Jim

[TC23] Great Ball Contraption Contest - Information Topic

TECHNIC GREAT BALL CONTRAPTION CONTEST

DESCRIPTION
Design a Great Ball Contraption model.

DEADLINE
Deadline date is Monday, November 14th, 2022. Contest will be closed on Tuesday 15th of November, OR LATER.

Disclaimer: I will close the contest when I see fit and when I have the time to process the results. This can be later than the deadline date. Please don't complain about this not being fair and all.

RULES AND REGULATIONS
The following section describes the contest specific and general rules and regulations. But before that, please take notice of a simple motto regarding the Eurobricks Contests:

CONTESTS ARE FOR FUN!

Of course there's competition, but at the end of the day, LEGO is just a hobby and the main goal for each of us is to have fun!

CONTEST SPECIFIC RULES AND REGULATIONS

• Machine speed guideline is one ball per second including ball spills (a spilled ball is not counted).
  • Inbox maximum of 10 bricks high and minimum of 10 studs wide (example below).
  • Inbox and machine must be able to handle a ball batch of minimum of 30 balls in one go, drop 30 balls in the Inbox (should be in the final video).
  • Machine ball exit must be able to drop balls in the specified inbox and/or drop balls back in its own Inbox without spilling balls (example below). If the exit is a batch of balls, the batch cannot be more than 30 balls in one go.
  • 'One on One' copies of existing mechanisms as main mechanism not permitted. Derivatives of existing mechanisms enhanced with own designs permitted. Use of existing mechanisms in ball preparation permitted (e.g. steppers).
  • The design can be a mix of System and Technic, but not entirely System.
  • Only builds with real bricks permitted but initial design can be supported by a digital design.
  • Use LEGO 14 mm balls (x45) and 3rd party 14mm balls permitted (no odd ball sizes).
  • Machine can be manual or powered by a motor.
  • Electronics (PF elements, SBricks and Mindstorms) are permitted.
  • 3rd party PF motors are permitted.
  • Pneumatics are permitted.
  • Cutting pneumatic hoses is permitted.
  • 3rd party strings, hoses and rubber bands are permitted.
  • LEDs are permitted.

GENERAL RULES AND REGULATIONS

• The contest is open to all EB members (also new members).
  • Members who joined EB after the start of the contest can be banned from voting (when vote rigging is suspected).
  • Voting rules will be explained later in the voting topic.
  • One entry per member.
  • Entries need to be new (never posted anywhere previously or shown at an event/LUG meeting).
  • Only physical builds, so no LDD or other virtual entry.
  • If you have any doubts about the suitability of your entry contact me, or Milan.
  • All entries are to include only real LEGO. No clone brands, 3rd party parts, or digital entries allowed.
  • Custom stickers are allowed.
  • No cutting, sculpting or modifying parts.
  • Entries are to be placed in the entry topic in this forum.
  • Entries not in the entry topic are not eligible for voting.
  • The entry post may be edited at any time up to the end of the contest, so feel free to make improvements if you wish.
  • The contest might be closed later than the deadline. Don't complain about this not being fair.
  • You have enough time to build. Don't ask for more time.
  • We reserve the right to disqualify any entry that does not follow these rules.
  • These rules can be changed whenever we see fit to ensure that people follow the intent of the contest.
  • Staff members are not eligible for winning prizes.

WHAT DO I NEED TO ENTER?

All participant need to create a discussion topic and create a post in the entry topic.

DISCUSSION TOPIC

• A discussion topic starting with [TC23].
  • A discussion topic needs to show some actual progress (i.e. pictures of the build in progress) and should not be used to "reserve an idea".

ENTRY POST

The entry post in the entry topic should contain:

• Entry name
  • Short summary of the functions.
  • One or more images (max 4).  You can have combined pictures (4 in 1) as long as the picture isn't bigger than 1024x1024.
  • Embedded Youtube video (mandatory)
  • Link to the discussion topic

PRIZES
We are working on prizes. No guarantees, but we will try to work something out.

A bit later than expected, but I have managed to start the topic before my vacation. @Berthil has volunteered to host the contest and @Lasse D and @9v Systems are around to assist him. Since I am on a holiday @Milan will be around as staff member to keep an eye on things. We are working on some prizes (think about instructions to GBC's, accessoires etc). Not sure if it will work out, but we will do our best. 

The rules are semi-final, but they can be adjusted if things aren't clear. Be gentle on our volunteers hehe.

You have waited for this contest for quite some time, so I am really looking forward to seeing all the entries!

