Ecclesiastes

Celebrating Guilds of Historica, final contest!

Results:

A

1st place: @soccerkid6
"Soccerkid6's entry looms above the rest - if the great color scheme and composition won't win you over, all the intricate interiors will!"

2nd place: @MrLind
"MrLind's entry won me over with the totally unique arrangement of buildings around the canal. It creates a challenge for presentation - the loving interiors more than make up for that though!"

B

1st place: @Gideon

2nd place: @Louis of Nutwood

C

1st place: @Zilmrud

2nd place: @LittleJohn

Raffle winner:
@kahir88

Congrats winners! Please contact me for shipping info!

52366208349_cd0d54c8aa_c.jpg

We'll finally start with the last of the challenges by celebrating the Guilds of Historica's anniversary properly. We have three categories that fit the Guild's history perfectly. And because it's all about creativity in building and storytelling we have a long time frame to give Guildies plenty of time to build to show the world that Historica truly is "The castle MOCers paradise"!

We also have the largest prize pool to date. Sure it's about worldbuilding, but it's always a nice incentive. So behold and feast your eyes:

52365920381_21e91a83cd_o.png

So without further ado:

GoH 10 A: Life in Cedrica

Built a part of Historica's capital on a 32x32 base "Ninjago City" style. So make sure it has a part of water, connector bricks at the right spots and of course interiors! It can be a rural part, fortified barracks, harbor, etc. It can even be 2x 16x32. For example: 

52366134638_d4d31fc3fe_n.jpg  52366134958_65798c5b19_n.jpg  52366134693_cab44231fd_n.jpg

1st Prize: 31120 +Awesome printed commemorative bricks and some goodies.
2nd Prize: 71735 +Awesome printed commemorative bricks and some goodies.

Goh 10 B: Old but Gold

Pick one of your previous Guild mocs and rebuild it showing the progress we Guildies made as lego builders over the years. It must be clear that it's a similar setting or building!

For example:

Old watchtower next to a river compared to a newer version:

7071339763_78937cf361.jpg 7143057499_6f957b196c.jpg

1st Prize: 31132 +Awesome printed commemorative bricks and some goodies.
2nd Prize: 76205 +Awesome printed commemorative bricks and some goodies.

Goh 10 C: Miscellaneous

Just... go... nuts! It can be small and glorious or big and impressive. Just make sure it tells a solid story about your sigfig!

1st Prize: 21325 +Awesome printed commemorative bricks and some goodies.
2nd Prize: 71746 +Awesome printed commemorative bricks and some goodies.

Raffle: Just for fun there will be raffle among all entries and you can win a Cedrica Guard +Awesome printed commemorative bricks and some goodies. 

General Rules:

-As stated in the previous preludes you need to have at least two other Guild mocs that aren't entries for joining this challenge.

-Post your finished mocs in the right thread with the proper title like Goh 10 C: (your title of the moc)  

-Deadline February 28 2023  April 2nd!!

-We have the right to change any rule if needed.

Entry Threads:

GoH 10 A

GoH 10 B

GoH 10 C

Oooh, here it is!! I'm liking the Old but Gold category in particular. And what a prize pool! :pir-stareyes:

Three questions to further flesh out the rules:

• Do entries have to be completely new, or can you finish WIPs that you started before August 1?
  • Can you post multiple entries for the same category? 
  • Are digital entries allowed?

1 hour ago, Sympatik Brick said:

I have a question too:

For the « Old but Gold » contest…

can we change the scale of the Moc? A vignette becoming a 32x32 baseplate is allowed?

Math is not my strong point, but it seems to me that the example builds given in the prompt increased the size of the footprint from one to the next (I didn't count, but just eyeballed it...). I would say, go nuts. Make it bigger, more detailed, more elaborate and fancy in every way. Because why not? It's a celebration!

On 9/26/2022 at 11:29 AM, Exetrius said:
  • Do entries have to be completely new, or can you finish WIPs that you started before August 1?
  • Can you post multiple entries for the same category? 
  • Are digital entries allowed?
  • Anything that hasn't been shown online before the start of this contest can be used. I have a few wips lying around, never posted, that could serve as base or inspiration for any of the categories.
  • Yes, though focusing on making something for each categorie might be smarter if you want a better chance on winning any of the prizes.
  • Sure, no elements in weird colors allowed though!:sadnew:

Hi there!

I have another question:

GoH10a : Life in Cedrica - Is it ok if there’s a bit of overhang or should it fit perfectly in a 32x32 baseplate (roofs, trees, vegetation)

I don’t have any overhang at the moment but I prefer to ask before it happens.😉

Edited by Sympatik Brick
it happens!

