Clone OPatra

[CONTEST] Eurobricks Create a Theme Contest - Rules & Discussion

1398748806_CreateaThemeContestbanner.png.3f51b68f3ce5bbb920490c28d4b86bea.png

Eurobricks' Create a Theme Contest
Entries close September 24 2022

Voting now open!
BEST THEME voting | BEST MINIFIGURE LINEUP voting

In celebration of LEGO's 90th anniversary, and with so few new non-licensed themes these days, it's time for YOU to create the next best In-House Play Theme! It can take any form in any setting: medieval, space, fantasy, underwater, supernatural, action-adventure, etc. etc. as long as it's original and Minifigure-compatible. Think themes LEGO has done from Forestmen to Knights Kingdom II, Adventurers to Hidden Side, Aquazone to Galaxy Squad, and many many more, but your own fresh idea.

Contest Categories & Parameters

First, you'll have to decide on your theme. Think like LEGO when deciding on colour schemes, factions, characters, complexity of sets and more.

There will be winners in two categories decided by public vote. You can enter both categories with the same theme idea if you like; to share the prize love around, each member will only win once. More on this under Voting below.

Every entry must have a name for your theme concept and a description of your theme at a minimum of two sentences in length. You can leave it brief, or go into a lot of detail up to, for instance, outlining a full wave of sets. Even if you only enter the Minifigure category, you must still have a theme name and description.

Category 1: Best Theme Concept
Build two of the sets in your theme. One of the sets must be one that would sell for about $10 USD, no more than 80 pieces and four minifigures. The second set can be as small as you like, but must be no larger than something that would sell for $120 USD (1100 pieces max). Both sets must emulate official LEGO sets in terms of piece count, complexity, number of minifigures and design style. Include the second set's price point and a description of at least one sentence in length for each. Each set must have one main, "front of the box" product image, but you may also include as many photos as you like. Digital building allowed with existing parts in existing colours only.

Category 2: Best Minifigure Lineup
Create a lineup of Minifigures that would be found in a wave of five sets in your original playtheme. This could be a small number of all named characters like in Adventurers, or a few unique characters and more massable troops/goons like in a Castle wave. Include a writeup to explain your minifigures and what sets they might be found in. Purist parts only. Yellow ideally if portraying humans in keeping with LEGO's own in-house themes, but fleshies allowed. No digitally created entries.

How to Enter

To enter, post a new topic in the section of Eurobricks most suited to your theme (i.e. if it's an outer space theme post it in Sci-Fi, if it's action-adventure post it in Action Themes, if it's medieval fantasy post it in Historic Themes, etc - if you're unsure, feel free to ask before posting). Title your topic [CaTC] ______ (name of your theme). Leave a link to your topic in the Contest Entry Thread in Special Themes.

You can update your topic until the contest deadline but you must post it initially with a fully fledged entry in either of the categories. You can update your MOC(s), Minifigure lineups, and/or set/theme descriptions, but something must look complete to begin with. For example, no placeholder topics with a theme name and only one sentence, or a picture of just one minifigure.

Rules

Entries close on Saturday September 24th 2022. As long as it's still Saturday September 24th somewhere in the world, you can post or update your entry.

You can join Eurobricks any time to post an entry.

You can enter as many times as you like - you can post multiple theme topics with MOCs and/or Minifigure lineups, as long as each one meets the minimum requirements detailed above. However, to spread the prize love around, each Eurobricks member will only win once.

All creations must be new for this contest and never before posted anywhere online.

All work must be your own - plagiarizing MOCs or custom Minifigures will result in immediate disqualification.

Choosing the Winners - Voting

Eurobricks members will vote for their favourite Theme Concept and favourite Minifigure lineup. Eurobricks members must have joined Eurobricks by September 1st 2022 in order to be eligible to vote.

There will be two winners in the Theme Concept category: the entry with the most votes and the entry with the second most votes. There will be just one winner in the Minifigure lineup category.

