MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2023 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

27 minutes ago, Renown said:

The Yavin set will include at least the following: Celebration Luke, Celebration Han, Celebration Leia, Chewbacca, C-3PO, R2-D2, General Dodonna, 2x pilots, and 2x fleet troopers. 

There are potentially more, but unclear at this point if so or how many.  

This was our one chance to get honor guards and of course lego botched it😔 what an awful awful summer wave for lego in general.

Is everyone overlooking the 

34 minutes ago, Renown said:

part?

I missed out on previous UCS X-wing models so I'll likely be in on this unless they completely botch it. Might be an unpopular opinion around here but I'm glad they're revisiting it.

Does anyone know when we find out minifig selection for the other sets usually? Really curious about the Swamp Speeder as I'm sure everyone is lol but also about the other sets too.

27 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

As expected then, not a single new minifig :tongue:

Depending on if the medal is the medal piece, we may get yellow jacket Luke, which would technically be new. 

The real question is if they will include a medal for Chewbacca. 

17 minutes ago, Fulcrumfan91 said:

Does anyone know when we find out minifig selection for the other sets usually? Really curious about the Swamp Speeder as I'm sure everyone is lol but also about the other sets too.

last year in May were descriptions and minifigures names I think

Edited by omegabadbatch

1 hour ago, Renown said:

The Yavin set will include at least the following: Celebration Luke, Celebration Han, Celebration Leia, Chewbacca, C-3PO, R2-D2, General Dodonna, 2x pilots, and 2x fleet troopers. 

Hmm. Honor guards would be preferred, but as-is that's still a nice selection with quite a few minifigures.

Hopefully they are present in the final set if there are more figs as you say is possible.

38 minutes ago, jdubbs said:

Let's try to keep this in perspective. 11 figs is more than any other Star Wars set this size/price has ever included, almost 2x what we typically see.

Quality over quantity. I don‘t care if a set includes 10+ minifigs, if none of them are new or even remotely interesting :tongue: I‘m way more excited for a set with 5 minifigs where 2-3 of them are new compared to one with 11, all of which are either full repeats or have just sliiiiiiiightly updated prints. I‘m not getting excited about roughly 4 slightly tweaked torso prints

43 minutes ago, jdubbs said:

[…] more in line with Harry Potter.

Those sets feature a ton of new characters or variants wherever possible, which SW seems to actively avoid sometimes :laugh_hard:

46 minutes ago, jdubbs said:

Let's try to keep this in perspective. 11 figs is more than any other Star Wars set this size/price has ever included, almost 2x what we typically see. I know everyone here loves to fantasize about Hera and Chopper and Rogue One figs and so on... but try to remember that this is an exceptional assortment of minifigures for a Star Wars set, more in line with Harry Potter.

Based.

8 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Quality over quantity

Lol facts. Agreed with this. I couldn't care less if a set has 10+ minifigures. If they're the same we've already seen, it doesn't matter. I think a set like Boba's Throne Room which has 7 and with mostly new minifigures is preferable. But that's me. 

I mean, at the same time, it's been 10 years since our last Celebration Leia and probably around the same for Celebration Luke (I think the book came out around 2010 but probably could still be found after a few years, since those tend to have long shelf lives).  Not sure on Han, because I know we had a minifigure come out around the same time as those others, but it's pretty much the exact same as regular ANH Han plus a printed medal, so if they do a medal piece, it might not be anything terribly different?

Point being, it's the same thing as the UCS X-Wing.  Those of us that have been collecting for 10+ years most likely have those figures.  The thousands of people who haven't been collecting that long either don't have them at all, want them but they're too prohibitively expensive, or don't even know that they exist (especially Han/Luke, since most people probably don't keep tabs on book exclusives).  

It's also worth saying that we should probably wait for further details/pictures, because inevitably this happens every year, where we get partial/incomplete/uncertain set details that causes multi-page discussions, and then turns out to be all for nothing.  I remember the TIE Fighter a couple of years ago had concept box art that evidently used the minifigure silhouettes from Luke's Landspeeder (but no one knew that at the time), so some leaker said it included a minifigure with short legs, prompting a lengthy series of questions about what that could possibly be, before it came out that it was just placeholders.  I know that example isn't exactly the same situation as here, but my point is that until we actually see pictures, we don't know, so it's best to just be patient and wait.

I'm also very surprised at the lackluster response to the Yavin set info.  I feel like it's been a fairly highly requested location for some time now, since it was pretty much the last major OT location that hasn't had a full-size set (I think the only one left is the Lars Homestead).  I'm excited to see what it looks like, I think the sketch model from a while ago looked like a really good concept, so I'm hoping it's something similar.

1 hour ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

As expected then, not a single new minifig :tongue:

We don't know who the pilots are. Likely they are new/not ones we see often. 

3 minutes ago, ginja said:

We don't know who the pilots are. Likely they are new/not ones we see often. 

