MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2023 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

16 minutes ago, jdubbs said:

The TIE Bomber did not appear in Return of the Jedi. LEGO may have labeled it as an anniversary set, but I don't think anyone seriously counts it as such. It would be like LEGO releasing Maul's Sith Interceptor with an AotC anniversary logo on it.... except in that case the Internet would be in flames, there'd be videos from every "influencer" decrying how LEGO hates the prequels or is run by idiots, and this forum would probably have imploded from the agita.

You are also counting three diorama sets when... there may well only be two. And you're counting a fairly generic X-Wing -- one which appears in no less than 5 Star Wars films (and originated two films earlier) -- as a RotJ anniversary set. And then also making a giant assumption about a second UCS set based on literally zero info. 

You have not supported your thesis particularly well with this "evidence".

The 2023 501st battlepack, which is based on a video game, is as relevant to “Clone Wars” as a tie bomber or x wing (which both do technically appear in ROTJ. We’ll see what the swamp speeder is, but so far Lego has, in my opinion, truly honored the anniversary with only the two helmet sets so far. Which is a tad weak.

Also, Lego clearly has a strong track record for clone-inspired sets, but on the prequel film front, they have been lacking. Currently, only three sets (Kenobi’s Starfighter, AT-TE, UCS Gunship) are explicitly from the prequels, and the only one not retiring this year is the AT-TE. The last time Lego released a non-clone prequel set was 2019 in the form of Anakin’s pod racer for the 20th anniversary. 

11 minutes ago, Matichado said:

second all those sets still are ROJ anniversary sets wether you like it or not.

You've seen the box art for all three quotes sets, and both UCS sets? Please, do share...

ROTJ anniversary is disappointing imo, i would make sets like the 2017 a-wing with lando and etc, are we even sure we're getting jabba at this point? I don't think lego really wants to do that, imo, the empire gets to much love from lego while making OT sets, x-wings too.

2 minutes ago, Flawless Cowboy said:

The 2023 501st battlepack, which is based on a video game, is as relevant to “Clone Wars” as a tie bomber or x wing (which both do technically appear in ROTJ. We’ll see what the swamp speeder is, but so far Lego has, in my opinion, truly honored the anniversary with only the two helmet sets so far. Which is a tad weak.

Also, Lego clearly has a strong track record for clone-inspired sets, but on the prequel film front, they have been lacking. Currently, only three sets (Kenobi’s Starfighter, AT-TE, UCS Gunship) are explicitly from the prequels, and the only one not retiring this year is the AT-TE. The last time Lego released a non-clone prequel set was 2019 in the form of Anakin’s pod racer for the 20th anniversary. 

You guys have once again fallen in the trap of thinking that LEGO is somehow beholden to all these anniversaries and duty-bound to treat them all equally. When the reality is that neither has ever been the case. Most anniversaries have gone by with no meaningful support at all. Whether LEGO chooses to support the RotJ anniversary with two sets or twenty, has no bearing at all on how they will support the CW anniversary. And to try to further contort that all into proof you are getting a gunship... well, that dog won't hunt.

13 minutes ago, jdubbs said:

You guys have once again fallen in the trap of thinking that LEGO is somehow beholden to all these anniversaries and duty-bound to treat them all equally.

I think that also comes from these lego star wars"youtubers", all they do is talk about TCW and complain about the smallest inaccuracy. They feed thousands of people garbage and than they all complain once they realize that garbage WAS garbage, not gonna name names but these people know who they are, they need to accept that star wars isn't just about the clones, it's about a large galaxy.

and don't try to misinterpret my words, TCW is a really good show but at this point it's getting annoying and actually irritating, half of these youtubers are the same people honestly, no difference other than voice.

cry about it.

i do apologize if this is considered "starting fights", but im trying to express my frustations.

Edited by Goofster

8 minutes ago, jdubbs said:

You guys have once again fallen in the trap of thinking that LEGO is somehow beholden to all these anniversaries and duty-bound to treat them all equally. When the reality is that neither has ever been the case. Most anniversaries have gone by with no meaningful support at all. Whether LEGO chooses to support the RotJ anniversary with two sets or twenty, has no bearing at all on how they will support the CW anniversary. And to try to further contort that all into proof you are getting a gunship... well, that dog won't hunt.

