Darkdragon

LEGO Atari 2600 Set

Screen Shot 2022-07-19 at 9.47.38 AM.png

Set: LEGO® ICONS™ Atari® 2600
Release: August 1, 2022
Pieces: 2532
Price (US): $240
(9 cents ppp)

The latest reveal of an Icon 90th Anniversary set.

Did anyone see this one coming? It's definitely not what I expected to be announced today.

What do you think of this set? I'm really excited about it. Love the small builds and the whole design!

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/atari-2600-10306

52227076921_83290da2dd_b.jpg

52227559455_1085627506_b.jpg

52227086463_faf6ba316a_c.jpg

52226067582_66bc342fab_b.jpg

I love the Galaxy Explorer (on the asteroid cartridge and poster) and Johnny Thunder (poster) stickers.

I just wish the poster's were printed!

It's been rumoured for many months and is actually different than the rumours said.

It's fine. Too many stickers and at least $60 overpriced. Not much else to say.

37 minutes ago, mrcngrck said:

boooring

You wouldn't have Sony Play Station (any of them), Sega Genesis, or the NES, without the Atari 2600.

My dad got his while he was in college (I think). He's still got it, and he's pretty excited.

It certainly is part of Video Game history 70s-early 80s., at least the console era before the video game crash (in the US), and right before the rise of Home Computers and Nintendo/Sega afterwards.

I never had experience with an Atari, but comparable console and home computer from the same era.

Edited by TeriXeri

I think this is pretty neat. I never had an Atari 2600 (before my time, lol), but I've picked up some recognition of it and its games via some of the media I grew up that referenced it (like the classic early 2000s internet series Homestar Runner).

I love the way this mixes nostalgia for that era with Lego references, like the Indiana Jones-inspired "Johnny Thunder" poster, the Yellow Castle and classic-looking dragon for the game Adventure, and the use of the new Galaxy Explorer on the boxart and poster for "Asteroids" (a two-way reference given the Asteroids-inspired screen in the new Galaxy Explorer!)

And as soon as I saw this set I knew it HAD to be a Chris McVeigh design. Before he was hired by Lego one of the types of MOCs he was known for was retro computers and video game systems like this, so it's great to see him being able to continue pursuing those passions in an official capacity!

Man, as someone who had one as a kid, this takes me back. Dead on, and even prettier than the actual! lol! The cartridge rack and everything is bringing back child hood memories, and I eventually picked up the nintendo for the same reason. But with so many amazing sets coming, this may have to wait.

Just too many big priced sets in too many themes nowadays. Something has got to give!

Everyone Better buy this Set,getting a new Brick-Built Console every Year would be so much Fun!

Hopefully a DS for 2023?

4 hours ago, Frizzlefry25 said:

The cartridge rack and everything is bringing back child hood memories

Right? I don't think many of the people commenting (mostly in other areas, EB is more adult) even understand how much of a big deal that rack is. :wub: 

9 hours ago, Murdoch17 said:

You wouldn't have Sony Play Station (any of them), Sega Genesis, or the NES, without the Atari 2600.

My dad got his while he was in college (I think). He's still got it, and he's pretty excited.

Now we have had all these overrated B series home computers...

Up for the most sold computer ever... the Commodore 64 with Cassette recorder or 1541 diskdrive.

Edited by JaBaCaDaBra

6 hours ago, Frizzlefry25 said:

Man, as someone who had one as a kid, this takes me back. Dead on, and even prettier than the actual! lol! The cartridge rack and everything is bringing back child hood memories, and I eventually picked up the nintendo for the same reason. But with so many amazing sets coming, this may have to wait.

Just too many big priced sets in too many themes nowadays. Something has got to give!

This. I love everything about this set & I certainly hope to pick it up but there’s just so much on my list that is sitting on top of it. 

6 hours ago, Thena said:

We're waiting Super Nintendo and Nintendo Switch.

The Nintendo Switch will most likely have to wait until 2047 for it's 30th Anniversary, as it just came out in 2017. This Atari set is celebrating the 1980's with that decade ending 30+ years ago.

As for the Super Nintendo it is more likely to be made.... but not by much. It came out in the very early 1990's, yes. However, it's not as memorable as, say, the NES or Atari 2600, Play Station 1, or even Sega Genesis. I had actually never heard of a Super Nintendo before, and had to research it for this post... but that's not saying much, as I don't usually play video games. (Can't find one I like)

Edited by Murdoch17

18 hours ago, Murdoch17 said:

i just like toys not overpriced display pieces

Edited by mrcngrck

27 minutes ago, mrcngrck said:

That's fine, it's not for you. That doesn't necessarily make it boring or discount other opinions that it's a cool set.

