Time77

Classic Space Color meanings

Nice office. It definitely has the bland HR feel to it. No lights, or major greebling. I'm surprised the HR monster has geodes for color.

On 8/8/2022 at 7:03 PM, Feuer Zug said:

This. Your world, your roles. If you're enjoying playing with them, that's what matters.

Exactly this.

I decided some years back to use a derivative of good old Star Trek TOS/Movie colors:

White: Command / Flag officers

Yellow: Helm / pilots / navigators

Red: Engineering / Operations

Blue: Science

Green: Medical

Black: Security

I then went and adjusted these so that if minifigs weren't "in their spacesuits" their regular uniforms were more like White/Beige/Tan/Grey-Blue/Teal/Dark Grey... I even customised LDD's native decals so I could give them little gold Lego Space logos on their left breast LOL

So now we know beyond a shadow of a doubt that Brown spacemen are Caretakers/instructors.

Updated list:

White: Pilot, Red: Engineering, Blue: Security, Yellow: Communications, Black: Base Command, Orange: Fleet Admiral, Green: Mining/Resource Acquisition,  Pink: Pilot who accidentally put his clothes in the wash at the same time as red, LBG: roboticist/electrical systems, Purple: medical, Brown: instructor/caretaker

It's always a great day when you see a new Classic Spaceman color get introduced! Here is my current list:

White: Explorer

Black: Security/Spy

Red: Pilot

Blue: Captain/Commander

Yellow: Communications

Green: Mining Operator

Grey: Cadet

Pink: Medic

Orange: Engineer

Purple: Admiral

Brown: Caretaker/Teacher 

Now this is just my list with my opinions, but I truly don't understand why everyone keeps devaluing the pink spaceman. Either saying they are a girl or that the white laundry bled with the red? The girl one just makes no sense to me and nor it should for you as well. You are telling me guys can choose from all these different colors but girls HAVE to wear pink regardless of job title? It makes no sense other than people just assuming pink=girl. Enough said. And then why would you assume the laundry bled? Why did no one assume that the orange spaceman had his yellow suit blended the red? Or that the green spaceman was originally a blue? Once again the only reason I can assume this is because of the stereotype that "men don't want to wear pink and it must have been an accident!". Sorry if I offended anyone but the pink spaceman is a guy named Lenny according to Lego and I believe he has his own department just like all the other colors.

On 8/8/2022 at 12:34 AM, Time77 said:

But what do Orange, Green, and Pink mean?

Orange must mean Space Librarian since you get a free history book when you buy the Orange Spaceman. I just found him for a great price today at WHSmiths in Leeds, West Yorkshire UK.

!                                                                                                                                    s-l500

On 11/24/2022 at 11:34 PM, azog said:

Now this is just my list with my opinions, but I truly don't understand why everyone keeps devaluing the pink spaceman. Either saying they are a girl or that the white laundry bled with the red? The girl one just makes no sense to me and nor it should for you as well. You are telling me guys can choose from all these different colors but girls HAVE to wear pink regardless of job title? It makes no sense other than people just assuming pink=girl. Enough said. And then why would you assume the laundry bled? Why did no one assume that the orange spaceman had his yellow suit blended the red? Or that the green spaceman was originally a blue? Once again the only reason I can assume this is because of the stereotype that "men don't want to wear pink and it must have been an accident!". Sorry if I offended anyone but the pink spaceman is a guy named Lenny according to Lego and I believe he has his own department just like all the other colors.

Indeed, people should take all the colors as ranks and not as "oh his suit was mixed with another color whole doing laundry." Also I largely agree with your color rankings as well though I would switch orange and yellow around because when I think of engineer I think of the Engineer from TF2 and his yellow hard hat and thus yellow = engineer.

5 hours ago, Inspecter said:

Indeed, people should take all the colors as ranks and not as "oh his suit was mixed with another color whole doing laundry." Also I largely agree with your color rankings as well though I would switch orange and yellow around because when I think of engineer I think of the Engineer from TF2 and his yellow hard hat and thus yellow = engineer.

Hmmm I didn't think about that! I loved TF2 when I was a kid. I might have to switch my own list haha

I too think yellow would be an engineer.

Regretfully, I view brown as the sanitation engineer. Just because she/he is holding up an officer's child means little. Or is brown the commander's batman?

I heard someone joke that Brown space people are delivery people. Because of UPS. I guess that's a double joke since they could also be "delivering" babies.

39 minutes ago, danth said:

I heard someone joke that Brown space people are delivery people. Because of UPS. I guess that's a double joke since they could also be "delivering" babies.

Sounds good to me!

On 11/30/2022 at 12:15 PM, danth said:

Couriers and "delivering" babies. Perfect.