Each Eurobricks member can only win once. We will first count the votes in the Theme Concept category, then the Minifigure category. In the event that someone wins first or second place in the Theme Concept category who has also entered the Minifigure category, we will remove them from eligibility for the Minifigure category. This is to share the prize love around!

Prizes

One winner and runner up of the MOC category get to pick a wonderful LEGO prize pool of choice! *"
* valued at around 200 euro and 170 euro respectively

One winner of the Minifigure category gets to pick a wonderful LEGO prize pool of choice! *"
* with a value of around 100 euro.

Fine Print

• By entering, you consent to Eurobricks reposting your entry on Eurobricks' social media channels, crediting you.
  • Prize values are determined in accordance with German Shop at Home and prizes are subject to availability on the Shop at Home in the winners' local countries. Some back and forth with Eurobricks staff might be required to select an available prize.
  • Prizes could take 8-10 weeks to arrive but we will keep you updated as much as we are able.

The idea for this contest was heavily inspired by a series of MOCs that our member Nuju Metru did back around 2014. One of the wave topics is here with links to the others - check them out!

Reply below with any comments or questions!

Two sets only? And one is so small. Hardly defines a full wave. On the other hands, time frame is short. OK, lets see what can we create.

I have a question.

Does the theme need to fit lego's theme as in it cannot be too violent? For instance Lego needed to tone down the weaponry from Dino Attack at one point or another thing is that lego almost doesn't have a theme that is ever anti-authority (take space police for example) (lego racers was the closest we got with its Need for Speed inspirations). Maybe I am definitely overthinking it but is really anything allowed? (assuming political themes and sexual themes wouldn't be allowed)

So to summarize from what I understood:

- a 80 piece set with no more than 4 figs (assuming the figure parts don't count within total piece count)

- a 1100 piece set

- 5 original minifigures. Though are the figures that we might use from the 2 sets (the 80p and the 1100p) count or do these have to be like exclusive figures found in a blind bag? Or another interpretation is that these 5 figures are found in different sets outside of the 2 sets and creating the set(s) these 5 Minifigures would be featured in is optional (since the figs are the only required thing). It also says "no digital created entires". Does this mean I would need to buy Minifigures parts and then do some decals/prints/painting on them? Because it would be very efficient for me if I could create these Minifigures in Studio/LDraw/LDD/etc where I have full control on how these guys designs will turn out

Lastly, just for promotion, are we allowed to make more than just 2 sets and 5 Minifigures? Just so we can see the bigger picture of the potential of the concept theme

Thanks for your questions. Let me clarify a few things.

12 minutes ago, Cyborg_Samurai said:

Does the theme need to fit lego's theme as in it cannot be too violent? For instance Lego needed to tone down the weaponry from Dino Attack at one point or another thing is that lego almost doesn't have a theme that is ever anti-authority (take space police for example) (lego racers was the closest we got with its Need for Speed inspirations). Maybe I am definitely overthinking it but is really anything allowed? (assuming political themes and sexual themes wouldn't be allowed)

Yes it should be kid friendly and something that LEGO would release, so no overt realistic modern day war or violence, nothing of a political or sexual nature of course.

- a 80 piece set with no more than 4 figs (assuming the figure parts don't count within total piece count)

- a 1100 piece set

One set that must be a maximum of 80 pieces + 4 minifigures, the other set can be any size up to 1100 pieces and an appropriate number of minifigures (i.e. LEGO doesn't do $120 sets for regular playthemes with 15 or 20 figures, for instance). The second set could be as small as another $10 USD set, or $20 USD set, etc. but can't be larger than a $120, 1100 piece set.

