Coder Shah

My fan model is now in the official Mindstorms app!

Very proud to say that my fan model is now in the official Mindstorms app! There's also an update that allows machine learning too! Have fun!

Wow, that sounds really cool!

Do you know more / is there more info about the machine learning update? Is that enabled by Python programming or something else?

1 hour ago, gyenesvi said:

Wow, that sounds really cool!

Do you know more / is there more info about the machine learning update? Is that enabled by Python programming or something else?

It uses the word blocks. Basically you train the machine learning model to recognise either pictures or sounds by providing many examples to it, and after the model has ben trained, it will recognise either the picture or sound you trained it on. You'll need to install the updated Mindstorms app on to your device (iOS, Android, Mac or PC) as It makes use of the device camera (to recognise pictures) or the device microphone (to recognise sounds). I'll do a video when I have time.

Congratulations. That’s quite an achievement 👍🏻.

I’ve not dabbled with Mindstorms although I have got a couple of sets somewhere that were in a job lot of Lego I bought a few years ago. 

On 8/1/2022 at 4:47 PM, Coder Shah said:

It uses the word blocks. Basically you train the machine learning model to recognise either pictures or sounds by providing many examples to it, and after the model has ben trained, it will recognise either the picture or sound you trained it on. You'll need to install the updated Mindstorms app on to your device (iOS, Android, Mac or PC) as It makes use of the device camera (to recognise pictures) or the device microphone (to recognise sounds). I'll do a video when I have time.

Thanks for the info, so that's some kind of built-in learning algorithm that you can use for those specific tasks (I thought you can program your own to work with Mindstorms sensors and motors). Anyway, nice addition!

Interesting! Nice that it can differentiate 3-4 classes by using only ~50 examples, though that's probably because the objects are really simple (practically no within-class diversity) and sufficiently different (large inter-class diversity), they can be recognized basically by a few colors. Will you try to scale it up? I wonder how that could be trained, for example to recognize cats and dogs. I expect that it would need much more images (thousands), because of large within-class diversity and more similarity between classes. Also, to avoid false positives, you'd need a lot of and diverse background images. Curious to see future developments!

But "Mindstorms" as a theme/line/developing project is coming to an end, rather sooner than later, right? I am so frustrated about that ...

Best,
Thorsten

7 hours ago, Toastie said:

But "Mindstorms" as a theme/line/developing project is coming to an end, rather sooner than later, right? I am so frustrated about that ...

Best,
Thorsten

You're not wrong, the retail Mindstorms set is coming to an end, but as you have pointed out before, you can still program all the previous Mindstorms sets using either native or community developed apps, and there's already stuff like PyBricks which you can use once LEGO stops development of the retail Mindstorms app. 

Also bear in mind that SPIKE Prime will still be going on for the foreseeable future due to its importance for LEGO Education and FLL.

As for me, I foresee that I'll still happily be playing with my sets and posting my builds online regardless what LEGO does.

And this happened today. LOL. Seems the socmed team can't tell the difference between Boost and Mindstorms.