MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2023 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

58 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

...the officer, I think. For most people, clone with antenna=clone commander. Plus, an ARC would likely have a new helmet mold.

Nah, Lambent Seeker skin.

But yeah as for lego at least a Colbalt ARC would be nice since it'd fit into a legion (501st), and I agree promobricks would have mentioned it.

Other way around, I think. Child was already out but it was the first set with Beskar Mando. I remember it was super popular at the time because of how requested beskar mando was, but now with him everywhere opinion's shifted.

But I totally agree with your overall point. Mando sets don't miss. (It feels wrong to include the ones containing stormtroopers here, but I will)

Such a missed opportunity! 

I guess if the Officer has a cloth pauldron in the game then you’re right. 

You’re also right about Mando sets! (The marauder is good!) 

2 hours ago, ArrowBricks said:

Such a missed opportunity! 

I guess if the Officer has a cloth pauldron in the game then you’re right. 

You’re also right about Mando sets! (The marauder is good!) 

Uhhh, the 501st officer doesn't have a pauldron, but he does have a Kama. We'll see either way I suppose.

Yeah, we've never had a bad mando set. I'm getting the marauder shipped to me soon, but since I'm in college now it might be awhile before I actually get it! (Since when I learned I was getting it I was still at my home address)

8 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Plus, an ARC would likely have a new helmet mold.

Would it? The p2 ARCs have the same helmets as normal troopers, and even if it was a p1 ARC, even though the old mould is far beyond still being in production, I don't think they'd design a new one, they'd probably just bring it back looking exactly the same.

11 hours ago, ArrowBricks said:

Mando sets never usually disappoint. 

Except for Trouble on Tatooine :tongue: Not a bad set as such, but incredibly disappointing they didn‘t include Cobb Vanth. Also, Beskar Mando predictably was only exclusive to it for a couple of months. At least it‘s still a cheap way to get Grogu :shrug_oh_well:

1 minute ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Except for Trouble on Tatooine :tongue: Not a bad set as such, but incredibly disappointing they didn‘t include Cobb Vanth. Also, Beskar Mando predictably was only exclusive to it for a couple of months. At least it‘s still a cheap way to get Grogu :shrug_oh_well:

Yeah, most of the draw was for that beautiful beskar Mando when he was exclusive. I actually ended up buying a second one of it so that I could have a larger Tusken camp, but if you only have one, there's not much point in such a small camp, especially if that's the only Tusken raider you've got. Still, not a bad set, that Tusken ballista is pretty cool (same with the silver spring loaded missile), but probably one of the worst Mando sets.

15 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

First of all, did anyone WANT any of these sets to be replaced with ST sets?

Absolutely. 

I'd kill for more The Last Jedi sets, it's my favourite Star Wars project ever.

Unfortunately, I missed out on Snoke's Throne Room or the Ahch-To set, so I'd happily get more sets based on this movie.

I feel pretty fulfilled with The Force Awakens (Starkiller Base set) and The Rise of Skywalker (nothing, and that's how I'll leave it), but I still want them to release more Sequel Trilogy sets. 

I hate that LEGO has apparently forgotten it exists.

1 hour ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

Absolutely. 

Unfortunately, I missed out on Snoke's Throne Room or the Ahch-To set, so I'd happily get more sets based on this movie.

I feel pretty fulfilled with The Force Awakens (Starkiller Base set) and The Rise of Skywalker (nothing, and that's how I'll leave it), but I still want them to release more Sequel Trilogy sets. 

What in the TLJ could you possibly expect to see that hasn't been made?

6 minutes ago, Darth Malgus said:

A set based on the fathier chase scene springs to mind :classic:

5 minutes ago, Darth Malgus said:

I remember those horse aliens in a 3d render Lego animation made people think that they were coming but they never did.

But people are saying all this about no sequel sets, but what about no spinoff movie sets! Rogue one and Solo deserve more, especially with rogue one polling as the most popular 'disney era' star wars film among fans, and though it's mostly only adult fans that answer polls Lego do alot of stuff aimed at adults... So more rogue please and I'd like more solo stuff too .

16 minutes ago, Darth Malgus said:

We've gotten how many Luke's Landspeeders? Ten? Twenty? :tongue:

9 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

I remember when LEGO included moulded Fathiers in a video, and everyone thought we'd be getting a set with them. Would've been so cool. Canto Bight looked so good (even if that whole subplot was a bit unnecessary).

30 minutes ago, Agent Kallus said:

So more rogue please and I'd like more solo stuff too .

Exactly! Galen Erso, Saw Gerrera, Dryden Vos, and L3-37 still being absent is mind-boggling :wacko: Most of them wouldn‘t even require new moulds!

Also, speaking of Galen: why do they keep denying us a glorious Mads Mikkelsen minifig?! If we don‘t get a minifig of his IJ5 character, he must be cursed or something :tongue:

I doubt if the ST will have the same long term impact as the PT has been having. Not just movies have changed but people as well. But even though the sequels were definitely NOT my cup of tea, it would be nice for the people who like them to have some additional sets. As would the occasional release of a set from RO and Solo, as well as Rebels.

As for the PT, I'd maintain a very strict distinction between the trilogy and TCW. Even though they are from the same era so to speak, there were tons of vehicles and character that did appear in TCW, but not in the PT. I'm still waiting for a Gian speeder to accompany my 7124 Flash speeder by the way.

But I like it that for a few years now, the waves did not have an all too heavy focus on just one movie/show. And the fact that, with the TIE bomber, it's clear that vehicles with less screentime are still on the table as set possibilities; still waiting for an ARC 170 fighter remake.

I would like a wave entirely dedicated to Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II by the way. That would 

• sell very poorly;
  • mark the first time I would own all sets from one wave since the 1999 winter wave and therefore
  • make my wife very angry with me;
  • be entirely worth it.

I am glad my prediction of a new tie line a few months ago came true, I suspected the tie being kept for one more year on the shelves as well as being scaled down to an affordable scale would mean something.  I can't say the minifigure selection is good though, I hope it is a mistake, maybe it contains Andor minifigs that are kept confidential due to the show not releasing yet, so they label them as vader and gnk droid.  I dont see how a gnk droid would fit in, I never see gnk droids used by imperials.  I do hope this means that there is a tie interceptor coming too, that is still 16 years overdue, despite them making multiple micro versions, I dont think the major vonreg one really counts.  

As for the UCS set, I hope this means we finally get a fortress inquisitorius but this is pure speculation, would be possible to make an additional kenobi and fallen order set based off it and since the fallen order game was targeted towards adults it would make sense for a ucs fallen order set.

5 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Exactly! Galen Erso, Saw Gerrera, Dryden Vos, and L3-37 still being absent is mind-boggling :wacko: Most of them wouldn‘t even require new moulds!

Also, speaking of Galen: why do they keep denying us a glorious Mads Mikkelsen minifig?! If we don‘t get a minifig of his IJ5 character, he must be cursed or something :tongue:

I for one would like to see a tie reaper, but then again i think its better to have the fallen order version with the 9th sister

On 8/21/2022 at 6:22 AM, Graupensuppe said:

In the 2020 interview they didn't expect a TIE Bomber to sell well at all and called it too niche for a regular set.

Yet they make a $170 Justifier set

Overall thoughts: 

Pass on the microfighter (great to get Boba cheaper!). I never get those sets anyways. Pass on Brickheadz, not for me. I was tempted with Ahsoka, but does not fit my personal collection. 

Both Mando sets depend on what they are and how well I like the show at that point. 

Tie Bomber is great, don't mind the figures but worried about scale still. 

Helmets are tempting, but again probably don't fit my personal collection. 

Dioramas I really like, depends on how they look. I like the other dioramas but are too expensive right now. 

UCS, really would like to get this one. I have not picked up the May set since 2019, passed on the A-Wing, R2-D2, and Landspeeder. So we shall see...

My thoughts:

-Slave one microfighter was my main wish item, so I'm happy! I made a MOC of the Slave One which still needs a Boba figure accompanying it;

- The 501st battlepack is nice, maybe it comes with commander Appo? And there is still hope for a 212th accessory pack;

- TIE Bomber is another great choice (20 years!);

- The 18+ sets are not for my taste, but the Rex and Cody helmets are good news;

- It would be great if the $35 Mando set was a season 1 set with Kuill and Blurrg;

15 hours ago, AD_Bricks said:

Would it? The p2 ARCs have the same helmets as normal troopers, and even if it was a p1 ARC, even though the old mould is far beyond still being in production, I don't think they'd design a new one, they'd probably just bring it back looking exactly the same.

True, I did forget about that. Either way, my money's still on it being the officer, it just fits better.

As for the mold, I think it would classify as a new mold even if it was pretty much the same. Based on some remarks about the goat mold  by one of the designers (he was asked if it would ever come back and he said something like "since the .stl files still exist, it's possible" which implies that the physical molds really do get destroyed like some have claimed. The cost of a new mold isn't making a .stl file of a part, it's the multi-hundred-thousand dollar molds they need to make for it.

15 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

I assume Cobb wasn't included because they didn't know he would be in the show. He wasn't exactly in the marketing much, and if you look at the mando S2 sets, the first one with "Guest star" type spoiler-ish characters didn't release until over a year after the episode aired.

13 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

I am going to become the joker.

17 hours ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

Absolutely. 

As much as I kinda dislike the sequels I agree that we need more sets based on them specially a b wing, not headless AT ST and FO battlepack! 

Does anyone know if the new clone troopers in the new 501st battle pack will be regular 501st troopers with molded or cloth attachments? Cause I really hope they do it like in the 2009 clone walker set where they are all just refs with no pauldron shoulder pad or kamma printing and that they include the pauldrons  kammas and the helmet attachments separately. I also want them to have regular 501st printing and not the different weird printing they have in battlefront 2. Does anyone know if they wil indeed be 501st regs without pauldron kamma or battlefront 2 skins printing?

8 minutes ago, Matichado said:

As much as I kinda dislike the sequels I agree that we need more sets based on them specially a b wing, not headless AT ST and FO battlepack! 

Does anyone know if the new clone troopers in the new 501st battle pack will be regular 501st troopers with molded or cloth attachments? Cause I really hope they do it like in the 2009 clone walker set where they are all just refs with no pauldron shoulder pad or kamma printing and that they include the pauldrons  kammas and the helmet attachments separately. I also want them to have regular 501st printing and not the different weird printing they have in battlefront 2. Does anyone know if they wil indeed be 501st regs without pauldron kamma or battlefront 2 skins printing?

Unique prints, most likely. 

1 hour ago, Matichado said:

The AT-ST would actually be pretty nice to have in a couple years. Lego's seemingly bumped having some form of AT-ST up to that Landspeeder/x-wing/tie level of near-evergreen (2016-debatably 2018-2019-2022), so I would expect us to see another in 2025 at the latest. And a FO AT-ST would be a nice way to get something different, plus it's a cool design. The B-wing I could take or leave. I think we should get a new Rebel one first since it's been almost a decade, so I'm fine waiting awhile for one. Same with the FO battle pack... sure, it's been 3 or 4 years, but on the other hand we had quite a few within a short timeframe, and FO troopers are pretty cheap on bricklink, so I'm not exactly hoping that that's the next BP.

1 hour ago, Matichado said:

Uh, a few things here. First, we don't know, but my guess is prints. I agree that cloth/plastic would be better, but it's more expensive as well, and I suppose I'd take a $20 BP with printed parts over a $25 one with cloth and molded kamas. (Jeez, a $25 battle pack. We better see prices go down if/when inflation goes down and supply lines get better, or the hobby's going to get too expensive for me to stick with.)

I have no idea what you mean by "different weird printing". Excluding the pauldrons/kamas/etc, the only ones with differences are the heavies' helmets, and I'm not sure how "weird" that is. 

Overall, I don't think promobricks has specified, but just expect 2 heavies, a sniper, and an officer from BF2 with printing for the heavies' pauldrons and maybe the kamas too.

1 hour ago, ArrowBricks said:

Unique prints, most likely. 

I agree. I hope we get printed Kamas, but I wouldn't bet on it.

On 8/21/2022 at 4:50 PM, Mandalorianknight said:

Exactly. I'd say a good 90% of people here generally want clone stuff when saying we need more prequel stuff, at least that and separatist droids (For the two of you who I know are going to say no, stop typing. They aren't realistically making Can-cells, a coruscant air taxi, or a new wookie caterman). And we've been getting at least a lot of clones.

It is weird. I mean, it's been 10 years since Dooku, and even characters like vader are generally in expensive stuff. They had the transformation chamber and pod back in... 2017? and those were godsends, but even today Vader, Palpatine, etc are pretty expensive.

Yes, I am in the camp of desiring clone war stuff, and prequel stuff in general. So many sets they could churn out that I'd buy most likely... UCS Podracers, Zam's Speeder chase, Jango's Slave 1... the list goes on. I have to imagine LEGO is going to release a bunch of PT sets in the coming years as the well of OT runs dry. Then again, nothing seems to prevent perpetual re-releases of OT stuff lol

Even though I prefer getting more sets based off the new content coming out (along with some new prequel sets sprinkled in as that was the smallest part of my Star Wars collection for a while), I’d still like to see more waves like the summer 2020 where there was something for everybody. There were sets for OT, PT/TCW, ST, Mando and even Galaxy’s Edge fans. The Galaxy’s Edge set was obviously a one-off but that was the last wave that really had any ST sets that weren’t 4+ junk. It’s just a bit of a bummer, even if those films weren’t everyone’s cup of tea.

19 hours ago, Darth Malgus said:

For 18+ sets, they could do a better version of Snoke’s Throne Room, the Luke vs Kylo Ren scene or the Force Ghost Yoda scene. For normal playsets, they could do the Resistance escape transports, Tallie’s A-Wing and a Ski Speeder remake without all the side builds. Maybe also a proper First Order AT-ST too.

On 8/22/2022 at 7:50 AM, Mandalorianknight said:

Exactly. I'd say a good 90% of people here generally want clone stuff when saying we need more prequel stuff, at least that and separatist droids (For the two of you who I know are going to say no, stop typing. They aren't realistically making Can-cells, a coruscant air taxi, or a new wookie caterman). And we've been getting at least a lot of clones.

It is weird. I mean, it's been 10 years since Dooku, and even characters like vader are generally in expensive stuff. They had the transformation chamber and pod back in... 2017? and those were godsends, but even today Vader, Palpatine, etc are pretty expensive.

I don't think anyone is realistically expecting or even wanting a new Air Taxi or Wookiee Catamaran in this day and age. Those niche prequel vehicles are definitely a thing of the past! :laugh_hard:

But while new clones are great, I do think its important to remember they are not the only thing that matters from the prequel era. Many fans have been long requesting for sets such as the Royal Starship, Geonosis Arena, Jedi Temple/Council Chamber and remakes of Jango Fett's Slave I and Bounty Hunter Pursuit. None of those are unreasonable requests given their prominence in the films. And while Lego has been doing an amazing job filling out a lot of missing gaps in its minifigure lineup, there is still a long listed of notable key characters that still haven't been covered from the prequels yet such as Boss Nass and Shmi Skywalker. I think its important that these other parts of the prequel era are also recognized and not just neglected.

The release of the AT-TE and Obi-Wan's Jedi Starfighter was great as it acknowledges both sides of the prequel era (the clone stuff and everything else). As long as we continue to get both that's all one can ask. :classic:

4 hours ago, wesker said:

I don't think anyone is realistically expecting or even wanting a new Air Taxi or Wookiee Catamaran in this day and age. Those niche prequel vehicles are definitely a thing of the past! :laugh_hard:

Please don't say that :cry_sad:

My thoughts on the wave:

Slave 1 Microfighter: a solid if unsurprising pick, good to see it finally getting the microfighter treatment and will be interesting to see how the shape of the ship is done in this form. Continues the trend of being an easy way to pick up a popular character if you don't have them already from elsewhere.

501st Battlepack: As an OT fan clone legions aren't for me, but I'm happy for the people who get to add some variation to the large 501st armies they already have. It's a pity we seem to be getting only one battlepack per year now, would be nice to have either a complementary pack to this one or something from a different era. Either way, this'll never see the light of day in Aus :head_back:

TIE Bomber: Easily the set I'm most looking forward to, and possibly the only set I'll pick up from the wave. Not too fussed about what figures are included, I'm mostly here for the builds, so anything beyond a TIE pilot is a bonus.

Helmets: Great that they are finally getting away from the OT, Rex and Cody will probably walk off the shelves. Having said that, I'm hoping that the unrevealed helmet is Boushh; that could be an interesting build.

Mando S3: Wait and see what they end up being, personally I'm hoping they get away from every set needing to include Mando and/or Grogu (e.g. like the Marauder)

Dioramas: I'm not a fan of these, personally I'd like to see more playsets in this wave and while this is only the second iteration of dioramas, there seems to be an emerging trend of these taking the place of location based playsets. Maybe making these locations as dioramas gives the designer more options, like the mechanism in the Trash Compactor, which will hopefully show up in the Speeder Bike set, or more terrain options for Yoda's Hut. I'm struggling to see what the Final Duel diorama can do that wasn't done two years ago though. Funnily enough the one diorama that I do like (but still didn't buy) is the Trench Run, because it did something that wouldn't otherwise be possible as a traditional location set.

Overall a good balanced wave, the main omission being nothing (so far) from Andor. Given the show premieres next month, barring early leaks any potential new Andor set would be unlikely to spoil the show by the time official winter wave pics would be revealed, and if there's nothing Andor related until the next summer wave, that's a long time after the first season has ended. Either TLG is taking a wait and see approach, or they simply weren't given much advance material to work with apart from the set already available.