firefabric

[MOC] Back to the Future - Marty McFly's Toyota Hilux 4x4

The next build in the line of my Back to the Future-themed vehicles is Marty McFly's Toyota Hilux 4x4 Pickup Truck. It was the second most impressive car I remember from the movie (DeLorean aside), and it looked really cool with the black raised body, big wheels and lamps etc. There has been quite a few MOCs created of this subject, but I definitely wanted to try and make it myself as well. So here's one more...

The build uses only generic parts, and the chassis and the body is built mostly with plates and tiles (body using snot techniques). The cabin fits both Marty and Jennifer inside, so they can finally go take that drive up to the lake, for the important camping trip.

Detailed information on parts and build, as well as instructions can be found on rebrickable as usual:
https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-116403/firefabric/marty-mcfly-toyota-hilux-4x4/

800x640.png

800x640.png

800x640.png

800x640.jpg

And here's my collection of the essential vehicles from the 1985 timeline as it stands (DeLorean Time Machine, Marty's Toyota Hilux, Doc's Van and Libyans VW Bus):

800x475.jpg

That, along with the others, is excellent. You really nailed the truck beautifully. 

18 hours ago, Vindicare said:

That, along with the others, is excellent. You really nailed the truck beautifully. 

Thank you! They really put some cool cars into the movie and all of them made a lasting impression on me at least, so it's quite a lot of fun trying to create them in Lego. They are always a challenge (I would say cars in general are not the best idea to build with Lego, Minecraft would probably be the way to go), so each one I start, I soon end up ruling out as impossible to make... But somehow with the inspiration, you find more things to try out, and more ways to use the parts, and in most cases I have finally ended up with something I'm actually quite happy with, and I think for me that's the beauty of Lego. And every time I do a build, I'm still amazed what the random looking pile of seemingly useless parts will assemble themselves into...

11 hours ago, Borex said:

It becomes a great collection! Good job!

Thank you! I'm hoping the collection will grow, but since that's pretty much the cars from 1985, I'm thinking it will be something from 1955 next...

On 7/7/2022 at 12:10 PM, firefabric said:

Thank you! They really put some cool cars into the movie and all of them made a lasting impression on me at least, so it's quite a lot of fun trying to create them in Lego. They are always a challenge (I would say cars in general are not the best idea to build with Lego, Minecraft would probably be the way to go), so each one I start, I soon end up ruling out as impossible to make... But somehow with the inspiration, you find more things to try out, and more ways to use the parts, and in most cases I have finally ended up with something I'm actually quite happy with, and I think for me that's the beauty of Lego. And every time I do a build, I'm still amazed what the random looking pile of seemingly useless parts will assemble themselves into...

Yeah, in years past cars weren’t all that impressive because the catalog of parts just wasn’t there. Ever since Speed Champions has come around there’s been a whole host of curves & slopes & tiles that make for nice cat building. And also with SC comes more opportunity for inspiration for what can be achieved with LEGO.

On 7/11/2022 at 6:36 AM, Vindicare said:

Yeah, in years past cars weren’t all that impressive because the catalog of parts just wasn’t there. Ever since Speed Champions has come around there’s been a whole host of curves & slopes & tiles that make for nice cat building. And also with SC comes more opportunity for inspiration for what can be achieved with LEGO.

True, and even if there were newer parts, the color selection was quite limited. It's still not comprehensive, but they seem to be releasing parts nowadays in a bigger selection of colors than before. It happened a few times during a build recently that while I was thinking of ways to work around a missing color of a specific part, I saw that the wanted color suddenly became available in a new set. And of course sometimes if you are lucky, the missing part workaround might lead into an even better solution... 

For me the biggest inspiration was the introduction of 8-wide SC cars, they have just a bit more possibilities in detail and part usage than the previous 6-wide format, yet still remaining minifig scale (or close enough at least).