MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2023 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

6 minutes ago, EvanHnuel said:

Rex in that set is wishful thinking to the max. I don't think he's completely off the table this year with the mystery sets, but I bet lego would take the route they did with Cody last summer by putting him behind a $140 wall. 

I agree. I'm of the opinion that our best bet for a Rex this year might be from one of the Ashoka sets unless he comes in one of the unknown sets. It just doesn't make sense for him to be in the swamp speeder. Bacara makes way more senses, especially with the niew visor piece.

5 minutes ago, ToaDraco said:

I agree. I'm of the opinion that our best bet for a Rex this year might be from one of the Ashoka sets unless he comes in one of the unknown sets. It just doesn't make sense for him to be in the swamp speeder. Bacara makes way more senses, especially with the niew visor piece.

Oof. If he's in an Ahsoka set, he'll likely be old man Rex. That would be the biggest troll from TLG.

51 minutes ago, EvanHnuel said:

Rex in that set is wishful thinking to the max. I don't think he's completely off the table this year with the mystery sets, but I bet lego would take the route they did with Cody last summer by putting him behind a $140 wall. 

Agreed - Maybe one of the newly-leaked 1000+ piece sets? 🤔

39 minutes ago, ToaDraco said:

Bacara makes way more senses, especially with the niew visor piece.

You mean Bly; Bacara commanded the Galactic Marines. 

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but JB Spielwaren made a review of the Snub Fighter a few days ago (though I only just discovered it). The set looks better from more natural angles imo, and appears larger than it looked in the promotional images. I think I'm ever so slightly more comfortable with the price, but the lack of a third figure is still inexcusable.

1 hour ago, AD_Bricks said:

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but JB Spielwaren made a review of the Snub Fighter a few days ago (though I only just discovered it). The set looks better from more natural angles imo, and appears larger than it looked in the promotional images. I think I'm ever so slightly more comfortable with the price, but the lack of a third figure is still inexcusable.

Agreed, the fighter itself looks pretty decent by most standards, but this move from a $30 to a $35 price point is ridiculous if they're not going to at least include a third minifig. Last summer's Obi-Wan's Starfighter is still only $30 and includes 3 characters. The Dark Trooper attack is $35 and includes 4!

44 minutes ago, SketchBrick said:

Last summer's Obi-Wan's Starfighter is still only $30 and includes 3 characters. The Dark Trooper attack is $35 and includes 4!

It's very strange. Also interestingly, in Australia, the price change was from $45 to $50, and all of those sets including the Jedi Starfighter have been $50. I didn't know that the Starfighter was back at the cheaper price in America :oh:

2 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

Agreed - Maybe one of the newly-leaked 1000+ piece sets? 🤔

You mean Bly; Bacara commanded the Galactic Marines. 

Yes, I meant Bly. I really want Bacara at some point though. I'd love a Galactic Marines bp one day and it really wouldn't be hard for them to make. Just put some purple printing on the snowtrooper helmet or dual-mold it.

59 minutes ago, ToaDraco said:

I really want Bacara at some point though. I'd love a Galactic Marines bp one day and it really wouldn't be hard for them to make. Just put some purple printing on the snowtrooper helmet or dual-mold it.

They would be great to get, though we would definitely need either a dual-moulded or two-piece Snowtrooper helmet, since I am not sure that the proper effect can be achieved just by printing the existing part. 

7 hours ago, ToaDraco said:

Yes, I meant Bly. I really want Bacara at some point though. I'd love a Galactic Marines bp one day and it really wouldn't be hard for them to make. Just put some purple printing on the snowtrooper helmet or dual-mold it.

I'd say the best bet of getting a set for Bakara and the Galactic marine troopers would be a UT-AT but it's kinda obscure and the only time we've really seen it was a quick order 66 scene (which would also be dark too base off of) i think the fact that Bly and Bakara were front and center parts of order 66 makes us getting those figures very unlikely (although maybe a TCW set for Bly).

11 hours ago, EvanHnuel said:

Rex is a pretty likely figure tbh, i say this again, but giving him a new unnecessary faceprint under his helmet in Skywalker saga could be an indication to something, although Lego has a giant roster of new characters that are only in games, maybe this one is also a new edition to that collection.

