand - prequel sets. Of course, when it gets daft, no go. 

I agree on all points. I too am a huge fan of the Clone Wars/prequel era and those sets get me way more excited than anything OT. It also helps that most prequel vehicles actually have color(gasp!). I get so sick of bland gray polygonal ships that's most of the OT and even Mando stuff, as much as I love Mando. 

7 hours ago, Gontron said:

Lego isn't producing them and the aftermarket has surged them to ludicrous prices (ESPECIALLY minifigures, its absurd how expensive some Clones are). For example, Jango's Slave 1 went from 100$ used with minifigures 5 years ago to close to 400$ now. 

Exactly i hate the aftermarket too, it's horrible (at least when you're on the receiving end), everything is so overpriced just because it has value, i can understand that frustration.

i find ironic how they harassed LEGO for 501st clones but now they're complaining that theres too many 501st clones.

Also, we're not fighting btw.

14 hours ago, ArrowBricks said:

Baby, can't you see I'm calling?

A guy like you should wear a warning

It's dangerous, I'm falling

There's no escape, I can't wait

I need a hit, baby, give me it

You're dangerous, I'm loving it

Too high, can't come down

Losing my head, spinnin' 'round and 'round

Do you feel me now?

With a taste of your lips, I'm on a ride

You're toxic, I'm slippin' under

With a taste of a poison paradise

I'm addicted to you

Don't you know that you're toxic?

And I love what you do

It's getting late to give you up

I took a sip from my devil's cup

Slowly, it's taking over me

Too high, can't come down

It's in the air and it's all around

Can you feel me now?

I'm addicted to you

And I love what you do

Taste of your lips, I'm on a ride

I'm addicted to you

You're toxic, I'm slippin' under (toxic)

I'm addicted to you

Intoxicate me now, with your lovin' now

I think I'm ready now, I think I'm ready now

Intoxicate me now, with your lovin' now

I think I'm ready now [Spoiler/]

Jokes aside you are absolutely right.

You know what I want (in addition to prequel stuff not instead of)... Rebels sets, I did grow up more on TCW than rebels ( I was 8 and 14 respectively) but CW had more sets and more that I got anyway.

2 hours ago, omegabadbatch said:

I hope bo katan will not be in another set beacuse I bought spider tank for her

It's not all about you :tongue: but if she's not in another set this wave then the next time we see her she might be a new variant anyway,

with the Mythosaur signet on her shoulder

Okay I f-cked up the spoiler brackets.

Edited by Agent Kallus

15 minutes ago, Agent Kallus said:
Spoiler
15 minutes ago, Agent Kallus said:

It's not all about you :tongue: but if she's not in another set this wave then the next time we see her she might be a new variant anyway, 

new variant? you mean bo katan with different arm print?

I respect all you who like the Prequel sets better. But I'm an OT guy myself and would buy OT over Prequel any day. I think you all are spot on when pointing out that the designers are problem more like me and so their love for the OT shows more. But that will change over the next few years I'm sure. And who knows, maybe 20 years from now we'll have people saying they're bigger fans of the Sequels than the Prequels!

46 minutes ago, Agent Kallus said:
  Hide contents

Hide contents

if she's not in another set this wave then the next time we see her she might be a new variant anyway,

Hide contents

with the Mythosaur signet on her shoulder

Hide contents

Dude, i really doubt they're gonna make another Realistic Bo-Katan just to

change a single detail on the arm print, they already made one with new arm prints, they aren't gonna change it for a REALLY minor detail, at least not for this wave or year.