Earlier in 2022 my son and I built the brilliant Mclaren P1 that 'Brunoj' designed several years back.  As well as being a lot of fun to do, It was interesting building this MOC from another designer as the building styles was very different to my own, and thus there was a lot to learn.  Anyway, the build kind of inspired me to try to design something similar but smaller, in 1:10 scale, which I have to say, I still very much prefer (don't ask why as I don't really know the answer)

640x448.jpg

Lego have also put out a lot of new technic parts in recent years, so I thought I would try to utilise them.  I have to say that the alternating beams and some of the new panels and connectors are really useful as are the little red half pins with friction.

Central to this MOC is a new 8 speed gear box with neutral and reverse.  The HOG gear shifters on the dashboard are used for the gear shifting, and these also move the paddle shifters at the steering wheel for a bit of effect.  There is an even step ratio between each gear, with neutral and reverse selection achieved using something similar to 'Anto's' recent design.  The gearbox has to be compact to fit inside this MOC and as with all my recent gearboxes is designed so the engine can sit as low as possible above it.  Overall it is super smooth and functions nicely.

640x336.jpg

Under the bonnet is the mechanism to raise and lower the spoiler.  As the spoiler is raised, the suspension is also lowered - into "track" mode. 

The doors open manually and can be easily locked into place using a neat little lever that presents itself at the door open.  I had designed a remote opening mechanism, but much preferred the manual version in the end.

640x448.jpg640x448.jpg

Hand of God steering also included and a few cosmetic details.

Overall, I am really pleased with the internals of this car, the gearbox works really well, and the chassis is sturdy and stiff.   The bodywork flows pretty well and is sturdy with only a few small parts held by friction alone.  The front wheel arches were definitely the hardest part to design! 

While this MOC was definitely inspired by its larger predecessor and utilises a few techniques and design elements that I learned while building it, overall it has turned out to be a completely different construction which much more follows my own style, utilises a lot of new parts that Lego has release in the intervening years, and also reflects the different scale at which it is built.    

A few pictures below, and I will compile a short clip to show the functions later.

640x448.jpg640x448.jpg

640x448.jpg640x448.jpg

640x448.jpg640x448.jpg

640x448.jpg640x448.jpg

640x448.jpg

Very faithful replica of the real car! I especially like the rear angle, it looks so mean. We are in the same boat, we both like building in 1:10 more than 1:8. I would say it is much more fun of a scale to build in. Congratulations on the model, a great engineered gearbox and a superb display piece!

This is incredible! I am not a supercar guy, but the MOC fascinates me anyway. The 8NR gearbox in this scale is a feat of engineering, for sure. But the most astonishing aspect is the body work. Your skills with angled connectors is out of this world. The area from the headlights to the front fenders is gorgeous. I would say the rear fenders a bit thick and lack some curvature in the lateral direction, but knowing what is underneath and given the 1:10 scale it is still very nicely done. Congrats and thanks for sharing!

Wonderful model! 

As usual, great job on the gearbox and and the other functionality. I like the bodywork a lot! Despite the scale, the proportions don't look compromised at all and I love some of the details like the flat silver soft axle surrounding the headlights capturing the characteristic McLaren eyes. 

IMO the front is a little too extreme on the connector usage, but that's obviously part of your building style. I am curious about the stacked liftarms in the doors; didn't panels fit? And have you considered filling up the rear end with grille or fence pieces etc. ? 

Thanks for sharing and looking forward to the video!

Gawd 😭😭 I love this so much. The proportions are so spot on, and the bodywork is ultra clean.

The only thing that I love slightly less is the connector usage at the front, but you definitely make it work.

As others have said, this is a great MOC. I also love the 1:10 scale a little better, as features on a 1:8 tend to be a little gummy for my liking.

The bodywork is fantastic. Great job!

