A new project I started working on. It'll be a model of a classic dump truck, with a pickup truck style body and two axles. It'll be something similar to the following: https://www.thedrive.com/news/33102/ive-already-been-humbled-by-my-55-year-old-ford-dump-truck

So far I've only done some preliminary Stud.io modeling, but I already have a general idea for the cab. The model will feature a lime green cab with a gray or black dump bed, two axles with pendular suspension, and BuWizz (not for speed, but to save space as the battery/controller are all in one unit), a fake engine with mini cylinders under the opening hood, and lights. I'll either use the tires from the 42122 Jeep or the the tire/rim combination from the 10279 VW Camper Van and 10290 Pickup Truck.

I've wanted to make a lime MOC for a while now (haven't made one since my CLAAS Challenger 95E MOC from 2018). I've expanded my collection of lime pieces a bit after getting the 42138 Mustang set at BrickFair this year, so I decided to make at least the cab for this model in lime. I'm definitely planning to further expand my lime collection in the future, especially with pieces from the 42115 Lamborghini Sian set.

Photos:

i5HHERK.jpg

hv0uWrD.jpg

nFODdFU.jpg

Edited by JLiu15

Very interesting project, I do like a dump truck. You might have trouble going this small. (from previous experience, it was long. though it was a few years ago and I'm not very smart at making small stuff) Not to sure on the lime but the cab looks nice. Best of luck.

Edited by Jayden

21 hours ago, Jayden said:

You might have trouble going this small.

The scale should be around the same as the 42098 Car Transporter, judging by the wheel arches and tires used. And speaking of that set, I might just go with the rim/tire combination from the 10279/10290 sets.

21 hours ago, Jayden said:

Not to sure on the lime

Tbh I just wanted to build something in lime because I've been wanting to build another lime MOC for the longest time and finally have sufficient lime pieces lol. I might also try it in red, although I've built plenty of red MOCs already lol.

1 hour ago, JLiu15 said:

The scale should be around the same as the 42098 Car Transporter, judging by the wheel arches and tires used. And speaking of that set, I might just go with the rim/tire combination from the 10279/10290 sets.

I tried for a similar size to you but it ended up as long as the car transporter's truck (guess because I don't have the car tranporter)

5 hours ago, JLiu15 said:

Tbh I just wanted to build something in lime because I've been wanting to build another lime MOC for the longest time and finally have sufficient lime pieces lol. I might also try it in red, although I've built plenty of red MOCs already lol.

Understandable, but the discoloration of lime pieces put me of lime.

UPDATE 8/15/22

Made plenty of changes to the cab and got some work done on the chassis. I've changed the color to red - I'll make a lime MOC another day. It's also got a white trim (bumpers, side steps, and grille) for a more classic look. The doors now look more complete with a "frame" around the window, the area behind the cab has been shortened by one stud, and the roof is covered with tiles to hide the pin holes and make the roof look slightly higher.

It's not a big MOC, but I managed to fit all the motors and mechanisms I need in there. Under the hood is a V6 engine with mini pistons connected to the drivetrain (similar to the one on the 42098 Car Transporter, but in gray). Because of the space taken by the fake engine, the servo motor for the steering sits right under the cab. Immediately behind the cab sits two L motors side by side - the left one for drive and the right one for dumping. This allows the chassis to be as space efficient as possible.

I did have to make the front axle fixed due to not having enough space for a pendular suspension. The fake engine took up more space than I expected. I should still be able to incorporate a pendular suspension on the rear axle though, depending on if the rear of the chassis can remain rigid enough.

Photos:

b0ww4DZ.jpg

snZTshF.jpg

GSQN4Ot.jpg

Is4agig.jpg

Edited by JLiu15

1 hour ago, JLiu15 said:

Made plenty of changes to the cab and got some work done on the chassis. I've changed the color to red - I'll make a lime MOC another day.

No! I wasn't telling you to go off the lime, I was saying I don't like lime because of the discoloration but you didn't have to change the colour for me! I am sure other people like the lime more than I don't like it.

The truck is coming along nicely though.

Coming along nicely, you definitely captured the classic look, reminds me of a older International Harvester style truck.

7 hours ago, Jayden said:

No! I wasn't telling you to go off the lime, I was saying I don't like lime because of the discoloration but you didn't have to change the colour for me! I am sure other people like the lime more than I don't like it.

The truck is coming along nicely though.

It actually won't be possible for me to go back to lime now, lol. Some pieces I used after redesigning the cab (e.g. the thin 1x5 liftarms with axle holes), don't exist in lime, so I won't be able to build it in lime now lol. Tbh red is a pretty good color for a classic pickup-style vehicle.

9 hours ago, JLiu15 said:

so I won't be able to build it in lime now lol.

Oh ok.

9 hours ago, JLiu15 said:

Tbh red is a pretty good color for a classic pickup-style vehicle.

Yes indeed.

Edited by Jayden

UPDATE 8/17/22

I've finished designing the model in Stud.io, for the most part. It has everything except the linear actuator for lifting the cargo hold, the BuWizz attachment, and attachment points for the brick on the PF LEDs. The model has a red and white cab with a dark bluish gray cargo hold. The rear axle features pendular suspension (unsprung, since the front axle is fixed).

