MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2023 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

17 minutes ago, Paul11283652 said:

Lego and/or Disney must be having a fine joke in not officially revealing these sets.

I have no clue why they haven't done it yet, it's crazy! What are they waiting for? If it wasn't for the fact that the leaks were of physical copies obtained, I would question if these were even releasing Jan 1st still, because that's only a few weeks away. I don't think system sets usually get revealed this late in the game.

It would be hilarious if Lego legitimately just forgot to reveal the sets and we just never end up with a press release before January 1st. At this point it doesn't matter much anyway since we've seen the goods in detail.

Is it possible that the box rendering errors are the reason of still no reveal? The antennas in the 501st battle pack and the lack of arm printing in Vader in the box of TIE Bomber would then need to be adjusted in the HD pics and in the next batch of LEGO boxes, I suppose.

Edited by PRbrickbuilder
Wrong clone number

2 hours ago, PRbrickbuilder said:

Is it possible that the box rendering errors are the reason of still no reveal? The antennas in the 212th battle pack and the lack of arm printing in Vader in the box of TIE Bomber would then need to be adjusted in the HD pics and in the next batch of LEGO boxes, I suppose.

212th battle pack!?!?! (Joking, I know what you mean.)

I doubt it, especially that it would take this long to adjust in the HD pics, but I suppose it could be a factor.

Edit: Ah, Jeez. Looks like MandR is backing another clone campaign, this one to "fix our clones". Seems like they're "demanding" waistcapes (understandable, even if I don't agree with the phrasing or method), that the only clones to have the new helmet mold with holes be ones that use the visor and antenna (I actively dislike this even as a concept, it makes customization harder and causes them to simultaneously make two different clone helmet molds for the same helmet, which seems like a bad call), and... for them to fix printing on the 212th clones in the AT-TE? Is that an issue? I don't think I've heard a single person complain about it up to this point. Anyway, TLDR is another whiny campaign. Lego shouldn't have encouraged them with the first one.

Edited by Mandalorianknight

4 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

212th battle pack!?!?! (Joking, I know what you mean.)

I doubt it, especially that it would take this long to adjust in the HD pics, but I suppose it could be a factor.

Edit: Ah, Jeez. Looks like MandR is backing another clone campaign, this one to "fix our clones". Seems like they're "demanding" waistcapes (understandable, even if I don't agree with the phrasing or method), that the only clones to have the new helmet mold with holes be ones that use the visor and antenna (I actively dislike this even as a concept, it makes customization harder and causes them to simultaneously make two different clone helmet molds for the same helmet, which seems like a bad call), and... for them to fix printing on the 212th clones in the AT-TE? Is that an issue? I don't think I've heard a single person complain about it up to this point. Anyway, TLDR is another whiny campaign. Lego shouldn't have encouraged them with the first one.

I agree with his stance on the waist capes, the printed ones look horrible to the point you're better off just putting regular legs on them. I don't know how expensive or difficult producing specific cloth pieces are for minifigures but I imagine a simple one color kama wouldn't be too much of a logistical issue. The macrobinoculars not having a blue stripe is fine, I think the plastic is manufactured similar to the other helmet attachments so prints may not be possible. Not to mention I can put them on any future P2 or P1 Clone. 

12 minutes ago, Gontron said:

I don't know how expensive or difficult producing specific cloth pieces are for minifigures but I imagine a simple one color kama wouldn't be too much of a logistical issue.

I think it would be interesting to see the difference in cost for a cloth kama vs dual molded legs. Depending on how opaque the print is, I think I'd prefer the dual mold for durability and ability to bend the legs without damage. Definitely agree on the current kama situation, it just looks awful from every angle, but I guess I can live with it. MandR out here being MandR, nothing new...

I'd have liked a printed line for the lense on the macrobinoculars but I'm fine with not having the coloured stripes as it makes them easier to reuse on other clones. Not sure on waistcapes, they look great but prevent the minifig from being seated.

What I really want to see though is dual molded legs for all imperial officers, not just in big UCS sets. They have already put those same DBG/black legs in plenty of cheaper sets outside of the Star Wars theme so surely they can put them in more SW sets?

Edited by 1340cc

6 hours ago, Gontron said:

I agree with his stance on the waist capes, the printed ones look horrible to the point you're better off just putting regular legs on them. I don't know how expensive or difficult producing specific cloth pieces are for minifigures but I imagine a simple one color kama wouldn't be too much of a logistical issue. The macrobinoculars not having a blue stripe is fine, I think the plastic is manufactured similar to the other helmet attachments so prints may not be possible. Not to mention I can put them on any future P2 or P1 Clone. 

My assumption is that they moved away from the cloth kamas because it dramatically reduces the playability of the figures.  At the end of the day, these aren't Black Series action figures, they're meant for play, and you can't sit your minifigures down if they have the kama on, or else you either damage the cloth or the figure falls over.  This is especially an issue with sets that have space for figures in a cockpit or troop carrying area.  People are inherently going to want to sit the figures down at some point.  Capes have a similar problem, but aren't nearly as restrictive except when the cockpit area is extremely tiny.