I never said anything about a 2023 gunship or that Lego doesn’t have a track record of underwhelming anniversary sets. What I’m expressing is that it can be underwhelming on both the ROTJ and Clone Wars front, doubly so when there’s outright branding for the anniversaries on the boxes. As a result, there’s major, and rightful expectations for these anniversaries to be honored. Lego can slap a logo on a box if they want, but then they shouldn’t be surprised when people ask for specific sets. 

25 minutes ago, Goofster said:

ROTJ anniversary is disappointing imo, i would make sets like the 2017 a-wing with lando and etc, are we even sure we're getting jabba at this point? I don't think lego really wants to do that, imo, the empire gets to much love from lego while making OT sets, x-wings too.

THIS. So far all the sets that are sporting the 40th Anniversary box art are so loosely related. I mean sure the Tie Bomber and the Executor show up in the movie, but most people associate those two ships with ESB. Luke is in his X-Wing for less than a minute when he's going off to Dagobah. Whatever.

It would have made more sense to honor the anniversary, and yes they should do their best to honor it if they're going to go the lengths to make box art and put it on sets they deem appropriate, by making sets that are distinctly ROTJ. Jabba, Endor, etc. I guess we will have to see what these May dioramas bring! 

Edited by EvanHnuel

1 hour ago, jdubbs said:

Okay, fine. But we're really splitting hairs here...

Technically speaking, Sloane's inclusion means the set is based on one of the short stories. So if we split hairs enough, it goes back around to not being ROTJ based.

But yeah no it's an ESB set where some designer decided to chuck Sloane in and a different guy decided to plop the ROTJ anniversary label on it.

1 hour ago, Flawless Cowboy said:

1. Does Red Five appear in ROTJ? If we're getting technical, then we're getting technical. 2. Also, the CW anniversary it's advertising is the 20th anniversary of Clone Wars 03, so by your logic, if the 501st BP doesn't count, neither do the helmets, as P1 cody and P2 Rex weren't in the 03 clone wars show. And as @jdubbs keeps telling you guys, lego really doesn't put much stock in anniversaries. 

2. Sure, they have. (Though you contradict yourself here. Kenobi's starfighter doesn't feature any clone troopers and released in 2022). But I don't think that's an issue in any way. Most prequel fans like the clones. Clones are popular. They sell. If lego replaced clone set slots with non-clone PT sets, I have a feeling that we'd be getting a lot of comments here saying they're "wasting" the prequel slots and that it's a horrible crime X clone wasn't included.

3 hours ago, Matichado said:

My reasoning is the clone wars 20th aniversary, LEGO brought it upon themselves so they most likely will release a big clone wars set like how much love they’ve given ROJ and I know OT sets sell of better individually but Clone Wars Sets tend to be bought on mass. Why a gunship? Because LEGO knows we want a gunship and last year they released an AT TE and by facts every republic era AT TE in the past came with gunship to back it up with at least a year of wait. But I agree it can still be anything I just don’t see it being any other thing although maybe a play scale ISD but a hammerhead corvette? Yeah that’s definitely not happening

Bro, they already shelled out for the CW 20th, the clone heads lol now I could be wrong....but it seems to be what it is. There's literally no other evidence that would suggest it being a gunship let alone Count Dooku's Solar Sailer

Though that set for 1000 pieces would be very funny, but obviously I was making a point, not being serious. I love TCW but man....there's way too many fans complaining about how it gets no love or that they don't get some random ship from LEGO from that era. The late 2000s and early 2010s really spoiled y'all fr

Edited by Fulcrumfan91

3 minutes ago, Fulcrumfan91 said:

Bro, they already shelled out for the CW 20th, the clone heads lol now I could be wrong....but it seems to be what it is. There's literally no other evidence that would suggest it being a gunship let alone Count Dooku's Solar Sailer

Dude I’ve said it clearly, it’s just speculation, also I don’t know where the solar sailer came into the conversation

6 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Technically speaking, Sloane's inclusion means the set is based on one of the short stories. So if we split hairs enough, it goes back around to not being ROTJ based.

But yeah no it's an ESB set where some designer decided to chuck Sloane in and a different guy decided to plop the ROTJ anniversary label on it.

1. Does Red Five appear in ROTJ? If we're getting technical, then we're getting technical. 2. Also, the CW anniversary it's advertising is the 20th anniversary of Clone Wars 03, so by your logic, if the 501st BP doesn't count, neither do the helmets, as P1 cody and P2 Rex weren't in the 03 clone wars show. And as @jdubbs keeps telling you guys, lego really doesn't put much stock in anniversaries. 

