Hi guys and gals,

as I'm still waiting for parts to finish my Mecalac MOC, I started building another project, I had in mind a long time ago: A Claas Torion model 1914 or 2014. In contrast to other great MOCs of wheel loaders (e.g. @effermans brilliant Liebherr) I went for a pneumatic version. The reasons are mostly due to the haystack grapper, I'd like to attach, which will be a Meijer Holland Rambo 6. So the final model will look like this:

Real.png

(copyright: Agrar Paparazzi from this video)

I started with the rear axle, which is nice and sturdy (symetrical all the way). The technic crankshafts are limiting the suspension travel. Ground clearance is 4...5 studs all the way through.

Hinterachse.png

The hardest part for now has been the gearbox, enabling 4 pneumatic functions: Lift, tilt and 2 haystack grabbers. I know, the use of large linear actuators may be better and can be used simultaniously, but I'd like to see how this will turn out and needed pneumatic function for the gripper :-)

Has anybody already tried building with such pneumatic gearbox? I couldn't come up with a smaller solution...

Interior.png

All will be driven by a Buwizz 3:

- 2 XL PF-Motors for drive
- 1 Spike Medium Angular Motor for steering with 2 small LAs
- 1 Large PU-Motor for pump
- 1 Large PU-Motor for selection of pneumatic valve
- 1 Large PU-Motor for activation of pneumatic valve

Routing of the pneumatic hoses will be a big challenge, same goes for the p-kinematic of the arm, so called "agricultrural arrangement" with the cylinder on top. Here is the current state and my test build with mismatched colours. The new DBG pneumatic cylinders will fit perfectly here ;-)

My plan is to make the outer shell in removable assemblies, so the interior can still be exposed. Really open for ideas and suggestions! :-)

Gesamt.png

Bild.jpg

Johannes, somehow I would prefer using PF elements or PU only, can you please show what gearing you use with XL motors; my suggestion upgrade them with 40 to 24 tooth (and use coupled in longitudinal position.; I have tried it transversal on my Fastrac 8330 but didn't work, so I have switched to 2 PF L motors instead; IMHO it could be that only one XL motor will be sufficient - it is not tractor or truck that needs to pull heavier weight)

...and in your case new dark bluish gray pneumatic cylinders will be real blessing

Kind regards buddy

Very nice chassis so far. I am curious how it will turn out. It will be very good, never mind. :wink:  Good idea for the gearbox pneumatics.

This is a stud.io file that has @philo's BW3 in it if you are interested.

Cool project, nice to follow the WIP on this MOC. What is the distance between the axles and the pivot point. Seems to be 11?

Edited by GerritvdG
Between

57 minutes ago, 1gor said:

Johannes, somehow I would prefer using PF elements or PU only, can you please show what gearing you use with XL motors; my suggestion upgrade them with 40 to 24 tooth (and use coupled in longitudinal position.; I have tried it transversal on my Fastrac 8330 but didn't work, so I have switched to 2 PF L motors instead; IMHO it could be that only one XL motor will be sufficient - it is not tractor or truck that needs to pull heavier weight)

...and in your case new dark bluish gray pneumatic cylinders will be real blessing

Kind regards buddy

Thanks for the suggestion, Igor! Buwizz 3 allows for both PU+PF, and I'll still gather experience for buwizz, so I'll try :-)

You are right with the motors, I'd tried to make the backend slope like the original, but maybe you config will be better suited. But only one XL for a rather heavy model seems too weak for me. Have had the bad experience with my Liebherr T264, where 1 PF XL-Motor had to be geared down very much to make it sufficiently strong for.

19 minutes ago, Jayden said:

Very nice chassis so far. I am curious how it will turn out. It will be very good, never mind. :wink:  Good idea for the gearbox pneumatics.

This is a stud.io file that has @philo's BW3 in it if you are interested.

Thank you very much!

1 minute ago, GerritvdG said:

Cool project, nice to follow the WIP on this MOC. What is the distance the axles and the pivot point. Seems to be 11?

Thanks, Gerri :-) You're right, distance is 11 studs.

In reality, it's nearly in the middle between the axles, but there wasn't enough space...

Vergleich.png

Edited by Jundis

3 minutes ago, Jundis said:

Thank you very much!

You're welcome, I hope you have a good file to put it in. :tongue:

When you gear down XL motor it run inconsistent, so you have to gear it up to make it consistent (you are lowering very high torque of XL motor).

I don't have experience with BuWizz simply it is way to expensive for me (even rechargeable battery box is to expensive)

I've thought of building the Torion as a MOC before (as I already made a CLAAS MOC back in 2018), but looks like you beat me to it, lol. Great use of the lime Technic bricks for the arms - that was what I was thinking of using for the arms if I were to have done this MOC. The arm should look even better now that we have the DBG pneumatic cylinders.