24 minutes ago, Jim said:

The design can be a mix of System and Technic.

Can I use only system brick for build fully working module if it is possible?

6 minutes ago, msk6003 said:

Can I use only system brick for build fully working module if it is possible?

Since this is the Technic forum, we do like to see some Technic in it. 

Are train gbc permitted as train cars & reverser are gbc standard and power the actual ball module ?

Doug 

Edited by doug72

9 minutes ago, doug72 said:

Are train gbc permitted as train cars & reverser are gbc standard and power the actual all ball module ?

Doug 

I will step out now and leave this one to the experts :laugh: :tongue:

@Berthil ?

54 minutes ago, doug72 said:

Are train gbc permitted as train cars & reverser are gbc standard and power the actual all ball module ?

Doug 

Yes. This competition does not disallow use of trains. You are supposed to have fun and come up with new and interesting GBC-modules, so if you have a great idea that involves train-parts as the main mechanism, then go for it.

1 hour ago, doug72 said:

Are train gbc permitted as train cars & reverser are gbc standard and power the actual ball module ?

Sure, if it follows the rule of 1 ball per second and max 30 balls as well as the minimum of 10 studs wide inbox and maximum of 10 bricks high. So it can be wider or can be lower, it cannot be narrower and not higher.

Here are is an example of and Inbox so that it is clear. The entry height and width is important here, and that it can hold 30 balls at once. This example is mostly out of System and Technic Bricks but 100% studless is also no problem. As you can see the sides are higher but the entry point is 10 studs wide (leaving a gap of eight studs) and 10 bricks high.

48667639383_b97c4abbf5_c.jpg

This example is wider that 10 studs, no problem as long it is not higher than 10 bricks.

51862532264_4bdb8a181a_c.jpg

This example is both lower and wider, no problems here:

34681638733_90135f3aa8_c.jpg

The goal of this GBC compliant inbox is to be able to put multiple machines in an endless circle or straight line.

Edited by Berthil
Added example

20 minutes ago, Berthil said:

Sure, if it follows the rule of 1 ball per second and max 30 balls as well as the minimum of 10 wide inbox and maximum of 10 high.

Thanks for confirming that, Time to put my thinking cap on !,

Uh oh, I'm planning to move sometime in the next two months, so there will be packing, unpacking and a lot of other related hassles. Still, this is the contest I have been waiting for ages and I have a couple of ideas so I will make every effort to participate.

One question: how are the spilled balls judged in the contest? I assume reliability (both not jamming and not spilling balls) is important consideration, but is there a minimum (less than 1/100 balls spilled? less than 1/1000?) where I should aim in order to be eligible?

Another question: are there any limits in terms of size, complexity or number of different mechanisms? What about limits on balls inside the mechanism, assuming some are required for it to work properly? 10, 100, 1000?

1 minute ago, howitzer said:

Another question: are there any limits in terms of size, complexity or number of different mechanisms? What about limits on balls inside the mechanism, assuming some are required for it to work properly? 10, 100, 1000?

There are some ball regulations in the rules. Do they provide the answer you are looking for?

Just now, Jim said:

There are some ball regulations in the rules. Do they provide the answer you are looking for?

Not exactly, they specify it must be able to handle minimum of 30 balls, but what if some much bigger number is required to make the machine work at all, is that a problem?

2 minutes ago, howitzer said:

Not exactly, they specify it must be able to handle minimum of 30 balls, but what if some much bigger number is required to make the machine work at all, is that a problem?

Okay. I will leave that one for the experts. 

Minimum of 30 balls at once in the Inbox. Machine runs at 1 ball per second. So theoretically after 30 seconds inbox is empty.
If you have a large module where balls stay longer than 30 seconds just add more balls to the inbox.
The 30 at once in the Inbox is a minimum, a larger Inbox that can have 100 balls at once is also okay as long as it adheres to the Inbox ball entry rules.

Size of machine is up to you but the machine should pass on at one ball per second rate or at the maximum batch size of 30 to pass on but then every 30 seconds. Or something in between but end result is one ball per second. These 1 ball per second and maximum batch of thirty rules are there so a machine behaves when put in a circle with other machines. Although there is no 'reliability' rule, the machine only needs to adhere to the rules in the video and not e.g. for 2 hours.

About the spilled balls. generally this does not look attractive and makes it hard to achieve the 1 ball per second rule as spilled balls are not counted. There is no rule about spilled balls, I expect a machine das spills a lot of bals will get less votes as it basically fails at being a good GBC machine.

I hope that answers the question. 

