Reker1000000

7740 Inter-City Passenger Train: Review

Hello all,

A couple days back I posted a review on my YT channel about the 7740. I'm sure many of you know that set- it's a very iconic train, right up there with the Metroliner and Super Chief. I wanted to share it here for anyone looking for new information on it, or if you have no idea what the 7740 is and want to learn a little about the 12v system and its most iconic train. Hopefully this video contains valuable knowledge for you!

Great review as always with lots of interesting information. That set is in very nice condition.

I have the English, French Dutch box but it's in poor condition. The glue seems to have perished and the sides have separated from the back at the corners. I want to glue it back together to prevent further damage. Would you have any recommendations on the type of glue I should use on it?

And I - after 40 Years of waiting - have that train since two years as well :pir-love::pir-huzzah2: I love it. Like nothing else here ...

Very nice review!!! I really love your videos - they help me a lot in getting back into the days. Back then, I was allowed to watch only. My family was not anywhere close to the rich men's world ... 

Spoiler

It was in 1980 - actually entered my dark ages since 3 years back then - well, "dark" as in: No more playing with plastic bricks!!! No way. I had a girlfriend back then, met her 3 years earlier, in 1977. And then other things stole focus - but my friend (he had more or less the full 12V line available up to then (money must be funny in the rich men's world) ... just seeing that train back then - that feeling never ever faded: "One day, one day in the future ..." 

In 2020 future had arrived! My copy came from France - semi good condition (as it said on BL), but this is what I wanted: Seeing the years on it. It must have been sitting in some Southern-France sun; the gray roof pieces have nicely weathered, and the red bricks are a bit faded here and there. I love it - it looks like a 40 years old train treated well. I have added a PF receiver; to that one my IRRF hack, and 8 NiMH rechargeables to feed the train motor; PF easily handles that. The contacts of the 12V motor are "recessed" (OK, taped, duh) - these don't negotiate 9V switch points that well :pir-laugh:. And so my Sinclair ZX Spectrum from 1985 can nicely control that train from 1980.

Thanks again for the review!
All the best,
Thorsten

Spoiler

P.S.: This girl I met in 1977 - we married in 1997 - and this coming weekend, we will celebrate our 60th birthday with some folks from across the country - Northern Germany is a wonderful place for us - and cows, but barely any chemistry "places" up there ... and only one university. Did not work out that way :D  

On 8/6/2022 at 4:47 PM, ThePhatController said:

Great review as always with lots of interesting information. That set is in very nice condition.

I have the English, French Dutch box but it's in poor condition. The glue seems to have perished and the sides have separated from the back at the corners. I want to glue it back together to prevent further damage. Would you have any recommendations on the type of glue I should use on it?

Thanks for the comment! The set is indeed in great condition, just missing the tray lid. :hmpf_bad: I wish I could give a better answer on what type of glue to use, but unfortunately I've had no experience whatsoever with repairing boxes beyond a small piece of transparent tape here and there. In the video below (Lego12vFan is an excellent channel, by the way- learned so much from him, and he posted useful and interesting content, it's a shame he stopped posting...) he mentions that the earlier boxes may have had some sort of wood glue- but again, I have no idea what type of glue Lego used originally.

On 8/6/2022 at 7:07 PM, Maple said:

I never noticed the doors. Those doors are awesome!

The red and yellow train doors? Yep, those are pretty cool- prints on mine are still in clean condition. The old trains just had so much more than the newer ones... longer passenger wagons, opening doors, detailed interiors, and so much more- and this is why in my opinion Lego will never top 12v trains!

On 8/8/2022 at 4:17 PM, Toastie said:

And I - after 40 Years of waiting - have that train since two years as well :pir-love::pir-huzzah2: I love it. Like nothing else here ...

Very nice review!!! I really love your videos - they help me a lot in getting back into the days. Back then, I was allowed to watch only. My family was not anywhere close to the rich men's world ... 

Reveal hidden contents

It was in 1980 - actually entered my dark ages since 3 years back then - well, "dark" as in: No more playing with plastic bricks!!! No way. I had a girlfriend back then, met her 3 years earlier, in 1977. And then other things stole focus - but my friend (he had more or less the full 12V line available up to then (money must be funny in the rich men's world) ... just seeing that train back then - that feeling never ever faded: "One day, one day in the future ..." 

In 2020 future had arrived! My copy came from France - semi good condition (as it said on BL), but this is what I wanted: Seeing the years on it. It must have been sitting in some Southern-France sun; the gray roof pieces have nicely weathered, and the red bricks are a bit faded here and there. I love it - it looks like a 40 years old train treated well. I have added a PF receiver; to that one my IRRF hack, and 8 NiMH rechargeables to feed the train motor; PF easily handles that. The contacts of the 12V motor are "recessed" (OK, taped, duh) - these don't negotiate 9V switch points that well :pir-laugh:. And so my Sinclair ZX Spectrum from 1985 can nicely control that train from 1980.

Thanks again for the review!
All the best,
Thorsten

Reveal hidden contents

Hey Thorsten! Thanks for the comment. Wow, what a story... Glad you were finally able to get a nice copy of the set after waiting so long! And, a happy 60th birthday to you! :pir-huzzah2: In the end, you got married AND obtained the legendary 7740... I'd say that's a win on both counts :laugh_hard:

Thanks again for all the nice comments. I'm happy my reviews/videos are informative and people are enjoying watching them!

1 hour ago, Reker1000000 said:

The red and yellow train doors? Yep, those are pretty cool- prints on mine are still in clean condition. The old trains just had so much more than the newer ones... longer passenger wagons, opening doors, detailed interiors, and so much more- and this is why in my opinion Lego will never top 12v trains!

Yeah, never realized they did yellow with red print before. So nice. 12V is before my time but my mom found a 12V train engine at a tag sale lot years ago. It turned out to be the one LEGO remade last year or 2020 for a GWP. It worked, but didn't have wheels. Like a year later I found some wheels at a flea market. Was thrilled... no longer worked.... grrr.... I should look into why it stopped.

The train doors are one of my favorite pieces and I really wish LEGO would make both the left and the right in more colors.

On 8/9/2022 at 10:49 PM, Maple said:

Yeah, never realized they did yellow with red print before. So nice. 12V is before my time but my mom found a 12V train engine at a tag sale lot years ago. It turned out to be the one LEGO remade last year or 2020 for a GWP. It worked, but didn't have wheels. Like a year later I found some wheels at a flea market. Was thrilled... no longer worked.... grrr.... I should look into why it stopped.

The train doors are one of my favorite pieces and I really wish LEGO would make both the left and the right in more colors.

Ah, 7810? I believe that was the one they remade (as set 40370), although there may be another. That one is originally a push train- did you have it with a 12v motor installed? I've done that with my copy of the set, it's quite easy to upgrade.

On 8/11/2022 at 3:22 AM, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

I am happy to see that your collection is gaining consistency! :thumbup::thumbup:

Yup! Hopefully next is a boxed copy of 7760 to complete the 1980 lineup, although I have to save up first... those aren't cheap, and I'd like to get mine at least with the inner tray.

21 hours ago, Reker1000000 said:

Ah, 7810? I believe that was the one they remade (as set 40370), although there may be another. That one is originally a push train- did you have it with a 12v motor installed? I've done that with my copy of the set, it's quite easy to upgrade.

Yup! Hopefully next is a boxed copy of 7760 to complete the 1980 lineup, although I have to save up first... those aren't cheap, and I'd like to get mine at least with the inner tray.

Mine looks exactly like 7810 but has the engine with USA 3C sized batteries. (I don't know if batteries have different sizes in other countries.) The set number is 7722. Sadly none of it works. It looks like there is a tiny amount of rust on the inside that might be preventing it from going. I'll see how much I have of it and take pictures when I have the chance.

Edited by Maple