2. Sure, they have. (Though you contradict yourself here. Kenobi's starfighter doesn't feature any clone troopers and released in 2022). But I don't think that's an issue in any way. Most prequel fans like the clones. Clones are popular. They sell. If lego replaced clone set slots with non-clone PT sets, I have a feeling that we'd be getting a lot of comments here saying they're "wasting" the prequel slots and that it's a horrible crime X clone wasn't included.

1. Yes, Red 5 does appear in ROTJ. There’s even a canon comic that explains how he got it back after leaving it parked at Cloud City. Ultra hair splitting. 

No, the CW anniversary isn’t specific to Clone Wars ‘03, it’s actually Disney’s branding of the general “Clone Wars” that has made its way downstream to Star Wars toy manufacturers. Clone Wars ‘03 is no longer canon and Disney probably cares little for it.

If Lego doesn’t want people putting stock in anniversaries, they shouldn’t be putting branding for anniversaries.

2. No, they haven’t, and Kenobi’s set wasn’t a contradiction, I was listing all the prequel sets which is a measly three. The fact that only one of the three prequel sets isn’t clone-focused reinforces my argument that Lego cares quite a bit for clones, but doesn’t put much stock in prequel film sets, especially non-clone prequel film sets. 

3 minutes ago, Matichado said:

Dude I’ve said it clearly, it’s just speculation, also I don’t know where the solar sailer came into the conversation

Lol exactly why I edited my comment. I knew someone was gonna read it as me actually thinking that'd happen :iamded_lol:

Listen, it's great to speculate and all, but you're also setting yourself up for disappointment. Then we get the handwringing when, surprise surprise, the mystery set has nothing to do with prequels/CW. 

I'm gonna say the big set is the Home One and leave it at that. There's my speculation. If I'm wrong, ok, I'm wrong. Hammerhead Corvette would be hella ill tho

Edited by Fulcrumfan91

6 minutes ago, Fulcrumfan91 said:

Lol exactly why I edited my comment. I knew someone was gonna read it as me actually thinking that'd happen :iamded_lol:

Listen, it's great to speculate and all, but you're also setting yourself up for disappointment. Then we get the handwringing when, surprise surprise, the mystery set has nothing to do with prequels/CW. 

I'm gonna say the big set is the Home One and leave it at that. There's my speculation. If I'm wrong, ok, I'm wrong. Hammerhead Corvette would be hella ill tho

Tbh 100% honest I wouldn’t be too disappointed if it was not a gunship, in fact it suits me, my godfather just spent a lot of money in an 2013 gunship for my graduation/birthday/Christmas it was a steal but still it would’ve been sort of worthless if they make a new one this year (tho if they do I will still treasure my godfathers gift)

1 minute ago, Matichado said:

Tbh 100% honest I wouldn’t be too disappointed if it was not a gunship, in fact it suits me, my godfather just spent a lot of money in an 2013 gunship for my graduation/birthday/Christmas it was a steal but still it would’ve been sort of worthless if they make a new one this year (tho if they do I will still treasure my godfathers gift)

That's really awesome and sweet, honestly, cherish it. I used to have it but had to sell it years ago, it's a great set.

imagine that set is a buildable body for the buildable chewbecca

Edited by Goofster

1 minute ago, Goofster said:

Or a buildable bowcaster (actually, that wouldn't be nearly as bad)

4 minutes ago, Goofster said:

2 minutes ago, AD_Bricks said:

Or a buildable bowcaster (actually, that wouldn't be nearly as bad)

The ultimate LEGO troll

When will we get descriptions or leaks for those ahsoka sets? That's what really interests me tbh, i wanna complete phoenix squadron (i need ezra and zeb)

Edited by Goofster

1 minute ago, Goofster said:

When will we get descriptions or leaks for those ahsoka sets? That's what really interests me tbh, i wanna get phoenix squadron

I think there is a possibility we might get more info during SW celebration on those....but no clue if that'll happen. It's in around 3 weeks from now.

At some point there will be another system-scale gunship. It is almost inevitable, someday. But every year folks on this forum whip themselves into a frenzy thinking this is gonna be the year, and what starts as a wish turns into a rumor turns into a fact turns into massive disappointment once everyone is ultimately reminded... it was just a wish.