11 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

(I actively dislike this even as a concept, it makes customization harder and causes them to simultaneously make two different clone helmet molds for the same helmet, which seems like a bad call)

There's also no way that they're going to use two separate helmet molds just to close a hole up.  Like, logically there is no financial gain behind them putting out another new set of molds when most people that care that much about it are probably already major customers of LSW sets as it is.  I agree with your point about customization, and, like my previous point, it would also reduce playability.  I remember as a kid when I had some original TCW sets, I'd take the extra visors/antennas and stick them on the basic clones, just as a way of making them different.  I feel like I would've been kind of disappointed and definitely confused if I received the extra visor but couldn't stick it on any other helmets.

Like I said, they're not Black Series figures that are meant to be 100% accurate and for display only - they're meant to be used, played with, swapped around, that sort of thing.  Yes, I realize that there's stuff on figures that could easily be fixed (the new Boba Fett's helmet color not matching his armor, for example), but that's quite a bit different from very minor discrepancies between the placement of a chest armor plate in a movie versus on a minifigure, or whatever.  There's just not going to be that total screen accuracy that you get out of the expensive action figures meant more for adult collectors.

On 12/12/2022 at 7:20 PM, ForgedInLego said:

I think it would be interesting to see the difference in cost for a cloth kama vs dual molded legs. Depending on how opaque the print is, I think I'd prefer the dual mold for durability and ability to bend the legs without damage. Definitely agree on the current kama situation, it just looks awful from every angle, but I guess I can live with it. MandR out here being MandR, nothing new...

I know Obi Wan is not a clone, but the way his cape /robe was done in his new ep II appearance is one of the only times I think lego successfully pulled off the “clothing that wraps around to the side of the legs” look without side printing, dual molding or fabric. Echo, ep IV Obi, and Owen Lars come to mind as failed attempts at this. Obi (ep II) looks better because the legs are the color of the wrap around (in his case brown like the robe). 

The Star Wars sets haven't been leaked yet have they? Just asking as obviously HP sets for March have now been released so why sets for January haven't been is interesting 

1 hour ago, Ringwraith said:

The Star Wars sets haven't been leaked yet have they? Just asking as obviously HP sets for March have now been released so why sets for January haven't been is interesting 

They have, somehow, still not been officially revealed, despite having been leaked for weeks now and the fact that we have physical reviews of the sets. It's mind-boggling. 

4 hours ago, Ringwraith said:

Maybe that’s our answer: They’re going to reveal the March sets at the same time. 

Lego works in mysterious ways, I guess their new anti-leak policy is just to pretend there are no sets instead :shrug_oh_well: 

To me, the idea of Lego continuing to produce two identical helmet molds, one with the holes and one without, is laughable. Originally, the whole point of those helmet attachments were to be able to customize clones. Sure, the helmets don't look the greatest without the attachments but it's not really a big deal. We already have the Mandalorian and Phase 1 Clone helmets with the holes for accessories. Why not Phase 2 Clones? I'm confident that the holeless helmets will almost certainly be phased out once the sets they're still included in are gone. We might even see later production runs of some of those sets like the Republic Fighter Tank or Justifier use the newer mold with the older printing. This "campaign" is pointless and a waste, especially because all these people complaining are going to be buying these clone sets anyway. The 501st movement was in good fun and relatively harmless (perhaps a little obnoxious but at worst, it was just spamming Lego's comment sections and social media accounts), but a lot of these subsequent fan movements have just been flat-out annoying and often come off as entitled to me. 

15 hours ago, Archer said:

I know Obi Wan is not a clone, but the way his cape /robe was done in his new ep II appearance is one of the only times I think lego successfully pulled off the “clothing that wraps around to the side of the legs” look without side printing, dual molding or fabric. Echo, ep IV Obi, and Owen Lars come to mind as failed attempts at this. Obi (ep II) looks better because the legs are the color of the wrap around (in his case brown like the robe). 

Agreed. That newer Obi-Wan is the only one that's fully pulled off that effect without any special printing, dual-molding or fabric. (Though I'm cool with Jedi figures just wearing capes to represent their robes.) 

I thought I heard someone mention the 17th or 18th as the reveal date for these sets. I thought there was no way that would be true but apparently I was wrong. It's just so absurd and arbitrary to wait so long to reveal this stuff. The secrecy is pointless. We've seen just about every detail from this January wave and for other themes, we are already getting into some reveals for March apparently. 

8 hours ago, The Stud said:

We already have the Mandalorian and Phase 1 Clone helmets with the holes for accessories. Why not Phase 2 Clones?

The difference is that the holes on the Mando and Phase I clone helmets are where they are basically meant to be in universe and don't interrupt the overall look of the helmet. On the Phase II helmets, LEGO has gone and added holes above where they are in universe, so the helmet now has two sets of bumps on top of each other. Instead of replacing the existing bumps with holes and making a new visor part to position properly, they've basically add the holes as a concession to the existing visor.

Personally, ever since it first came out I haven't been a huge fan of LEGO's Phase II helmet. Like the Clone Scout Trooper helmet, it's actually too tall proportionally and the chin area is too pronounced. It's a bit better with the modern printing, but still not totally right. This would've been a good time to revamp the whole design instead of awkwardly drilling holes in the wrong place, though that would've caused a different uproar.

3 hours ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

So we have all the official images in great quality, but there's a catch: they weren't revealed by LEGO :tongue:

Still nothing on their website.

Lego are the embodiment of the Surprised Pikachu meme at this point. Really don’t understand the point of holding off this long.   

Excited to get that TIE Bomber!

1 hour ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

With any luck, the new sets are delivered to me tomorrow :excited: Shortest interval between official reveal and purchase I’ve ever experienced!

Where did you order them from?