Fluwoeb

[MOC] [WIP] 42122 Technic Jeep Rubicon Remake/Upgrade

Hello everyone,

This is Evan here with my first Eurobricks topic!

I decided as soon as I obtained the 42122 Technic Jeep Rubicon set to massively upgrade it (similar to what y'all did here, here, and here). The only difference is that I am starting from scratch and rebuilding the whole vehicle based on the original set to not only be more functionally proficient (which is the focus of this venture), but also to look a little bit more aesthetically appealing;)

As per my preference, I will start with the functionality. Since everyone else put the differentials in the axles, I decided at first to take a different route and take them out of the axles and instead put them in the cabin. See the following pictures of the front axle:

IMG_2242.JPG

IMG_2243.JPGIMG_2244.JPGIMG_2245.JPGIMG_2246.JPG

Maybe this idea will work for you in a different project, but I quickly found out that it would not work for my MOC after making a few test chassis assemblies.

IMG_2248.JPG

IMG_2250.JPG

By displacing the differentials from the axles to the center of the vehicle greatly increases the area that the drivetrain takes up in the cabin of the Jeep, so I decided to go with the differentials in the axles.

As you can already see, I went with the CV joints for the steering drive connections just like Zerobricks did. However, I decided to go with the mustang wheels to center the steering pivot more. Also, I added Ackerman geometry to the steering system out of necessity. See the following pictures: 

IMG_2261.JPG

IMG_2262.JPG

IMG_2266.JPG

IMG_2265.JPG

IMG_2264.JPG

IMG_2267.JPG

I used this piece to connect the steering gear to the axle frame with the gear that drives the differential. It works quite well. Also, the steering rack is held in place by the actual "U" technic frame.

Please let me know what you think of it so far, I will continue to update it until I finish it!

Edited by Fluwoeb
Fix text.

Very interesting idea, especially with those double shaft drive train. Pivot point and rims from mustang are also great pick, I am working on something similar, you can check first attempts here. But my goal is to have 3 studs ground clearance.

I also am loving what you have posted thus far.  Agree with the other comments regarding the drivetrain.  Unique build so far.  Keep us informed with your progress.... 

Also, to perk your interest, here are some pictures of an earlier draft of the axle:

IMG_2224.JPG

IMG_2227.JPG

IMG_2228.JPG

Here is your long awaited update. I have been busy with college, work, and life in general. I have made much progress and will post more pictures when I have the opportunity. My axle construction basically stayed true to the original concept, but I think I was able to progress the design and actually make it functional in connection to a chassis. These pictures are of my second axle prototype. The axle ended up not having the connection configuration I was looking for, and it was a little too weak when torque was applied.

IMG_2399.JPG

IMG_2400.JPG

IMG_2409.JPG

My goal is to keep the same dimensions, shape, and aesthetics of the original set (though I will probably do some work to the front grille and rear end to make it look a little more realistic). Here are some pictures I was able to take today:

IMG_2507.JPG

IMG_2509.JPG

Sorry if a little blurry.

Also, here is a sneak peek at the current chassis progress:

IMG_2503.JPG

Please let me know what y'all think!

Edited by Fluwoeb
comment

The dual drive line looks very interesting and worth studying! I would however consider your setup inefficient,  having quite so many gears. 

I can understand that you believe the 8 tooth gears to be necessary  there, but I would consider an X set-up fot the joints. So front left connected to back right kind on thing. And connect them with a slight vertical offset somehow. 

@keymaker, I actually saw your KrAZ 255 Eurobricks post already;) I think you did a great job with such a complex drivetrain, incorporating so many details in the cabin and the exterior, and overall functionality. Yes, I am probably going to have to reconstruct my axles to strengthen them. I am not planning on applying high torque to the axles, but my design intentions for the drivetrain will probably require stronger axles. 

@Alex Ilea, I have always been interested in making something like this since I learned about the Jeep Hurricane, GMC Hummer, Rivian R1T, and several other vehicles. I have always been fascinated by four-wheel, crab, and the Jeep Hurricane's unique steering systems. I am not planning on incorporating differentials into this build, but I might end up doing so.

The main reason my axles are this way and not bulkier or taller is because I am trying to constrain the dimensions of at least the front end of the vehicle the same to the original 42122 set. I already have some ideas on how to reconstruct the front grille...

Edited by Fluwoeb
tags

I am considering making a topic with pictures of all or most of my builds to present. I have made quite a few motorized vehicles, most of which were fails or not finished, but some turned out great. I made a half-track vehicle (which ended up eating my servo cable :cry_sad:), an arctic tracked vehicle, a trial truck, a very unsatisfying (speed-wise) motorized version of the 42138 Mustang set, and several other things...

I will post an update to this soon. I have since made several iterations of my original axle design, most of which were not very satisfying. :pir-sceptic: I will see what I get to this week. :pir-classic: