Jim

[TC23] Great Ball Contraption Contest - Information Topic

I was a bit reluctant to do a GBC contest, but I am glad we are doing it. I love GBC's, so I love to see what people will build. And I am definitely looking forward to seeing the contraptions made by our "non GBC builders".

1 hour ago, Erik Leppen said:

So I hope to enter, but I'm 100% a novice in this theme :D

I sure hope you do. And I'm sure you will succeed in making a cool contraption.

7 hours ago, Berthil said:

We are very much looking forward to see what 'GBC novices' come up with bringing experiences from area's they are familiar with and translate this to a GBC :)

These are very much my thoughts also, as a GBC novice. I know you and a few other members of this forum can come up with awesome new GBC machines repeatedly, but seeing all the other skilled builders (like Erik) who are nevertheless not experienced with GBC-making doing their entries should be really interesting.

I personally have two ideas which are completely different, one of which I already started to build. Too bad I can't enter twice, but at the same time I'm glad there's that other idea in case the first one won't work out.

57 minutes ago, howitzer said:

I personally have two ideas which are completely different, one of which I already started to build. Too bad I can't enter twice, but at the same time I'm glad there's that other idea in case the first one won't work out.

If this contest turns out to be a success, there might a sequel :laugh:

Building a GBC is completely new for me, but it's tempting to join this contest. First thing is to order some balls, looked at Bricklink, but these balls are relatively expensive for a GBC rookie :grin:.

Then found this article: https://www.planet-gbc.com/get-started-with-gbc/get-the-gbc-balls/ the "Quercetti Marbles Refill" seems a cheap and readily available alternative.

Any experiences or tips around this subject? Thnks!

Just ordered 100 Quercetti's. Should be here within 2days, first time I'm going to make a GBC. If it doesn't work out, I'll just program my giant robot arm to pick up the inbox and throw it out a window :laugh:

Later I can always try to add it to my logistics center. Sorting the balls by color, loading them on pallets and store them in the high bay warehouse. Will need to see if they can handle 30balls per pallet.

Edit: Balls received  36hours after order, here we go designing my first GBC!

Edited by Mr Jos

Yeah, finally a GBC contest! I am excited to see what our talented members will come up with. 

Actually Iam busy building my music studio within my mancave and Iam planing to spend more time in the GBC thing later that year. So this will be a good source of Inspiration. 

This looks like a fun contest, and I just so happen to have a bunch of balls that I got from a LUG I used to be part of.  

I’m in the middle of a move, so I’m not sure I’d be able to participate, but it looks fun!  I’ve never built a GBC either. 

I haven't been following the contest lately, so I wonder what the status is?

I think you can safely unlock the entries topic. There are 6 topics with people who have ventured into interesting mechanism, either in extreme size, new kinds of lifting mechanisms, or interesting amounts of torque being applied to axles.

I just today got my new sorting/storage system on top of my building table so there's a small chance that I could actually finish my entry in time. Too bad it won't be nearly as fancy as I had hoped to make.

If there are more people trying to finish their entries, we can extend the contest for a week or two.

33 minutes ago, Jim said:

If there are more people trying to finish their entries, we can extend the contest for a week or two.

Gives me more time to try and make a decent video, something I am not good at.

Deadline date is Monday, November 14th, 2022. Contest will be closed on Tuesday 15th of November, OR LATER.

22 hours ago, Jim said:

Deadline date is Monday, November 14th, 2022. Contest will be closed on Tuesday 15th of November, OR LATER.

Thank you! I have a couple of days off before that so there's hope of getting something finished!

3 hours ago, Milan said:

We will close the entry topic soon.
Please double check your entry post to make sure it is finished.

@higgins91 Please add one or more pictures
@howitzer Please add a video

I thought I had already, but apparently hadn't. Anyway, it's there now, thanks for the heads up.

34 minutes ago, howitzer said:

Anyway, it's there now, thanks for the heads up

Thanks! Good luck!