Great categories fitting the celebration very well! Can’t wait to see all the world-building we’re going to get in the coming months :classic:

come on :pir-love:. I might start planning my next big project hehe :pir-laugh:

For the Cedrica category, it would be great to have the "Cedrica modular standard" defined.
I've gotten questions from LUG friends who are thinking about building for this, and we are used to clear CB interface standards (e.g. Castonia 2.0 as displayed in Skaerbaek)

From photos on Flickr, I interpret the standard as:

• 3 studs water (baseplate + dark green + trans-clear)
  • 3 studs walkway (2 bricks + plate at the interface) 
  • Technic brick at stud 10-11
  • Technic brick at stud 22-23, with a walkway on top (2 brick + plate high at the interface)
  • 9 studs water (baseplate + dark green + trans-clear)

51106467494_70dee29c1f_z.jpg

First Floor by Marco den Besten, on Flickr

Not a bad idea… except that people should have began their Moc already (mine is really advanced)

I guess it could be cool for you and your Lug friends to choose a standard… it could became a big diorama of Cedrica.

By the way. Where could I read more about Cedrica’s description. I don’t remember it should be a Venice-like city!?

On 9/29/2022 at 8:40 AM, Sympatik Brick said:

GoH10a : Life in Cedrica - Is it ok if there’s a bit of overhang or should it fit perfectly in a 32x32 baseplate (roofs, trees, vegetation)

I don’t have any overhang at the moment but I prefer to ask before it happens.😉

A little overhang is allowed, as is shown in my examples and even in the Ninjago City sets. Keep in mind that it should be more on the back and front, because on the sides it would prevent it from being able to connect to another building.

On 10/6/2022 at 11:05 PM, Sympatik Brick said:

By the way. Where could I read more about Cedrica’s description. I don’t remember it should be a Venice-like city!?

Not much is written about Cedrica, that's why we are giving it attention now. I do find it funny that it's being compared to Venice. Plenty of old cities used to have canals as it was a perfect way of transport. Cities like Amsterdam and Utrecht for example here in The Netherlands. And those aren't located in the middle of the sea like Venice. 

Oh, I love this, I'll definitely revisit an old build!

Have been quite inactive but checking for new challenges every now and a while, glad that I stumbled upon this :)

On 10/6/2022 at 5:48 AM, Gideon said:

For the Cedrica category, it would be great to have the "Cedrica modular standard" defined.
I've gotten questions from LUG friends who are thinking about building for this, and we are used to clear CB interface standards (e.g. Castonia 2.0 as displayed in Skaerbaek)

From photos on Flickr, I interpret the standard as:

• 3 studs water (baseplate + dark green + trans-clear)
  • 3 studs walkway (2 bricks + plate at the interface) 
  • Technic brick at stud 10-11
  • Technic brick at stud 22-23, with a walkway on top (2 brick + plate high at the interface)
  • 9 studs water (baseplate + dark green + trans-clear)

51106467494_70dee29c1f_z.jpg

First Floor by Marco den Besten, on Flickr

That seems to accord pretty well with the Ninjago City standard, though the water color is different there (black with trans-light blue on top, which is the color I would use, since I don’t have nearly the trans-clear collection to pull it off with that). I suspect that the amount of water in the back, whether 9 studs wide/deep or more, or less, is changeable, given that it is on the Ninjago City sets, even if they do line up with each other pretty well still. But three studs wide/deep of water on the front seems standard. The lower, water-level Ninjago walkway looks to be 4 studs wide, which is what I would go for myself. The height looks like 2 bricks plus 2 plates on top of the baseplate, though I would likely do 1 plate and 1 tile, given that I don’t like so many exposed studs. 

Daaaaamn... Where was I when this was announced? :D

I'm throwing everything away, and starting building! :D

On 10/24/2022 at 4:55 PM, kahir88 said:

I'm throwing everything away, and starting building! :D

Good to hear!:grin::thumbup:

52484572704_198ef2958c.jpg

I started as well! It also might be a good example of how little water you need to make sure it meets the "Ninjago City"(and now of course Cedrica City) standards.

Here's my entry for category B: Old but Gold

Currently thinking about my entry for the "Old but Gold" category (haven't started building yet). My oldest GoH MOC is from 2019 - a brick-built centaur with an archer operating as a "tail-gunner" on her back. I'd love to update it; my centaur design has changed quite a bit since then. I'm thinking about having the centaur pull a chariot (inspired by this illustration I found online) instead of having someone on their back. Is that too much of a departure from the original MOC to qualify for the category? 

In short, the basic/underlying concept (centaur tailgunner) is the same; the execution (mount vs chariot) is way different, though.