2 hours ago, mrcngrck said:

I know what you mean. This is definitely a display piece. 

I remember playing with one as a kid so I have the memory factor tempting me. 

The price is just too much. If you wanted a 2600 on display you can buy an original working one for less money than this set. 

Personally I think they should have left out the opening section and possibly the mini builds and priced it at the same original cost of the 2600 when it came out. 

I like the cartridges though, definitely possibilities of making more games if someone made sticker sets for them. 

As a fan of retrocomputing, the Atari 2600 (and its world of original cartridges) is one of my favourite collectibles. As a fan of Lego too, I always tried to mix bricks and retrocomputing together (e.g. creating a working mini 2600 - a Lego case for Raspberry Zero).

So, seeing a pretty big 2600 in Lego (even if it's a display model) makes me automatically to ask it for Christmas.

What I like:

• the areation grille is made by tiles, which give the correct "feeling", even if Lego tiles are a lot thicker than needed. But the use of small "grille" tiles should have been less original and elegant (they always need a plate below, and studs are always visible - confusing a bit the overall look).
  • The 4 Levers version (even if the "sixer" or the six levers version 2600 is more iconic) is a good choice to have the possibility to fit the yellow border, stickers and keep the correct shape.
  • The cartridges and shelves - nice touch - the choice of several games (with old and new labels) is great. Adventure (I bought it one week ago!!!) is a fantastic title.
  • The classic Atari Joystick is very very similar to the real one - especially for the plug and the "cable".
  • The 3D room of the 80s is a nice pop-up and helps the "feeling" of being sit directly on the carpet, ruining your knees, backbone and neck to get the high score

What I like less:

• The "fake" wood pattern - it seems too regular - there are many brown colors available to make it a bit more "random".
  • Its price, but there are a lot of parts to make the opening top,the joystick , the mini 3d room, the shelves and cartridges.

Extras that could be nice:

• An empty cartridge set, with additional game stickers or a template to recreate them, as said in the post above.
  • A second Joystick as a separate set
  • A bigger shelf.

Overall: 

It's  a nerdly pleasure to see it around. It's a legend. It's the creation of the most controversial company of that period, the only one that had the opportunity to be killed by an alien...not the poor E.T. , but Atari's late management. :laugh:

Ciao!

Davide

I also had one as a kid. And still have it as an adult. The main unit is a nice enough copy of the shape but I'm not sure I'd want to display it. I don't display the real thing either.

I'm not a fan of the 3D models from the games. The games were 2D, so a screen / panel with some 8-bit style graphics on it would have been preferable even if they didn't want to do a full TV with it.

On 7/21/2022 at 2:32 PM, MAB said:

I'm not a fan of the 3D models from the games. The games were 2D, so a screen / panel with some 8-bit style graphics on it would have been preferable even if they didn't want to do a full TV with it.

FULLY agreed on. That also is (not! was) the whole fun of it!

On 7/20/2022 at 8:53 AM, JaBaCaDaBra said:

Now we have had all these overrated B series home computers...

Up for the most sold computer ever... the Commodore 64 with Cassette recorder or 1541 diskdrive.

Booo :pir-laugh:

Was too expensive for me - chemistry student, duh. Also the Atari's were in outer money space.

Spoiler

Here's the REAL thing - in LEGO front right :pir-wink:, on the left doing it's job here in my attic: 1k x 8 bits on board - and freaking 16kBytes on the memory pack.

zx81_workplace_small.jpg

Best,
Thorsten

This set looks amazing, minus the sub builds and interior inflating the price more than necessary. They gotta do a SEGA Genesis / Megadrive next

What I remember most about that console, the totally non-ergonomic controllers. Those sharp corners would really do a number on your palms and after extended play your hands would hurt so bad you couldn't play for a day or two. I am surprised there are no lawsuits to be honest, lol. The crippler, is what I called that console.

I love it. I ordered it first thing this morning to go next to the Nintendo. Coleco was the first system I got. I had the Atari adaptor for it. Then I got a NES with gyro mite. Would have been awesome if the Nintendo came with him vs the tv.  Lol

next purchase is the castle later this week.