White: Medical

Blue: Science

Red: Exploration/Reconnaissance

Yellow: Engineering

Black: Security

Green: Pilot

Purple: Xeno-Anthropologist

Brown: Stellar Cartographer

Orange: Command (since it's arguably the rarest)

As an aside, I would love for Black to make a return, along with the proper helmet for Green. And maybe a dedicated Purple, instead of scattered parts.

On 11/29/2022 at 1:37 PM, Killian said:

Orange must mean Space Librarian since you get a free history book when you buy the Orange Spaceman. I just found him for a great price today at WHSmiths in Leeds, West Yorkshire UK.

Hmm. Intelligence/cartographer/documentarian might be a good role for them.

On 11/24/2022 at 11:34 PM, azog said:

I mean, they're both jokes. One about pink being stereotypically a girl color, and the other about, y'know, when you'd put whites in with reds in old laundry. When it comes down to it it's plastic toy colors, it's not really a huge deal. 
That said, have I been overanalyzing spaceman colors just as much as you, and will continue to do so? 100%. :laugh:

1 hour ago, ARC2149Nova said:

Orange: Command (since it's arguably the rarest)

As an aside, I would love for Black to make a return, along with the proper helmet for Green. And maybe a dedicated Purple, instead of scattered parts.

Always good to see you around. Orange is a tough one for me since the double inspiration of book/rarity is tough.

Totally agree we need new colors too, I think a people pack type set with 2 of each of the og 5 colors and 1 of all the new ones (plus 1 or two exclusives) would be nice.

I think here's my new list, minor updates:

White: Pilot

Red: Engineering

Blue: Security

Yellow: Communications

Black: Resource analysist/general scientist

Orange: Command staff

Green: Roboticist

Pink: Pilot who accidentally put his clothes in the wash at the same time as red. I'm standing by this one.

LBG: Treaded/ground vehicle driver... or maybe rocketry. Not sure.

Purple: medical

Brown: instructor/caretaker

Still I'd rather give pink an actual rank separate from white rather than it being the white spaceman who had their uniforms mixed in with the reds, also it kind of makes the pinks seem pointless.

4 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Green: Roboticist

Pink: Pilot who accidentally put his clothes in the wash at the same time as red. I'm standing by this one.

LBG: Treaded/ground vehicle driver... or maybe rocketry. Not sure.

That Green specialty makes a lot of sense, actually.

What figure is the LBG Spaceman?

And I realized that I forgot Pink :facepalm:, so...

Pink: Cook/Rations Officer.

Also, who's to say that some of the one off colors can't be unique characters? Pink being a laundry error or a female crewmember (one of them, perhaps) can be perfectly up to the user's headcanon. No right or wrong answer.

1 hour ago, ARC2149Nova said:

That Green specialty makes a lot of sense, actually.

What figure is the LBG Spaceman?

And I realized that I forgot Pink :facepalm:, so...

Pink: Cook/Rations Officer.

Also, who's to say that some of the one off colors can't be unique characters? Pink being a laundry error or a female crewmember (one of them, perhaps) can be perfectly up to the user's headcanon. No right or wrong answer.

Yeah, I was pretty happy with that one.

The Rocket boy from a CMF series comes with the torso, though you have to use different shades of gray for the helmet and tanks. Hence the rocketry thing.

The rations officer is a good choice, I might have to swap someone to that. Maybe Pink is Medical and Purple is rations, though I really like the washing machine joke. -Actually, you know what, I'm keeping Pink as it is, the spacemen will have to wait for another color to stop cooking their own food. I'm living on Mac and Cheese, they can too. :laugh:

Edited by Mandalorianknight

28 minutes ago, Inspecter said:

What if the next one is light pink then? If anything the joke would work better with that shade of pink.

Better mental exercise: What rank do you give Pink?

If Reds are shuttle pilots, maybe Pinks can be starship pilots...

I'm having our CMF6 Intergalactic Girl in mind here. She has a pink suit too.

On 12/2/2022 at 10:20 PM, Inspecter said:

Simple, Medics. Although chef/rations officer can work too.

Medics really does seem like the obvious choice for Pink, I just really like the washing machine joke. Maybe I'll have pinks be medics and just work a washing machine mishap into my space display. Adds another layer to the joke: The pilot is freaking out that he now has to go through medical school.

On 12/5/2022 at 9:18 AM, Mandalorianknight said:

The pilot is freaking out that he now has to go through medical school.

I love this! :laugh:

Folks, I had an epiphany. My new theory as to why we got a brown Spaceman in the CMF line is that somebody from Lego saw the potential to make a pun on Reservoir Dogs:

Mr White
Mr Blonde (yellow)
Mr Blue
Mr Orange
Mr Pink
Mr Brown

It all makes sense now!

On 8/11/2022 at 2:45 AM, Sir Dano said:

Wait, what was the question again? Their favourite drinks, right?

Addendum:

Light Bley: Water

Purple: Grape Soda

Brown: Root Beer