Also tbh what has stopped them from releasing a Rex in 2020 when season 7 came out...? They 100% know the fan demand so i don't get it, he was a center piece of all the clone wars seasons and ESPECIALLY season 7.

These fans are getting pretty annoying actually, they put Rex in everything and all they want is Clone Wars based sets, they don't understand that the market for Star Wars is much bigger than just clones, most people (if they aren't star wars fans) know stormtroopers but dont know about clones and if they do they probably think they're also "stormtroopers", this also comes from these carbon copy "youtubers" who keep feeding these dumb ideas to their fans.

32 minutes ago, omegabadbatch said:

vader in his mech could be from tie bomber with new head and arm printing?

No most likely not, probably a giant Darth Vader with a buildable lightsaber, they don't do arm printing for mech figures and in most cases for the legs too, but this one will most likely have leg printing since it would look awkward otherwise.

11 hours ago, EvanHnuel said:

Oof. If he's in an Ahsoka set, he'll likely be old man Rex. That would be the biggest troll from TLG.

I personally wouldn't mind, he still looks BADASS, hopefully lego doesn't do anything stupid and gives us a detailed one that has duel molded arms and legs and a helmet.

8 minutes ago, Goofster said:

No most likely not, probably a giant Darth Vader with a buildable lightsaber, they don't do arm printing for mech figures and in most cases for the legs too, but this one will most likely have leg printing since it would look awkward otherwise.

you are thiniking that star wars mechs dont have minifigures?

Just now, omegabadbatch said:

you are thiniking that star wars mechs dont have minifigures?

No they are, it's just that lego doesn't do arm printing and leg printing (besides iron man) for mech figures.

8 minutes ago, Goofster said:

Rex is a pretty likely figure tbh, i say this again, but giving him a new unnecessary faceprint under his helmet in Skywalker saga could be an indication to something, although Lego has a giant roster of new characters that are only in games, maybe this one is also a new edition to that collection.

Also tbh what has stopped them from releasing a Rex in 2020 when season 7 came out...? They 100% know the fan demand so i don't get it, he was a center piece of all the clone wars seasons and ESPECIALLY season 7.

I wouldn't read too much into Rex getting a new head print in TSS too much as many other characters were updated. Doesn't necessarily correlate to an immanent release. It is nice knowing that IF we got a new Rex fig, it would likely have a cool detail like that however. 

The blunder of not releasing him during peak S7 hype made no sense to me, but despite that being a golden opportunity to release him, I think the demand is still there and maybe even higher, so TLG will hopefully see that and supply. 

I do find it pretty hilarious how lifebricks spent half of his latest video criticizing people for reposting fakes (e.g. the fake UCS death star pic) and acting irresponsibly to get clicks, when the thumbnail of the video is literally that exact fake set with question marks over it in order to get clicks.

1 minute ago, SketchBrick said:

I do find it pretty hilarious how lifebricks spent half of his latest video criticizing people for reposting fakes (e.g. the fake UCS death star pic) and acting irresponsibly to get clicks, when the thumbnail of the video is literally that exact fake set with question marks over it in order to get clicks.

XD Yeah, that's why I'm not a fan.

Honestly even as a BIG TIME fan of the clone wars and clone sets I'm glad we only really get 3-4 sets of that era a year. It would be absolute HELL on my bank account if we ever saw years like the 2008-2013 era.

It would be nice if we got a couple more CIS sets here and there but honestly if we only get a big republic vehicle set and battle pack every couple of years I'll live. I'm personally quite overwhelmed with all the clone sets available rn as an army builder. I just barely missed the bus on the clone command station (and am paying dearly for my mistakes) and the republic fighter tank is going for 50% above retail and it's not even retired yet. I'm honestly holding out hope for Lego to pull the biggest troll ever and just put the 187th Clones in a magazine like they did with the 212th just to spite scalpers OR even a battlepack which would be comedy gold. (Remember folks, if you're buying up all of a currently produced product on the shelves and selling it all at 150+%, you're not an investor, you're a scalper and you're the worst :P)

32 minutes ago, Hhalcyon said:

Honestly even as a BIG TIME fan of the clone wars and clone sets I'm glad we only really get 3-4 sets of that era a year. It would be absolute HELL on my bank account if we ever saw years like the 2008-2013 era.

