Legostein

[MOC] The Explorer Fleet: A new faction for a classic pirate world (very long topic with many images)

blogged.png

Hello everybody,

and welcome to my own corner of the pirate world! Today I want to introduce you to an exciting project I am into for some time now. It's an alternate pirate play theme with new factions, new boats, and new places. I made up some rules for myself that apply to the project:

I try not to use any official pirate theme insignia, any official pirate theme sails (official pirate boat pieces allowed), any official pirate theme torsos, any official pirate theme heads (official headgear allowed).

With that I started into a new adventure of playset design! It was quite a challenge but a pleasure even more. So, I would like to present to you: The Explorer Fleet

1. The Personnel of the Explorer Fleet

For the crew of the Explorer Fleet, I used toros of the "Racers" series from the early 2010 years. The back printing of the torsos (which would not look adequate for a pirate figure) is covered with standard capes. I was really happy to finally being able to create a yellow uniform that looks nice (as you know yellow dress for yellow head and hands color is quite difficult). The heads are from the "Fright Knights" series from the late 1990 years. As insignia the flag of the "Lone Ranger" series from 2013 was used.

explorer-fleet-1.jpg

We have a total of 39 figures so far: 27 guards, 9 officers, and 3 commanders. Their fleet can be seen in the background:

explorer-fleet-3.jpg

explorer-fleet-4.jpg

2. The Port of the Explorer Fleet

All locations use a modular system of old 10x20 baseplates/bricks. You can stick them together to get a rellay long quay wall, or you can assemble them in corners to make a harbor basin. The modular system is extremely useful when participating in an exhibition to create a really lengthy display with buildings in the back and ships in the front. The home port is called "Port Yellowsandstone". You will find a storage buidling with crane, and a defense tower whichi has a map/conference room on the first floor with great panorama view. There is also a small prison, the commander's castle, and of course a tavern.

port-yellowsandstone-1.jpg

port-yellowsandstone-2.jpg

3. Ships and Boats

You can already see it on the images of the port: A small catboat. Yellow sails are hard to find. For this little boat I used foam pieces that came with the "Scala" sets in the early 2000s. 

catboat-1.jpg

The next ship of the fleet is a small vela latina. It uses the large brown rowboat from the "Adventurers" series which I already used for several other boats, too. As lateen sail I used the carousel top cover from the Creator carousel 10257 of the year 2017.

vela-latina-1.jpg

vela-latina-2.jpg

vela-latina-4.jpg

vela-latina-5.jpg

The next ship a Xebec which use the same carousel top covers as sails. This was really a pleasure to build. I especially like how the angled mast turned out. It uses the standard boat hull pieces (narrow form) with one expansion piece in the middle. 

xebec-1.jpg

xebec-2.jpg

xebec-3.jpg

xebec-4.jpg

xebec-5.jpg

xebec-6.jpg

The next ship of the Explorer Fleet is a brig, also with two masts, standard boat hull and one expansion piece in the middle. For the sails "Scala" theme foam pieces were used again.

brig-1.jpg

brig-2.jpg

brig-3.jpg

brig-4.jpg

brig-5.jpg

brig-6.jpg

explorer-fleet-2.jpg

That's all for now! I hope you enjoyed our journey so far. Please keep in mind these are designed as playsets, thank you.  :pir-sweet:

4 hours ago, Legostein said:

That's all for now!

Very cool! :pir-thumb:

I hope you enjoyed our journey so far.

Indeed. Looking forward to more!

Please keep in mind these are designed as playsets, thank you.  :pir-sweet:

That's what I like about them. Sometimes we get so focused on building "realistic" MOCs that we forget to build stuff that is fun! Well done. :pir-triumph:

This is a well thought out theme! Good job! :pir-thumb: 

I am certainly looking forward to more in the future! :pir-huzzah2:

Wow, that‘s really really cool. I love the minifigs, they have a nice classic vibe to them. The ships have a great size for playability around the port. Overall you’re really nailing the theme you created. Personally I’d switch the green grass parts for tan sand to give it more of a beachy vibe, but that’s just me. When I was a kid I would’ve definitely preferred this faction over the armada. 

Are you planning to extend the theme?

On 7/10/2022 at 6:10 AM, Legostein said:

and welcome to my own corner of the pirate world! Today I want to introduce you to an exciting project I am into for some time now. It's an alternate pirate play theme with new factions, new boats, and new places. I made up some rules for myself that apply to the project: 

Well thank you for introducing us to your bright new faction!

On 7/10/2022 at 6:10 AM, Legostein said:

explorer-fleet-1.jpg

We have a total of 39 figures so far: 27 guards, 9 officers, and 3 commanders. Their fleet can be seen in the background:

Good to see you've designed your own flag - this always helps to establish the identity of a faction!

But have you given names to any of the principal characters? Particularly, the leader?

Nice work on the faction and the fleet. I like your use of the older minifigs with the racing suits. They actually work well for a colorful faction.

Thank you everybody for the comments! :pir-classic: Before we expand the yellow-colored Explorer Fleet theme, I would like to introduce to the other factions first. :pir-sweet:

On 7/11/2022 at 6:58 PM, Mister Phes said:

But have you given names to any of the principal characters? Particularly, the leader?

I have not given any names (yet), as I still need to get used to the tendency to name every minifigure in the newer official playsets (for example in the city line). But you are right, the major commanders and pirates already had names in the classic times as well. So please be patient with me, our alternate pirate world has just begun growing. :pir-sweet:

See you around all! :pir-huzzah2:

On 7/14/2022 at 7:34 AM, Legostein said:

So please be patient with me, our alternate pirate world has just begun growing. :pir-sweet:

Excellent!  Thank you for taking imitative in the expansion! Your efforts make the LEGO Pirates theme stronger than ever before! :pir-triumph:

Wow!! This was quite and undertaking and very well done. The use of the Scala foam pieces and the carousel pieces for sails is fantastic. I really love the color scheme overall. Just fantastic all around.

Thank you everyone! I am glad you like it. I hope you are prepared for the next factions... :pir-sweet:

Oh wow, I really like your idea's and way you made it into life! The looks and part-usages are great already!

Just missing a bad-guy or an opposing faction, islanders/pirates/buccaneers ? Would love to see you experiment on that!

This is an interesting and well done project. I like the fleet with the different ships best.

Excellent work! Interesting figs and the yellow is a great faction color. The foam works really well for the sail material.

I think you should make the brig larger either add one more expansion piece or just add 4 studs (2 on each side) it just looks to close to the other one, that i didnt really realize it was 2 different ships until i read the post again. I know the sails are different, but i just thought it was the same ship just a different sail configuration.

I love this so take my note with a grain of salt, Your stuff looks so much fun.

Edited by natesroom