SNIPE

42145 Airbus Rescue Helicopter MODs and Improvements

Yes, I like very much how you have changed the upper parts, especially the front angle above the cabin, looks much better.

On 8/6/2022 at 1:18 PM, JunkstyleGio said:

As I am not a fan of the one-part rotorblades, I redid them in to an "axle-conector"version.

I just realized, we could use these parts to make tapered looking blades of any length/various colors: 89679 , 71682 , 11946

I would use black in this case, and to connect everything: black 2L and 3L axles, black pinhole with 2 opposing axles, black #1 connector. Or if you are just using the 89679 1x2 panels then five 32L axles , a pinhole with single axle and a #2 connector

It will be expensive though either way!.

edit: like this:
blades.png

Edited by SNIPE

52274573044_6120772245_c.jpg

1 hour ago, Equilibrium said:

how's the view from the front?

Edit: raised the tail and now it looks a little bit like airwolf

52273539607_239819e085_c.jpg

Edited by efferman

I went to double up on the turntable that's supporting the main shaft to remove a lot of the slop but I realized that you can't pass a liftarm through the turntable.  Super lame.  LEGO needs to update their design.  There's no reason to not support this functionality.  

On 8/8/2022 at 6:13 PM, SNIPE said:

I just realized, we could use these parts to make tapered looking blades of any length/various colors: 89679 , 71682 , 11946

I would use black in this case, and to connect everything: black 2L and 3L axles, black pinhole with 2 opposing axles, black #1 connector. Or if you are just using the 89679 1x2 panels then five 32L axles , a pinhole with single axle and a #2 connector

It will be expensive though either way!.

edit: like this:
blades.png

I do not believe this would remain together with the gear setting on high....

21 minutes ago, nerdsforprez said:

Agree, I like the look but it does seem like it's asking to fly apart.  Could work for a static model or something that only spins very slowly.  Drooping might also be a concern as it's going to be a lot heavier than the original blades.

On 8/9/2022 at 5:03 PM, efferman said:

Edit: raised the tail and now it looks a little bit like airwolf

Only those short side "wings" (?) left to add and we got a cool mod :) I do like the shape now, although Airwolf painting is too black for my taste.

18 hours ago, nerdsforprez said:

It would also be quite heavy. They would just hang way too low.

Nicely done!

I'm having a hard time tracking all your mods.  Do you mind listing them out?  It appears that you made some improvements to the cyclic linkages?

3 hours ago, blbills said:

Do you mind listing them out?

Sure

1.) Changed nearly the complete linkeage for cyclic and collective Pitch. Now it can stand in the same speed forward and backward :laugh: This was a side effect of lowering the mechanism.

2.) The rotor is lowered by two studs.

3.) Modified linkage between the landing gear. The original one had a big collision with the new pitch control.

4.) Smaller and more flat front cover.

5.) Modified winch to make it less bulky.

6.) Longer sidepods.

2 hours ago, efferman said:

Sure

1.) Changed nearly the complete linkeage for cyclic and collective Pitch. Now it can stand in the same speed forward and backward :laugh: This was a side effect of lowering the mechanism.

2.) The rotor is lowered by two studs.

3.) Modified linkage between the landing gear. The original one had a big collision with the new pitch control.

4.) Smaller and more flat front cover.

5.) Modified winch to make it less bulky.

6.) Longer sidepods.

Great modifications @efferman! And now that they are PDF it is easier to track what was actually changed.  One question... the rotor has been lowered by two studs, but is there room to power even more?  If one were to buy the shorter pushrods that you posted earlier, could the rotor be lowered even further?  Or would it clash into something? 

1 hour ago, nerdsforprez said:

could the rotor be lowered even further?

with the 3l Pushrods one stud lower should be possible, but then the rotor would probably collide with the cover.

btw

52288575267_3d725b7ab3_c.jpg

good job @efferman  i will build your mod this evening. It looks like it will be better tan the original one.

I think we will need your part builder talent too.

After looking closely to the new swashplate part, i think TLC completely flaws it. I explain: They litteraly build a turntable. You could as well use the existing turntable  and you'll got the same.

The point is: on a hellicopter, the all joinball (i mean those under and up the rotary plane) NEEDS to be in the same geometric plane. This geometric plane pass by the center of the pivot ball. This is the only way to get a perfect smooth movement of the whole assembly.

In the actual case, the whole swashplate makes 3 studs high and it NEEDS to fit in one stud height only.

Like this: (see giff on the internet page below)

helicopter swashplate

Another thing: i will replace the connector you place on the lower rear of the swashplate. The one used to stabilisez the swashplate position, and this, in order to eliminate any friction. The 3L double pin with center axle hole has way to much friction. I propose to replace it by the same but with cross pins on both side.

S.

Edited by steph77

11 minutes ago, steph77 said:

In the actual case, the whole swashplate makes 3 studs high and it NEEDS to fit in only one stud height only.

My own swashplate is only two studs  in height. Still not perfect, it is a good compromise but i will try to make it in one plane.

i guess you talk about this animation.

1 hour ago, efferman said:

My own swashplate is only two studs  in height. Still not perfect, it is a good compromise but i will try to make it in one plane.

Given that your version is a stud less than TLG version would it be possible to create a swashplate similar to TLG, with room for five blades (not six, like the other one you have up on shapeways) that would fit 420145?  Would be interesting to compare the two in terms of movement and smoothness...

1 hour ago, nerdsforprez said:

would it be possible to create a swashplate similar to TLG, with room for five blades

Sure, it needs only a few klicks

https://www.shapeways.com/product/4UX438LAX/swashplate-v3-for-5-blades

here is the single plane swashplate, but maybe the possible angle is limited.

52290201633_eed6637314_c.jpg

Edited by efferman

Ok. This is a perfect design. The angle is not a problem as 70% of the movement is done by the collective and only 30 by the cyclic pitch .

How can i get one ? Shapeways ? Other?

Edit. Just see the shapeways link. Thanks

Edited by steph77

3 minutes ago, steph77 said:

Edit. Just see the shapeways link. Thanks

this is the previous design, not the single plane. The single plane i have to upload first.