- 5 original minifigures. Though are the figures that we might use from the 2 sets (the 80p and the 1100p) count or do these have to be like exclusive figures found in a blind bag? Or another interpretation is that these 5 figures are found in different sets outside of the 2 sets and creating the set(s) these 5 Minifigures would be featured in is optional (since the figs are the only required thing). It also says "no digital created entires". Does this mean I would need to buy Minifigures parts and then do some decals/prints/painting on them? Because it would be very efficient for me if I could create these Minifigures in Studio/LDraw/LDD/etc where I have full control on how these guys designs will turn out

Just to clarify, entries don't need to include the minifigure lineup, as it is a separate category. However, it is not 5 original minifigures necessarily; it is a complete lineup of minifigures that would appear in a wave of five sets. How many different minifigures that is will depend on your theme. It could be less, it could be more. Dino Attack did have permutations of just four characters. Many themes have around 7 or 8 different characters/unique minifigures in a wave. Then there are some themes like Chima that came out of the gate with a ridiculous number of different minifigures in its first wave. Take a look back through old themes on Bricklink and Brickset for more inspiration on how many minifigures would appear in a wave, if you want to.

If you enter the Best Theme category as well, then yes the minifigures in your sets can be included in your lineup. They may be the entire lineup (Adventurers included all its initial characters in its largest set, for example), or there may be more in the lineup.

It also says "no digital created entires". Does this mean I would need to buy Minifigures parts and then do some decals/prints/painting on them? Because it would be very efficient for me if I could create these Minifigures in Studio/LDraw/LDD/etc where I have full control on how these guys designs will turn out

The rules state "Purist parts only." This means only genuine LEGO parts with no prints/decorations added or removed, but of course all parts can be swapped around including arms, hands, hips, individual legs, etc.

To keep an even playing field, just two sets allowed for the Best Theme category, but as I clarified the minifigure category can have how ever many minifigures you feel is appropriate for a wave and LEGO themselves would do.

12 hours ago, kodlovag said:

Two sets only? And one is so small. Hardly defines a full wave. On the other hands, time frame is short. OK, lets see what can we create.

Yes exactly - we wanted the contest to be approachable given the time frame and for entries to provide a taste of a wave/idea, rather than a full wave. Looking forward to seeing what you do!

2 hours ago, Clone OPatra said:

Thanks for your questions. Let me clarify a few things.

Yes it should be kid friendly and something that LEGO would release, so no overt realistic modern day war or violence, nothing of a political or sexual nature of course.

One set that must be a maximum of 80 pieces + 4 minifigures, the other set can be any size up to 1100 pieces and an appropriate number of minifigures (i.e. LEGO doesn't do $120 sets for regular playthemes with 15 or 20 figures, for instance). The second set could be as small as another $10 USD set, or $20 USD set, etc. but can't be larger than a $120, 1100 piece set.

Just to clarify, entries don't need to include the minifigure lineup, as it is a separate category. However, it is not 5 original minifigures necessarily; it is a complete lineup of minifigures that would appear in a wave of five sets. How many different minifigures that is will depend on your theme. It could be less, it could be more. Dino Attack did have permutations of just four characters. Many themes have around 7 or 8 different characters/unique minifigures in a wave. Then there are some themes like Chima that came out of the gate with a ridiculous number of different minifigures in its first wave. Take a look back through old themes on Bricklink and Brickset for more inspiration on how many minifigures would appear in a wave, if you want to.

If you enter the Best Theme category as well, then yes the minifigures in your sets can be included in your lineup. They may be the entire lineup (Adventurers included all its initial characters in its largest set, for example), or there may be more in the lineup.

The rules state "Purist parts only." This means only genuine LEGO parts with no prints/decorations added or removed, but of course all parts can be swapped around including arms, hands, hips, individual legs, etc.

To keep an even playing field, just two sets allowed for the Best Theme category, but as I clarified the minifigure category can have how ever many minifigures you feel is appropriate for a wave and LEGO themselves would do.

