Sign in to follow this  
Robert8

LEGO HOCUS POCUS (IDEAS)

In their second try, HOCUS POCUS - THE SANDERSON SISTERS' COTTAGE passed the review phase and will become an official LEGO IDEAS set

legacy

Is this the first time a re-submitted project is selected in the review?

Also, I wonder why was approved this time around? Because of the sequel coming soon? This set will be released several months after Hocus Pocus 2, so even that reason sounds odd

Disney are more likely to issue licences for it now that there is a sequel and there will be current interest in the set.

It moved away from being a random film from 30 years ago, to something more recent.

Plus there'll be SJP and Bette Midler minifigures!

I don't understand why people like this movie... Baffles me; do people like it because nostalgia or it just not for me??

Edited by Time77

39 minutes ago, Time77 said:

I don't understand why people like this movie... Baffles me; do people like it because nostalgia or it just not for me??

I'm in a similar boat. I let it play once every year trying to figure out what so many people see in it and it just leaves me cold every time. It's a Disney Channel Original Movie that somehow got the budget for some huge stars and that catapulted it into a theatrical release, but the script betrays its made-for-TV roots.

9 hours ago, Karalora said:

I'm in a similar boat. I let it play once every year trying to figure out what so many people see in it and it just leaves me cold every time. It's a Disney Channel Original Movie that somehow got the budget for some huge stars and that catapulted it into a theatrical release, but the script betrays its made-for-TV roots.

The Disney channel were going to televise a movie about virginity that discusses tits?

9 minutes ago, Killian said:

The Disney channel were going to televise a movie about virginity that discusses tits?

There is a lot to unpack here.

I'm not saying they completed the movie as-is with the expectation that it would be televised and then went "Wait, no, we have to recoup the cost of Bette Midler, someone phone up AMC." I'm saying there's a very "Disney Channel" vibe to the overall tone of the film. The way it keeps telling us the witches are scary and threatening while showing us three goofy idiots, the strangely toothless behavior of the two school bullies, the embarrassingly cheap makeup on Billy the zombie...this sort of thing is much more typical of Disney's made-for-TV portfolio than their theatrical one. It seems very likely to me that the initial intent was for a TV showing, but at some point during production they decided to put it in theaters (in part, yes, to recoup the cost of Bette Midler), and maybe they then decided they could get a little saucier in the dialogue.

And tits or no tits, it still got rated PG, so draw whatever conclusions you want from that.

14 hours ago, Time77 said:

I think this movie is one of those 'so bad, it's good' films. A 90s fever dream that cost millions.

It's definitely not for everyone. I personally love how cheesy, stupid and ridiculous it is.

7 hours ago, astroboy75 said:

Any chance we got the set with the new movie? 

We cant say it's impossible, but its very very unlikely the set will be ready by then

Dear Robert, 

I would like to contact you via private message about a project, I can not write to you please send me a message. 

Kind regards, 

Blaise 

On 7/27/2022 at 6:07 AM, brickblaise said:

I would like to contact you via private message about a project, I can not write to you please send me a message. 

Okay