JohnsLegos

Clear transparent tiles

I am doing another MOC and I want the top of it to use clear transparent tiles to tie it together. I looked on Lego's site and also Bricklink and coudn't seem to find what I am looking for. I am looking for either 2x4's, 2x6's, or 2x8's and maybe a 2x10 if it was ever made. Thnks for any help!

2x8 and 2x10 tiles don't exist, period, although many wish they did! 2x6's only came out this year / late last year, and 2x4's at least a decade ago.

The only tiles in trans clear are 1x1, 1x4 (hard to find and expensive in quantity) or 1x2 tiles. 2x2's existed in a couple sets in the 1980's, but those are as rare as hen's teeth. Check out this link for a list of what I'm talking about on Bricklink.

Basically, you're gonna need to redesign your model, as what you're looking for doesn't exist.

Good luck on your search @JohnsLegos!

Edited by Murdoch17

Unfortunately doing a re-design is out of the question the only other thing I might look at is a white tile and I want to top it off with a flat tile with no studs. I guess I will have to do some more digging around or wait until I have all the pieces from Lego to come in to really see what I need. I was trying to get some feelers out early to see what was out there. Thanks!

LEGO has strict policies on what pieces are done transparent and which ones aren't due to how the material behaves and how it affects production. Even though they've eased up on this a little, bringing out some previously unavailable parts as transparent versions, the likelihood of them ever doing your tiles are infinitesimal. You could wait until you're too old to appreciate it. So for what it's worth, redesign your model to use 1 x 1 and 1 x 2 trans tiles or make it work with regular colored tiles.

Mylenium

On 8/9/2022 at 3:57 PM, JohnsLegos said:

I am doing another MOC and I want the top of it to use clear transparent tiles to tie it together. I looked on Lego's site and also Bricklink and coudn't seem to find what I am looking for. I am looking for either 2x4's, 2x6's, or 2x8's and maybe a 2x10 if it was ever made. Thnks for any help!

Edited by Peppermint_M
Removed Link to Bootleg parts

7 hours ago, Mylenium said:

So for what it's worth, redesign your model to use 1 x 1 and 1 x 2 trans tiles or make it work with regular colored tiles.

Or ... well, or explore a bit. OK, TLG is not making them. Due to reasons. Others actually do; not the 2xZ with Z>2 but 1x Z with Z>2. Which may eventually lead to failure - or not. Not in the sense of "in eternity". I have no clue how long these pieces will live - even some of TLG's parts crack up in no time (as compared to "eternity").

6 hours ago, JaBaCaDaBra said:

Edited 1 hour ago by Peppermint_M
Removed Link to Bootleg parts

Hmmm. OK. Fair enough.

However, as these pieces are not made by TLG - how could they be so offensive? I sure hope the link provided by @JaBaCaDaBra was showing off parts still made by TLG (but which are certainly no more under any IP)? Otherwise, I am puzzled.

1x6 flat tile, trans clear, 50, for €4,95. Same for 2x2's, 100, same price. TLG does not make them. What is wrong with that? I'd be happy to share such things in the community forum. It may bolster post counts there - or not, because this is evil territory. At least, so it seems.

All the best,
Thorsten

On 8/9/2022 at 5:15 PM, Murdoch17 said:

Basically, you're gonna need to redesign your model, as what you're looking for doesn't exist.

May I add: In TLG's universe.

And sure, the wanted 2xZ, Z > 2 are currently not available (2x2's are) but other of the non-existing tiles do exist - outside TLG's universe.

And as we are in TLG's universe here on EB - well, they simply don't exist.

I really like how Douglas Adams phrased it:

"I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."
"But," says Man, "the Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves that You exist, and so therefore, by Your own arguments, You don't. QED."
"Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.
"Oh, that was easy," says Man, and for an encore goes on to prove that black is white and gets himself killed on the next zebra crossing.

Replace God with TLG, the Babel fish with a 2x6 trans clear tile, and Man with us.

:pir-laugh:

All the best,
Thorsten

Edited by Toastie

9 hours ago, Toastie said:

Or ... well, or explore a bit. OK, TLG is not making them. Due to reasons. Others actually do; not the 2xZ with Z>2 but 1x Z with Z>2. Which may eventually lead to failure - or not. Not in the sense of "in eternity". I have no clue how long these pieces will live - even some of TLG's parts crack up in no time (as compared to "eternity").

Yeah, sure, but that is kind of the point. I've built a bunch of COBI and Mega Construx models and pressing together transparent plates and tiles based on the standard molds is not fun due to how the material behaves. So assuming LEGO were to ever use transparent elements more broadly and use them safely they'd likely have to come up with new designs, in particular for the reinforcement structures and anti-studs on the undersides...

Mylenium

2 hours ago, JaBaCaDaBra said:

This was NOT a bootleg product since TLG doesn't produce clear transparant tiles
Hereby official protest for the warning and removal

It is produced using a LEGO mould to create a colour part LEGO do not produce. It is a bootleg part. 

On 8/9/2022 at 3:57 PM, JohnsLegos said:

What is the MOC? Maybe telling people what you want to do will prompt the suggestion of suitable parts that might differ from your idea but be feasible based on LEGO parts that exist. For example, 1x2 trans clear tiles and plates are readily available and can be linked together to form any size object you like, just that it will be 2 plates deep instead of one. That might work depending on what it is you are trying to achieve.

21 hours ago, MAB said:

What is the MOC? Maybe telling people what you want to do will prompt the suggestion of suitable parts that might differ from your idea but be feasible based on LEGO parts that exist. For example, 1x2 trans clear tiles and plates are readily available and can be linked together to form any size object you like, just that it will be 2 plates deep instead of one. That might work depending on what it is you are trying to achieve.

I am making an American flag and want to tie the blue and red/white together that is why I am looking for a clear tile. If you pull an image o the flag up from any site you will see there is a "wall" of blue on the left so I wanted the clear opposed to either using an all red or all white to tie it together on top.

Can you put something on the back? Or inside if making it three plates high.