I don't count kitbashed minifigs :tongue: There has to be more than just a single faceprint to count, at least in my eyes

1 hour ago, Retro Brick Reviews said:

Firstly, there we go. Two Fleet Troopers and no Honor Guard. Debate solved.

Nah you don’t get off that easily!!! ;) 

I’m just happy with a new celebration/yellow jacket Luke, always has been my favorite design for him

Any speculation on what the UCS set will be? I can’t see it been Endor Bunker or Ewok Village as they’d make more sense as a MBS not UCS.  

Are we sure that the Yavin IV base is $159?  I just feel that price is too little for what Yavin IV should be. 

Also wasn’t there a rumoured list going around suggesting we were getting a Sandcrawler and Sail Barge in the summer wave? 

32 minutes ago, ArrowBricks said:

Nah you don’t get off that easily!!! ;) 

Getting off for... being correct that they're including one and not the other?

Go back and read my post. I never said they 100% wouldn't include Fleet Troopers, just that they 100% wouldn't include Fleet Troopers IF they included Honor Guard, and likewise wouldn't include Honor Guard if they included Fleet Troopers. Not my fault everyone extrapolated in the wrong direction.

6 minutes ago, Retro Brick Reviews said:

Go back and read my post. I never said they 100% wouldn't include Fleet Troopers, just that they 100% wouldn't include Fleet Troopers IF they included Honor Guard, and likewise wouldn't include Honor Guard if they included Fleet Troopers. Not my fault everyone extrapolated in the wrong direction.

You said Honour guards were more likely than Fleet Troopers. Nice one, move along. 

1 hour ago, Renown said:

Based.

^Seconded. Very based.

Quality over quantity. I don‘t care if a set includes 10+ minifigs, if none of them are new or even remotely interesting :tongue: I‘m way more excited for a set with 5 minifigs where 2-3 of them are new compared to one with 11, all of which are either full repeats or have just sliiiiiiiightly updated prints. I‘m not getting excited about roughly 4 slightly tweaked torso prints

You're entitled to your opinion, but this seems kind of nonsensical to me. It's 3 figs we haven't seen in over a decade. What would you even want from this set? Minor rebel leaders are the only completely new figs we could get, and if you're complaining about decade-old remakes already, the argument for Mon Mothma or Crix Madine weakens a little. It's not like a mon mothma minifig would have anything more than a "slightly tweaked" face and torso from ANH leia. 

24 minutes ago, FoggyFate said:

I’m just happy with a new celebration/yellow jacket Luke, always has been my favorite design for him

One of my favorites too. Loved that they used the jacket in some books and comics from the immediately post-ANH era.

Just now, Retro Brick Reviews said:

Technically we don't even know that, renown says more might be included. :wink:

I don't count kitbashed minifigs :tongue: There has to be more than just a single faceprint to count, at least in my eyes

I mean, when Yavin comes out it'll have been 3 1/2 years since the last appearance of the infamous Dak head, so there's a good chance they would be introducing a new pilot design in this set.

...That is, if they don't do specific prints for specific characters. We can presume we'll get a Y-Wing pilot and an X-wing pilot. If the X-Wing pilot is Biggs or Porkins they'd require a unique face, and if it's Red Leader they could do a face with the visor and chinstrap on one side and none on the other to recreate his helmetless scene in the base (same goes with Biggs).

Also, while none of the three Y-Wing pilots in Ep. IV have really unique faces, as stated by others in this forum LEGO may well decide to include Evaan Verlaine from Rogue One as the Y-Wing pilot (she's the only member of Gold Squadron to survive the Battle of Yavin, plus it would be in-character for LEGO to want more than one girl in the set), who would obviously need a new head as well.

Considering that we can seemingly count on six figures to be direct reprints (seven if they don't do a torso variant for Han), I could definitely see them putting in the extra mile on the pilots, presuming they aren't just Wedge and Vander lol

Edited by Retro Brick Reviews

It just seems like some of you are intent on finding the cloud in every silver lining...

Consider that it could have been another Millennium Falcon, or any number of other rehashes. Fact is, LEGO took a chance and devoted their big flagship set to a playset for the first time ever. So maybe, hold off trashing it until you've seen it... and consider that if it sells well, LEGO might be encouraged to do other playsets at this price point, maybe even prequel era ones, if that's your cup of tea?

3 minutes ago, jdubbs said:

It just seems like some of you are intent on finding the cloud in every silver lining...

Consider that it could have been another Millennium Falcon, or any number of other rehashes. Fact is, LEGO took a chance and devoted their big flagship set to a playset for the first time ever. So maybe, hold off trashing it until you've seen it... and consider that if it sells well, LEGO might be encouraged to do other playsets at this price point, maybe even prequel era ones, if that's your cup of tea?

This. For what it is worth, I am told the set looks very good.