Sign in to follow this  
jorgeopesi

6 inline fake small engine

I was trying to do a truck and I was not able to fit the standar small 6 inline fake engine so this one came to my mind, could it be?. It is more easy to do that I thought ( I thought I would have problems witn my fingers and the string) and of course it can be improve a lot because this is the very first try. I do not know if it had been done before so forgive me in that case.

5 seconds video as I like

zZ9Lg7d.jpg

ANzE8Sk.jpg

Is that thin piece of string from some Lego set?

Good small, but looks more like the valves control of an engine with these lobes (no constant acceleration/deceleration).

9 minutes ago, Mr Jos said:

Is that thin piece of string from some Lego set?

Good small, but looks more like the valves control of an engine with these lobes (no constant acceleration/deceleration).

Could it be if I cut one :laugh: . Of course it is just a representation of something going up and down but sometimes you do not have room enough for an engine but you still want the transmision to end up in something that shows it.

Edited by jorgeopesi

Just now, jorgeopesi said:

Could it be if I cut one :laugh: .

Ah ok, just thought I hadn't seen that piece of string before (that short/color/thickness) from Lego, and supposed as the purist you are, who doesn't like non-Lego parts being added to a MOC you would stick with a piece of original Lego string :wink:

Thanks! This is a great idea for how to simulate working valves for fake engines! I have been looking into that problem for years without finding a good solution. But the half L bushes is a great idea if it is combined by a crankshaft that requires less space... And an idea for that came up in the copetiotion to make small cars for the car transporter sets a while ago. Simply stack low 1 stud tiles and connect them to a axle and you have it. 

I will do some experiments :)

Edited by Nazgarot

I wonder, id this idea can be developed by using more system parts, and then get rid of that string.

The string is the missing part in all the experiments I've done. It saves a lot of space for making the valves/pistons. I find i very hard to make anything this compact without that ingenious solution, but if someone can come up with something better I'm all ears.

Best of luck trying. We as a community might be onto a new super-compact solution for fake engines. This reminds me of some of the collaborate projects back when I first discovered Eurobricks. :) 

_ED_

This is a really clever solution. I instantly think of passenger cars in Mack scale
I like this concept and will def build it, trying with this string: LEGO PART 56823c50 String Cord Thin 50cm from 42075.

If you put two more 1x3 system plates on the other side of the 5L halfbeams and use a more vibrant color, this could easily be a nice cylinder head for a nippon tuner car.

@Nazgarot Didn't the tile-built crankshaft also require one stud for one cylinder? As far as I remember it had its advantages when building a small V8... maybe I'm wrong, nvm then.

Hi everybody,

When I saw this thread some days ago I played a litle with the idea, trying to do it with the parts I have.

Yesterday I continued playing and did this (careful noisy!) :

The parts:

800x450.jpg

One drawback might be the usage of a String with End Stud and Bar 1L, 13L Overall. I have one that I got in some used lego lot... I didn´t now they were so expensive.

Hope you like it!