Sign in to follow this  
Porsche96

Tatra Phoenix 6x6 Tipper

Tatra Phoenix 6x6

900x600.JPG

Specifications
Length/width/height: 59s / 19s / 28s (47/15/22 cm)
Scale: 1:17
Clearance: 4-5 studs

Features
Driving - 2L
Steering - M
Body lifting - L
Independent suspension "Tatra type" on each wheel
Fake in-line 6 engine
Working steering wheel
Openable doors and the cabin

900x600.JPG

The model was made specially for Brick Creek exhibition in 2021.  After a few corrections it can be finally published :)
First, Tatra was supposed to be based on Control+ system (it would be then my first Control+ MOC). For driving there was one C+ XL motor. There was no power, so the solution was obvious - buwizz and 2 PF L motors :D

The drive ratio is 4.32:1 - first multiplication gear20 -> gear 16, and then reduction by the planetary hub at each wheel. Beacuse of the scale and the suspension type there are no diffs, so the steering radius is not perfect.

For steering there is M motor - the worm gear drives gear 8, and next by liftarm and links the wheels move. At the exhibition in 2021 I used gear rack, but it was too weack - the axles was unsliding all the time. This time I had to build something better, but the real test will come with next exhibition. Below is steering scheme, the yellow axle is driven and it moves the liftarm and links.

640x373.jpg

The suspension is the main reason, I wanted to build the Tatra. It's mainly based on the planetary hubs and gears 12. At each wheel there is one hard 6.5L shock absorber. Below is a photo from the bottom.

800x450.JPG

For lifting the body there is L motor and big linear actuator. The maximum payload depends on the distribution of the load :) The closer to the back of the body, the bigger it is, up to above 1 kg.

Tatra also includes working in-line 6 engine. It is a bit too far back, but at least there is no need to open the cabin to see working pistons. There are dummy exhaust and intake.

675x450.JPG 600x450.JPG

In the cabin there are two seats, simple dashboard and working steering wheel. Because of direct steering ratio and openable cabin the steering wheel makes only about half a turn.

450x300.jpg 400x300.jpg

450x300.jpg 400x300.jpg

Thanks for your attention :D

Gallery

Edited by Porsche96

I like suspension and drivetrain, what is more, truck looks great and I probably couldn't create better body, but I need to point out, that in this statement:

" Clearance: 4-5 studs "

you exaggerated, by far.

1280x853.jpg

7 hours ago, keymaker said:

I like suspension and drivetrain, what is more, truck looks great and I probably couldn't create better body, but I need to point out, that in this statement:

you exaggerated, by far.

Maybe he meant clearance to 16 tooth gear? But even that seem to be more 3-4 studs ...

I love tatras but not with 4 wheel axles the outside wheel always does all the work, i do not understand that truck design. Very good work with this truck.

14 hours ago, keymaker said:

you exaggerated, by far.

1280x853.jpg

6 hours ago, 1gor said:

Maybe he meant clearance to 16 tooth gear? But even that seem to be more 3-4 studs ...

Thanks! I meant clearance between axles. You are right directly under axle it’s much less than 4-5 studs, I should have described it better 😅

450x300.jpg 

5 hours ago, jorgeopesi said:

I love tatras but not with 4 wheel axles the outside wheel always does all the work, i do not understand that truck design. Very good work with this truck.

Thanks! The suspension is a bit different than normal, but I think that makes it a bit unique, only Tatra’s got this type 😁

Just now, Porsche96 said:

Thanks! I meant clearance between axles. You are right directly under axle it’s much less than 4-5 studs, I should have described it better 😅

Thanks! The suspension is a bit different than normal, but I think that makes it a bit unique, only Tatra’s got this type 😁

And this uses Tatra axles...

coverbild_bearbeitet_2_0.jpg?itok=oWcsFs

2 hours ago, Porsche96 said:

I know I know that unique suspension is why I like them and I have done some tatras but all of them had only two wheels for axle and they are old now.

2BqSyUx.jpgkqKDWie.jpgWVVE6vt.jpgaefyum6.jpg

2 hours ago, Porsche96 said:

Wow, I didn’t know that. It looks really interesting 😀

Yes, but it is very very complicated because there are no enough small shocks :sad:

@jorgeopesi made once one light bluish gray 4 x 4 Tatra-inspired chassis that is small enough, but he uses rubber beams to act as absorbers...which doesn't work for me because my version is much heavier...

54 minutes ago, 1gor said:

Yes, but it is very very complicated because there are no enough small shocks :sad:

@jorgeopesi made once one light bluish gray 4 x 4 Tatra-inspired chassis that is small enough, but he uses rubber beams to act as absorbers...which doesn't work for me because my version is much heavier...

You are right as usually my friend, in fact the 8x8 and 10x10 used this rubbers and the travel was more than acceptable.

Just now, jorgeopesi said:

You are right as usually my friend, in fact the 8x8 and 10x10 used this rubbers and the travel was more than acceptable.

But your models are optimized with less parts possible (something that I use only on structure, but my goal for details made it usually over 1500 pieces).

@Porsche96 sorry to derail your topic a bit