Someday, yes, that wish will be fulfilled... at which point a hundred people will pop out of the woodwork making comments like "I'm so glad I was right about the gunship" while conveniently forgetting the many years when they predicted the same thing and were wrong, and conveniently ignoring the fact that everyone else predicted it too, because it was easy to predict.

Full disclosure: I don't know whether this set everyone is so worked up about is a gunship or not. The fact that I don't suggests to me it's a store exclusive (I haven't checked... I don't honestly care at this point), which further suggests it's not a gunship, since that ship has wide enough appeal to do quite well as a broader mainline release. Still, it could be. But to say that it has to be, or that it almost certainly is, or even that it most likely is... that's wish fulfillment at work. And if you insist on rationalizing why it's not, then it's possibly delusion at work.

A set this size could just as easily, and perhaps even more likely be... a Fondor Haulcraft. A Ghost. Some other, unknown set from Ahsoka. Some unknown set from The Mandalorian. Hell, a scaled-down Millennium Falcon, to go with your scaled-down X- and Y-Wings. A statue... B2EMO perhaps. Or a gonk droid. Or a life-sized mouse droid. Or an Ewok. Or... it could be a gunship. 

The point is: a gunship might be inevitable some year. It isn't inevitable this year.

(Unless it is.)

I would have preferred an updated B-wing for May (the last one has been 11 years) to the X-wings 10, and were introduced in Jedi!

I know the X-wing will probably sell better, but I need a B-wing!

22 minutes ago, jdubbs said:

At some point there will be another system-scale gunship. It is almost inevitable, someday. But every year folks on this forum whip themselves into a frenzy thinking this is gonna be the year, and what starts as a wish turns into a rumor turns into a fact turns into massive disappointment once everyone is ultimately reminded... it was just a wish.

The point is: a gunship might be inevitable some year. It isn't inevitable this year.

(Unless it is.)

The Republic Gunship has become the Dallas Cowboys of Lego Star Wars. :laugh:

9 hours ago, Matichado said:

Lego usually puts more pieces to sets with time last gunship had around 1200 pieces also I still think they will make a big clone wars set for the anniversary so the set fits perfectly however I’m well aware it could be anything so if it’s not a gunship I will be disappointed sure but I know that my take has no basis other than mere speculation. Also I recently got a steal on a 2013 gunship so I would still don’t mind that much.

No, we are getting more sets for roj: The Tie Bomber, The Boush Helmet, The UCS X wing And the three Diorama sets and that’s without counting the big Ucs set that will most likely be ROJ for lone wars we have 5: The 501st battlepack, the 2 helmets, the swamp speeder and Yodas starfighter. 

its 6 or 7 vs 5 and also compare the sizes of those sets. And mind you I’m not saying that the 1397 set is guaranteed to be a gunship, is just what I find most likely 

So pure speculation on arithmatic is the reason behind a Gunship, and balanced sets between 2 anniversary collections.

Since 1999 when they first started, there has never been any real connection or balance to releases, some movies and TV shows have had more dominant waves or an additional waves. There hasn't been a balanced number of sets from any recollection.

8 hours ago, Flawless Cowboy said:

No, the CW anniversary isn’t specific to Clone Wars ‘03, it’s actually Disney’s branding of the general “Clone Wars” that has made its way downstream to Star Wars toy manufacturers. Clone Wars ‘03 is no longer canon and Disney probably cares little for it.

If Lego doesn’t want people putting stock in anniversaries, they shouldn’t be putting branding for anniversaries.

Except that it IS specifically for the 03 Clone Wars because it's the 20 year anniversary. It is not the 20 year anniversary of the Filoni Clone Wars because that didn’t air until 2008. 

I totally agree about slapping anniversaries on the boxes though. Why bother doing that if the set isn't actually going to be relevant and you don't really want people to care that much. Imho LEGO is seriously missing the mark by not taking advantage of anniversaries to produce dedicated sets. Star Wars isn't the only theme they've historically done this with but they at least are going all out for the 30th anniversary of Jurassic Park and the big Disney anniversary this year. The only anniversary LEGO did anything with for Star Wars was the anniversary for the LEGO Star Wars theme itself. 

Edited by ToaDraco

2 hours ago, ToaDraco said:

Except that it IS specifically for the 03 Clone Wars because it's the 20 year anniversary. It is not the 20 year anniversary of the Filoni Clone Wars because that didn’t air until 2008.

Yeah, but that only means that it's the 15th anniversary, and as a matter of fact, Lego celebrates 15th anniversaries as well, as in the case of Modular Buildings ^^