Yes exactly - we wanted the contest to be approachable given the time frame and for entries to provide a taste of a wave/idea, rather than a full wave. Looking forward to seeing what you do!

ah thanks for clarifying. As for the minifig thing as I see even adding printed stickers to them is a no no, however can I make mine digital but using existing parts in existing colors? (no custom parts making this 100% buildable to anyone who was the parts) I was thinking I could post the figure and then all the pieces I used to make it with BrickLink links to support all parts used were authentic. I was wondering if this was a minifig design contest or a clever use of existing body parts (which seems to be the case) to make a fresh looking character. 

As for my theme, I would say it would only be as violent as themes like exoforce or Dino attack or the super edgy looking 90s space like UFO which is where it takes the inspiration, almost like what if the lego design culture from the 90s-early 2000s were to be used all the way to the 2020s

Also, sorry to ask again, I was wondering if adding more sets alongside with the two set entires is allowed just for promotional purposes to show a greater envisionment of the concept. Plus will this post be updated to include the entires submitted over time side by side so that others can see all their options and vote what they like? lastly are the contestants allowed to vote? If so should they be allowed to vote for themselves?

thanks

14 hours ago, Cyborg_Samurai said:

ah thanks for clarifying. As for the minifig thing as I see even adding printed stickers to them is a no no, however can I make mine digital but using existing parts in existing colors?

As for my theme, I would say it would only be as violent as themes like exoforce or Dino attack or the super edgy looking 90s space like UFO which is where it takes the inspiration, almost like what if the lego design culture from the 90s-early 2000s were to be used all the way to the 2020s

Also, sorry to ask again, I was wondering if adding more sets alongside with the two set entires is allowed just for promotional purposes to show a greater envisionment of the concept. Plus will this post be updated to include the entires submitted over time side by side so that others can see all their options and vote what they like? lastly are the contestants allowed to vote? If so should they be allowed to vote for themselves?

thanks

The minifigs you include with your sets can be made digitally, but for the Minifigure Lineup category only real-life physical builds.

That sounds fine for your theme.

For the contest, just the two sets only so that there's an even playing field. After the contest is finished feel free to add more for the fun of it! 

Once entries close on 24 September, we will create a voting topic that shows all of the eligible entries. We'll announce the rules and model for voting closer to the time.

Might have a go at this! Not something I have really ever tried to build. Thanks for the contest! I think you've already answered clearly enough but minifigs for the sets can be completely digital (custom prints and everything but no custom moulds I'm guessing)

Hey! The sets and the Minifigure lineup must be in the same theme, what I chose, or can be different?  

4 hours ago, paupadros said:

I think you've already answered clearly enough but minifigs for the sets can be completely digital (custom prints and everything but no custom moulds I'm guessing)

The idea was really for what people can do with purist parts, so even for the minifigs for the sets I'm going to say existing pieces in existing colours/prints.

32 minutes ago, kahir88 said:

Hey! The sets and the Minifigure lineup must be in the same theme, what I chose, or can be different?  

They can be different themes, but both still need a theme name and description of at least two sentences so we get an idea of what the concept is. If you do them in separate themes, you would post two separate topics in the appropriate forums.

This is a fun and interesting competition, I'm very curious to see what great ideas come up.

The most unique lego contest I have seen in years! So kudos for coming up with the contest because it has a lot of creativity potential for the community.

Having said that, a few gray areas exist in what topics the participants can mold their theme around. For example, The Lego Company (TLC) has its own rules, especially for introducing sets on its Lego ideas platforms. Some are no duh type of rules (no sex, profanity, racism, etc) and it's safe to assume that would apply here too. Yet Lego has broken its own rules in the past when it comes to warfare for example (not modern warfare like tanks and such, but factions fighting each other with weapons).

First question: is it acceptable to use weapons in our builds with factions fighting each other? 

Second question: can the theme be competing or "fighting" over a resource? This point is where things get tricky because often some of Lego's best themes always revolve over two factions battling over a resource, whether that is territory, gold, diamonds, even cash, or made up resources. For example, the Aquazone theme pits two under water factions competing to mine crystals (energy) off the ocean floor. Very cool concept, but total fantasy of course. What if I submitted a theme involving a real life resource such as water? Because that resource is real maybe that goes too far into the real world and involves politics, campaigns, and environmental concerns? Even if the factions are goofy and made up.