It would be nice if we got a couple more CIS sets here and there but honestly if we only get a big republic vehicle set and battle pack every couple of years I'll live. I'm personally quite overwhelmed with all the clone sets available rn as an army builder. I just barely missed the bus on the clone command station (and am paying dearly for my mistakes) and the republic fighter tank is going for 50% above retail and it's not even retired yet. I'm honestly holding out hope for Lego to pull the biggest troll ever and just put the 187th Clones in a magazine like they did with the 212th just to spite scalpers OR even a battlepack which would be comedy gold. (Remember folks, if you're buying up all of a currently produced product on the shelves and selling it all at 150+%, you're not an investor, you're a scalper and you're the worst :P)

republick tank is not available on lego shop in UK?

Edited by omegabadbatch

On 3/18/2023 at 5:19 PM, Kaijumeister said:

@Pedilego It’s funny you bring up Micro Galaxy Squadron, I love that line. They made a Yoda’s Starfighter fairly recently so it’s quite funny that Lego are also bringing it back this year. I keep flip-flopping on whether this set will be as lacklustre as it sounds or if it’ll include a third minifigure that’s more desirable than Yoda and R2 to seal the deal. Cynicism says it’ll be just those two, but part of me also feels like Lego will put something else in there to make the set more appealing.

Yeah, ships are so unwieldy in Lego. It's blasphemy, I know, but they just take up so much space. I prefer land-scapes/battles unless it has a lot of minifig playability (e.g. Razor Crest). MGS is a great alternative for ships so I'm 100% with you: Yoda's Starfighter will have to have an appealing 3rd figure to draw me in.

45 minutes ago, Goofster said:

These fans are getting pretty annoying actually, they put Rex in everything and all they want is Clone Wars based sets, they don't understand that the market for Star Wars is much bigger than just clones, most people (if they aren't star wars fans) know stormtroopers but dont know about clones and if they do they probably think they're also "stormtroopers"

Lots of assumptions here (e.g. all they want is Clone Wars sets, they don't understand the market, the Stormtrooper statement). 

Back to the Galaxy Squadron interview alluded to a couple of pages ago: The Brand Manager said for the line to be successful, it needs to have a healthy mix of content that appeals to kids in order for product sales to have a long-tail. Older customers buy what they need early on to complete their collection, but it's the younger demo that keeps sales going after the initial waves. He cited, multiple times, that Clone Wars is VERY popular with kids. I say all of this because I see the same complaints over on MGS forums, albeit on a smaller scale (ba dum chh), with collectors complaining that they're doing too much Republic-era content.

Mind you, Maxwell, the Brand Manager is VERY passionate, knowledgeable, and transparent about both (a) toy lines/history (including Lego) as well as (b) Star Wars - and he's overseeing one of the most successful new Star Wars toy lines in recent memory. I'd generally defer to his understanding of the Star Wars toy market. (That said: There've been some misses. I already mentioned Asajj's ship but it's also worth noting, unfortunately, Jango's Slave I is currently on clearance to $10 at Target - not a great sign for TLG doing one but a nice deal if anybody's interested.)

45 minutes ago, Goofster said:

this also comes from these carbon copy "youtubers" who keep feeding these dumb ideas to their fans.

Like so many of the criticisms at Republic-era/Clone fans, influencer scapegoating reduces/ignores the actual agency/desires of the fans. Demand doesn't come from Lego YouTubers; there's some of that, yes, but they mostly become popular because they're the most effective at giving a voice to the community's desires. For example, the 501st BP wouldn't have been as wildly popular as it was if it were just M&R driving popularity, rather, he effectively vocalizing what the fans wanted and obtained results.

It's also worth mentioning that before all of the Clone sets, the criticism of the Clone movement was "Lego makes decisions based on sales". Sales & product choices have proven out that the vocal fans, in fact, were correct: There was unmet demand. Of course there's going to be a subsection of fans that are going to remain vocal about their wants; that's the precedence that TLG themselves helped set.

Perhaps it's worth considering these things before participating in friendly-fan-fire against people simply expressing their desires/disappointments about products.

46 minutes ago, SketchBrick said:

He has a remarkable ability of stretching a bunch of nothing into a ten minute video. 

