SNIPE

42145 Airbus Rescue Helicopter MODs and Improvements

On 7/23/2022 at 2:25 AM, SNIPE said:

I also wanted to reduce the height, so I'm gonna try replacing the 6L links with the "3L link with pinhole and ball joint" (6571) which is actually a steering hub.

On closer inspection this may be very difficult as the current 6L link connections are 180 degrees from each other which the 6571 doesn't allow.  Trying to think through how I would modify the rotor head to accomodate this but coming up short.  I'll have to wait until I get it in hand next week to see what I can do.

Do you have any 6571's in your possession?  I'd have to BL them and not sure I want to until I have strong confidence that they will work as it'll likely be a $30 expense.

1 hour ago, blbills said:

On closer inspection this may be very difficult as the current 6L link connections are 180 degrees from each other which the 6571 doesn't allow.  Trying to think through how I would modify the rotor head to accomodate this but coming up short.  I'll have to wait until I get it in hand next week to see what I can do.

Do you have any 6571's in your possession?  I'd have to BL them and not sure I want to until I have strong confidence that they will work as it'll likely be a $30 expense.

I don't have them but they are coming in a bricks and pieces order. Yes unlike the 6L links the ball joint is only single sided but I should be able to work around that. I'll post my progress after I build the original set then mod it.

As I am not a fan of the one-part rotorblades, I redid them in to an "axle-conector"version.

As I did that for the 9396 already I kind of had an example, but they had to be slightly different.

Of course I had to work with parts available in my spare-parts.

52267362365_3414364bde_z.jpg

Here is my version now.

52267235605_8b3d7a2e7b_z.jpg

As I did not like the neon-yellow parts, I did replace those with white parts.

Not sure I like how the turboshaft engine bypass the fans in said engine and just use rim parts.  Thoughts if the rims are replaced with a series of gears; the teeth look to me like fan blades.....

20220806_090725

Received my H175 at friday and made today my first mod by lowering the rotor by two studs.

52267691522_ce02ef336b_c.jpg

At this time iam using my 3L Pushrods, but when iam done it will be probably pure lego.

52268921979_53edc31e9d_c.jpg

3 hours ago, efferman said:

Received my H175 at friday and made today my first mod by lowering the rotor by two studs.

This indeed is awesome Efferman.  Is there any way these will become available for purchase?  

1 minute ago, nerdsforprez said:

Is there any way these will become available for purchase? 

i will make a set, but please take a look in my updated post

24 minutes ago, efferman said:

i will make a set, but please take a look in my updated post

Excellent.  I think this was one of the most anticipated modifications...... and you just did it...

Personally I prefer the rear. I think that white upper area needs 1-2 fewer units in height, and visual simplification. Meaning minimal stacked liftarms and connectors, and paneling that is as simple as possible. That whole zone has far too much “texture” in the stock model for my taste, and (to me) comes across as the opposite of sleek. Improvements are easier said than done, of course.

Edited by Pattspatt

To make it lower is the big plan, but first i have the control mechanics more compact in the front.

50 minutes ago, efferman said:

Which looks better. The one in the front or in the rear?

52269521459_f7953bbb8b_c.jpg

I also agree the rear.  Panels>stacked liftarms.  Overall, the set is starting to look pretty sharp now....

Interesting how you change the upper connection point on the links, I suppose there isn't enough force to push those pins out, under normal operating conditions. Do the controls seem to work just as well with these changes?

8 minutes ago, Johnny1360 said:

Do the controls seem to work just as well with these changes?

They act like before the changes. To much slack, i hope my deeper changes will solve this.

Would really like to see that, I am currently reworking the tail section, so it doesn't sag so much, which isn't so easy as it is only 3m wide. Also even though I haven't yet completed the set, I am tinkering with some other stuff as well.

I'm trying to add a spring that is just placed over an axle that I took from the soft 6.5L shock absorbers (because you know my deal  I'm purist)

But im getting stuck a lot because it can't be too wide otherwise it will look weird, or it will not allow the technic bricks assembly to attach.

Or because it is not locking in place,

Or because it is too flimsy due to the axle having too much wobble

Or because the axle is spinning which it should not, the rear wheels do not steer.

And I also tried adding steering to the front wheels and not even the spring yet and that again, was not locking in place properly, or the wheels and tires were hitting off the assembly.

Ugh This is not an easy thing.

Definitely worth it.   I am building mine right now, slowly, but  wondering if I should just wait until all these improvements are done.   

Suppose I should build it all now, even though I will have to rebuild, just to compare all the old things to the new changes.  Fun stuff so far....