Murdoch17

early 2000's Wild West 4-4-0 steam loco in MOT style (a present for my father) - real world MOC finished 8/21/22

DISCLAIMER: This steam locomotive featured below was heavily inspired by pictures of @SavaTheAggie's 4-4-0 from 2007, visible here. I added a tender inspired by another Sava loco (his 4-6-0, also from 2007) as seen here. I also made the front bogie actually connect to the front of the loco. (before, in the original design it was totally free-floating) I also made a few structural / style tweaks here and there, to make it "my own".

52301072399_85591efba1_z.jpg

My dad is getting this loco for his 65th birthday, as I wanted to make him something he would find relatable to his own collection of 1990's / early 2000's 9v era trains, of which he has most of what was released. This engine is meant to go with a few copies of 10015 - Passenger Wagon, and a single 10014 - Caboose will accompany this engine.

52301298895_2392fdbbfb_z.jpg

The loco isn't motorized however, but it can be by removing the tender's wheels and adding in a 9v motor instead.

52277282714_c46660b354_z.jpg

Sadly, when I gave it to him I forgot to get pictures of the whole train together... this older picture will have to do until I can get a proper one taken.

Thoughts?

Edited by Murdoch17

Cute(very nice train and idea for gift) combination of "my own train" and "General"(well it`s remained me of that loco)
Maybe add a hose/rail to the boiler on the top sides

1 hour ago, Darkkostas25 said:

Cute(very nice train and idea for gift) combination of "my own train" and "General"(well it`s remained me of that loco)
Maybe add a hose/rail to the boiler on the top sides

Thanks @Darkkostas25, but I think it looks better without too many fine details.... more toy-like, just like the original My Own Train series from 2001.

Side note: Finally! Undeniable PROOF that the Caboose was used on Wild West era passenger trains! Take THAT rivet counters! :grin:

52277292708_a5cab39098_z.jpg

So my train is actual prototypical after all!

(photo not mine, it's from a pre-1894 railroad group on Facebook)

The line depicted is the Florence and Cripple Creek RR, sometime between 1893 and 1915. (It's bridges are even drivable after 100+ years.)

Incidentally, my paternal grandfather's family lived in Florence, Colorado back in the same timeframe, and could've very easily rode this line!

Edited by Murdoch17

52286228185_e606faaa95_z.jpg

Over two-thirds of parts are in now my possession, with 283 parts found / received, and 99 left to go! Construction has also started on the tender... the model should be finished by Friday the 19th, if all goes according to plan.

Edited by Murdoch17

This looks amazing! I was too young to MOC but remember being on the internet and seeing Sava's trains - and then going onto LDD and not understanding how he got the big wheels! Very fond of this era, looking, forwards to seeing what you make

52301072399_85591efba1_z.jpg

Real world photos uploaded to the first post! Sadly, when I gave the train to him I forgot to get pictures of the whole vintage consist together...

@samsz_3 Thanks, and I too remember looking at Sava's trains and going: "why can't I build like that?" He was one of the ones who inspired me to start building trains beyond Lego sets.

@brummer Cool vintage train, and I'm glad I inspired you to dust if off! (that train is only about half-a-decade younger than me!)