25 minutes ago, Hhalcyon said:

I was in the same boat until I decided that I was only going to buy the sets that would look good on my shelf in five years. Which limits me to the gunship and the AT-TE, all the other droid and clone sets in the past three years look <insert that tiresome argument>.

9 minutes ago, Pedilego said:

Yeah, ships are so unwieldy in Lego. It's blasphemy, I know, but they just take up so much space. I prefer land-scapes/battles unless it has a lot of minifig playability (e.g. Razor Crest). MGS is a great alternative for ships so I'm 100% with you: Yoda's Starfighter will have to have an appealing 3rd figure to draw me in.

Lots of assumptions here (e.g. all they want is Clone Wars sets, they don't understand the market, the Stormtrooper statement). 

Back to the Galaxy Squadron interview alluded to a couple of pages ago: The Brand Manager said for the line to be successful, it needs to have a healthy mix of content that appeals to kids in order for product sales to have a long-tail. Older customers buy what they need early on to complete their collection, but it's the younger demo that keeps sales going after the initial waves. He cited, multiple times, that Clone Wars is VERY popular with kids. I say all of this because I see the same complaints over on MGS forums, albeit on a smaller scale (ba dum chh), with collectors complaining that they're doing too much Republic-era content.

Mind you, Maxwell, the Brand Manager is VERY passionate, knowledgeable, and transparent about both (a) toy lines/history (including Lego) as well as (b) Star Wars - and he's overseeing one of the most successful new Star Wars toy lines in recent memory. I'd generally defer to his understanding of the Star Wars toy market. (That said: There've been some misses. I already mentioned Asajj's ship but it's also worth noting, unfortunately, Jango's Slave I is currently on clearance to $10 at Target - not a great sign for TLG doing one but a nice deal if anybody's interested.)

Like so many of the criticisms at Republic-era/Clone fans, influencer scapegoating reduces/ignores the actual agency/desires of the fans. Demand doesn't come from Lego YouTubers; there's some of that, yes, but they mostly become popular because they're the most effective at giving a voice to the community's desires. For example, the 501st BP wouldn't have been as wildly popular as it was if it were just M&R driving popularity, rather, he effectively vocalizing what the fans wanted and obtained results.

It's also worth mentioning that before all of the Clone sets, the criticism of the Clone movement was "Lego makes decisions based on sales". Sales & product choices have proven out that the vocal fans, in fact, were correct: There was unmet demand. Of course there's going to be a subsection of fans that are going to remain vocal about their wants; that's the precedence that TLG themselves helped set.

Perhaps it's worth considering these things before participating in friendly-fan-fire against people simply expressing their desires/disappointments about products.

Call me a pessimist, but I sincerely doubt MandR was the greatest influence behind the 501st battlepack. It’s not like it dropped out of nowhere, it was part of a wave of season 7 clone sets. Also, the community was asking for a more affordable $15-$20 dollar battlepack, not a $30 “mega” pack with two large, disposable side builds inflating the price of the set. I think it would have been made either way. 

1 hour ago, SketchBrick said:

he is so clickbaity its hilarious

11 minutes ago, Flawless Cowboy said:

Call me a pessimist, but I sincerely doubt MandR was the greatest influence behind the 501st battlepack. It’s not like it dropped out of nowhere, it was part of a wave of season 7 clone sets. Also, the community was asking for a more affordable $15-$20 dollar battlepack, not a $30 “mega” pack with two large, disposable side builds inflating the price of the set. I think it would have been made either way. 

Okay, strike through "and obtained results". Whatever slice of the 501st pie he is/isn't responsible for is just the icing on the cake. (No, I'm not hungry, you are...)

Either way, we're saying the same thing: there was demand already there but (IMO) not just for the set but also for a YouTuber with views that resonated with a very large segment of the fandom.

20 minutes ago, omegabadbatch said:

maybe 1 of 2 unknown sets is mantis ship from fallen order game?

I think Lego said that they weren't going to make Fallen Order sets as the game is too violent?

20 minutes ago, omegabadbatch said:

maybe 1 of 2 unknown sets is mantis ship from fallen order game?

Don't see a presumably $120-150 Fallen Order set selling well when they could throw an iconic OT ship in there and sell ample amounts