Edited by Berthil

54 minutes ago, Berthil said:

Minimum of 30 balls at once in the Inbox. Machine runs at 1 ball per second. So theoretically after 30 seconds inbox is empty.
If you have a large module where balls stay longer than 30 seconds just add more balls to the inbox.
The 30 at once in the Inbox is a minimum, a larger Inbox that can have 100 balls at once is also okay as long as it adheres to the Inbox ball entry rules.

Size of machine is up to you but the machine should pass on at one ball per second rate or at the maximum batch size of 30 to pass on but then every 30 seconds. Or something in between but end result is one ball per second. These 1 ball per second and maximum batch of thirty rules are there so a machine behaves when put in a circle with other machines. Although there is no 'reliability' rule, the machine only needs to adhere to the rules in the video and not e.g. for 2 hours.

About the spilled balls. generally this does not look attractive and makes it hard to achieve the 1 ball per second rule as spilled balls are not counted. There is no rule about spilled balls, I expect a machine das spills a lot of bals will get less votes as it basically fails at being a good GBC machine.

I hope that answers the question. 

Thanks for the clarifications. I will think of more questions when I have done some thinking and maybe testing on my ideas :excited:

4 hours ago, Jim said:

Since this is the Technic forum, we do like to see some Technic in it. 

Of course it work as like other GBC module. Only it will make using only system brick(more precisely, parts that do not have technic in their names, except for some parts).

I planned use 1 motor and 1 axle. And every other parts will don't have 'technic' in there name acroding to stud.io.

11 minutes ago, msk6003 said:

Of course it work as like other GBC module. Only it will make using only system brick(more precisely, parts that do not have technic in their names, except for some parts).

I planned use 1 motor and 1 axle. And every other parts will don't have 'technic' in there name acroding to stud.io.

Not sure which parts do or do not have Technic in their name, but the GBC contraption should have more than just a motor and a single axle. Check out the examples above. And you can use more system parts than the examples above, but the model needs to be "mostly" Technic.

7 hours ago, Jim said:

Not sure which parts do or do not have Technic in their name, but the GBC contraption should have more than just a motor and a single axle. Check out the examples above. And you can use more system parts than the examples above, but the model needs to be "mostly" Technic.

sigh I wanted to keep it a secret, but I'll be more specific. I plan to use splat gears. Theoretically, with these gears, you can create a fully functional GBC module with only a pure system brick, except for the motor and one axle and even if I use 71427 or 43362 I can remove that axle.

Edited by msk6003

5 hours ago, msk6003 said:

sigh I wanted to keep it a secret, but I'll be more specific. I plan to use splat gears. Theoretically, with these gears, you can create a fully functional GBC module with only a pure system brick, except for the motor and one axle and even if I use 71427 or 43362 I can remove that axle.

I like the idea, but let's stick to Technic for this contest.

5 hours ago, msk6003 said:

I believe you can use splat gears and all the associated stuff for mechanics, while using Technic parts as structural elements. And remember, Technic bricks are perfectly valid for Technic construction.

Please let me show two 'extremes' as an example, the first is from Rimo and relies on almost studless only, the second from JK Brickworks and uses a lot os System bricks and splat gears but has some Technic. Both are GBCs. @Jim, something like the one from JK Brickworks would qualify for you?

Edited by Berthil

Very excited for this contest! I will first have to move a to a new place and then I can start building my idea!

1 hour ago, Berthil said:

Please let me show two 'extremes' as an example, the first is from Rimo and relies on almost studless only, the second from JK Brickworks and uses a lot os System bricks and splat gears but has some Technic. Both are GBCs. @Jim, something like the one from JK Brickworks would qualify for you?

You are the boss captain! You decide! :laugh: :tongue:

I'm definely fine with the second one. Use all the system bricks you want to decorate the contraption, but at least use Technic for the mechanisms. I really LOVE that second one btw :wub:

This will be hard.

Chance is, I bought a few of those balls just a month ago, mostly because I was sorting out a lot of old system bricks and I was thinking, what could I do with those? and then I thoguth about someone on a meeting who told me "maybe you could try GBC one time, I think you'll enjoy it" so for preparation I bought a few balls and tried building something. But man, this is hard if you have never done this before!

So I hope to enter, but I'm 100% a novice in this theme :D

Edited by Erik Leppen

2 minutes ago, Erik Leppen said:

This will be hard ...

So I hope to enter, but I'm 100% a novice in this theme :D

We are very much looking forward to see what 'GBC novices' come up with bringing experiences from area's they are familiar with and translate this to a GBC :)

Edited by Berthil