Sign in to follow this  
Thomas Waagenaar

[OL - FB] Lacroix Oliveyard, a quiet start

After having lived in the city for as long as they remember, Jean-Luc Lacroix and his wife Rosalie decided to buy an oliveyard out in the hills near Lavalette. 
Their sons having left to work at sea or other jobs out in the new world. One of them even talked about some organisation that deals with artifacts or something, they didn't really pay attention to
it and figured he'd just be a smuggler, like his grandfather.

Right now, the oliveyard is still sitting empty, with little to no activity. They still have to hire hands to work in the field and they haven't even packed their stuff to move over yet.
But they're ever so excited to finally have have a lovely place that isn't the busy city life anymore. They were done with that.

52229802701_8b87ab5c99_b.jpg
Lacroix Oliveyard by Thomas Waagenaar

52229802656_5e59ccffea_b.jpg

52230073114_9c9bba72db_b.jpg

52230283960_163d2c3e79_b.jpg

OOC: This is the start of what is essentially supposed to become a large setting, with multiple large expansions. The trees were definitely the biggest hurdle, especially the small olive trees, as I struggled getting the 'chaotic' look of them across. So I hope they look properly like olive trees! Feedback is always welcome, especially since I do want to greatly expand upon this base! ^^

Edited by Thomas Waagenaar

beautiful.. really get the feeling you where trying to create! the house and the yard are just great.

Beautiful build, the olive trees are instantly recognisable! You really managed to capture the southern Italy/France/Spain country villa esthetic.

This is really really cool, love the olive trees and the slightly muted colorscheme (pink flowers are a great little bit of contrasting touch!).  The sand green shutters are sweet too.

That's a fine cypress tree! The olive grove is spot on and the structure's detailing, especially the pantile roof and multiple chimneys is very convincing! 

This is a beautiful oliveyard! :pir-love: I like the architecture of the different buildings. Everything is built very nicely and detailed. The olive plants are elaborately built.

I enjoyed following the wips on discord, and the result is really nice. Your olive trees really look great, and having hiked a bit in Italy, the villa and the surroundings really do have that vibe. It's a bit less green than Tuscany, but it is still beautiful! I like your well placed "clutter" like the little boxes and amphorae and the different sections of the buildings really make it look very real.

Great job!

Yes! I've been waiting to see the finished product! Like Bregir mentioned it was great to follow the WIPs for this on discord! Great work all around. I really like the colours, the design of the building and those olive trees are really lovely!!! Really great work!

13 hours ago, Fraunces said:

-Snip-

Thank you! Glad to hear that the 'vibe' is coming across! ^^

12 hours ago, Justsomebrix said:

-Snip-

Thanks!

8 hours ago, Kai NRG said:

-Snip-

Thank you! 

8 hours ago, Jeff of Clubs said:

-Snip-

Thank you! Glad you like the roof, it honestly took forever trying to "randomise" the colours 😅

3 hours ago, NOD said:

-Snip-

Thanks! ^^

2 hours ago, Bregir said:

-Snip-

Thanks! Glad you like it, I have only been there once when it was extremely dry, so not really green but mostly beige/brown in my experience 😅

1 hour ago, Ayrlego said:

-Snip-

Thanks! Although I couldn't have done it without some your suggestions! 

1 hour ago, Professor Thaum said:

-Snip-

Thank you! Glad you like it! 

52 minutes ago, Spud The Viking said:

-Snip-

Thanks! :D

16 hours ago, Thomas Waagenaar said:

One of them even talked about some organisation that deals with artifacts or something

Casually dropping breadcrumbs are we? Gonna remember this. Especially as my Knights Treasurer are just such an organisation...

Build is fantastic. Excellent work. 

Absolutely lovely. I'm afraid I cannot add too many more compliments, but I would echo what others have written. The building is very nicely done with just enough wear, you have some very nice techniques on the olive trees, and I think the thin cypress tree and flowers add a little color to the otherwise earthtone build. Overall, great Lego techniques/design with lovely colors to make it look beautiful. 

28 minutes ago, Professor Thaum said:

I think my next comment will be -snip-

@Thomas Waagenaar seems to love this kind of comment

Haha, it's to make the comments a bit shorter rather than an even bigger block of text 😂

2 hours ago, Captain Genaro said:

-Snip-

Thank you!

5 hours ago, Ross Fisher said:

Casually dropping breadcrumbs are we? -Snip-

Thanks! And possibly, I will and shall deny everything! ^^

What a great build! It's instantly recognizable as something mediterranean and you did a nice job on the trees and vegetation.

Like someone else already noted, perhaps a touch of green would make it feel more 'alive'. The terrain looks rather arid and dead right now with all the sandy/earthy tones.

In any case: it will be interesting to see this being expanded upon.