Great to see another one, i was kind of tired of all the yellow only wheelloaders so i builded one too. but with system exterior. see photo below. 

mine is also pneumatic but maybe smaller in proportions since i was barely able to fir there 3x C+ L motor 1x C+ XL motor and C+ hub. and sariel pump switch combos, i suggest to have at least 3 pumps for pneumatic circuit and strong engine to power them to get strong and responsive operation since i have only two and its a bit slow. 

but buwizz 3.0 may improove it. 

1280x960.png

@mktechniccreations your Torion is very nice; I'm really sorry if I mist it, but your build it would be valuable to have of it's own topic, so we can enjoy more photos of it.

1 minute ago, 1gor said:

@mktechniccreations your Torion is very nice; I'm really sorry if I mist it, but your build it would be valuable to have of it's own topic, so we can enjoy more photos of it.

you didnt missed anything, i am about to release it within a week and i planed to put here full article about this in the day of release too. 

3 minutes ago, mktechniccreations said:

you didnt missed anything, i am about to release it within a week and i planed to put here full article about this in the day of release too. 

Looking forward for that. :sweet:

11 hours ago, mktechniccreations said:

Great to see another one, i was kind of tired of all the yellow only wheelloaders so i builded one too. but with system exterior. see photo below. 

Holy moly, this thing looks good.... :look:

I am really curious about the interior an motor placement. I'll stick to a classic technic build as I am not that good with model team building style :D

mine is also pneumatic but maybe smaller in proportions

What is the wheel base of your model?

i suggest to have at least 3 pumps for pneumatic circuit

My plan was to use 2, but I should have enough space for 3. Also I am not using Sariels Combo but a single L-Motor and a Tank, which should be fine.

1 hour ago, Jundis said:

I am really curious about the interior an motor placement.

I will share that later at the weekend if you want. But it was really challenging to púť eversthing in there. 

1 hour ago, Jundis said:

What is the wheel base of your model?

20 cm if i remeber correctly. I made it in 1:17 scale 

1 hour ago, Jundis said:

My plan was to use 2, but I should have enough space for 3. Also I am not using Sariels Combo but a single L-Motor and a Tank, which should be fine

You should be fine if using pneumatic tank and keeping it presurised all the tíme. I am not running tank so I have slower response 

2 hours ago, mktechniccreations said:

There you are. this was redesigned over 5 times.

This is a cool build! I will now definately go with 2 pneumatic pumps, in combination with the tank I think it will be ok. :-)

Some questions as I am really curious about your build:

Is there a fake engine above the pneumatic pumps or why did you nee that much space?

Also: How well does the XL motor drive this thing?

Do you have a pendular rear axle? If not, did you place the front axle one stud lower still to get this kind of inwards tilt of the front section when steered?

There is no fake engine, i planed it but after overlaying it with real model there was simply no space left. the bonet right at the motor. 

XL motor i would describe as not great not terrible, but i am planing to switch to buwizz 3.0 since this one is powered by original battery box, also fort pneumatic pumps it would help to have more juice.

axle is not pendular or anything, it was at early stage but due to rigidity and complexity of the model and scale limitations i had to do simple rigid chassis. 

On 7/27/2022 at 8:05 PM, mktechniccreations said:

This is terrific. It’s really nice to see the ‘Claas green’ in what’s so often a sea of yellow. Also, pneumatics, something we don’t see very much of. I look forward to seeing more photos.

I saw what looked like one of these on a trailer going into our local Claas dealer a week or so ago. A real one. Putting a Lego model on a 12m trailer would be just silly 😉

3 minutes ago, grum64 said:

This is terrific. It’s really nice to see the ‘Claas green’ in what’s so often a sea of yellow.  

And I thought that you like my Fastracs...silly me :wacko:

39 minutes ago, 1gor said:

Why can't we be fans of both? I like yellow equipment, but sometimes a distinguished colour is just the thing that can make the model more appealing ;-)

For example a Zettelmeyer from the THW:

362963-large.jpg

2 hours ago, 1gor said:

Oh I do, I’m a big fan of your Fastracs. I’m a big fan of all tractors, large or small and agricultural equipment in general.

I live in the Cambridgeshire Fens and you can’t go far without coming across a very large tractor, Fastrac, Claas, Fendt etc, usually hauling a very large trailer full to the brim with freshly harvested produce. A good few of these go overboard much to the dismay of the driver following far to close in an impatient effort to get past it.

Edited by grum64

Gentlemen ( @grum64 and @Jundis ), I was just joking

2 hours ago, Jundis said:

Why can't we be fans of both? I like yellow equipment, but sometimes a distinguished colour is just the thing that can make the model more appealing ;-)

For example a Zettelmeyer from the THW:

Or this one combination

telescopic-handlers-lm-7-42-elite-new-ho

interesting! never knew claas also made wheeled loaders, only knew them for their tractors and harvesters

21 minutes ago, XG BC said:

interesting! never knew claas also made wheeled loaders, only knew them for their tractors and harvesters

It is co-operation with Liebherr (like also for telehandler Scorpion)

https://www.claas-group.com/press-corporate-communications/press-releases/claas-presents-the-new-torion---the-first-wheel-loader-designed-for-agricultural-use-/1417276