Honestly, I might go for a different color scheme for the model. Currently I don't have a lot of the red and DBG parts needed for the model, and some of them are quite expensive. For instance, the 2x3x1 panel in red only has two listings on BL as of right now, and costs $7.95 a piece for the US listing. I could use Bricks & Pieces instead, but I'm not sure if it's available there and shipping can take 6+ weeks in my experience. I might consider a white cab with black cargo hold, as this color scheme will require much less orders of new pieces.

Photos:

5TEPJTS.jpg

GqMFKbR.jpg

Edited by JLiu15

I realise that this is not a direct model more a "classic" however for me the bottom of the dump bed needs to drop at least 3 studs.. it's way to high in space.

You could cheat by doing a false bottom bed if height over the chassis is an issue. 

UPDATE 8/18/22

I've decided to recolor the model to orange. The cargo hold has also been recolored to black. This reduces the number of pieces I'll have to order for the model, and it allows me to use the 3x11 curved panel with more pin holes to allow for stronger connections, especially where the cargo hold attaches to the bottom frame where the linear actuator is connected to.

As for recoloring the model to orange, there will still be some parts I'll have to order, but it at least avoids having to buy 6 2x3x1 panels in red for nearly $8 each, lol. It's also been 3 years since I built an orange MOC, so it would be nice to create something in orange again. I got the 42038 Arctic Truck set at BrickFair this year, so that'll also provide me with some more orange pieces.

Because I designed the model in Stud.io before getting to the actual build, I'll likely make instructions for it. However, the cargo hold wold have to be shown in the up position. This is because the large LA is by default in the extended position in Stud.io. I could've used the new black LA from the 42131 set, which is shown in the retracted position, but the LA actually doesn't retract all the way when the cargo hold is fully lowered. While this may be negligible due to play in the system, it prevents me from properly designing the mechanism in Stud.io if I have the cargo hold in the down position. I know someone created custom extendable LAs for Stud.io, but I never really figured out how to get those pieces to work. It'll also mean the LAs show up as separate pieces in the instructions which could cause confusion for the builder. Leaving it in the up position will also make it easier to see where to insert the axle that'll attach the upper end of the LA to the cargo hold.

Piece count according to Stud.io is 1313 pieces. Note that this doesn't include the LEDs (which are not available in Stud.io), the attachment points for the 2x2 brick in the middle of the LEDs' wire, and the BuWizz (now a LEGO element but still a part for this MOC). Final piece count should be around this number.

Photos:

U4EAE3Z.jpg

IMH9CxG.jpg

Edited by JLiu15

I like the black bed better than the gray one. And the orange makes it look sort of rusty which I like. Good choice on the colour change.:thumbup:

7 hours ago, JLiu15 said:

and the BuWizz

Did you need a stud.io file with philo's buwizz? BM_BW3_BW2.io

16 hours ago, Jayden said:

I like the black bed better than the gray one. And the orange makes it look sort of rusty which I like. Good choice on the colour change.:thumbup:

The only reason why I originally went with the gray bed was because I didn't want it to look too similar to my dump truck from 2014 lol, which also had a red cab/black bed color scheme.

UPDATE 9/12/22

I've gotten started on the physical build. I already have a preliminary version of the instructions made, so I'm just following along with that as I build. So far, I have the basic chassis built. I'm still waiting on a Pick A Brick order, and those take a while to ship as they come from Denmark so I might not make any more progress on this model until around October. Hopefully the parts don't take too long to arrive so I can get to finishing the model.

Photos:

3bskddl.jpg

vaHpI4E.jpg

On 9/14/2022 at 10:48 PM, Mechbuilds said:

Awesome little project! 

Thanks!

My Pick A Brick order from late August has STILL not shipped...I'm starting to make BrickLink orders of the pieces I need since I just want to get this MOC done. Maybe I'll just order everything I need from BL and when my PAB order finally arrives I'll just have some extra pieces, lol.

EDIT: just checked my orders page on the LEGO website and looks like it's finally shipped. Now to wait another 4 long weeks for them to arrive, lol.

Edited by JLiu15

UPDATE 9/25/22

I made a small Bricklink order to get me some necessary pieces that could help me get a little further in the build before my PAB order arrives. The pieces I ordered allowed me to start moving on to the cab. The panels in the rear of the cab are in place, as well as the BuWizz unit. The electronic elements are also connected to the BuWizz. Routing the wires was challenging for such a small model, especially the PF LEDs, but the wires near the BuWizz all fit within the cab and the wires for the tail lights shouldn't interfere with the oscillating rear axle or cargo hold. The chassis does have a tendency to bend, especially in the rear due to the space needed in the chassis for the oscillating rear axle, but it shouldn't be too big of a problem as I've tested the dumping mechanism and it doesn't exert too much force when tilting the cargo hold.

Photos:

66OvdRs.jpg

KY8q3Jc.jpg

3UuUPRB.jpg