Clone OPatra

[CONTEST] Eurobricks Create a Theme Contest - Rules & Discussion

On 9/3/2022 at 4:16 AM, Oky said:

I must agree with some here that a $10 set doesn’t give you much to work with. Even before the recent price increases, ten bucks would only get you a motorcycle and a couple of parts and figs in most themes, but I understand the need to keep the scope of the contest reasonable and accept the challenge. 

Fair, it probably should say $10-15, but the other parameter of max 80 parts and 4 minifigs stands as well even if that isn't totally reasonable to expect for $10 any more.

37 minutes ago, CrappyMocMaker said:

Quick question though: does the wave's story have to be original as well as the builds? For example, if I make a wave based on greek mythology, would that be allowed even if the story itself that I'm depicting comes from someone else?

Try to put your own original spin on it like LEGO would, but in essence that is ok. Some of LEGO's original themes have drawn inspiration from other stuff after all, like Adventurers from Indiana Jones and Monster Fighters from classic monsters that LEGO didn't invent themselves.

On 8/29/2022 at 10:11 PM, Clone OPatra said:

Max 80 pieces + 4 minifigures is fine.

Do you mean a photo edit with your sets on a background, or some separate artwork? Either is fine but please only one full blown edit with background per set in your entry topic.

I wish I read this before making my smaller set... I need to start reading the replies in these contests. You're saying minfigure parts don't count towards the 80pc limit? What about their accessories?

1 hour ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I wish I read this before making my smaller set... I need to start reading the replies in these contests. You're saying minfigure parts don't count towards the 80pc limit? What about their accessories?

I would say their handheld accessories don't count but if its something like a large stationary weapon or vehicle it does

On 9/3/2022 at 6:55 PM, CrappyMocMaker said:

This contest looks pretty cool! Quick question though: does the wave's story have to be original as well as the builds? For example, if I make a wave based on greek mythology, would that be allowed even if the story itself that I'm depicting comes from someone else?

I do confidently believe that is definitely allowed since you can't copyright folklores/cultures (unless you are drawing inspirations from preexisting medias such as Disney's for example)

2 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

If it's just like a single part accessory, that's fine if it's in addition to the 80. If it's a big Chima-like brickbuilt weapon though, then that would be stretching it and that would count as part of the 80.

2 hours ago, Cyborg_Samurai said:

I would say their handheld accessories don't count but if its something like a large stationary weapon or vehicle it does

Thanks.

2 hours ago, Clone OPatra said:

If it's just like a single part accessory, that's fine if it's in addition to the 80. If it's a big Chima-like brickbuilt weapon though, then that would be stretching it and that would count as part of the 80.

Ok, thanks. I now have like 30 more pieces (3 minifigs with armor, a skeleton, all their weapons), I might re-do my smaller set.

36 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Ok, thanks. I now have like 30 more pieces (3 minifigs with armor, a skeleton, all their weapons), I might re-do my smaller set.

Sure. You don't have to meet the maximum of course, but whatever you like!

Also @Cyborg_Samurai, thanks for trying to answer people's questions but please leave the answering to staff, as it can cause confusion otherwise.

On 9/15/2022 at 7:56 PM, Clone OPatra said:

Sure. You don't have to meet the maximum of course, but whatever you like!

Also @Cyborg_Samurai, thanks for trying to answer people's questions but please leave the answering to staff, as it can cause confusion otherwise.

Gotcha. Just didn't want you to repeat yourself as it can be annoying for others but I guess you've got this heh

thanks for helping

I'm in a little trouble now. :D

As I have seen many entries, in the entry thread, all of them pick a theme and created their own figures and setting for it. 

And I choose a theme, and a nother, and combine them, as it was in the exaple in the description (like forestman in knight kingdom)

That wasn't the point of the challenge? Did I misunderstand it? :D

51 minutes ago, kahir88 said:

That wasn't the point of the challenge? Did I misunderstand it? :D

The contest is to create your own theme. That sentence you mentioned is simply listing LEGO's themes in a flowery, introductory way, and it concludes with the phrase "your own fresh idea".

Unless it's too blatantly obvious what existing themes you have used given your builds, I'd suggest you alter whatever descriptions you had planned, and present them as an original theme. Otherwise, perhaps just redo the figures a little if that is what would give it away?

Feel free to PM me to discuss further.

Any chance to get an extension on the deadline until Sunday so that we have the full weekend to finalize our entries? 

4 hours ago, Oky said:

Any chance to get an extension on the deadline until Sunday so that we have the full weekend to finalize our entries? 

I agree, I'm in quite a pickle here as I didn't even get started on the large-scale set. Bruh I'm screwed

best of luck to anyone here

36 minutes ago, Cyborg_Samurai said:

I agree, I'm in quite a pickle here as I didn't even get started on the large-scale set. Bruh I'm screwed

Glad to see I’m not the only one. Let’s see what @Clone OPatra says. 

I was hoping @Oky wouldn't notice this contest, he's too good at them. (Plus, you still haven't updated your profile picture with your grand admiral's pauldrons, man!)

Not usually a fan of moving deadlines so close to the end, but there haven't been a ton of entries, so it might be a good idea. Plus, half the posts in this thread have been from @Cyborg_Samurai, so it'd be nice to see him slide an entry in.

If the deadline does get moved back to Sunday I might do a second theme, probably something done as less of a "this is something I think lego would realistically do" and more of a completely nuts, metal type theme.

Edited by Mandalorianknight

Ok, Sunday September 25th, 11:59pm PST (California time).

The voting window is going to be pretty short for logistical reasons with the prizes, but it should be ok.

4 hours ago, Clone OPatra said:

The voting window is going to be pretty short for logistical reasons with the prizes, but it should be ok.

Actually, speaking of voting-

Are we allowed to vote if we submitted an entry (I would assume not for ourselves though)?

And on that topic, how will the voting work? Is it ranked choice? Or tournament style or just standard single vote between everything.

Also thanks for running the contest, regardless of who wins it's produced a lot of excellent MOCs and it's certainly got my creative juices flowing. :sweet:

Voting will be up by about Tuesday mid-morning US time, and all will be revealed then, but it won't be too different from past EB contests with voting.

On 9/24/2022 at 6:48 AM, Clone OPatra said:

sorry to ask but would it be ok if I can have everything submitted on the 26th, during midnight of the 25th should the 11:59pm deadline be off by a couple minutes/hours? (My timezone is also 2 hours ahead btw)

thanks

@Oky

wanted to ask, how’s your build progress going my dude?

Edited by Cyborg_Samurai

I appreciate the extension so much, I only saw this a couple days ago and I've been wanting to participate in the forums for a while. I doubt I'll finish in 3 hours but it's been great to build again!

Nope not going to make it, I look forward to voting for the finished entries. 

Edited by empiresperish

So if I've got my conversions correct, then (with the cheeky extension included) submissions stopped at 7.59 BST?

Meaning that neither Oky or Cyborg_Samurai got thier submissions in on time. Though I would not be against showing leniency and still counting thier submissions.( As long as Cyborg_Samurai gets it submitted soon, they did suggest that they might miss the deadline by a couple minutes or so)

27 minutes ago, Agent Kallus said:

So if I've got my conversions correct, then (with the cheeky extension included) submissions stopped at 7.59 BST?

Meaning that neither Oky or Cyborg_Samurai got thier submissions in on time. Though I would not be against showing leniency and still counting thier submissions.( As long as Cyborg_Samurai gets it submitted soon, they did suggest that they might miss the deadline by a couple minutes or so)

Yeah… it’s 3 am here and I’m heading to bed. Didn’t sleep much last night day before 💀

There is no way I can finish up by this night anyway so I would need the extra day. I’m a bit disappointed I couldn’t make it but let’s see what Patra may have in mind.

When I wake up I’m going to (hopefully) finish my theme up and try to stay optimistic about what the next plan of action is from there on

On 9/24/2022 at 4:48 AM, Clone OPatra said:

Thanks for the extension! It allowed me to enter something, even if it was quite last minute.

On 9/23/2022 at 9:01 PM, Mandalorianknight said:

I was hoping @Oky wouldn't notice this contest, he's too good at them.

Don't worry, I didn't notice it in time to really make anything great. I hope people still enjoy my entry though.

7 hours ago, Oky said:

Don't worry, I didn't notice it in time to really make anything great. I hope people still enjoy my entry though.

The sets might not be the most complex, but they're great little builds and the concept is something so lego-like that for a second I thought they'd actually done it before *they have not*. Would love to see a racetrack or the castle someday, I know a few people here are planning on making the other three sets for their entries.

9 hours ago, Agent Kallus said:

Yeah, I dunno. We'll see when cloneopatra gets back on, but since Cyborg_samurai's not submitted yet, I don't think they're gonna grant a second extension.

I look forewords to voting. So many strong contenders, there are at least 3 themes I think deserve to win (and my own, of course! :laugh:). It'll be a democratic bloodbath, that's for sure. (maybe not for the figure part though, I think there are only 4 or 5 entries there)