Apologies for getting technical here, but Lego's ambiguity on acceptable content within themes has always been a discussion point and this contest mimic's the creation power Lego has. Because Eurobricks usually follows TLC's guidelines, but is not required to follow them, these questions seem relevant. The final point is that historically, the most popular Lego themes always involve some controversy: factions, fighting, competition, and often over resources which defy or bend the "rules". Their raison d'être.

Thanks.

53 minutes ago, Brickshipyard said:

The most unique lego contest I have seen in years! So kudos for coming up with the contest because it has a lot of creativity potential for the community.

Thanks! Glad you like it! I've seen lots of interesting set-like MOCs particularly on Instagram in recent years, so it's definitely a style of MOCing some people like to do. I'm looking forward to seeing what people come up with for this!

For example, The Lego Company (TLC) has its own rules, especially for introducing sets on its Lego ideas platforms. Some are no duh type of rules (no sex, profanity, racism, etc) and it's safe to assume that would apply here too.

This contest is obviously just for fun and we don't want to be quite as rigid as LEGO's rules on Ideas, which is why we haven't gone into some sort of detailed list about those sorts of parameters. I'd like to think most AFOLs could look at a creation and say what is or isn't something LEGO itself might do, and that's the aim of this contest: create MOCs that look like possible real LEGO sets.

In light of that:

First question: is it acceptable to use weapons in our builds with factions fighting each other? 

Yeah absolutely. Weapons are LEGO's bread and butter.

Second question: can the theme be competing or "fighting" over a resource? ... What if I submitted a theme involving a real life resource such as water? Because that resource is real maybe that goes too far into the real world and involves politics, campaigns, and environmental concerns? Even if the factions are goofy and made up.

Because Eurobricks usually follows TLC's guidelines, but is not required to follow them, these questions seem relevant.

For sure, fighting over resources including water is fine, but like you've said, it should be obvious that it isn't a total real world, real humans situation being portrayed.

We're not bound by any external guidelines for this contest; Eurobricks has created the guidelines for the contest. Like I said, it should look and feel like a potentially real LEGO theme. Anybody trying too hard to push the boundaries of acceptable content within this contest is missing the point.

The Entry Topic has now been created, and linked in the first post of this topic.

Quick question. I know the minifig contest needs to be 100% purist so the rules on that are a lot more firm but for the original sets theme idea, can I use custom designed prints for my sets?

Also can I use a few parts that are not available in the existing color? (For instance using metallic silver/chrome for wheels/weapons that only came in light bluish grey?)

I think expressing my theme’s originality through using custom decals really gives it a character of its own and feels convincing that this could be a legit set. Lastly do we need to provide all the parts we have used in the sets? (This could be difficult for those who aren’t building digitally)

On 8/15/2022 at 2:02 PM, Clone OPatra said:

so even for the minifigs for the sets I'm going to say existing pieces in existing colours/prints.

I just tried and failed with creating some minifigs in LDD with existing pieces only. The problem is the extreme limited selection of prints. StudIO is somewhat better, but imo there is no way to beat physical builds and part selection. This rule seems to be a bit too limiting on digital builds.

14 hours ago, kodlovag said:

I just tried and failed with creating some minifigs in LDD with existing pieces only. The problem is the extreme limited selection of prints. StudIO is somewhat better, but imo there is no way to beat physical builds and part selection. This rule seems to be a bit too limiting on digital builds.

Though remember for the minifig lineup contest, you need to have the physical minifigs meaning you would need to use your parts and build something original and taken through photo since digital build isn’t allowed and no custom bricks/prints/colors

though for the set theme contest I believe there aren’t any building restrictions in what parts are allowed and what aren’t 

Sorry for the delay and thanks for the questions. Up to this point the rules have said and I have previously answered that it's existing parts in existing colours only including the minifigures whether building physically or digitally. There are always going to be advantages and disadvantages to both ways of building. You could do the build digitally and the minifigures physically and edit them together in your photos if the particular software doesn't have enough variety of Minifigure parts available.