Fantastic job, my friend :thumbup:! I´m proud of having served you as motivator with my infamous model. Your take looks astonishing and I always apreciate to see new cars in the 1/10 scale if executed accurately and detailed enough. As talked in private, I wished to build in a gearbox into my car too back then, but there was not much space and I didn´t want to have anything half baked, rather compensate with other functions. No need to say I´m amazed of your gearbox, the curvature of the car is nicely done and especially the rear view looks very recognizeable and agressive!

A bit of critisism anyway - the stacked 5L beams in the door disturb the flow a tiny bit. The headlights remind me more of a 570S, though I admit mine were a bit too small / not expressive. I see no rear lights, but they pop into the imagination within the red contours. Orange flex axles wouldn´t work, being too thick, I suppose? Btw. you are using red color very often, maybe you should go for a sample more of Italian style next time :wink: .

Thanks for sharing!

I would gladly buy a masterpiece like this over anything LEGO releases, and I prefer 1:10 scale as well. The shaping is spot on, and it really does come across as a scale model.

As someone with many spare red parts, if you ever did release instructions it would be an instant purchase from me. This is just superb! :wub: 

Terrific job - global shape and technical highlights make for a great model. Headlights and "face" are fantastic ! Thanks for sharing.

I love this build.  I have built @brunojj1's version and have it sitting in my Lego room and it just so happens the P1 is one of my favorite all-time cars.  This is beautiful, concise, and appropriately dense.  I would love to build it one day and have it sitting next to @brunojj1's 1/8 scale version....

I echo what everyone else has said, it's definitely a really spectacular car.  I'd love to have this one on my shelf.

Superb design! Looks VERY recognizable and fantastic!

i wonder if you could post comparison photo with brunoj's original model?

Hey @brunojj1! I mean watch both models when they are next to each other, at one photo :)  How bigger/smaller is the same model in different scales...

Cheers All

Responding to a few of the comments, 

Regarding the front fenders, my first choice was to try to use panels, but I couldn't find a solution that filled the gap behind the headlights, and it just looked half done.  I think that the new panels from 42143 might have helped, but in the meantime, the connectors gave me the shape I was after with the space I had to play with.  I guess the use of system bricks and locking hinges might also be a solution one could try.

The stacked panels in the door - also after trying a number of panel solutions, these provided the shape, and more importantly, nicely rounded edge at the bottom that looked best.  Using these straight beams also helped achieve a near perfect transition between the back of the door and the bodywork which I was aiming for, the compromise is the vertical lines, which are less noticeable on the actual model that in the photos.

As for the rear light strip.  I haven't found a way to incorporate, but I may still try.  A trans red rigid hose from Lego would be nice in this case!!! 

This MOC only currently works in black or red, due to the requirement for this panel LEGO Red Right Panel 5 x 7 with Cut Out (80268)

I am sure Lego will put out other colours soon, but I am taking a bet that these colours will probably be either magenta, bright yellow, or purple, or perhaps some other useless colour.  (just to make clear, I am not opposed to the colours themselves, just the fact that they are released on massively limited range of technic parts, and therefore nearly impossible to use on any MOC)

In terms of scale difference, thanks to Bruno for adding the pictures, I don't have any comparison pics either, but can say that 1:10 is significantly smaller that 1:8 especially when it come to space underneath and clearances etc

Very well done. I have tried a prototype of a 8 speed sequential without the modern pieces Lego has released, but it barely fits a 1/10 scaled car.

If instructions for this car are released I would be interested. Or maybe some in deph pics with a parts list. Congrats on the build! 5/5

Edit: I also prefer 1/10 scale as it reduces the partscount significantly when compared to 1/8 scale.

Edited by TechnicMan_97

On 7/15/2022 at 10:44 AM, Pvdb said:

As for the rear light strip.  I haven't found a way to incorporate, but I may still try.  A trans red rigid hose from Lego would be nice in this case!!! 

I've always thought that Trans-red taillights are disappointingly hard to see on a Red model. Perhaps try a Flat Silver rigid hose for some contrast?