The 1st of July is an important day for the Greek Parliament building. This year marks 87 years since July 1st, 1935, when the 5th National Assembly solemnly began its work in the new Plenary Hall of the Parliament, thus establishing the role of the building that remains the same to this day.

Wanting to honor the history of my country and highlight one of the country's most emblematic neoclassical buildings, I decided to build it with the use of LEGO (in the spirit of the Architecture series) the parliament building, as well as the square with the monument dedicated to the Unknown Soldier.

52185282909_5fa9cbb45a_c.jpg

Hellenic Parliament by George Patelis

Greece_Parliament1.jpg

My model consists of 4,842 pieces and measures 35cm x 51cm x 19cm and marks my first attempt to create something in Architecture style. The flag, which is the only non-LEGO element, is my wife's creation, using the macrame technique.

52184009132_56095de42c_c.jpg

52185028058_0302aa6a17_c.jpg

More photos can be found on my FlickR account!

Below, you can read some of the most important historical elements of the building;

The Parliament Building, was built from 1836 to 1843 in the design of Friedrich von Gaertner, to house the palaces of Othon.

In 1922, the palace ceased to be used and due to the circumstances after the Asia Minor Disaster, they were housed in it government agencies, private social agencies, and various international organizations.

In 1925 a small building was erected in the grounds of the Old Palace, which is known to this day as "Palataki" and in 1928 the Monument to the Unknown Soldier, designed by the architect Emmanuel Lazaridis, was built and thus changed the facade of the building in relation to the surrounding area.

Then, in November 1929, the Government of Eleftherios Venizelos, after many discussions, decided to house the Parliament together with the Senate, in the building of the Old Palaces. The works for the conversion of the building into a House of Parliament and Senate were plans of the architect Andreas Kriezis, and it was the most radical intervention in it, after the initial construction and gave it its present image.

Finally, some of the most important aesthetic interventions on the outside of the building were the placement of the statue of Harilaos Trikoupis and Eleftherios Venizelos, works by the sculptor Yiannis Pappas, in the western enclosure of the building, and in 2003 the placement of the statue of the Mother of Christos Kapralos in the eastern precinct. (Source)

Edited by Patgeo
add photo of the existing building

A really nice rendition! An all around great piece of LEGO architecture.