I'll get back to everyone with an ultimate answer on custom decorations/decals in the Best Theme category.

I have come back with the answer, which is no custom decals or decorations.

The intention of this contest is to be 100% purist, which means 100% existing parts only in colours and decorations for them that LEGO has produced, whether physical or digital.

Very few LEGO themes I can think of rely heavily on a logo besides some of the space themes, and I suppose certain caste themes with their flags and shields, but if your build is strong, it won't be broken by a blank flag for instance.

17 hours ago, Clone OPatra said:

I have come back with the answer, which is no custom decals or decorations.

The intention of this contest is to be 100% purist, which means 100% existing parts only in colours and decorations for them that LEGO has produced, whether physical or digital.

Very few LEGO themes I can think of rely heavily on a logo besides some of the space themes, and I suppose certain caste themes with their flags and shields, but if your build is strong, it won't be broken by a blank flag for instance.

I see and thanks. In that case is it required that we submit all parts that have been used in the builds? (websites like rebrickable does a pretty good job in verifying whether parts have an existing color or not)

This way we can validate and oblige by all the rules. It may help if these rules you mentioned were to be updated into the original post in case others new here don't read all the comments (ex: -no custom decals/prints and only lego ones. -submit all parts used. etc)

Edited by Cyborg_Samurai

1 hour ago, Four Bricks Tall said:

Can we share our creations on our own socials after we post on Eurobricks?

Or will that disqualify the entry?

Yes you can definitely share it once you have posted your entry topic(s) here! If you post on Instagram, appreciate if you tag us, though it's not a requirement.

On 8/23/2022 at 1:05 PM, Cyborg_Samurai said:

In that case is it required that we submit all parts that have been used in the builds? (websites like rebrickable does a pretty good job in verifying whether parts have an existing color or not)

I don't know if all of the different software available does that easily and I don't think we've made that a requirement before even in contests that had combined digital and physical builds competing together.

All I'll say is: please abide by the rules. The fun of the contest is building some cool LEGO-like sets, not trying to cheat and bend rules. If somebody accidentally or willfully uses some internal unseen parts that don't exist in that particular colour, ok. If your MOC has visible parts in colours that they don't come in, it should be fairly obvious. EB staff know our LEGO and will be giving everything a good looking over.

quick question: does minifigure pieces count towards total parts of the set? (like 80 pieces + 4 minifigs or 80 pieces that include minifig parts)

Also can I create artwork as a form of promotional piece for my theme's concept? (I finish my $10 set and it resembles the SW battle packs kinda)

20 hours ago, Cyborg_Samurai said:

quick question: does minifigure pieces count towards total parts of the set? (like 80 pieces + 4 minifigs or 80 pieces that include minifig parts)

Also can I create artwork as a form of promotional piece for my theme's concept? (I finish my $10 set and it resembles the SW battle packs kinda)

Max 80 pieces + 4 minifigures is fine.

Do you mean a photo edit with your sets on a background, or some separate artwork? Either is fine but please only one full blown edit with background per set in your entry topic.

How did I miss this until now? What a fun and unique idea for a contest! I’ve actually been working on a concept for LEGO World Builder and this might give me the push I need to start creating some designs for it. 
I must agree with some here that a $10 set doesn’t give you much to work with. Even before the recent price increases, ten bucks would only get you a motorcycle and a couple of parts and figs in most themes, but I understand the need to keep the scope of the contest reasonable and accept the challenge. 
Can’t wait to see what everyone comes up with!

This contest looks pretty cool! Quick question though: does the wave's story have to be original as well as the builds? For example, if I make a wave based on greek mythology, would that be allowed even if the story itself that I'm depicting comes from someone else?

Edited by CrappyMocMaker